Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I went back and reread some of the Stan stories from Ant. Ant, your wife is a saint, sitting at the same table with that guy. Also, are your kids old enough to play D&D yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Isn't there a card where you throw it on the table and it kills any cards it lands on? The classic story is someone tore it into confetti and sprinkled it all over his opponent's cards.

Could you use that on a different table?
You can't ever affect a game that you're not involved in. The apocryphal tale is that someone tore up a Chaos Orb so it could hit everything on his opponent's board (and then lost the game because the Orb was now considered a "marked card"). This is referenced on Chaos Confetti and is roughly as believable as a Nigerian prince actually leaving you his vast fortune.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I don't think the Unglued and unhinged cards should count in this case, considering cards like this exist.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They are explicitly joke cards with ridiculous rules on purpose, so yeah they probably shouldn't count.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I just mentioned the story that a magic-playing friend told me, so I couldn't vouch for the veracity. And considering the poo poo he mentioned, I'd would believe some sperglord would use a card that way.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dr_Amazing posted:

Isn't there a card where you throw it on the table and it kills any cards it lands on? The classic story is someone tore it into confetti and sprinkled it all over his opponent's cards.

Could you use that on a different table?

No, the combo you use is some way to turn every one of your opponent's creatures into confetti orbs under your control, and then tear up his deck. Someone posted how to do that dammed if I remember.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Magic Apocrypha: Someone once told me about someone else who made a deck that consisted of nothing but cards that forced your opponent to shuffle his deck. The theory was that you could take that to a Type I (the 'play pretty much anything' format, dunno what they call it now) tournament, and your opponents would concede because they would rather do that than risk damaging their Black Lotus and Moxes by having to shuffle them 30+ times in a single match. I'm not sure which I find more unbelievable: The thought that someone would try and pull a dumb stunt like that, or the likelihood that it might actually work.

Edit:

darth cookie posted:

Given that a black lotus card can sell for $3000 to $15000 each, this is not surprising.
Seriously??? The last I heard the Black Lotus was in the ~$300 range, but that was around 2000 and I figured the price had plateaued. :psyduck:

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 30, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Given that a black lotus card can sell for $3000 to $15000 each, this is not surprising.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Why would you not have cards that expensive in sleeves? Hell, double sleeve all your cards

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Why would you not have cards that expensive in sleeves? Hell, double sleeve all your cards

Of course you would. But these cards were only printed once in the early nineties. After 20 plus years, even in sleeves, they're going to take a bit of wear.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
From what I hear in early Magic tournaments sleeves weren't allowed for some reason. The version I've heard is that that strategy was quite successful until they a) stopped people doing it because it was dicks and b) sleeves became allowed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doodmons posted:

From what I hear in early Magic tournaments sleeves weren't allowed for some reason. The version I've heard is that that strategy was quite successful until they a) stopped people doing it because it was dicks and b) sleeves became allowed.

They weren't allowed because people thought that they gave you an advantage (somehow), nowadays they're almost required because super-old land that you've been playing with for 20 years but are still technically legal would be super noticable against your fresh shiny new cards, letting you know when you're drawing into land.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Magic Apocrypha: Someone once told me about someone else who made a deck that consisted of nothing but cards that forced your opponent to shuffle his deck. The theory was that you could take that to a Type I (the 'play pretty much anything' format, dunno what they call it now) tournament, and your opponents would concede because they would rather do that than risk damaging their Black Lotus and Moxes by having to shuffle them 30+ times in a single match. I'm not sure which I find more unbelievable: The thought that someone would try and pull a dumb stunt like that, or the likelihood that it might actually work.
In early tournaments sleeves weren't allowed because of the way old sleeves and lighting interacted, making them hard to read at an angle. However, there is specifically a rule against doing things that have no effect on the game state repeatedly (e.g. forcing a shuffle, using a Seeker of Skybreak to untap forever, etc.) and if a judge thinks you're doing this maliciously, you will likely get shuffled straight out of the tournament.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

They weren't allowed because people thought that they gave you an advantage (somehow), nowadays they're almost required because super-old land that you've been playing with for 20 years but are still technically legal would be super noticable against your fresh shiny new cards, letting you know when you're drawing into land.

Also; marking the sleeves was thought to be a thing. Then they realized people could just mark cards, and cards of different ages are really obvious anyway.

So now new, fresh sleeves are the best way to go. You don't want to have your opponent call a judge over because your sleeves are all crinkled and be accused of marking.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

darth cookie posted:

Also; marking the sleeves was thought to be a thing. Then they realized people could just mark cards, and cards of different ages are really obvious anyway.

So now new, fresh sleeves are the best way to go. You don't want to have your opponent call a judge over because your sleeves are all crinkled and be accused of marking.

You don't want to go to tournaments in the first place. There are two kinds of people at tournaments: Shitlords-to-be and normal folks who haven't had a shitlord explode on them for touching their library. The normal folks are vanishingly rare.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

You don't want to go to tournaments in the first place. There are two kinds of people at tournaments: Shitlords-to-be and normal folks who haven't had a shitlord explode on them for touching their library. The normal folks are vanishingly rare.

Eh. I burnt out on magic at Lorwyn. Which is a shame because I got my hands on a stack of Shards of Alara stuff later and would have really liked to play that when it was standard. Rolled back in about 12 months ago and then drifted out again when the Co owner of my local card store died. Guy was only 40 and was loving hysterical to draft with. Wasn't really the same afterwards. :sigh:

FNM Magic is pretty ok, but yeah tourney guys are nuts.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ascendance posted:

I went back and reread some of the Stan stories from Ant. Ant, your wife is a saint, sitting at the same table with that guy. Also, are your kids old enough to play D&D yet?

50 Foot Ant makes poo poo up. Some people are entertained. Others are not. He has multiple accounts because apparently he literally cannot stop writing or some other dumb thing.
I kind of wish he didn't post here because there is always somebody who doesn't know his gimmick and praises him and a lot of people are sick of it and mock the praise-giver, also his stories are repetitive as gently caress.

Anyway, I hope my players like what I've got planned this Friday. I'm planning a Mage murder mystery and I'm honestly having a blast figuring out the steps they're likely to take info gathering and work out what to tell them. Is it possible to have a notable gaming experience outside of the actual game?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

VanSandman posted:

50 Foot Ant makes poo poo up. Some people are entertained. Others are not. He has multiple accounts because apparently he literally cannot stop writing or some other dumb thing.
I kind of wish he didn't post here because there is always somebody who doesn't know his gimmick and praises him and a lot of people are sick of it and mock the praise-giver, also his stories are repetitive as gently caress.

Anyway, I hope my players like what I've got planned this Friday. I'm planning a Mage murder mystery and I'm honestly having a blast figuring out the steps they're likely to take info gathering and work out what to tell them. Is it possible to have a notable gaming experience outside of the actual game?

:getout: Nobody cares or wants this discussion in the thread and people like you haranguing on about it has derailed and killed more threads on the forums than any other bad posting trend.

Good luck with your Mage murder mystery, though! Don't be afraid to make it kind of silly, though, it's hard to take Mage seriously.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I admit I had a lot of fun at the Khans prerelease but I'm sort of intimidated to just play with other random people at FNM or whenever they're hanging out at the FLGS. The whole adage of any club that would have me as a member is one I don't wanna be a part of fits pretty perfectly for playing stupid cardgames with strangers, even casually. It's a shame because I had some friends around where I used to live and we would do kitchen table magic pretty often, no real pressure or anything there. Now there's nobody I really know here to play with and the buddies I do have aren't interested in stupid bits of cardboard at all :smith:.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

FNM drafting at a card store run by a non-imbecile is fine. It's casual enough that the spergin' is minimal (but it never really goes away), but competitive enough to be interesting. The most important thing is to see how the owners run the show. If they set the tone right, its gold. Heck, just hang around one night to see how it goes down. If you witness an excess of nasal whining over card placement or life counting, or the detritus runs so deep you can't actually see the floor, shuffle the gently caress outta there and find another card store. The good thing about FNM is that you've got a reason to meet people. After you've played a couple of rounds you get to know people and suddenly you're not surrounded by total strangers anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think if I actually got into Magic again (after briefly getting into in Fifth Edition) I would just constantly try to build theme decks with no real inclination to make them effective in competition.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

This has been the complete opposite of my experience. I mean yeah, you're always gonna have a few sperglords in the mix, but that's true for every hobby that requires human interaction. But most people who play in magic tournaments are just normal (if nerdy) people who want to play a card game and oh look there's prizes if I do well enough. What darth cookie said is pretty much the standard; if the store looks/sounds/smells like it's run by a basement-dwelling ogre, don't go there. Find a store that has lights and windows and is clean, and you will be playing will people who bathe, are okay with your cards only being turned 80 degrees when tapped, etc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

darth cookie posted:

FNM drafting at a card store run by a non-imbecile is fine. It's casual enough that the spergin' is minimal (but it never really goes away), but competitive enough to be interesting. The most important thing is to see how the owners run the show. If they set the tone right, its gold. Heck, just hang around one night to see how it goes down. If you witness an excess of nasal whining over card placement or life counting, or the detritus runs so deep you can't actually see the floor, shuffle the gently caress outta there and find another card store. The good thing about FNM is that you've got a reason to meet people. After you've played a couple of rounds you get to know people and suddenly you're not surrounded by total strangers anymore.

FNM at my FLGS is usually pretty good, except when the pro tour is nearby then all the people with their 10,000 dollar decks show up to curbstomp the local plebes with minimal risk to their ranking.

When I first got back into the game during Innistrad block, there was one guy who had a complete playset of all the legal swords and would just sideboard in whatever he needed to specifically gently caress you over. What do you mean you don't have four copies of the rare spell from 3 sets ago? Just quit playing scrub.

drafting however seems to be pretty okay and is almost entirely luck based rather than "Buy all the rares"

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Sooo, my players wanted something a bit more complicated than OSH. So we started playing Numenera. And the best way to sum up my players in this is idiots that tinker with things they don't understand, and then explosions happen.

My current players are

A Strong Glaive Who Masters weaponry, Ex-merc who wants to explore the world and do good in general, currently lugging around a wing off of a fighter drone as a sword.
A Clever Nano who Rides the Lightning, lunatic scientist who wants to tinker with everything. did some upgrades on herself wich increases her power but she now needs recharging.
A Artificially Intelligent Jack WHo fuses Flesh and Steel, Ex(probably Russian) Combat Engineering Bot, who thinks he's called M. survivor of a nuclear winter. and currently clocking in at something like 6 armor. wich is a LOT in numenera. only downside to him is that he can't regen his Might or Speed stat, and that he requires repairs. Also a loon who tinkers with everything.

In the first session only the Glaive and Nano were playing in wich they achieved the following.

Met up with some people who came out of a travelling gateway, who wanted them to find someone who had stolen something from them. Went to the nearby town to find said person and found out that they've been lied to and that the people they met are part of a cult worshipping a sun god.

And everything mainplot related ends there, in the first hour or so of play.

They found an old hovercar, that they spent a couple of days working on to get it running again. They named it "the screaming goblin". Drove it to a lake where supposedly some monster was eating the locals. They then went and rolled nothing but 18 or higher for the next ten or so rolls. causing them to not take any damage, and completely demolish the encounter.

The nano then swam across the lake to a central island, to a interesting looking tree. The nano with the use of some books and old maps worked out that the interesting tree was most likely a communications array or part of one. She activated it and raised a satellite dish out of the lake. wich promptly started blasting number station type static(played 2 or 3 stations through each other for them, freaked them out a bit). The Glaive decided that the antenna was probably connected to a bigger structure and dove into the lake himself, finding a big-rear end blast-door. Having traded all his non-combat Cyphers(one-time use powerful items) for a bunch of gravity field grenades he blew out the door. Draining the lake, and causing him and the nano to get swept down into the facility, both of them managed to survive due to good rolls and they started exploring. Upon wich they found out that the place used to be a communications array, and that it was talking to something in orbit.

the first sessions ended here.

The Glaive and Nano aren't very creative players, and the Jack is the same guy who threw the goblin and caused most of the shenanigans in the second and third OSH sessions.

Pretty early on in session two my players find the Jack in stasis. Unstasis him and he immediately starts yelling about the war and having to fight some corporation/alliance. He doesn't know wich one exactly. He tells them about the war, the winter and the fact that the station they are in has a brother in space. They venture deeper into the facility, running into it's mechanized humanoids and raptors that are used for defense, kill several then rebuild them into one mega-raptor that the nano currently rides around on. they spend some time dicking with the computer systems and work out that this station controls where the gate appears, and upon establishing a video link they see the cult people from earlier on a space station, who promptly blow up the camera. They find several coats wich have impossibly deep pockets. and start putting on the remains of outfits they found in the place. Now looking like a bunch of ragtag apocalypse surviving russians the Glaive decides that his shortsword isn't cutting it and rips the wings off of one of the stored combat drones and starts hitting poo poo with it. Noticing that it's durable he keeps it as his main weapon. The nano takes several of the powerpacks that power all the robotic enemies and builds herself a ghostbusters style neutron-pack wich she now uses to charge her abilities up and generally be more of a loon.

The Jack then thinks of something, If he is Project M, what happened to project A to L. We have a quick food break while i think on this. They bust into a room wich is only vaguely labelled in the map of the facility,finding several storage bays for other mechanically altered creatures and humans. Hello Alphabet Army, they fight off several cyborg humans and raptors, then use the hand and eye off of one of them to break into the armory, The Glaive found several more grenades of varying types(mostly gravity and cryo/fire). The nano found a un-damaged tech manual(wich includes schematics for most of the mechanized things, and parts of the Jack). The Jack found a man-portable railgun called a latgun, which he is now integrating into his body, because his left arm is non-existant due to raptor teeth.

did i mention they turned most of the enemies into glass and shattered them?

I like this group of players a bunch, they throw weird poo poo at me and i get to build a plot around it, It's great!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

drafting however seems to be pretty okay and is almost entirely luck based rather than "Buy all the rares"
Drafting is probably my favorite format because there's two different but related skill sets involved, but there's still a good amount of luck needed. If you pop a bomb in pack 1 you can build around it, but you're likely only going to have that one bomb and if you don't draw it or it gets killed, you're on the same footing as everyone who didn't pick a bomb. Some of my biggest winnings have come from drafting a deck that is entirely commons save for one uncommon/dollar rare.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So a non-SA going friend of mine is playing in a pathfinder game and there is a Chaotic Neutral Bard in the Party.

Unfortunately, the bard decided in lieu of a healing, he will use Unnatural Lust instead and making the target of the spell lust after inanimate objects, and would try to cast it during combat instead of using his songs or more useful spells.

The player also had the bard swipe the panties of a Drow Priestess for his (male) character to wear.

Can't blame my friend for being tempted to arrange an accident for the character.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

So a non-SA going friend of mine is playing in a pathfinder game and there is a Chaotic Neutral Bard in the Party.

Unfortunately, the bard decided in lieu of a healing, he will use Unnatural Lust instead and making the target of the spell lust after inanimate objects, and would try to cast it during combat instead of using his songs or more useful spells.

The player also had the bard swipe the panties of a Drow Priestess for his (male) character to wear.

Can't blame my friend for being tempted to arrange an accident for the character.

Pathfinder; "Animal House" edition? It could be fun.

BBEG: I'm on to you! You've all been on double secret probation for months! :argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

darth cookie posted:

Pathfinder; "Animal House" edition? It could be fun.

BBEG: I'm on to you! You've all been on double secret probation for months! :argh:

Fat, drunk, and underlevelled is no way to go through life.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it would be a hoot if everyone agreed to it, but apparently only the bard was playing Pathfinder: Animal House.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Why is that spell in the Pathfinder SRD to begin with?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

No man. Just tell that guy he's making the rest of the party uncomfortable, and that's not appropriate for the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, don't bullshit around, unless you've already done your best to make it clear, then gently caress with him.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

VanSandman posted:

Erm... Are you accusing me of being a dummy account, or am I misreading that?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Why is that spell in the Pathfinder SRD to begin with?

Because it's an official paizo spell

quote:

Section 15: Copyright Notice - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic. © 2011, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Jason Bulmahn, Tim Hitchcock, Colin McComb, Rob McCreary, Jason Nelson, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Sean K Reynolds, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, don't bullshit around, unless you've already done your best to make it clear, then gently caress with him.
gently caress that poo poo. Just tell him to leave.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yawgmoth posted:

Not at all. In some tournaments you have to submit a deck list to the organizer/judges, but as a player what is in my deck and my strategy (in general or specific) are both for me to know and you to find out through play. Sideboards are for games 2 and 3 in a match, and generally aren't used in casual play unless you're testing certain deck matchups for a tournament.

In tournaments where money is on the line, when it's down to 8 or 10 people, those people are given the deck lists of everyone else. I think this is done to prevent a person with friends who have been kicked out of the tournament from watching over the shoulders of the potential final players from attaining more information than a person who just showed up to play.

But really, after playing for hours you've gotten used to the meta so much that the players first land is going to tell you the general makeup of the deck even if it's colorless.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ascendance posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Just tell him to leave.

I'm assuming that I am talking to a regular Goon in that they will be far too chickenshit to actually ever say anything and then just passive-aggressively deal with it until the group melts from being suddenly being busy out of nowhere.

But kicking him out of he refuses to stop being a turdlord is probably the best idea, but not the most fruitful for this thread.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm assuming that I am talking to a regular Goon in that they will be far too chickenshit to actually ever say anything and then just passive-aggressively deal with it until the group melts from being suddenly being busy out of nowhere.

But kicking him out of he refuses to stop being a turdlord is probably the best idea, but not the most fruitful for this thread.

Speaking of, how's your special snowflake-anime-shadow-ninja-rules-lawyer who can't stand the thought of anything bad happening to his precious character? :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

Kick him out now and don't sweat it. Players like that destroy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eh, talk to him about it first, some people are socially super loving dumb, that doesn't mean they are assholes. He might think everyone finds that hilarious.

Just tell him "hey dude, we don't really like your humor and you're ruining the game for us, can you play differently?" and if he refuses just stab him ask him to leave.