Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Just bought the WTNV/TAH crossover episode. I've been looking forward to this for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

freelop posted:

Just bought the WTNV/TAH crossover episode. I've been looking forward to this for a while

Oh, you have to buy it? It's not just episode 55?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, it's on Bandcamp but it's pay what you want. (min. price is $1)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

You can listen to it for free on bandcamp or pay to download as mentioned

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hot. I've got like two hours of Welcome to Night Vale to listen to today to drown out the lovely Top 40 station the other company is playing in my office?

Also, where was this thread hiding? I searched the forums for "Welcome to Night Vale" numerous times since I began listening to the podcast and never came up with any results except the random mentions in other threads. It wasn't until I was bored to hell yesterday and clicked on Rapidly Going Deaf to see what the subforum wasn't about that I found this thread still exists.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

It used to be in gbs before the rules reset a year ago

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

freelop posted:

You can listen to it for free on bandcamp

Oops thanks for pointing that out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Really enjoyed the crossover, well worth the handful of pocket lint and whatever that green glowing stuff (possibly bitcoins? Are bitcoins supposed to make your hair fall out?) was that I threw at Bandcamp.

But lest it get overlooked, I also thought that Episode 55 was excellent. Interesting to see Cecil possibly starting to figure out that Night Vale's attitude toward INTERLOPERS isn't the healthiest..

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Episode 55 was pretty good, but the commercial made me laugh the hardest. The laws of physics? What are you, a narc?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I listened to part 1 of the crossover but can't figure out how to listen to part 2. It's in the tracklist, I know I bought it, but I can't find it on the site or the app.

Bandcamp.com and the app are horribly designed pieces of poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bandcamp has a couple design issues but as an artist it's actually really great. Far better than iTunes or Amazon or Spotify anyway

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
As a listener, Bandcamp is probably my favorite way to get music: clean and simple webpages, often with preview tracks available, and a higher fraction of my payment goes to the artist than normal.

However, I operate in the old method of actually downloading files to my computer. It sounds like BJPaskoff is doing something more complicated.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Vavrek posted:

As a listener, Bandcamp is probably my favorite way to get music: clean and simple webpages, often with preview tracks available, and a higher fraction of my payment goes to the artist than normal.

However, I operate in the old method of actually downloading files to my computer. It sounds like BJPaskoff is doing something more complicated.

Bandcamp is way better for the artist (way more control, better rates), but I agree with you: even as a listener I much prefer buying from Bandcamp. I find it easy to use and gives me more control.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I want to thank you guys for providing an extremely strong message in favor of consent culture. Serious props.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I was a big fan of the University episode and the crossover even though I've never listened to TAH. Both of them were just tops, some of the finest work you guys have done.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm actually listening to Thrilling Adventure Hour from the beginning thanks to the crossover episode; got the first few episodes downloaded and already listened to a couple, liking it a lot.

I was worried when I saw it was almost two hundred episodes, but I see that the episodes vary a bit in length. This is good and bad. There's a lot of episodes but I'm probably going to be caught up before Halloween. :ohdear:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really want a sequel to the TAH crossover where it crosses over with Beyond Belief, which is the best TAH show :colbert:

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

tlarn posted:

I'm actually listening to Thrilling Adventure Hour from the beginning thanks to the crossover episode; got the first few episodes downloaded and already listened to a couple, liking it a lot.

I was worried when I saw it was almost two hundred episodes, but I see that the episodes vary a bit in length. This is good and bad. There's a lot of episodes but I'm probably going to be caught up before Halloween. :ohdear:

One of the great things about TAH is that they were going for years before they started podcasting the shows, so the first episodes don't suffer from the "finding our feet" stage that most podcasts go through in the beginning.

Also, if a particular series doesn't capture your interest after a few episodes, you can just skip it and cut down on that intimidating episode count.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Leospeare posted:

One of the great things about TAH is that they were going for years before they started podcasting the shows, so the first episodes don't suffer from the "finding our feet" stage that most podcasts go through in the beginning.

Also, if a particular series doesn't capture your interest after a few episodes, you can just skip it and cut down on that intimidating episode count.

Some series were a bit shaky.
I really didn't like Captain Laserbeam to start with because it seemed to be the same show with different names each time, then after a while they developed on the characters and it got a lot more interesting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

TheJoker138 posted:

I really want a sequel to the TAH crossover where it crosses over with Beyond Belief, which is the best TAH show :colbert:

And it turns out Frank and Sadie were the winners of Lot 37! :allears:

I loved the crossover and I'm thrilled to see more people getting into TAH!

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Wandering Knitter posted:

And it turns out Frank and Sadie were the winners of Lot 37! :allears:

When I first heard about the crossover that's EXACTLY what I thought it was going to be about. It's just too perfect. Frank and Sadie love alcohol, each other, and auctions (in that order). Cecil was in an auction. It seemed just perfect. *clink*

Still, the crossover with Sparks was pretty awesome. I love both that segment and WTNV, so to have them both cross over was a fantastic way to spend a show. Even getting some details about connections to a certain past story in Night Vale was just icing on the cake. I hope we get to hear another one of these crossovers at some point!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Just finished listening to it. Absolutely aces!

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I loved the cross-over. Good stuff. I've started listening to TAH now but I've still got a long way to go.

A while back I mentioned that we listened to an episode of Night Vale in my horror lit course. One of the options for our final project is to rewrite something from class in a different character's perspective, with a different ending, etc. I'm writing a goddamn fan fiction for my college class. I'm a horrible embarrassment to these forums and I should be ashamed of myself.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

soupcan58 posted:

When I first heard about the crossover that's EXACTLY what I thought it was going to be about. It's just too perfect. Frank and Sadie love alcohol, each other, and auctions (in that order). Cecil was in an auction. It seemed just perfect. *clink*

I didn't realize how badly I needed Beyond Belief/Night Vale to happen until now. Frank and Sadie go for a long drive and find themselves... in Night Vale. They're running dangerously low on liquor and explore the whole town trying to find a good bottle. The Moonlight All-Night, Big Rico's Pizza, the Hole Out Back of the Ralph's, no luck. Then they find a flyer for an auction, coincidentally having just started. Hoping like hell that it's some kind of whisky, they bid on and win Cecil Palmer. After finding out they only won a radio presenter, they all team up to defeat (Angry Glow Cloud/Evil Clown/Smiling God/Steve Carlsberg).

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Has alcohol ever been mentioned in Night Vale?

What if, like mountains, alcohol doesn't exist?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

freelop posted:

If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

No problem at all, darling! *clink*

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

They might be arrested for smuggling in margarita glasses.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

freelop posted:

There was beer at Jeremy's birthday party at the bowling alley in "One Year Later". Cecil mentions him carrying beer around in a plastic cup a few times If I recall correctly.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
My god, I liked Beyond Belief's first episodes, but then I got to the Pan episode and I'm won over. Frank and Sadie are treasures and I see why people would love to see those two bopping around in Night Vale. I think I like them as much if not more than Sparks Nevada et al.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Cecil sips Armagnac in one episode. Several fanfics have run with this and said he's an alcoholic because that's what fanfic does. It's actually one of the milder things the fanfic community has done.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can't wait to see maxnmona and the rest of the WTNV crew at NYCC this weekend!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DoctorWhat posted:

Can't wait to see maxnmona and the rest of the WTNV crew at NYCC this weekend!

They're going to be selling a limited edition Desert Bluffs shirt too! Guess I'll be spending this Friday waiting in line and spending all my money at once. :ohdear:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wandering Knitter posted:

They're going to be selling a limited edition Desert Bluffs shirt too! Guess I'll be spending this Friday waiting in line and spending all my money at once. :ohdear:

Oh, you're going!? If you see the-guy-in-my-avatar in yellow pants and a patchwork coat-of-many-colors, give me a holler!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, you're going!? If you see the-guy-in-my-avatar in yellow pants and a patchwork coat-of-many-colors, give me a holler!

I'll be the girl standing in line knitting a hideous neon shawl!

Is anyone else going? We might as well keep each other company while waiting in line.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tlarn posted:

My god, I liked Beyond Belief's first episodes, but then I got to the Pan episode and I'm won over. Frank and Sadie are treasures and I see why people would love to see those two bopping around in Night Vale. I think I like them as much if not more than Sparks Nevada et al.

For me it was the clown episode, which I think was episode two. The first one didn't really do it for me, but by that one I was hooked. It's the only show on TAH I actually keep up on now.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

dj_clawson posted:

Cecil sips Armagnac in one episode. Several fanfics have run with this and said he's an alcoholic because that's what fanfic does. It's actually one of the milder things the fanfic community has done.

Wasn't there a recent episode where his horoscope said something like, "Your boyfriend is trapped in an alternate dimension and you drink to cope with it"? I kind of got an alcoholic vibe from that.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Wasn't there a recent episode where his horoscope said something like, "Your boyfriend is trapped in an alternate dimension and you drink to cope with it"? I kind of got an alcoholic vibe from that.

Yeah he did say that. That was recent though.

BTW if people hear about claims that Cecil is transphobic, it has to do with the Shipwrecked show, not Night Vale, and Maxmona had nothing to do with it.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

dj_clawson posted:

BTW if people hear about claims that Cecil is transphobic, it has to do with the Shipwrecked show, not Night Vale, and Maxmona had nothing to do with it.

I had not heard any such claims, what's this all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rose Spirit posted:

I had not heard any such claims, what's this all about?

It was a reading of erotic fan fiction about Watchmen in Brooklyn, full of hipster nerds, and some people got upset about the content. Apparently some woman started crying and walked out after a "chick with dicks" (they happened to be action figure dicks; it's very hard to put in context) joke and then posted on Tumblr about it and said she won't listen to Cecil anymore or Night Vale. Then it got extended out (falsely) that it had something to do with Night Vale or that Jeffrey Cranor had written the story (he hadn't) or that Joseph was also involved (he wasn't). I remember laughing pretty hard at that joke, and everyone else laughing, but now the MC has gone back on it and said she didn't laugh and it wasn't funny. But whatever, everyone seemed to be cool with the molestation of a teenager by his action figure in the same story, or maybe just felt compelled to think, "I signed up for an edgy and uncomfortable set of satire sex stories that are intentionally supposed to be pushing boundaries, maybe there's going to be some material I don't like, and it's not the end of the world." But said person did not take that stance, and she is demanding an apology from Cecil and from Jeffrey for being complicit (in that he didn't stand up and stop the reading immediately, therefore he is a terrible person).

Update: Jeffrey has written a polite post about it on Tumblr.

tl;dr PEOPLE ARE UPSET ON TUMBLR

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2014