Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Because it's already in California and it's got one good ride and two real dumb ones. You aren't going to make people visit multiple parks if they all have the same thing, basically.

The themeing is insane though and I was really impressed by that. Just not by the actual rides (RSR needs to be longer, but the ride itself is great).

Hey now. Mater's ride is a ton of fun if you whip the buggies just right.

Luigis was also fun, before dumb rear end guests kept flipping them over and they removed the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I'd like to hope that they've learned not to build the same thing in multiple places by this point, core rides not withstanding

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fejsze posted:

Luigis was also fun, before dumb rear end guests kept flipping them over and they removed the controls.

what

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
There is a reason the Flying Saucers ride was removed from Disneyland way back when. It's easy for idiots to mess things up.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Got back from my Orlando trip on sat night. Got to visit Islands of adventure, Universal studios, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, as well as Epcot. Despite this being the WDW thread, Universal beat the hell out of it hands down. The theming, rides, and merch was better in every way at Universal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fejsze posted:

Hey now. Mater's ride is a ton of fun if you whip the buggies just right.

Luigi and Mater are cheapo carnival level rides and look cheap as hell and are great for kids but there's no appeal for adults (or if there is, you're impressed very easily).

My point being I feel like they're cheap cop-out rides and not even worth 10 minutes in line.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Last day of the Studio Backlot Tour at DHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgt_B0E2fw

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Good riddance!

Frozenland, here we come! ;)

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Luigi and Mater are cheapo carnival level rides and look cheap as hell and are great for kids but there's no appeal for adults (or if there is, you're impressed very easily).

My point being I feel like they're cheap cop-out rides and not even worth 10 minutes in line.

You're very correct. I wouldn't wait in line long for Mater, but I am, admittedly, easily amused.

The theming for the land is incredible though. Exponentially better than bugs land. And outside of liberty square at MK and Africa at AK, I don't think there is a better themed area in any of the parks. I would be interested in what rides they would do since the Racers is just a test track reskin.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Because it's already in California and it's got one good ride and two real dumb ones. You aren't going to make people visit multiple parks if they all have the same thing, basically.

The themeing is insane though and I was really impressed by that. Just not by the actual rides (RSR needs to be longer, but the ride itself is great).

I was there around xmas last year and the theming and decorations were awesome. I did not get a chance to go on any rides, but I can see how it is a limited attraction if the rides are not great. Bring on some new stuff in Studios, leave Carsland in CA.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I've never been to Disneyland, but it seems like they just put so much more into seasonal celebrations over there. Just seeing a picture of a ride decorated for Christmas is something I couldn't imagine anywhere at WDW, or how they go all out for Halloween.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The resort here is much larger and the amount of work it would take is probably not something they are interested in doing so they do some minor festive decorations to get people in the mood and leave it at that.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
A lot of that has to do with the type of customer each park attracts. WAY more locals go to Disneyland than WDW, and they go year-round. Many people visiting WDW are doing so for the first --and possibly only-- time in their lives. So it's a lot easier for Disneyland to take down the Haunted Mansion for a month in October and a month in January to install/remove the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. If a local southern Californian shows up and the HM is closed, who cares, they'll just come back in a month and ride it then. If the Smith family from Liverpool is visiting WDW for 10 days and the HM is closed the whole time, that's a pretty big deal, because it's their first time at WDW and they may never get to come back.

Plus, since so much of Disneyland is repeat business, they have to work a little harder to bring in the locals on a regular basis. And they have to compete with a LOT of other entertainment options...they're in Orange County, California after all. And adjacent to Los Angeles County. WDW is much more of a destination park.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

The resort here is much larger and the amount of work it would take is probably not something they are interested in doing so they do some minor festive decorations to get people in the mood and leave it at that.

Lincoln posted:

A lot of that has to do with the type of customer each park attracts. WAY more locals go to Disneyland than WDW, and they go year-round. Many people visiting WDW are doing so for the first --and possibly only-- time in their lives. So it's a lot easier for Disneyland to take down the Haunted Mansion for a month in October and a month in January to install/remove the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. If a local southern Californian shows up and the HM is closed, who cares, they'll just come back in a month and ride it then. If the Smith family from Liverpool is visiting WDW for 10 days and the HM is closed the whole time, that's a pretty big deal, because it's their first time at WDW and they may never get to come back.

Plus, since so much of Disneyland is repeat business, they have to work a little harder to bring in the locals on a regular basis. And they have to compete with a LOT of other entertainment options...they're in Orange County, California after all. And adjacent to Los Angeles County. WDW is much more of a destination park.

This makes perfect sense. I didn't consider the fact that there's probably a lot more to do and see in Orange County, Calif. Plus, flights from Europe or South/Central America are cheaper to get to Florida, usually, than California. I also didn't realize so much of Disneyland was repeat traffic from locals. Although my father-in-law is from Venice Beach originally, and he always talks about he used to go to Disneyland all the time back in the 50s, and to this day, he has that "who cares it's not going anywhere" attitude about it.

I've never been to California, so I don't know much about the lay of the land.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They should move Carsland to Hollywood Studios and build Marvel-land in California Adventure

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BlueBayou posted:

They should move Carsland to Hollywood Studios and build Marvel-land in California Adventure

They can't. Universal owns the theme park rights to Marvel properties. There's a whole Marvel area in Islands of Adventure.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

JoshTheStampede posted:

They can't. Universal owns the theme park rights to Marvel properties.

They own the rights in Florida and Japan, otherwise it's fair game for Disney.

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/disney-vs-universal-over-marvel/

quote:

In early 2009, just six months before Disney would purchase Marvel Entertainment, [Universal Studios Hollywood] opted to not extend its contract with Marvel, as the last of the superhero characters had left the park in 2007 – thereby paving the way for Disneyland to host its Avengers meet-‘n-greets.

This presumably means that Disney can build whatever Marvel-land they want in California.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

This makes perfect sense. I didn't consider the fact that there's probably a lot more to do and see in Orange County, Calif. Plus, flights from Europe or South/Central America are cheaper to get to Florida...

Oh God the Brazilians.. And now Chileans. The parks are a freaking train wreck when they descend in town like a plague of locusts.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

nimper posted:

They own the rights in Florida and Japan, otherwise it's fair game for Disney.

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/disney-vs-universal-over-marvel/

This presumably means that Disney can build whatever Marvel-land they want in California.

Exactly. They can only keep Marvel out of the parks East of the Mississippi

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Exactly. They can only keep Marvel out of the parks East of the Mississippi

The article I linked says it's a 250-mile radius around Orlando, actually. That would cover most of Florida, part of Georgia, and a tiny sliver of South Carolina. Everywhere else is fair game if Disney ever wants to build a new theme park.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

The article I linked says it's a 250-mile radius around Orlando, actually. That would cover most of Florida, part of Georgia, and a tiny sliver of South Carolina. Everywhere else is fair game if Disney ever wants to build a new theme park.

and lose control? Never. WDW has carte blanche to bully the entire state with their stupid Reedy Creek Improvement District charade. FFS that giant monstrosity of a parking garage and all the upgrades to the roads, etc on property for the Disney Springs reboot.. guess how they worked that deal out? They got tax free bonds under the guise that it is a government improvement project! They are not paying a damned dime but the taxpayers are footing the bill. No ownership of the garage either as it belongs to 'Reedy Creek' so they wash their hands of cost over-runs, mismanagement and anything else so they don't soil their corporate persona. They have an offramp from Interstate 4 West that will bypass the exit for crossroads effectively screwing all the local merchants. Ooh and add icing to the crap cake their new Disney Springs remodel is including upscale shopping with the likes of Nordstroms, Apple and other high end stores to stick it to the factory outlets up the road. Build a high end mall on property so no one leaves. The Brazilians can happily spend their ten grand at their stores and not leave the property from the time they step on the tour bus waiting for them at OIA.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

upscale shopping with the likes of Nordstroms, Apple and other high end stores to stick it to the factory outlets up the road.
Ok that sucks

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tomapot posted:

Ok that sucks

We had a Nordstroms at the Florida Mall which is a fairly busy mall.. they did not renew the lease when it was up to make the move to the new DS. Granted it was not the best location for an upscale and not being able to get into Mall of Millenia which is where the money is at hurt them. But still, they will be back in some form at the Disney Mall. Nothing personal against them, it's Disney's shady crap and normal fuckery that burns me. That bogus town and government they created to shield themselves behind is truly a shining example of how the system is boned on so many levels.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Man I am so bummed I didn't get that job with Disney Parks and Resorts I interviewed for in college.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

demonR6 posted:

Brazilians. And now Chileans. The parks are a freaking train wreck when they descend in town like a plague of locusts.

What is the usual Brazilian season? We've run afoul of them more than once, so I assume it's winter, but when, exactly, are they on vacation?

And what's this about Chileans?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

What is the usual Brazilian season? We've run afoul of them more than once, so I assume it's winter, but when, exactly, are they on vacation?

And what's this about Chileans?

The Brazilians are here a couple of times a year now but the bulk happens during summer months. We were there at MK first week of July and it was a sea of Chileans mostly young teens which mirrors the Brazil virus. The one interesting thing we saw in their tour group was all the kids shirts were of course matching for the tour operator but the kicker was they had their number emblazoned on the shirt front upper chest and on the right arm like a band. Good for head count. We were sitting at the carousel waiting on the fireworks and the leader made them count off while her sidekick kept score. Also they were using a loving bullhorn to talk and I wanted to beat her over the head with it.

Let me be clear I only refer to their presence as the plague/virus because if you have ever had the pleasure of being at any of the theme parks when there are hundreds and hundreds of South American tour groups which are mostly teens, you would know what I am talking about.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Man I am so bummed I didn't get that job with Disney Parks and Resorts I interviewed for in college.

What position did you interview for?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I've said it before and I'll say it until the day I day: I will take Brazilians any day over the majority of other nationalities. Yes, they travel in groups and don't listen and are loud and rambunctious, but they're genuinely HAPPY to be at the parks. They always have a huge smile no matter what they're doing and I just find that adorable.

This does not include the tour guides.

gently caress the tour guides.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it until the day I day: I will take Brazilians any day over the majority of other nationalities. Yes, they travel in groups and don't listen and are loud and rambunctious, but they're genuinely HAPPY to be at the parks. They always have a huge smile no matter what they're doing and I just find that adorable.

This does not include the tour guides.

gently caress the tour guides.

You forgot to add they are incredibly rude, feel like they have special privileges so they will gladly cut in front of you in line, push you out of the way or whatever pleases their fancy. Not to mention they are well known for brazenly stealing from the gift shops as well so that pretty much counters the huge smiles and fun factor.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So there really is going to be a high-end mall at Disney Springs? I thought the boat driver guy at Port Orleans was full of poo poo. Well, gently caress that noise.

demonR6 posted:

You forgot to add they are incredibly rude, feel like they have special privileges so they will gladly cut in front of you in line, push you out of the way or whatever pleases their fancy. Not to mention they are well known for brazenly stealing from the gift shops as well so that pretty much counters the huge smiles and fun factor.

And yes. Tour groups are a nightmare for all these reasons. Their water park takeovers are especially interesting.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

So there really is going to be a high-end mall at Disney Springs? I thought the boat driver guy at Port Orleans was full of poo poo. Well, gently caress that noise.

And yes. Tour groups are a nightmare for all these reasons. Their water park takeovers are especially interesting.

Nope, he was not full of it. And yes the water park takeover is interesting but due to the mature nature of the content small children should not be brought along.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

I'm talking about it from a CM perspective. I keep a minimum of three hundred feet away from all tour groups when I'm going as a guest.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
On our last visit (two or three Januarys ago), the Brazilian groups were there, and we had long since adopted a "go the other way" strategy when we saw them. But for whatever reason, we ended up in line with a bunch of them at Rock-N-Roller Coaster. Inevitably, a group in front of us started waving their friend forward, telling him to cut in line so he could join them. I don't mean the group was right in front of us...there were 20 or 30 people separating them & us.

Anyway, I saw what was going on, and told my wife to stand right next to me so he couldn't get by, and I grabbed the little rail on my other side to physically block him (you know how the outdoor part of the queue is really narrow). So he stood there and kind of fidgeted for a minute or so while his friends were frantically waving at him. Eventually, he just says, excuse me, I need to get by, or something, and I finally make eye contact and just stare at him. And he fidgets some more, and again says he needs to get by, and I said, "No, they can let everyone by until you catch up with them, but I'm not letting you go up there."

And he's either flabbergasted that someone won't let him cut in line, or he's really nervous because he's a 16-year-old kid getting the business from some middle-aged guy in plaid shorts. And this is out of character for me, because usually that sort of stuff doesn't get to me while I'm on vacation, but we had been watching Brazilian teens stroll by us in line for the past few days, and it finally got to me. This little kid just happened to be the poor guy whose toes I decided to step on.

It was a very minor thing, but maybe, just maybe I planted a seed...like letting the independent Borg back on the cube to slowly infect and destroy the rest of the collective, that one kid told his friends later, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't be cutting in line on every single ride like a bunch of assholes...it's clearly not the Americans' custom, so let's respect their social rules." Anyway, he didn't cut in line, just pouted behind us until he got to the pre-show. WITHOUT HIS loving FRIENDS, who never stopped trying to wave him forward.

I think the only other "incident" I've had at WDW was when some rear end in a top hat barged in front of us at the Dole Whip stand. That ended poorly for everyone. I'm turning into Jay from Modern Family.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Jeez, I've never had a line cutting incident like that with the tour groups. Although admittedly, I'd have probably let the kid by just because I wouldn't have felt like listening to the other group yelling and waving back at him.

The worst line cutting I've ever seen was at Islands of Adventure, the last time I went in 2012. This woman got in line for Spiderman with her son, and she was forcefully stampeding through the line as if it were her God-given right to skip everyone. Three people got upset and tried to stop her, and each time she'd stare them down and yell a different excuse. The first time, "MY SON HAS CANCER AND THIS IS HIS WISH!" Next was, "YOU TRYING TO STOP ME BECAUSE I'M BLACK?!" Then the last one I couldn't make out clearly because she was too far ahead, but luckily, just luckily, the ride broke down for 30 minutes right as she finally got up there and she had the worst meltdown I've ever seen in a theme park and was escorted out by security, son in tow.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
In the case of Dole whip, I think everyone would understand hulking out at a line cutter. It's Dole whip.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

demonR6 posted:

They have an offramp from Interstate 4 West that will bypass the exit for crossroads effectively screwing all the local merchants.

Crossroads deserves to lose all its customers and then hopefully burn to the loving ground. Goodings is the most overpriced and under stocked grocery store I've ever had the displeasure of visiting and every other store and restaurant in that joint is just as bad. Place can rot as far as I'm concerned.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Goodings is terrible and I wholeheartedly agree with you there. There is a Winn-Dixie a few blocks up the road where I enjoy my sweet, sweet fuel perks, BOGO deals and it does not look like a third world grocery store. Goodings with its festering carpet and terrible store reminds me of the walking dead.

Anyhow, aside from all the other stories my favorite Brazilian story was we were at Emporium and this group of three kids was putting poo poo in their bag. I had my my follow them while I grabbed one of the managers who came back with a plain clothes security and they were promptly escorted to a back area. I asked my in-law a day or two later since he works in their CIA and he says "Oh you were the guest mentioned in the report who narc'ed on them?" Why yes, yes indeed it was.. They were trespassed, their tour leader apparently caused some stink and he was also given the boot so he cannot come back on property ever. SCORE!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I stopped a tour group from blasting past us at Splash a week or two ago. They had about two group of 30 and they were trying to push past everyone to meet up. We stood our ground after the first 2 got by and they ended up giving up eventually. I did call one of them out for calling me puto.

I never had to deal with them much in the parks, but Brazil's postal service is a black hole from which nothing is ever delivered.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
heh, I don't recall ever hearing Brazilians using that term so it must be another country but still not surprising. Glad it was not me there, I would have fired back in the mother tongue and most definitely using something more colorful. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Speaking of tour groups, there is this guy who "runs" a "tour group" that pops up every few days. People in the group will come up to a fastpass line, explain the name of their tour group and then "suggest" that this group gets fastpass access. Which they do not. because they aren't real.

It's a guy duping people into thinking he can get them front of the line access.