Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.

Eh, it's a mute point anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jonked posted:

How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

probably getting trolled but I say it as mew-tant

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Chill la Chill posted:

Jitte
Keranos
Any other foreign words that sound awful when pronounced as American English but it's mostly those two that will endure due to eternal usage.

I've always liked the way Caleb Durward pronounces senseye's divinning top.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Polly Want A Kranos?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

odiv posted:

Eh, it's a mute point anyway.

You...!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Do we do trades and such for MTGO in the trade thread in SA Mart? I don't know that I've seen that. I haven't seen anywhere to add friends on MTGO, either. At least some of you guys still play it, right?

I've tried. Nobody ever really responds. Also, I play 60-card, non-legacy formats. My forum name with 2 4s on the end.

Carrasco posted:

That's just a weaker and needlessly complicated version of indestructible.

It's also a card that already exists: Mark of Asylum.

It's pronounced "Yund." :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Epser
Skimik
PALookratos

though one mispronunciation I actually like is Shindig of Tithes

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

I've tried. Nobody ever really responds. Also, I play 60-card, non-legacy formats. My forum name with 2 4s on the end.

It's also a card that already exists: Mark of Asylum.

It's pronounced "Yund." :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpAnMkrGF8

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Polly with best monster friend forever Stormy. :3:

Does anyone know how much WotC talks with their translation teams? On one hand, you'd think that would be somewhat tight, since it seems pretty easy to do. But on the other hand, you have the Japanese noble/aristocrat nonsense back from INN/DKA.

I ask because never in my life have I heard anyone pronounce the Gatecrash Planeswalker's name rah-de, but the Japanese indicates there are two syllables there. I've always heard one syllable, like "raid." People seem to be split on "dome-ree" vs. "dahm-ree", but for some reason I don't care as much about that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Epser
Skimik
PALookratos

though one mispronunciation I actually like is Shindig of Tithes

Is it really that difficult to say Po-lu-kranos? Really?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I know a guy who unironically calls the card "Pah-LUKE-ren-os." Accent on the LUKE.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Paul U. Kranos' all you can eat buffet: So Good, Even The Owner Would Eat Himself Out Of Business.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can we get Mispronouncing Polukranos on the bingo card?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.

I say it like this and I completely know I'm wrong but my brain always reads it like it's an aerial maneuver by the Great Muta.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Results from the GCC tournament: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8230&f=ST

First place was a blue artifact deck, has Ensoul Artifact finally found a home?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So I decided to update my cube with some of the great 3-color stuff from Khans so I bought a box. Wizard's Towered with 9 packs then went home and opened the rest.

Final pack in the box, just when I think it was decent for value I pull this:

Welp, I guess that's value city.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The set is value city, at least at the moment. Buy 100 boxes and profit, a little at least.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Saw a guy a few days ago buy a case, trade it in for store credit & make more than his money back. Whacked.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Results from the GCC tournament: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8230&f=ST

First place was a blue artifact deck, has Ensoul Artifact finally found a home?

haha those decks are great, I love the heroic deck that's just a block constructed deck with fetches and feat of resistance.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/pvs-playhouse-collection-of-topics/

PV posted:

This is how you get better. It’s not by doing push-ups. It’s not by eating fruit, it’s not by running miles. People who say those things make it sound like Magic is Karate Kid, where the guy hangs coats for months and then suddenly finds himself a Kung Fu master without actually ever practicing Kung Fu

Oh PV! :allears:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

He really comes off as a huge prick in that article.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

He's like the Dwight Schrute of M:tG. Diet and exercise? FALSE.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think I get what he's saying, which is that losing a hundred pounds or eating healthy (or whatever) isn't going to suddenly make you a steely-minded Magic player and that if you want to focus on one thing, it's better (for Magic purposes) to live on bags of Cheetos and practice the poo poo out of Magic, rather than the opposite. He even acknowledges that fitness and health are very desirable for their own sake.

That said, I'm confused as to why he felt it necessary to mention this at all. He alludes to some "widespread" idea about fitness being related to Magic success, but I can't say I've ever encountered it before. The entire section of the article is completely out of left field.

I think he had a pretty good partial point about trying too hard to astroturf the clan names. I mean, I think a lot of decks going forward are going to be called Sultai whatever and that's not necessarily worth railing against, but saying that Justin Gary played "Sultai Oath" in 2002 just sounds ridiculous, like the Magic equivalent of Mormon posthumous baptism.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

That said, I'm confused as to why he felt it necessary to mention this at all. He alludes to some "widespread" idea about fitness being related to Magic success, but I can't say I've ever encountered it before. The entire section of the article is completely out of left field.

Travis Woo. The guy streams Magic with his shirt off and rambles about how the latest diet is going to make him a perfectly sculpted Magic machine.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Greatness at any weight.

Honestly, I think he might be doing a disservice to the community by making this straw-man argument. Yes, we all know that literally doing 20 push-ups doesn't make you better at deckbuilding. No one is positing that.
What people are saying is that trading in your health for a marginal increase in skill in a hobby about magical wizards isn't good, and you should work to balance your health with your sedentary hobby.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Travis Woo. The guy streams Magic with his shirt off and rambles about how the latest diet is going to make him a perfectly sculpted Magic machine.

You'd hope that PV of all people would realize that engaging with TWoo is beneath him, but I guess not :shepface:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I definitely agree with Paulo on the naming of "Jeskai Tempo". Is it called that because aggro with blue must = tempo to some? To me the deck isn't Tempo unless we're calling Zoo "Naya Tempo" now.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6i1grHQ3g

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Humblebrag time: I got my Girlfriend two packs to open today and she cracked Flooded Strand, Rattleclaw Mystic, Wooded Foothills (Foil) (!!!!!!!)

So great jorb girlfriend, you're the best at opening packs!

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 2, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Quick question, has anyone seen any misprint/miscut Tromokratis? I'd be interested in picking them up if you have. (no crimps though.)

I've already got an artist proof, and an art print, so I'm thinking I'll keep picking more tromo stuff up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mehall posted:

Quick question, has anyone seen any misprint/miscut Tromokratis? I'd be interested in picking them up if you have. (no crimps though.)

I've already got an artist proof, and an art print, so I'm thinking I'll keep picking more tromo stuff up.

I have a Foil Miscut Pearl Lake Ancient, but no Tromokratis, sorry :(

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Humbebrag time: I got my Girlfriend two packs to open today and she cracked Flooded Strand, Rattleclaw Mystic, Wooded Foothills (Foil) (!!!!!!!)

So great jorb girlfriend, you're the best at opening packs!

Rule of thumb is that girlfriends are excellent at opening crazy good packs.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Balon posted:

So I decided to update my cube with some of the great 3-color stuff from Khans so I bought a box. Wizard's Towered with 9 packs then went home and opened the rest.

Final pack in the box, just when I think it was decent for value I pull this:

Welp, I guess that's value city.

I ran through that box practicing sealed and came across this in a pack:

Very next pack was a Wooded Foothills, and I got another Bloodstained Mire and a Windswept Heath elsewhere in the box.

And yet I opened ONE Hordeling Outburst :psyduck: (I need a set for Mardu Tokens)

It's like Stoke the Flames being sold out all over. Why are there some uncommons that are basically mythics this year?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Very next pack was a Wooded Foothills, and I got another Bloodstained Mire and a Windswept Heath elsewhere in the box.

And yet I opened ONE Hordeling Outburst :psyduck: (I need a set for Mardu Tokens)

It's like Stoke the Flames being sold out all over. Why are there some uncommons that are basically mythics this year?

I'll trade you a playset of Horling Outburst for a Bloodstained Mire. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They actually did increase the number of Uncommons in each set with M15, so your odds of opening a particular one in a given pack are slightly lower. $3.99 for an in-print uncommon is still stupid though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

They actually did increase the number of Uncommons in each set with M15, so your odds of opening a particular one in a given pack are slightly lower. $3.99 for an in-print uncommon is still stupid though.

I mean I have like 6 extras so I'm not complaining.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's been since Zen block that a box has had enough goodness to get me to crack one and my first Ktk box was awesome (1 of each fetch and 10-12 $5+ cards) but what's up 1 Hordeling outburst buddy. My foil UC was a Mardu charm and my foil rare was McDurdle, with non foil Mcdurdle :/. At $105 though it was still mad money though and for the moment it's not a bad deal. I am going to try and trade away all my rares for fetches before the bottom drops out on $7 mantis riders and such.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I have like 6 extras so I'm not complaining.

Sell them now to whoever's willing to pay a stupid inflated price for an uncommon that sees no play outside Standard.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
And as always expect some pretty mad pricejumps right after the PT.

Lars fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

I think he had a pretty good partial point about trying too hard to astroturf the clan names. I mean, I think a lot of decks going forward are going to be called Sultai whatever and that's not necessarily worth railing against, but saying that Justin Gary played "Sultai Oath" in 2002 just sounds ridiculous, like the Magic equivalent of Mormon posthumous baptism.
I think it's hilarious in a "look at that :spergin: dork" kinda way. Sure, BUG and RUG have been around forever, but RWU has been "America" since its inception too. Throwing a hissy fit over deck naming is minuscule at best and sounds like the kind of thing I'd expect someone who gets mad about being offered a handshake to bitch about.

• Locked thread