Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
So because of a broken hand I haven't been able to play for a couple months. Now I'm healed and I've seen a lot of notes about balance changes and dlc and stuff, so quick question for those who've kept playing during this. How are daggers are lighter weapons these days? Last time I was feeling kind of underwhelmed by the dex weapons, especially daggers. And I like daggers. Also, what's the best option for a parry off-hand?

Thanks in advance if anyone has advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Proposition Joe posted:

Iron Passage is the worst because it's the hardest to run through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzYEFLvxYA

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Time_pants posted:

How in the world are guys like Tallgeese still running around able to invade people while others are being soft-banned for hacking in items? What is he doing that others aren't to get around it? I'm not trying to be a dick because it honestly makes no difference to me, but I'm not really sure I understand how he's getting around it.

In truth, I don't know either. I'm apparently the only prolific CE user who has managed to completely dodge softbans.

It may be because a lot of my stuff is hand-made and I go out of my way to make it so that there are no glitches/side effects. Most of the 4chan scripts are very poor and bug-ridden.

For example, the common scripts to stop the phantom timer cause a bug where if the host summons an NPC phantom, the phantom immediately gets sent back only on your end. Mine does not do this.

Well, the rumor is that spawning in items on a Tuesday is a death sentence. I attempted to spawn in Loyce Souls to drop for my co-op hosts (only to find that I can't drop them... yet), so let's see if they finally get me this time.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 2, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Another quick question. I'm in huntsman's copse and I just took out the skeleton bosses (gently caress those guys btw, especially as sorc) and I have been running around in the bastille and ventured into Sinners Rise or whatever it's called and got destroyed by some water wandering monster thing at the bottom of a lift. I'm about Soul Level 101, I have a flame longsword +7 and Archdrake Staff +4 and my best spells were doing about a hundred damage. 38 int, 25 faith, 35 attune, misc other stuff for Drangleic shield and flame longsword.

Are those guys unusually hard, am I not progressed enough? I think I'm way high tier for Huntsman's Copse and stuff because I never, ever get summoned anymore and everything I've gone into seems pretty empty, maybe my gear is not up to snuff? Any advice appreciated.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The big things down there have a lot of hp and are tough yeah. Also if you're in water, fire damage does less to them.

Try backstabbing them :allears:

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Another quick question. I'm in huntsman's copse and I just took out the skeleton bosses (gently caress those guys btw, especially as sorc) and I have been running around in the bastille and ventured into Sinners Rise or whatever it's called and got destroyed by some water wandering monster thing at the bottom of a lift. I'm about Soul Level 101, I have a flame longsword +7 and Archdrake Staff +4 and my best spells were doing about a hundred damage. 38 int, 25 faith, 35 attune, misc other stuff for Drangleic shield and flame longsword.

Are those guys unusually hard, am I not progressed enough? I think I'm way high tier for Huntsman's Copse and stuff because I never, ever get summoned anymore and everything I've gone into seems pretty empty, maybe my gear is not up to snuff? Any advice appreciated.

You're decently levelled but very under-geared. You could try going back and whacking every crystal lizard you've left but YMMV. There is one other boss in the Bastille. If you've won that encounter you'll have access to Belfry Luna, an "anything goes" PvP area with Titanite chunks as the reward.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The big things down there have a lot of hp and are tough yeah. Also if you're in water, fire damage does less to them.

Try backstabbing them :allears:

I'm all Sorc/Hex. Great Soul Arrow, Great heavy, dark orb, dark sword, and I'm two levels away from being able to lug soul spear around.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of backstabs, it's kind of BS how you can't backstab the charred Loyce knights.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Speaking of backstabs, it's kind of BS how you can't backstab the charred Loyce knights.

If you could it would make the fight, even with one knight, super easy. Just oneshot bs them whenever they come out.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Genocyber posted:

If you could it would make the fight, even with one knight, super easy. Just oneshot bs them whenever they come out.

You wouldnt be able to do that without some way to mitigate the fire damage they deal when they exit the portals.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think faith gives bonus to magic and dark damage?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Dark damage scales on the lowest stat between faith and int. If faith is the lowest it scales off that and if int is lowest it scales off that. The soft cap for dark is 30/30.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwack posted:

You wouldnt be able to do that without some way to mitigate the fire damage they deal when they exit the portals.

Can you even deal damage to them before the fire dissipates?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think faith gives bonus to magic and dark damage?

Technically faith affects lightning, dark, and fire damage. INT does the same with magic, dark, and fire. INT does not affect lightning and faith does not affect magic.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Tallgeese, is there a way to unlock all the bonfires with CE?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yes, but I seem to be the only one who has the bonfire intensity pointers now. I'm not sure why that is, you'd think someone else would have updated that by now.

Most people who work with Dark Souls 2 CE tables use static pointers, because they don't have any expertise with assembly. They break with every patch.

However, I will not make the mistake of releasing anything that even theoretically could be abused by the scum who inhabit places like 4chan. I know of two people who made that mistake and regretted it; I apologize.

Like, the standard +14 crash immunity script? It wasn't actually made for immunity. It was made because it allows people to make +14s without crashing themselves, so that they can crash other people.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Can you poison the double kitties? Couldn't beat them before work and I'm brainstorming.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not sure, but try a brightbug if you're really having trouble and just want to get that terrible area over with.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I broke the curse, you bitch, stop calling me the bearer of the curse. Call me, like, I don't know, Great Sovereign. You're literally ruining my immersion right now.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Solomon posted:

Finally went ahead and fought the Old Ivory King. That was a neat fight, can't complain too much about it. I don't intend to do the soul grind, though, that sounds insane. I'm pretty happy with the DLC as a whole, I mostly just think the Frigid Outskirts is complete garbage; if it did have the freezing cold damage you like they originally planned, it would honestly have every single thing I hate about the area design in these games.

The curse-breaking effect of the crowns once you collect all four of them is neat, too, but it's not enough to get me to actually wear one. Considering pretty much the entire reason I bother with the RoLP is to prevent myself from losing the ~800k souls I have on my person at all times, it's not enough to free up a ring slot.

It could have damage over time AND slow movement speed AND interfere with your rolls. 5-2 plus blindness.

Add a little platforming.

They could have been meaner.

Tallgeese posted:

Yes, but I seem to be the only one who has the bonfire intensity pointers now. I'm not sure why that is, you'd think someone else would have updated that by now.

Most people who work with Dark Souls 2 CE tables use static pointers, because they don't have any expertise with assembly. They break with every patch.

However, I will not make the mistake of releasing anything that even theoretically could be abused by the scum who inhabit places like 4chan. I know of two people who made that mistake and regretted it; I apologize.

Like, the standard +14 crash immunity script? It wasn't actually made for immunity. It was made because it allows people to make +14s without crashing themselves, so that they can crash other people.

I had a guy invade me in the Wharf when I was initially doing parrying practice down there with my PVP character. He was a very bad player but I was basically doing chip damage on him -- soul memory of like 200k wearing unremarkable armor and I was doing like 40 damage per Fire Longsword +10 swing and not quite 200 on a backstab. I died. I would just slowly work my way through the area parrying and killing things and about ten minutes later I get the invasion notice and he pops up out of the floor facing away from me on the docks. I jog up and backstab him hoping he'll go into the water but he doesn't, my guard break missed so the little push I was hoping would do it didn't do it. He backs off and drops a piece or armor on the ground and starts gesturing.

I sprinted for the boss door (I still hadn't beaten the Wharf on that guy because I loving hate the Wharf) but he got me with a backstab at the fog gate as expected. Didn't pick that poo poo up because I'm sure it would have gotten me banned or hosed up my game or something.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 2, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but the minor inconvenience by itself is so annoying that it serves to do nothing but annoy you.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Goddamn lightning horses. Is there a good way to keep them in range? They're not particularly dangerous solo, but their stupid close range aoe and jumping away attacks buy enough time for another one to spawn and then I'm in trouble.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Yeah but the minor inconvenience by itself is so annoying that it serves to do nothing but annoy you.

I'm no fan of the blindness, I won't argue that with anyone. Two things that you just shouldn't mess with in a Souls game are the roll mechanic and being able to see your enemies. I'll give the misty Shaded Woods area a pass because you could see them, it was just difficult -- the no lock on thing is always kinda bullshit too and always attached to not being able to see foes for obvious reasons.

Speaking of which they should make it so that when you're chameleon-ed you move about half the speed that you do now. Every once in a while someone decides they want to make you play a game of hit-the-pot and if you're using a thrusting weapon or a weapon with a slow or thrusting running attack it's a real goddamn chore.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm all Sorc/Hex. Great Soul Arrow, Great heavy, dark orb, dark sword, and I'm two levels away from being able to lug soul spear around.

Go join the Bellkeeper's covenant for a while and upgrade your gear a bit. You'll probably get annihilated in most of your matches but once in a while you'll summon in while someone else is already fighting the host and get a free chunk when they kill them. Sometimes you'll fight someone bad or they'll get killed by enemies while you summon in and, again, you'll get a free chunk. Make sure you have enough strength (16) to at least use the Drangleic Shield for PVE -- all the Souls games are totally different if you have a 100% physical shield or if you don't. Later on you can get a 100% shield that's actually quite good and only requires 12 strength, but for now just do 16 and plan to respec.

On my last PVP guy I made I rushed to the Bellkeeper's, upgraded my Fire longsword to 10 and just sat there enjoying the PVP while collecting chunks for a few hours and never really had to worry about getting chunks on that character again. I lost a lot of matches because I'm bad at PVP but I just tried to get better at it and enjoy it. You also get a free slab for killing like 20 trespassers or something if you go talk to that gnome or whatever the gently caress it is after you've done so.

I try not to gank any hosts -- if someone is already there fighting them I let them fight it out. If the host tries to heal or if he has some build I don't like for personal reasons (Haveljester with a dark enchanted katana) of if I previously fought the guy and know he's a douche I can go ahead and gank him though and feel like justice has been served which gives me a tiny greasy boner.

There's no penalty for hopping around between covenants in this game, you can do so as you like.

I'd say you're actually over leveled. Summoning is a function of your Soul Memory in this game, not your soul level, so if you were co-oping bosses for a long time to get souls you could have some soul memory bloat going on. That's normal for when you're new to the game though, as you get better you'll be able to do a lot more with a basic character. Just keep going through the game with your guy, if you decide to try PVP later you can build a guy just for that and make judicious use of your souls toward that goal. I can get to where you are in the game in a couple of hours probably on a new character and after a few times through you'll be able to do the same -- plus after you know you can honestly take out Pursuer and the Last Giant and whatever you can always also summon some phantoms in and just blitzkrieg the early game and have a laugh.

Those big goons down in Sinner's Rise have a lot of HP and hit fairly hard. They're slow, though (unless they do their lunging attack) and are vulnerable to backstabs surprisingly. Baiting their attacks and rolling to their butt to backstab them works fairly well. If you just can't beat them drawing them back to the platform you came down on causes them a lot of trouble because they're too fat to walk though the chains hanging down so you can kite them endlessly around shooting your lasers at them if you must.

Be aware that the boss in Sinner's Rise is considered by some to be the hardest one in the original game. After you open the little iron gate you can run straight down the hall to get to her and there are often summons around to help out if you need it. If that's not enough and especially if you're using magic look up where the Lost Bastille key is and light the pitch troughs to the left and the right before you enter the boss fog.

Make sure you buy Yearn (Carhillion sells it). Some really difficult parts of the game, ones that especially you'll have trouble with as a new player, can really be simplified with Yearn. A lot of the ganky boss fights especially which are shockingly common in DS2.

Sporkie posted:

So because of a broken hand I haven't been able to play for a couple months. Now I'm healed and I've seen a lot of notes about balance changes and dlc and stuff, so quick question for those who've kept playing during this. How are daggers are lighter weapons these days? Last time I was feeling kind of underwhelmed by the dex weapons, especially daggers. And I like daggers. Also, what's the best option for a parry off-hand?

Thanks in advance if anyone has advice.

Dual Daggers are viable in PVP but you don't seem them often -- you'll certainly want the Stone ring on if you decide to try them out. Spears have had a good buff so try pairing your dagger with one of those as a swap. Katanas are still too good but I know you're not a bad person so you won't use those. Rapier is good if you also use the Leo ring and at least one of the other damage rings.

You see people using a variety of things to parry with in their left hand depending on preference. The Buckler and Target Shield have the most frames but they start fairly late into the animation so you have to be a little predictive with faster weapons -- the Buckler seems more popular probably because it has more physical resist, but I prefer Target as it has more stability. If you have hummingbird reflexes and hummingbird brains (don't like to predict) then any curved sword has the same amount of frames (including the monscim now thank god) which is less than the parry shields but these frames start the soonest -- of these the scimitar is the best in my opinion as I usually infuse it to use as a turtle-burner and the bleed effect on the flachion cuts infused damage in half. The "small fast shields" (people use the Small Leather Shield and the Watcher's Shield a lot for this, Watcher infused with Bolt gets you to 100% lightning and lightning is still the most common weapon buff in PVP, it's good against Dark too) have as many frames as the curved swords, slightly slower startup and can function okay as a basic shield against avelyns or spears if you want and are a good in-between option, plus their animations are quick so it's harder for people to backstab you on failed parry attempts. Shield's like Transgressor's, despite their Buckler-like better animation, have terrible parry frames. Daggers, including the parrying dagger, have pretty bad parry frames though the parry dagger is at least useable for that. Fist weapons, your bare hands and any other weapons are terrible. Have a look at the chart.

The short of it in my personal opinion is that you should try the scimitar and the Watcher shield (Small Leather if you haven't killed the Watcher yet) and pick your favorite between those two.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I encountered a strange bug today. Shortly after being summoned I got the message Holy Knight Aurheim has been vanquished despite the host not reaching that area yet. So we clear out the room before it, I go ahead and there's no barrel so I let the host open the chest and...

Guess he decided to go completely invisible this time. Also I just noticed my estus wasn't greyed out either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this probably sounds strange but the overall layout of the castle in the third DLC reminded me a lot of Boletaria. All the narrow corridors, shortcuts and the ways it loops back around on itself, etc. Did anyone else get that vibe at all?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's not all that strange, it's actually a pretty common sentiment.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Found this online for those having trouble with the Frigid Outskirts:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

:ironicat:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having finally gotten around to playing the iron king DLC I can safely say that the Fume Knight is a) a total badass and b) a total goatfucker. I will be pleased when I beat him. I think the iron king DLC might be the best of the lot in my opinion, it took a lot of the things that didn't quite click for me in the main game and made them work well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Can you poison the double kitties? Couldn't beat them before work and I'm brainstorming.
I tried Toxic Mist on Aava and it never stuck. They're probably poison-immune, or at least Toxin-immune.

It's much faster to kill the first kitty with Counter damage ASAP and then just fight the other one 1v1. They don't have as much health each as Aava has by himself.

Tracula posted:

I know this probably sounds strange but the overall layout of the castle in the third DLC reminded me a lot of Boletaria. All the narrow corridors, shortcuts and the ways it loops back around on itself, etc. Did anyone else get that vibe at all?
There are several points where it's directly aping 1-1, including the first bonfire outside the gate (imagine the bonfire is the 1-1 archstone, see it?) and the part where you go inside the wall and work your way down.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Alright, looks like the best way to kill NG+4 double kitties solo is to just keep them both alive with close life then burn them both when they're almost dead to skip the enrage. God that was tedious. The running, the loving running.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Horses are easy if you use either Santier's or twinblade or are willing to use weapons that can slam enemies down like great hammers

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sanctum posted:

I encountered a strange bug today. Shortly after being summoned I got the message Holy Knight Aurheim has been vanquished despite the host not reaching that area yet. So we clear out the room before it, I go ahead and there's no barrel so I let the host open the chest and...

Guess he decided to go completely invisible this time. Also I just noticed my estus wasn't greyed out either.

That means the invasion wasn't processed properly.

When that happens, the phantom does not truly die and basically becomes invincible and invisible.

That, or somebody had a bad invasion timer script. Same result.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I sprinted for the boss door (I still hadn't beaten the Wharf on that guy because I loving hate the Wharf) but he got me with a backstab at the fog gate as expected. Didn't pick that poo poo up because I'm sure it would have gotten me banned or hosed up my game or something.

You had a 99% or so chance of being safe, because the public script to do that hasn't been updated.

Most people who cheat in Dark Souls do not know how to do a single thing by themselves. That's a second reason why I don't release anything. If some people had just kept their mouth shut, the public at large would not have to worry about picking up items destroying their game.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
At first I was kinda okay with the 50 Loyce Souls thing.

Then I found out that they drop other things. A lot of them.

And they all have a much higher drop rate than the souls.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That reminds me. I can drop Loyce Souls now, so if you run into my sign in the Grand Cathedral, feel free to summon and I'll drop 50.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 2, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Lore question: is the Ivory King's castle supposed to be Boletaria, and is he supposed to be Shieldless Lothian?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bigass Moth posted:

Lore question: is the Ivory King's castle supposed to be Boletaria, and is he supposed to be Shieldless Lothian?

It shares some similarities, but there's to support that they're one and the same, and lot to support that they aren't related at all.

I wrapped up the third DLC this morning. I can't help but feeling a bit "done" with Dark Souls 2 now. I'd probably pay for and play more DLC, especially if it's as good as the last three, but Dark Souls 2 feels over with at this point.

Randomly, my two buddies for Ivory King both had the same hats and rings on (picture of the last boss area):

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are no direct lore connections between Demon's and Dark Souls. Eleum Loyce is probably supposed to evoke Boletaria, though.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I haven't played any of the DLCs and I noticed all my saves are gone so I was going to go pure Hex. Has it been gimped since any of the DLCs and are there any guides for what DLC items to look for to maximize the build?

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dual Daggers are viable in PVP but you don't seem them often -- you'll certainly want the Stone ring on if you decide to try them out. Spears have had a good buff so try pairing your dagger with one of those as a swap. Katanas are still too good but I know you're not a bad person so you won't use those. Rapier is good if you also use the Leo ring and at least one of the other damage rings.

You see people using a variety of things to parry with in their left hand depending on preference. The Buckler and Target Shield have the most frames but they start fairly late into the animation so you have to be a little predictive with faster weapons -- the Buckler seems more popular probably because it has more physical resist, but I prefer Target as it has more stability. If you have hummingbird reflexes and hummingbird brains (don't like to predict) then any curved sword has the same amount of frames (including the monscim now thank god) which is less than the parry shields but these frames start the soonest -- of these the scimitar is the best in my opinion as I usually infuse it to use as a turtle-burner and the bleed effect on the flachion cuts infused damage in half. The "small fast shields" (people use the Small Leather Shield and the Watcher's Shield a lot for this, Watcher infused with Bolt gets you to 100% lightning and lightning is still the most common weapon buff in PVP, it's good against Dark too) have as many frames as the curved swords, slightly slower startup and can function okay as a basic shield against avelyns or spears if you want and are a good in-between option, plus their animations are quick so it's harder for people to backstab you on failed parry attempts. Shield's like Transgressor's, despite their Buckler-like better animation, have terrible parry frames. Daggers, including the parrying dagger, have pretty bad parry frames though the parry dagger is at least useable for that. Fist weapons, your bare hands and any other weapons are terrible. Have a look at the chart.

The short of it in my personal opinion is that you should try the scimitar and the Watcher shield (Small Leather if you haven't killed the Watcher yet) and pick your favorite between those two.

Thanks for the solid run down of all the dex and dagger stuffs. One last question, somewhat related, did bleed ever get buffed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Fat_Cow posted:

So I haven't played any of the DLCs and I noticed all my saves are gone so I was going to go pure Hex. Has it been gimped since any of the DLCs and are there any guides for what DLC items to look for to maximize the build?

Keep Dark Orb. Don't bother with GRS, but Resonant Soul and Dark Weapon's still okay. I honestly haven't used the DLC hexes. I'll have to remedy that soon.