Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The more interesting question is how you got malnourished in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Featured Creature posted:

Ok so what's the best way to recover from malnurishment? A Combo of drinking too much then when I stopped I got flu like symptoms (coughing fever etc). I didn't eat for a few days and survived off of coconut want and have just today been able to hold down rice with an egg on top. The woman that's been taking care of me after work and going over homework with her kid suggested ensure. I am no longer dehydrated but I took a shower today and got really light headed.

You're hydrated (sort of), but probably need a few calories. GO SLOW. This is probably not the time to go gorge and feel even more sick. Get some fruit into yourself, and other easily digestible things. Congee is great, soup is really great, as is any kind of smoothie that you like. By the end of a day or so, you'll feel your strength coming back, at which point you can start eating normally again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Featured Creature posted:

Ok so what's the best way to recover from malnurishment? A Combo of drinking too much then when I stopped I got flu like symptoms (coughing fever etc). I didn't eat for a few days and survived off of coconut want and have just today been able to hold down rice with an egg on top. The woman that's been taking care of me after work and going over homework with her kid suggested ensure. I am no longer dehydrated but I took a shower today and got really light headed.

Drugs

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I'd start with beer or bovril and then go from there. Probably bread with butter.

And a good smoke, as well.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dane posted:

I think they're Faeroese, so they might be singing Danish with a weird accent. The song is a Danish folk song from the 1600s, Ramund the Younger.

Admittedly, "Danish with a weird accent" is also a fair description of Norwegian.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Computer viking posted:

Admittedly, "Danish with a weird accent" is also a fair description of Norwegian.

Actually they're all just Swedish accents.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

DekeThornton posted:

Actually they're all just Swedish accents.

Those are fighting words

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Hat posted:

Those are fighting words

Hey at least we had an empire once. :sweden:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think now is probably a good time to fight Happy, all things considered.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Xoidanor posted:

Hey at least we had an empire once. :sweden:

Wasn't Denmark in charge of all the people once?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dino. posted:

Wasn't Denmark in charge of all the people once?

God dammit you're right, I forgot about the viking empire that ruled most of Britain and Scandinavia. My old history teacher is probably rolling in her grave.

:sweden::hf::denmark:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Not to interrupt these moments of cultural sensitivity training with a religionormative cultural tradition, but did y'all want to do the Secret Santa thing again this year? I know the international contingent wanted more time to prepare/mail their packages last year, so I was thinking this time I'd begin signups soon and have assignments out by mid-November.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm down like always.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How does this work, in short?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I am in.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Attention Vegetarians and Vegans: I need some input.

The woman and I are putting together a food business. We might eventually get a food truck, but short term she'll be making food in the mornings at my buddy's pizza shop, and then wholesaling them to the various places she has worked (they all want her food, but due to her recent joint replacement, she wont' be able to hold down a full time job for a while).

Anyway, we are going for an All Can Eat menu, with meat, vegetarian, and vegan food. We want to use a consistent set of symbols to identify every item, so that people can be assured of what they are getting. I was planning on using a letter "V" for vegetarian, and a little heart symbol for vegan (one of the vegan logos is a heart with a "V" in it).

Now the GF wants to use the "V" for Vegan, and make a new symbol for Vegetarian. What do you guys think?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Not to interrupt these moments of cultural sensitivity training with a religionormative cultural tradition, but did y'all want to do the Secret Santa thing again this year? I know the international contingent wanted more time to prepare/mail their packages last year, so I was thinking this time I'd begin signups soon and have assignments out by mid-November.

Yes, of course.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

That is awesome... It seriously has been a question that I had been wondering, and I picked the most beautiful explanation that I could in my mind.

The truth was even more beautiful.

This makes me happy.

Hooray! I have made Happy Hat happy. :tipshat:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

The woman and I are putting together a food business. We might eventually get a food truck, but short term she'll be making food in the mornings at my buddy's pizza shop, and then wholesaling them to the various places she has worked (they all want her food, but due to her recent joint replacement, she wont' be able to hold down a full time job for a while).

Anyway, we are going for an All Can Eat menu, with meat, vegetarian, and vegan food. We want to use a consistent set of symbols to identify every item, so that people can be assured of what they are getting. I was planning on using a letter "V" for vegetarian, and a little heart symbol for vegan (one of the vegan logos is a heart with a "V" in it).

Now the GF wants to use the "V" for Vegan, and make a new symbol for Vegetarian. What do you guys think?

:yayclod: Omnivorous
:yaycloud: Vegetarian
:smithcloud: Vegan

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

contrapants posted:

:yayclod: Omnivorous
:yaycloud: Vegetarian
:smithcloud: Vegan

:catstare: Obligate Carnivore

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

It would be a bit too indiscernible to me.. From the description I was thinking about putting up the v-card for the vegans, and then you would have an o-card for omnivores, and a wider v-card for vegetarians?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

a worthy uhh posted:

:catstare: Obligate Carnivore

:black101: surely

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

VT for vegetarian, V for vegan? Since the letter T doesn't occur in "vegan."

How about symbols? An egg & broccoli for vegetarian, a broccoli & turnip for vegan, a steak for omnivores, or something along those lines.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^Hmmmm good suggestions, but they need to recognizable as small as 3/8" round.

Happy Hat posted:

It would be a bit too indiscernible to me.. From the description I was thinking about putting up the v-card for the vegans, and then you would have an o-card for omnivores, and a wider v-card for vegetarians?

"card"? that seems an unusual usage, not sure what you mean by that.

Not going to use O for meat; going to use letters to tell you what kind of meat, so we can accommodate both Indians (no beef) and kosher/halal (no pork). Just going to use B for beef, P for pork, F for fish.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Since there are so many different flavors of vegetarian, why not just have a bunch of little icons for what's in the food.

Cow - Beef
Chicken - Poultry
Pig - Pork
Egg - Egg
Fish - Fish
Milk bottle - Dairy
Bee - Honey
Peanut - Peanut, nut, and tree nut catch all
Grain - Evil Gluten

And so forth

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Or write out the animal sounds?

Edit: wait... What sound does lettuce make??? This was a bad idea

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Carnivorous
Omnivorous
Vegetarian
Vegan

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

why not just have a bunch of little icons for what's in the food

Good idea, we might do that on the menu. But this is for the pie mold, which has a removable insert where you can put ONE number or letter. I'm going to have get the symbol custom machined.

Here is sort of what it looks like, this isn't the one I ordered:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vegan = W because it's twice as vegetarian (VV)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I agree. Ideally I think two V's would be clearer than a W, but if there's only room for one letter, a W could do.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bombhand posted:

I agree. Ideally I think two V's would be clearer than a W, but if there's only room for one letter, a W could do.

Use a W and refuse to pronounce it as anything other than "Wegan"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Use an N for vegan

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

V for vegetarian
H for high maintenance vegetarian

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use a W and refuse to pronounce it as anything other than "Wegan"

Also speak in a comically exaggerated Swedish accent. Or a normal Swedish accent.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
M for Meatless, V for Vegan? :shrug:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

One thing I've seen is a V for vegan food, an L for vegetarian food containing dairy, and an O for the same containing eggs. Or an LO for the appropriate item. Make sure there's a key at the bottom.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Also speak in a comically exaggerated Swedish accent. Or a normal Swedish accent.

Outside of The Swedish Chef, I don't know what that sounds like... the one Swedish person I knew from grad school spoke perfect, un-accented English.

GrAviTy84 posted:

V for vegetarian
H for high maintenance vegetarian

This was my exact thinking when I picked the heart for Vegan. Get out of my head.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

M for Meatless, V for Vegan? :shrug:

After querying a lot of Vegans, they all said that they would assume that "V" meant vegan, not vegetarian, so you are correct.
However, while I personally like your suggestions, "Meatless" is a poor choice, because you are defining how they eat as a negative.

Besides, according to Erikson, the unconscious mind doesn't process negatives (this is a trick used in hypnosis).
http://www.ericksonian.com/negative-commandssuggestions

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One thing I've seen is a V for vegan food, an L for vegetarian food containing dairy, and an O for the same containing eggs. Or an LO for the appropriate item.

Yeah, it's going to have to be some variation on this... I can buy an "O" or an "L" for $25 each, or I can get something custom made that crams the two together.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Make sure there's a key at the bottom.

That's the plan!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Besides, according to Erikson, the unconscious mind doesn't process negatives (this is a trick used in hypnosis).
Wow, neuro-linguistic programming and hypnosis, that's pretty persuasive. But I think I'd need the opinion of a chiropractor and an aromatherapist to really be convinced.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've got a degree in psychology and this is that magical kind of snake oil where it's almost technically right for certain situations, but it's making poo poo up because it has something to sell, and it sure ain't a peer-reviewed paper about the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh please. I don't buy all of that hook-line-and-sinker, nor do I think of it as hard science.

But the negative thing is pretty obvious: ever tell a child not to do something? Whether they do it or not, all they can think about is doing it.