Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KObot
Mar 11, 2008
I think I read somewhere that knitting from the back on the first/last stitches of each needle helps with laddering on dpns, and it did help for me but it could be a coincidence. Also those stitches will look different, so, there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just pull my stitches hella tight. You want to do it on the first and second stitch of the new needle, but it's always worked fine for me.

That said, I use four needles, which might make a difference like FelicityGS said.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Oh cool, a knitting thread! Here's my contribution for the week.

I've been taking a break from my knitting but I finally finished up a project over the weekend. It's a condo sweater based on this pattern. http://thehumblebeet.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/condo-sweater/

My first large needle, small yarn seed stitch project. I'm really looking forward to making a hoodie with a similar stitch.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!

Harvey posted:

Sorry, this is from a little while back, but I just spotted your post. I would really like to learn nalbinding, so if you don't mind, I'm really curious- how you learned, how has the process been going for you, & if you have any resources on the subject you could recommend for learning & tips (books, websites, youtube videos)?

I learned naalbinding from youtube videos, and I can't really say I recommend it "okay, start with a knot, I can do that HOLY CRAP RRRRRGH WHAT DID YOU JUST DO IN BETWEEN FRAMES THAT MADE IT WORK?" If there's an SCA group in your area, someone might be able to teach you. I've found it's easier to learn by having a piece started, then figuring out how to continue the stitch. After that, "how to start the stitch from youtube vids" is less daunting. (I'm at username at gmail if you'd like a few pieces of scrap sent to you)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I’m having a lot of trouble with knitting the Horai Scarf. It’s a very simple repeat but this is my first airy lace project of lace yarn on big needles and I am having trouble adjusting the tension and how the yarn passes through my hands as I knit.

I tried US11 needles 3x and got up to 3 repeats, and then realized I made a mistake in the first row… Since this is a gift, I frogged and am trying it on US10 to make it easier, and still I messed it up and had to frog.

Any lace tips?

I’ve knitted “lace” in socks and hats before at a much tighter gauge so I feel the trouble is not being used to this loose gauge. I have to finish this scarf by end of the month so I am a bit upset this isn’t working out so far.

e: Realized most of my trouble comes from k yo k into 1 stitch--that yo gets really tight as I do that second knit, and then I have to wiggle the 3 stitches on to the right needle to loosen them up. Tonight I realized I can use my left thumb to hold the yo in place as I pull the needle through for that 2nd k!!

jomiel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Harvey
Jul 8, 2004

Cat Whisperer
Thanks for all the responses! It's funny because I'm generally more of a tight knitter & I've never had a laddering problem except for socks. I hadn't considered spreading out on 4 DPNs, but it makes sense. I guess I'd worry about my trying to make 3 needle directions on 4 needles work, as my brain would probably screw something up along the way. But I'm going to get the circs & try magic loop first; if that doesn't work for me then I'll give the 4 needle suggestion a shot.

petecas posted:

I learned naalbinding from youtube videos, and I can't really say I recommend it "okay, start with a knot, I can do that HOLY CRAP RRRRRGH WHAT DID YOU JUST DO IN BETWEEN FRAMES THAT MADE IT WORK?" If there's an SCA group in your area, someone might be able to teach you. I've found it's easier to learn by having a piece started, then figuring out how to continue the stitch. After that, "how to start the stitch from youtube vids" is less daunting. (I'm at username at gmail if you'd like a few pieces of scrap sent to you)

Oh wow, yes! That would be amazing! Between having a piece to reference & some better videos (thanks drat Satyr, those are the best ones I've seen so far) I'll see if I can start figuring it out by myself.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Harvey posted:

Thanks for all the responses! It's funny because I'm generally more of a tight knitter & I've never had a laddering problem except for socks. I hadn't considered spreading out on 4 DPNs, but it makes sense. I guess I'd worry about my trying to make 3 needle directions on 4 needles work, as my brain would probably screw something up along the way. But I'm going to get the circs & try magic loop first; if that doesn't work for me then I'll give the 4 needle suggestion a shot.

I fixed my laddering problem by always knitting a few stitches off of the next needle so the transfer point between needles was always shifting. I haven't made socks though. Is that a bad idea for socks?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Harvey posted:

Oh wow, yes! That would be amazing! Between having a piece to reference & some better videos (thanks drat Satyr, those are the best ones I've seen so far) I'll see if I can start figuring it out by myself.

I don't know if it would be much more help, but I've got a pretty good camera. I could probably make some much slower videos about starting the stitches and show it from a few different angles or something.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Harvey posted:

Envelope sent! Also, offer's open to anyone else who's interested in naalbinding and think they'd learn better with a bit to start from.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I fixed my laddering problem by always knitting a few stitches off of the next needle so the transfer point between needles was always shifting. I haven't made socks though. Is that a bad idea for socks?

I only really get laddering now for a while after I switch to a new-to-me pair of needles from a brand or line I've never used before. After a while I get used to it and they go away. I knit quite tightly and it's completely second nature to me now to pull the first two or three stitches on a DPN much tighter.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

It's fine for socks, but knowing which sets of needles is the front and back helps if there's a pattern, or if there's shaping to be done. At some point a heel and toe have to be worked-- depending on how you do those it's possible it won't matter at all, and possible it will totally screw it up.

For ladders, the best advice I've received: Knit the first stitch on the new needle/side a little tighter, and knit the second stitch MUCH tighter than normal. Go back to normal gauge for the rest of the needle.

Also Magic Loop (using Addi Turbos or even Denises) helps tremendously for me. The fewer spots for ladders to form, the better!

I finished my Clapotis (Ravelry project link)! There are 21,698 of these things listed on Rav right now. :psyduck:

(More pictures are on the Ravelry page.)

This is Knitpicks Shimmer in Bayou (from one of the packs they did a few years back). I used 43g of yarn for a scarf-sized Clapotis, and unblocked dimension are 44" x 7" (straight section), 50" tip to tip.

I stopped twisting the stitches about a foot in, and I am very happy with the results. I don't know what was up with this yarn that made it behave the opposite of how twisted stitches are supposed to behave!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Does anyone else stop knitting during the summer time? I've been keeping up with the thread, but I just have not picked up my project for months. I'm back at it now though.

And speaking of, I need some help. This is kind of knitting/crochet crossover, but I'm hoping someone will have some advice here. I'm working this pattern http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/lysedug.html and at the end it says to knit the last round and then start crocheting.

How does one do that? Do I have to take it off the cables first or do it as I go? Is there a good video of how to do this somewhere? My searching isn't working so well.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's interesting. Usually a pattern will have you bind off knit before you start crocheting.

OK, here's what I think they're doing: you're leaving the loops from the final row on the cables to start. You would then insert your crochet hook into the first 2 loops on the needles, and do your sc to fasten them together while simultaneously binding off those 2 stitches. Then you chain 5, and sc into the next 2 knit loops on the needles. Repeat until the round is finished.

I'm not sure how that actually works because it's not something I've ever seen before. I might have to experiment a bit . . .

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
It looks like you're crocheting the knit stitches together as a way to bind off, so you'd be crocheting them OFF of the needle. (Meaning, you'd leave the stitches on the needle as though you were going to knit some more, and then removing the stitches from the knitting needle as you worked them in crochet)
The first crochet row says to "[(US)single crochet two stitches together, chain 5]". It will probably be a bit fiddly to do, but you'd do it like a crochet cast off.

This YouTube tutorial is similar to what you're doing, but she's crocheting together 3 stitches.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I have a bit of an odd request...like I may be totally off the mark with this one.

So, I have not really been knitting or crocheting any the past few months. I think I just got overwhelmed and focused on IRL/grown up problems, but I am ready to get back to work on some projects.

Also, lately I have started running. I was kind of thinking that it might be nice to combine hobbies and maybe knit some stuff for running when it gets cold? Based on the Running Megathread in YLLS, I was thinking maybe I could knit some gloves/mittens and a beanie (or a "toboggan" as we like to call them in the South). However, I would like to do something where the type of yarn and the pattern are conducive to running (breathability, sweat, etc). So, for anybody that runs and knits, do you have any ideas of patterns for running hats, gloves, etc. for winter? Any recommendations for yarns?

Also, I'm a pretty straight laced, conservative dude in terms of how I dress (in case that affects, color schemes, yarn choice, etc.).

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
For 'active wear' and knitting, you really can't go wrong with wool. Many synthetic fibers will start to feel manky and nasty and cold if you start sweating, wool will wick up the moisture and still feel warm. As for design, I'd do a longer 'watch cap' (basic stocking cap design) so you can pull it down over your ears, or even a long tube so you can have your head exposed if you start to overheat but fold it over when you want to be warmer. Give me a few and I can look up some ravelry patterns. For basics, you want something that fits snugly based on its own tension, not straps or buttons or anything you'd have to screw with to put them on/off. A design with a deep ribbed band or all over ribbing for a hat, for example.

As for gloves/mittens, if you're not handling a lot of stuff when running, mittens will keep your hands warmer but it's really a personal preference as to what you'd want to wear.

EDIT:
Runner's Watchcap
Waffle Stitch Mittens

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 24, 2014

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I do snow biking and hike in the cold and wool is really the only way to go. Synthetics get gross fast and don't stay warm when they're damp; cotton could possibly give you hypothermia because it's terrible at dealing with moisture and keeps it by the skin. Andean chullo style hats are great because they cover your ears; if you don't want a hat, I have a few bike-knit friends who made themselves headbands that cover their ears.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I've knit this Waffle hat for my husband in a nice superwash wool and he seems to enjoy it for walks.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

amykinz posted:

Thanks to both for your advice and help. I'll definitely post the results.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Thanks for the running gear recs! What is a good cast on for hats? I normally use long tail, but I was thinking German twist, for elasticity? Thoughts?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

laertes22 posted:

Thanks for the running gear recs! What is a good cast on for hats? I normally use long tail, but I was thinking German twist, for elasticity? Thoughts?

I like cable cast-on, done two needle sizes up for things that need stretch. German twist looks like it should be good, too.

I do all my hats top-down because I am too lazy to swatch so the cast-on doesn't matter as much, though. :ssh:

Lorryn
Nov 15, 2010

My first attempt at double knit. The tension always seemed a little weird when I was knitting it, I held both strands in one hand and switched back and forth between the two. Any advice on how to keep the tension even?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Are there any 100% angora yarns y'all could recommend? Preferably in worsted weight and with heathery colours available, but I can work with anything.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Did anyone else on the Knitty mailing list get almost spam from knitty a couple of days ago?

Harvey
Jul 8, 2004

Cat Whisperer
petecas, I got your samples in the mail. Thank you so much! If I have any success with learning nalbinding, I'll report my results.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Amykinz posted:

Did anyone else on the Knitty mailing list get almost spam from knitty a couple of days ago?

Are you talking about the "Knitty partner" thing? I got that and unsubscribed so hard. I'll look for their stuff to show up on Ravelry instead.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

effika posted:

Are you talking about the "Knitty partner" thing? I got that and unsubscribed so hard. I'll look for their stuff to show up on Ravelry instead.

Yeah, if you're talking about that I unsubscribed pretty quickly--I had already unsubscribed from the list for the new knittys and they still sent me that email.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

effika posted:

Yup. "It's totally not spam because Amy Singer sent it from her own email and no one else saw your email, but the only thing you consented to us sending you was updates!". I predict they're losing a lot of subscribers over that.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That Plug And Play Shawls & Scarves thing? I didn't think about it until now but yeah, it bugs me that Knitty used their own mailing list to advertise Amy Singer's Craftsy class. I haven't paid attention to Knitty emails for a long time because of my previously-ranted-upon boredom with Knitty, but I'll probably unsubscribe now too if this is setting any sort of precedent.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Harvey posted:

petecas, I got your samples in the mail. Thank you so much! If I have any success with learning nalbinding, I'll report my results.

I'm glad they showed up! Good luck!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Holy crap, I finished a thing!

Socks!

Made from handspun, a modified Cookie A pattern (it's called Kai-Mei, great pattern - I basically just made it stockinette and swapped the lace panel for a cabled panel).

The cables look like hearts! :3

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Cross-posting from the Etsy thread:

Zantie posted:

Hey guys! So it's been ages since I closed my Etsy shop (2010) but I recently got a lovely email from a customer who was hoping to place a custom knit order. I can't do it cause of my wrists among other things, and I'm hoping someone in here might be able to take it.

This is (I think) the base of the original order: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/11933104

This is what he sent:

quote:

Back in 2008 I purchased from you two little hearts in a container for the only woman I have ever loved. Due to unfortunate family circumstances, we parted ways two years later. However, five years later we found each other in a matter of serendipity, and have been dating and falling in love all over again. I nearly cried when i found that she still has all the letters I had written her in college, and along with them, the hearts I bought from you. I hope you get this message, and I hope you're still making your crafts. Id also love to purchase another box from you, but I want it to overflow this time. Having her back in my life has given me new breath in my lungs, and I hope to shower her in love and adoration moreso this time around. If there's any way you can help me make that happen, you'd make me a very happy man.

As you can tell, this is completely awesome and I want to help make this happen. Normally I'd browse and pick one of you guys to PM and ask privately, and I feel terrible that I haven't kept up with this thread or who's currently active at all, but life is pretty crazy for me and I really don't have time to go back and read everything.

I can provide the PDF pattern for how to make the full-sized kind and will be available if there are any questions. PLEASE tell me one of you is willing/can take this up. I can PM his email (he said that'd be fine) or link him directly to a storefront.

Thank you! :sparkles:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Holy crap, I finished a thing!

Socks!

Made from handspun, a modified Cookie A pattern (it's called Kai-Mei, great pattern - I basically just made it stockinette and swapped the lace panel for a cabled panel).

The cables look like hearts! :3

Wow, these are great. That handspun is super impressive.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Zantie posted:

Cross-posting from the Etsy thread:

As you can tell, this is completely awesome and I want to help make this happen. Normally I'd browse and pick one of you guys to PM and ask privately, and I feel terrible that I haven't kept up with this thread or who's currently active at all, but life is pretty crazy for me and I really don't have time to go back and read everything.

I can provide the PDF pattern for how to make the full-sized kind and will be available if there are any questions. PLEASE tell me one of you is willing/can take this up. I can PM his email (he said that'd be fine) or link him directly to a storefront.

Thank you! :sparkles:
[/quote]
That sounds like a fuckload of work. How big a box has to "overflow" and how much money are you talking?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
What weight of yarn is it?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

gently caress it, love is rare enough. I'd knit a few and send it to whoever.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

gently caress it, love is rare enough. I'd knit a few and send it to whoever.

Yeah, this could be really awesome if a bunch of people got involved. I'd be happy to knit a few as well.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys, this is for a store, it's not for kittens with cancer or something. You deserve to get paid for your work.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
He didn't specify a quantity to get "overflowing" but the hearts are at most 1.5" tall, and my biggest box at the time (one of those candy type with a clear window so you can see them from the top) comfortably fit four. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure the pack of four hearts took me an hour to make, I used plastic beads for eyes, scrap yarn for stuffing, and with shipping they were $15-20. In retrospect, I sold myself short and should've charged more, especially since my wrists never fully recovered :(

Anne Whately is right, pricing would be whatever you decide it BUT count your time, he's not expecting charity. It's a nice Christmas gift that he'll want to feel good about which means making sure you aren't selling yourself or other knitters short. Think of it like this, if he didn't care, he'd just buy some cheap thing made in China that looks similar enough.

He'll understand that it will cost more than what he originally purchased since he's asking for more, it was 6 years ago(!), and the costs of materials and shipping would have gone up (which they have).

If any of you are still interested and have a storefront I can link him to that. If you're willing to work with him without a storefront then I'd hope you would accept Google Checkout or Paypal (I actually have no idea which of these he's used, what I'm saying is don't do this for free).

Zantie fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
So here's a scarf that I have been working on. I am a total newbie at this, but I wanted to make something nice for a lady friend. All I have been doing is alternating between knit and purl with dropping the first stitch in a row but I have no clue how I got these raised rows. It would be awesome if I was doing it in purpose but I don't know what I am doing or how to replicate it. Any pro knitters in the know? And should I keep going or unravel it? I've done it a couple times already so I can live with it.

Sorry for the bad quality. Dropped my phone one too many times. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: fixed the photo. Oops.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 6, 2014