Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy also said it's faster around their proving grounds than any C6 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This goes back a little bit to how much GM and in turn their trucks suck:

quote:

GM’s Sales Climbed 19 percent in September
2014-10-01

*GM has industry’s best-selling pickups for second month in a row
*Chevrolet Cruze up 45 percent
*GMC sales increase 28 percent
*Buick Encore is the industry’s best-selling small crossover
*Cadillac Escalade sales more than double

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) dealers delivered 223,437 vehicles in the United States in September. Total deliveries were up 19 percent compared with a year ago. Retail deliveries, which are sales to individual consumers, were up 17 percent. Fleet deliveries were up 30 percent, including the 11th consecutive monthly increase in commercial sales.

“GM saw strength almost across the board in September, and outpaced the industry with the newest trucks and SUVs at exactly the right time,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “We will have improved availability of heavy-duty pickups and large SUVs in the months ahead, and the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon are arriving in showrooms as we speak. This sets us up to finish the year on a very strong note.”

Exceptionally strong sales of trucks and crossovers helped GM earn average transaction prices (ATPs) of about $34,600, the highest in company history, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates. ATPs were up about $1,200 per unit compared with August, and they were up about $2,500 per unit from a year ago.

Nearly 80 percent of retail customers who bought a large SUV during September purchased a Chevrolet or GMC product. In addition, the Chevrolet Silverado had its best retail sales month since 2008 and GM’s estimated share of the retail market for large pickups increased 5 percentage points from a year ago to close to 40 percent.

In the medium crossover segment, combined sales of the Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave were up 31 percent. GM compact car deliveries were also up 30 percent, and year-to-date sales were the highest since 2005.

September Sales Highlights (vs. 2013 except as noted)

*Chevrolet deliveries increased 20 percent, with Silverado up 54 percent, Suburban up 50 percent, Traverse up 45 percent, Cruze up 45 percent, Sonic up 14 percent and Equinox up 12 percent. Corvette deliveries nearly tripled.
*GMC deliveries were up 28 percent, including a 25 percent increase for Sierra and a 16 percent increase for Terrain. Yukon sales nearly doubled and Yukon XL was up 64 percent.
*Sales of the new Cadillac Escalade more than doubled, helping the brand deliver results equal to a year ago.
*Buick deliveries increased 12 percent, with Enclave up 36 percent, Encore up 20 percent, Verano up 6 percent and Regal up 5 percent. The Encore has been the industry’s best-selling small SUV for six months in a row.
*The first deliveries of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon occurred in September and availability will grow throughout the fall. GM has announced plans to add a third shift at its Wentzville, Mo., assembly plant in early 2015 to meet expected demand for both mid-size pickups and full-size vans.

Incentive spending as a percentage of ATPs was 11.1 percent, up 0.2 percentage points from August but the lowest of all domestic automakers by a significant margin, according to PIN. GM’s calendar-year-to-date spending as a percentage of ATPs is 10.7 percent, down 0.3 points, while industry spending is 10.0 percent, up 0.4 points.

GM posted a 25 percent gain in commercial sales driven by pickups and vans, which were up 6 percent and 46 percent, respectively. Sales to rental customers were up about 35 percent due to timing. Sales to government customers were up about 17 percent. Year to date, commercial sales are up 24 percent, rental deliveries are up 3 percent and government deliveries are down 2 percent.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Oct/gmsales.html

I was gonna bold some stuff but it would have been most of the paragraph.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
So they spent 20 basis points for something like a 40% increase in truck deliveries? How is that bad?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So they spent 20 basis points for something like a 40% increase in truck deliveries? How is that bad?

Pretty sure there was some sarcasm in there somewhere

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Pretty sure there was some sarcasm in there somewhere

poo poo, well, people love ragging on GM and their trucks so who the gently caress knows?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well of course, popularity in the consumer market is directly related to quality, so obviously they're great!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fknlo posted:

Hot Rod Magazine got their hands on a Z06

0-60 - 2.95 seconds

1/4 mile - 10.95 seconds

:tviv:

Those are for the automatic. If you don't want to cage the car to run at the strip you'll have to buy the manual.

I assume that's with non-drag strip tires? Noice.

Apparently the Charger Hellcat did 2.9 and sub 11 seconds but it was with drag slicks, not street tires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
2.95 and 10.95 in Stock form
Holy poo poo.

Pulley and drag slicks...
Nah, it's a track car, not a strip car.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

El Scotch posted:

I assume that's with non-drag strip tires? Noice.

Apparently the Charger Hellcat did 2.9 and sub 11 seconds but it was with drag slicks, not street tires.

Which is still impressive for a 4,500 lb family sedan, all things considered.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Hot Rod Magazine got their hands on a Z06

0-60 - 2.95 seconds

1/4 mile - 10.95 seconds

:tviv:

Those are for the automatic. If you don't want to cage the car to run at the strip you'll have to buy the manual.

:stare:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Surprising no one with half a brain, the 2016 Miata is getting the 2.0L Skyactiv. The rest of the world can get hosed with their 1.5L.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Phone posted:

Surprising no one with half a brain, the 2016 Miata is getting the 2.0L Skyactiv. The rest of the world can get hosed with their 1.5L.

I feel like unless they can kick it up from 155hp to something in the 160s people are still going to bitch about it being underpowered even though it would almost certainly still be faster than the outgoing MX-5 and have a better torque curve.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Miata has always had hotter cams / ignition timing / etc compared to its economy car brethren so I don't think a few more HP is impossible (esp. if 91+ octane required).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

ONLY? Most other markets had two NC Miata engines. A 1.8 and a 2.0. I bet the same will happen overseas again.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I wonder if in Canada the base model MX-5 will be a lovely stripper with a five-speed, no LSD, and no good suspension bits, all for the low cost of only $30,000.

The good Miata you actually want is $36,000 here and the loaded one is $40,000. I can't imagine they'll actually lower prices for the ND.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

I wonder if in Canada the base model MX-5 will be a lovely stripper with a five-speed, no LSD, and no good suspension bits, all for the low cost of only $30,000.

The good Miata you actually want is $36,000 here and the loaded one is $40,000. I can't imagine they'll actually lower prices for the ND.

Miata sales have always been bad here. The S2000, if you could find one, started at $52,000 here.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Wheeee posted:

Yeah, we'll surely get hosed on the price again. The used Miata market here is out of whack too.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Miata sales have always been bad here. The S2000, if you could find one, started at $52,000 here.

Strange that convertibles wouldn't be big sellers in Canada.

On another note...Elon Musk is going to do what?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Elon Musk is going to give the world the D

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am excited for the D.

:gay:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Well of course, popularity in the consumer market is directly related to quality, so obviously they're great!

Here's what matters to an automaker:

1. Selling cars

2. Forums User Idiot Wheeee's perception of the quality of said cars

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

angryhampster posted:

On another note...Elon Musk is going to do what?
He knows exactly what he's doing. This is coming from the man who wanted to make a Model E just so they'd spell out SEX.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Here's what matters to an automaker:

1. Selling cars

2. Forums User Idiot Wheeee's perception of the quality of said cars

Good for them, now reread the post I was responding to, see if you can pick up on the implication made by the poster about quality, then reread what I actually posted.

It's not my fault that you're dumb, don't be all mad son.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2wd regular cab short box 3.5 - 4050lbs
3.8 rwd genesis sedan - 4138lbs
4x4 regular cab short box 5.0 f-150 - 4487lbs
5.0 genesis sedan - 4,541

If you told me 10 years ago that there would be an F-150 lighter than a Hyundai sedan, I'd have laughed at you as hard as was possible. That really is quite an accomplishment, for both companies.

Just to get some of the trolling out of the way

lb/hp:

FRS: 13.5
WRX: 12.4(59/41 weight distro)
reg cab 5.0 4x4 f-150: 11.7
2010 mustang GT:11.4
BMW M235i: 11.0
WRX STI: 11.0
reg cab 5.0 f-150: 11.0(58/42 weight distro)

Oh yeah, that feels good.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 4, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

lb/hp:

FRS: 13.5
WRX: 12.4(59/41 weight distro)
reg cab 5.0 4x4 f-150: 11.7
2010 mustang GT:11.4
BMW M235i: 11.0
WRX STI: 11.0
reg cab 5.0 f-150: 11.0(58/42 weight distro)

Oh yeah, that feels good.

This is the most hilarious part, god drat Subaru what the hell.

I wonder how the 5.0 will compare to the Hemi 1500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

This is the most hilarious part, god drat Subaru what the hell.

I wonder how the 5.0 will compare to the Hemi 1500.

There's so much fun to be had here. The STI has a 2.5 liter with 290ft/lbs, the f-150 has a 2.7 liter with 375ft/lbs

Dodge is gonna have to put the hellcat in the ram if they want to make any allusions to sportiness.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's too bad Ford killed off the Tremor and don't have a true "sporty" truck outside of the Raptor.

A light truck with decent horsepower isn't gonna be too sporty with a peg leg highway diff. You can get a Ram Express 2WD regular cab with 383hp and 400lbs/ft with a 3.92 locked rear. That's plenty sporty.

It's also worth pointing out that out of the Big 3, the Ram is currently the oldest generation going. I wouldn't discount a new SRT Ram with the Hellcat in it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

It's too bad Ford killed off the Tremor and don't have a true "sporty" truck outside of the Raptor.

A light truck with decent horsepower isn't gonna be too sporty with a peg leg highway diff. You can get a Ram Express 2WD regular cab with 383hp and 400lbs/ft with a 3.92 locked rear. That's plenty sporty.

It's also worth pointing out that out of the Big 3, the Ram is currently the oldest generation going. I wouldn't discount a new SRT Ram with the Hellcat in it.

They'll probably bring the tremor back. It's just a partsbin package. Raptor Diff, FX2 trim, EB engine. Only this time they have a factory premium tune for the EB bringing it to 380hp/460ft/lbs.

You can still get either EB with a locking 3.73 in the reg cab/long box, and a locking 3.55 in the reg cab/short box 5.0. The 2.7 ecoboost is only an $800 option over the 5.0.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The Tremor will return. The margins on specialty trucks are even better than normal trucks (I'm sure). Probably with whatever engine the GT350 ends up with. They just didn't have time to get it dialed in with the new generation. Or the engine wasn't ready for prime time until the Mustang version was done.

I'd like to see Ford doing a GT350 as a track car and the GT500 as a drag strip car co-existing at the same time. And with a Tremor and a Raptor co-existing as well. Both pairs are models that could be built off the same chassis but with different role specialties.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unless the GT350 is some variation of the 5.0, it won't be in the tremor. Maybe in a new lightning.

With the tremor they didn't have to change anything, didn't have to do any EPA testing. Just tick a few boxes they normally greyed out to allow the 4.10 gears and short box in conjunction with the 3.5 EB. It was the lowest effort "special" truck ever. Dealers here claimed there were only 100 in canada, and were asking stupid prices for it, which pretty much means gently caress dealers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

They'll probably bring the tremor back. It's just a partsbin package. Raptor Diff, FX2 trim, EB engine. Only this time they have a factory premium tune for the EB bringing it to 380hp/460ft/lbs.

You can still get either EB with a locking 3.73 in the reg cab/long box, and a locking 3.55 in the reg cab/short box 5.0. The 2.7 ecoboost is only an $800 option over the 5.0.

Ugh, why can't you get the 3.73's in the RC/SB? Gears are really the best performance bang for the buck, I'll never understand why they limit options like that. Even my Ram Daytona was a victim of that. Sure, I lucked out and got a RC/SB 2WD with a locked 3.92, but most had open diffs, and the 4x4's only got 3.55.

Manufacturers would be wise to offer their RWD vehicles with a range of open or locked gears, ranging from 3.20ish up to 4.10 or 4.11. it can't be that hard or cost prohibitive to do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Ugh, why can't you get the 3.73's in the RC/SB? Gears are really the best performance bang for the buck, I'll never understand why they limit options like that. Even my Ram Daytona was a victim of that. Sure, I lucked out and got a RC/SB 2WD with a locked 3.92, but most had open diffs, and the 4x4's only got 3.55.

Manufacturers would be wise to offer their RWD vehicles with a range of open or locked gears, ranging from 3.20ish up to 4.10 or 4.11. it can't be that hard or cost prohibitive to do.

You can, but only with the n/a 3.5 and 2.7 EB. They limit the options A. so they can force you into a more expensive vehicle to get what you want, and B. so they only have to build 30 different possible configs instead of 120. in a 2WD it costs around a grand and a couple hours to change gears. the big disservice is the lack of the 3.5 EB in the reg cab/short box outside of the tremor.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I mean I get the practical part of why they don't, but by now you'd figure they'd understand that sport trucks are a thing, and at least offer something good for the RC/SB 2wd's.

I think that's why I like the Ram Express. You get the Hemi, a poo poo ton of insane colors to choose from (I'm partial to Construction Yellow) and either 3.55's or 3.92's, and you can specify open or locked for each. All for under $30k

e- the EB F Series stuff intrigues me, though, I wanna see how they're holding up in two or three more years. We've already had three through my auction with blown motors, but I dunno if it's a build issue or user error

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 4, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In other "sport truck" news, chevy has new "sport trucks"

22" wheels, carbon fiber stickers and a 285hp v6. Sporty!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
GM is the loving worst.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Carbon Edition one looks good enough, but that Rally Edition is hideous, especially since you could make your own 'Rally' edition with an afternoon and some plasti dip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So has everyone slept through the Paris motor show? While I think the MX-5 was supposed to have the specs released (beyond the 1.5/2l engines), there are a couple of awesome cars out already, I almost blue myself:

Lambo Asterion LPI 910-4

I really like the design here, in particular the rear. It's a hybrid that they claim is a one-off prototype, but given the recent successes from McLaren and Porsche, I think it's pretty likely that this will get made soon enough.

VW XL Sport

So they took the 1L and stuck a 200hp Ducati engine, IMO that's what they should've started with in the first place :black101:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Audi TT Sportback

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spatule posted:

Audi TT Sportback

Why? WHY?? Hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's not like the TT was a looker to begin with.