Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dominic White posted:

It gradually unlocks the finer points of the game, admittedly, but it still gives you a hell of a lot of rope to hang yourself with right from the start. And those plot missions are hardly hand-holding, either.

Yeah the game doesn't mind you hanging yourself one bit. Which is a good thing, because I'm noting from the thread and the Internet at large that people who play more cautiously, or otherwise never really die from being Good At Video Games, kind of have a crappy time with the Nemesis system, because a proper nemesis never really develops.

Lesson to be learned: gently caress being careful, :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
All I know is I've been asking for less tutorial in games for years now, and SoM got me into the world in ~15 minutes.

Yeah I died right away, but that's the point. It got me a Nemesis right off the bat, and I learned through violence. Within 30 minutes I selftaught myself everything I needed to know.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the game doesn't mind you hanging yourself one bit. Which is a good thing, because I'm noting from the thread and the Internet at large that people who play more cautiously, or otherwise never really die from being Good At Video Games, kind of have a crappy time with the Nemesis system, because a proper nemesis never really develops.

Lesson to be learned: gently caress being careful, :getin:

gently caress that, I've been careful and still get my rear end handed to me on occasion. :arghfist::mad:>

Edit: vvv Honestly, that's one of the strongest points of the game.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 2, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Morter posted:

gently caress that, I've been careful and still get my rear end handed to me on occasion. :arghfist::mad:>

It's pretty easy to get pulled into an ever-escalating ball of murder. Not unusual to end up in a Dynasty Warriors-esque horde of orcs with three captains taking potshots at you, and then dropping a Caragor into the mix for extra chaos. I'm looking forward to levelling up so I can actually fight those kinds of odds head-on later.

Morter posted:

Edit: vvv Honestly, that's one of the strongest points of the game.

Agreed. It's rare that a game like this will actually force me to run away through anything other than growing tedium.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 2, 2014

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

A little late but if anyone wants to be my zombie suplexin' coop buddy for Resident Evil 6 just add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/houstonwehaveuhoh/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Agreed. It's rare that a game like this will actually force me to run away through anything other than growing tedium.

I had to break up some recruiting that a captain was doing, this guy is one that I'd tangled with a couple of times, so he was wearing the full face mask and throwing attitude. So I'm batmanning around because there are a lot of orcs in the vicinity, and I notice that he gets hit a couple of times and his health drops, so I think, heh, stealth off the wall and leg it.

Of course, I didn't have intel on this guy, so predictably he was immune from the stealth attack, but not the panicked flailing of the sword. The strengths and weaknesses being largely hidden is actually a bit of a masterstroke.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

Figured as much, why the hell wouldn't they have that crap in the game in the first pl- oh wait, it's 2014... I forgot.
It also adds leaderboards with Steam friends for a huge number of stuff/activities/actions which is pretty cool and made the game way more fun to me.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shadows of Mordor is pretty awesome. My only thing is that there are SO MANY artifacts to find and such. And I have to find them. All of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sun At Night: 9Q724-7BCA5-VE2ZK

Hero of the Kingdom: 0R7QM-F9D4F-68JM2

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It gives you XP for dying.

At first I was a bit annoyed because when the numbers pop up it's natural to think there is some sort of penalty. But no. It's loving beautiful. You are a ghost, dying is just a skill you use.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy loving poo poo WB Games, stop loving with the price of Shadow of Mordor! It's back up to $66 on AusSteam. I *was* about to buy it (It was 50) until I saw that poo poo.

Yes, it's still cheaper than console/instore but the price isn't the point. It's the constant price fuckery.
I'm still interested in it though :( . Looking for an Aussie that could Nuuvem it for me and I can just send the money to their bank online, my Paypal is slow as poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Try using this guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291&pagenumber=38#lastpost

It will be 15% off too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The steam app is incredibly broken on iOS 8 it seems like. Im kind of surprised that despite how messed up everything is, I can still log on and chat people. Anyone else having weird white flashes when chatting and rubber banding while scrolling?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Armor-Piercing posted:

IGN Prime says they've run out of keys. Is that just a temporary thing? :(

Edit: Yes, they updated it to say another batch of keys will be available in a week.

Somebody update the rest of us when this happens, please? Seriously interested in Endless for $7

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can I subscribe, get the game and cancel my subscription? :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Can I subscribe, get the game and cancel my subscription? :v:

Yep, though not before it charges the sub.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Avocados posted:

Anyone else having weird white flashes when chatting and rubber banding while scrolling?
Yeah, but in real life and not in the app as I'm schizophrenic.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Somebody update the rest of us when this happens, please? Seriously interested in Endless for $7

The date they give for more keys is oct 8 4pm pst

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mootallica posted:

Civ: Beyond Earth is $89 USD, and surely Australia is a smaller market than Canada.

And in other pricing chicanery, Shadows of Mordor was $49, went up to ~$70 for a few weeks prior to release, and is now back down to $49 again. You can also now purchase the Premium Edition (base game + season pass) for $75 - which was less than was it was last week while it was on sale for 10% off.

:australia:

Either gouge or don't gouge. Don't gently caress around with the prices - just makes people avoid your stuff all together.

So that's what happened!

I was looking at it yesterday and figured I must have seen the premium price and confused it with the regular price before released.

I'm still going to wait for a sale to buy it but good to know I'm not crazy.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So out of nowhere I got randomly gifted a Road Redemption key by the devs as part of a random selection of people who had the game on their wishlist, or something.

I'm not sure if it's $20 worth of fun, it has a handful of issues like poor balancing, but holy poo poo, keep an eye out for this one in future sales. It starts off Road Rash-y enough, but an hour in I just spent a couple tracks bopping up and down with my jump jets, grapple-swinging from helicopters, dodging entire waves of wrecked cars flung at me by a rampaging tornado, all the while spitting my grenade launcher everywhere. And then I raced on loving Rainbow Road. :pcgaming:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone out there is really dedicated with this Shadow of Mordor thing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So out of nowhere I got randomly gifted a Road Redemption key by the devs as part of a random selection of people who had the game on their wishlist, or something.

I'm not sure if it's $20 worth of fun, it has a handful of issues like poor balancing, but holy poo poo, keep an eye out for this one in future sales. It starts off Road Rash-y enough, but an hour in I just spent a couple tracks bopping up and down with my jump jets, grapple-swinging from helicopters, dodging entire waves of wrecked cars flung at me by a rampaging tornado, all the while spitting my grenade launcher everywhere. And then I raced on loving Rainbow Road. :pcgaming:

:stare:

So, Road Rash gone apeshit?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is my favourite article about SoM :allears:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6881161/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-torture-terrorism

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

That's just wonderful.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

I can't tell if this is serious or not. I like the quote at the end about how you shouldn't torture orcs though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't think it's really torture, because in contrast with torture, dominating actually gives 100% accurate and true information 100% of the time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In all fairness, torturing elves was how orcs came to be in the first place so more torture is probably not the solution.

It probably doesn't beat Thomas Jane Punisher video game in terms of torture, though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ymgve posted:

I don't think it's really torture, because in contrast with torture, dominating actually gives 100% accurate and true information 100% of the time.

You can get the same with torture, assuming you have two people who know whatever you are after. Torture them separately until their stories match! :eng101:

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

The concept of this game is shocking when you think about what's actually happening. As an ultra-powerful white dude, you use fear and extreme acts of violence to manipulate an enemy's behavior, destroy its militaristic structure, and ultimately gain control of it in the form of living bondage despite being outnumbered by the thousands. Really, chew on this: This is a video game about a spurned man terrorizing an entire foreign culture, literally killing, branding, torturing and enslaving hundreds of living beings. And really they're only tangentially connected to the man's real enemy: another ultra-powerful white dude.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Won't somebody think of the digital orcs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inevitablelongshot posted:

The concept of this game is shocking when you think about what's actually happening. As an ultra-powerful white dude, you use fear and extreme acts of violence to manipulate an enemy's behavior, destroy its militaristic structure, and ultimately gain control of it in the form of living bondage despite being outnumbered by the thousands. Really, chew on this: This is a video game about a spurned man terrorizing an entire foreign culture, literally killing, branding, torturing and enslaving hundreds of living beings. And really they're only tangentially connected to the man's real enemy: another ultra-powerful white dude.

I like this the same way I love the Michael Bay Transformers movies: the heroes you are supposed to cheer for are kinda terrible people.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I haven't finished Mordor yet but I am sure that Talion is going to be called out on becoming a mass murderer or be ~corrupted by darkness~ because every sandbox game for the past few years has done it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Urukhai are grown in vats purposely to be stupid and mean, right? I mean if I'm remembering correctly Tolkien deliberately created something that no one would have to feel bad about massive huge numbers of, since that's what was going to happen to them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Inevitablelongshot posted:

The concept of this game is shocking when you think about
Yeah, nothing smart ever comes after a sentence like that especially in game journalism. Also joke or not, it's bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I sort of wonder how many modern games media folks tried writing mournful letters of condolence and regret to Johnny Cage's fictional pixelated family after ripping out his spine when they were younger.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Urukhai are grown in vats purposely to be stupid and mean, right? I mean if I'm remembering correctly Tolkien deliberately created something that no one would have to feel bad about massive huge numbers of, since that's what was going to happen to them.

The selling point of SoM is that your enemies are personalized, even if the characterisation is limited to "likes torture, dislikes heights".
Whatever happens in SoM pales in comparision to Watch_dogs still, that one dances on the edge in a very stupid and creepy way.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
In "News you've all been waiting for" news, Sakura Spirit now has Steam Trading Cards.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

It also adds leaderboards with Steam friends for a huge number of stuff/activities/actions which is pretty cool and made the game way more fun to me.

Hmm, that is neat.
Hopefully all of my cool gamer steam friends have played the game!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Haven't played too much Endless Legends yet, but the default factions are incredibly neat along with the sci-fi/medieval flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's basically the same thing as that one Polygon review that said Tropico 5 made them 'feel like a bully'.

• Locked thread