Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

coyo7e posted:

John Dies at the End - David Wong. The movie was only like 15% of the novel, and having the narrator enthusiastically belt out bad pro-wrestling puns goes a long way to making it a fun romp.

The sequel is even better, though the quality of the narration is about the same. The first one's chat room scene was hilarious in audio book form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Just got finished with Reaper's Gale by Stephen Erikson. So very glad that the Malazan books are being brought to Audible, because while they are very enjoyable for driving to work and on long trips, his writing is so dense and long that I'll find myself rereading the same passage over and over again. Even then I have to dial Michael Page's narration up to 1.5x - but the end result is that I get through a very enjoyable series that never seems to drop a plot thread.

Just wish they'd crank the rest of them out. Now I have to find other diversions until March (when Toll of the Hounds finally comes out).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mastajake posted:

The sequel is even better, though the quality of the narration is about the same. The first one's chat room scene was hilarious in audio book form.

I was terribly disappointed in the movie after listening to the audiobook, that's for sure.

The songs that the narrator read off were hilarious, but incomprehensible in the movie.

EDIT: Listening to This Book is Full of Spiders and cracking up over the "I love how black guys put so much emphasis on the first syllable in 'gently caress you', it's like a physical blow".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

coyo7e posted:

The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi. Ultra-futurist sci fi heist thing. Very poetic, fun listen.
Worth noting that the narrator for this is Scott Brick, the man with the smuggest, most velvetty voice in all of narration that I have encountered.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
The issue with Quantum Thief is stuff happens and doesn't do a very good job of telling you or explaining to you what happens.

Mentalfloss
Nov 19, 2003

Grandma is a whore

wargames posted:

The issue with Quantum Thief is stuff happens and doesn't do a very good job of telling you or explaining to you what happens.

I found this as well. I kept having to rewind parts until I finally gave up and just read the book instead.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Wade Wilson posted:

I was terribly disappointed in the movie after listening to the audiobook, that's for sure.

The songs that the narrator read off were hilarious, but incomprehensible in the movie.

EDIT: Listening to This Book is Full of Spiders and cracking up over the "I love how black guys put so much emphasis on the first syllable in 'gently caress you', it's like a physical blow".

I'm dying for #3. Anytime we got John's version of what happened without David was hilarious. I actually started with the movie which i thought was crazy and then found the books.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Another agreement that the movie was terrible. The casting was spot on and such-- it just didn't translate seeing how they could only do the first 30% of the book and then they rushed to the last 10%. Very disjointed and didn't work out, even if they picked perfect actors for the roles.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I forget, did they do the "uplifting music = horrible pain to demons" *plays Here I go again by Whitesnake* gag in the movie?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Wade Wilson posted:

I forget, did they do the "uplifting music = horrible pain to demons" *plays Here I go again by Whitesnake* gag in the movie?

I don't think so. They took so much out of the movie that wasn't in the first 25% of the book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jeeves posted:

I don't think so. They took so much out of the movie that wasn't in the first 25% of the book.
I was kind of amazed at how well they compacted so much stuff in the movie from the book, though. Like the one-handed girl who manages to contain the attributes of like 3 or 4 different characters. It was kind of impressive when I watched the movie from that perspective.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Just got finished with Reaper's Gale by Stephen Erikson. So very glad that the Malazan books are being brought to Audible, because while they are very enjoyable for driving to work and on long trips, his writing is so dense and long that I'll find myself rereading the same passage over and over again. Even then I have to dial Michael Page's narration up to 1.5x - but the end result is that I get through a very enjoyable series that never seems to drop a plot thread.

Just wish they'd crank the rest of them out. Now I have to find other diversions until March (when Toll of the Hounds finally comes out).

It's such a shame that they got rid of Ralph Lister. Michael Page is decent enough, but Ralph Lister is a masterful narrator. Worse is that Michael Page apparently didn't even bother to check how things were pronounced by Ralph Lister to maintain some form of consistency, how freaking lazy is that?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
John dies at the end would have made a really good TV series, and I just don't see how it could work in a shorter form.

The audiobooks are absolutely perfect, although I prefer the first Narrator over the second.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

wargames posted:

I kind of liked that. But they changed the narrator for three. Very disappointing.

java
May 7, 2005

Can anyone suggest funny/amusing/trippy/outlandish memoirs, essay, or autobiographical audiobooks? The kinds of audiobooks I've gone through already and am looking for things of a similar ilk are: David Sedaris' work, most of Augusten Burroughs' work (really liked Dry, massively disliked A Wolf at the Table if that gives you a reference point), Tina Fey's "Bossypants," and William Burroughs' "Junky."

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

java posted:

Can anyone suggest funny/amusing/trippy/outlandish memoirs, essay, or autobiographical audiobooks? The kinds of audiobooks I've gone through already and am looking for things of a similar ilk are: David Sedaris' work, most of Augusten Burroughs' work (really liked Dry, massively disliked A Wolf at the Table if that gives you a reference point), Tina Fey's "Bossypants," and William Burroughs' "Junky."

I really liked The Death of Cool AKA How to Piss in Public by Gavin McInnes, one of the co-founders of Vice and professional troll. I probably would've given up on it as a book because it's a lot of sex and drug stories told by an rear end in a top hat, but his narration makes it a great, hilarious listen.

Also, just listened to John Waters's Role Models. It was a lot of fun. It's a series of essays of his various favorite people that have influenced him throughout his life.

Scrot Eel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 8, 2014

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

java posted:

I haven't gotten around to it myself but the Diary of Samuel Pepys is supposed to be one of the great all time memoirs.

e: VVVVV I can't recommend "A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson" enough. IMO it's the best audio book ever made.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 22, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You might also like some of Bill Bryson's travelogues that he self-narrates. In a Sunburned Country about Australia is a pretty good place to start.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

java posted:

Try some Hunter S Thompson? I can't imagine anyone could afford Johnny Depp, but a decent narrator will give you a wild ride on most of his works.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm currently on book 10 of The Dresden Files and am still enjoying both the books themselves and Marsters' narration. I also took a break and listened through Gone Girl which was great. The narration is split between a man and woman, and it works out really well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mastajake posted:

I'm currently on book 10 of The Dresden Files and am still enjoying both the books themselves and Marsters' narration.

You'll be sad when you hit book 13 since Jim Butcher finished that one late and Marsters had other professional commitments by that point so he couldn't narrate it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

fordan posted:

You'll be sad when you hit book 13 since Jim Butcher finished that one late and Marsters had other professional commitments by that point so he couldn't narrate it.

It isn't that bad once you get a few chapters in, honestly.

Plus, Marsters comes back on Cold Days, so it's all good.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I actually preferred the Ghost Story narrator after a few chapters. He is great.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

He really isn't as bad as people give him poo poo for.

Unrelated fantasy note, there's a sidestory in the Kingkiller chronicles series (Name of the Wind) out next week, centered around Auri (the brain damaged ex-student from the university who lives in the sewers) narrated by Rothfuss himself.

If you're jonesing for more kingkiller, might be worth a buy in! (I did).

e: The Slow Regard of Silent Things

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Is there a thread for good Audible/Kindle combo deals? Sometimes buying a Kindle book gives the option to add the Audible narration for a discount, and that sometimes means getting the audio book for <$10. I bought Rendezvous With Rama for $1.99 and the audio book cost me another $1.99 so I own both for $4. Fantastic deal, and Amazon's Whispersync lets me pick up on one version where I left off on the other.

Here's another: The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive Book 1) [Kindle Edition] for $0.00 and add the Audible version for $13. (Not really a deal, since that's the normal price of the Audio book, although $13 for 45 hours of audiobook is not bad)

Edit: You can check if you've already bought any Kindle books that have accompanying Audible narrations here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/matchmaker

jototo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 2, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Are any of the Discworld audiobooks any good? I'm up to Witches Abroad.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 12, 2014

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Guards guards is fantastic

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My dad has asked for a book on cd because he's on the road all the time. Anyone have any suggestions. I'll take anything that sounds interesting. Not romance or anything like that please.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does he have a smart phone or anything? Because books on CD cost like 40-60 bucks. It'd be cheaper to buy him a 3 month subscription to audible. Or tell him to go to the library and borrow one. Sometimes you can find them in thrift stores as well.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I've only read a few of them as audiobooks, narrated by Nigel Planer and Celia Imrie. They were both quite good narrators, but Imrie (in Wyrd Sisters) gave some of the characters really annoying speech impediments. Maybe the characters were written like that, I don't know, but it's far more annoying to listen to than to read. On the whole I'd certainly recommend them though, just make sure to get the unabridged versions.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Spikeguy posted:

My dad has asked for a book on cd because he's on the road all the time. Anyone have any suggestions. I'll take anything that sounds interesting. Not romance or anything like that please.

I really enjoyed the audio book versions of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. The ones I have listened to are Never Go Back and Personal.

newbinator
Nov 14, 2014

Get your shit together, and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere. You know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum, I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your shit together.

langurmonkey posted:

I really enjoyed the audio book versions of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. The ones I have listened to are Never Go Back and Personal.

I've listened to them all & they're all mostly good, but I would recommend listening to number 1, it was definitely my favourite.

newbinator
Nov 14, 2014

Get your shit together, and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere. You know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum, I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your shit together.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm sure its already been mentioned but 11/22/63 by Stephen king has to be one of the best I've listened to. In short: A man goes back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK, falls in love while he's there etc etc. he won't want to turn off the car.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'll put a recommendation in for The Spatterjay series by Neal Asher and narrated by William Gaminara. William brings a great deal of personality to the stories, which are centered around a crazy hostile planet and the varied alien culture which seek to gain some sort of control over it. If you like Iain Bank's culture series this will scratch the same sort of itch for you, but bit not in anywhere near the same cosmic scale. Sniper is definitely a mind to be reckoned.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Does he have a smart phone or anything? Because books on CD cost like 40-60 bucks. It'd be cheaper to buy him a 3 month subscription to audible. Or tell him to go to the library and borrow one. Sometimes you can find them in thrift stores as well.

I've never bought an audiobook, but I've found my library's selection is actually pretty good and Overdrive is much easier to use than it used to be. New and good things generally have a waiting list, but I don't mind since I get through so many books.

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012

Yarrbossa posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the first 6 Harry Potter books by Stephen Fry. I was never a fan of Jim Dale. I listened to all of them 3-4 times, the story and reader were just that good.

I also listened to Lord of the Rings. I'm not sure who was reading them, but they were awesome.

I loved audiobooks. I never have a reason to listen to them constantly anymore. I used to deliver pizza's, and it was fantastic. They helped me transition into reading actual books, which I wasn't before.

EDIT: ^^ The LOTR version I had was done by one guy who sung the songs in the book. It made a bigger impact than it does when I just read the books.

Almost finished with Return of the King and, yes, Robert Inglis does an incredible job. The singing of the songs really makes it an experience.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Strange Matter posted:

Worth noting that the narrator for this is Scott Brick, the man with the smuggest, most velvetty voice in all of narration that I have encountered.

Going back a bit, but there is also a version out there narrated by Rupert Degas, who is one of my favourites generally, and it's awesome, if you don't mind a bit of voice distortion for certain characters. Has a strange kind of dreamy quality to it that fits well. First book only though I think.

Also, a recommendation, I recently listened to the audiobooks of Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice and its sequel. They seems to be a bit polarising but I loved both and the narration is really excellent.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm one of the ones polarized by the Audible version of Ancillary Justice. The book is incredible and absolutely deserves the major awards that rained down on it, but the narration was so grating that I had to go out and get a print copy to finish it. Ciulla's reading feels forced, partly because of the way she enunciates anything that isn't a normal English word (which, in this book, is a lot of words). Bernadette Dunne does something similar in the MaddAddam books, this combination of cadence and over-enunciation that puts so much emphasis on the made-up words that they stand out like crazy.

Who are the great female narrators anyway, the equivalents of legends like George Guidall and Jonathan Davis? I've heard samples from Tandy Cronyn and Rebecca Lowman, and they both sounded great in the five minutes of exposure I've had to them, but it'd be nice to hear of some others.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kestral posted:

I'm one of the ones polarized by the Audible version of Ancillary Justice. The book is incredible and absolutely deserves the major awards that rained down on it, but the narration was so grating that I had to go out and get a print copy to finish it. Ciulla's reading feels forced, partly because of the way she enunciates anything that isn't a normal English word (which, in this book, is a lot of words). Bernadette Dunne does something similar in the MaddAddam books, this combination of cadence and over-enunciation that puts so much emphasis on the made-up words that they stand out like crazy.

Who are the great female narrators anyway, the equivalents of legends like George Guidall and Jonathan Davis? I've heard samples from Tandy Cronyn and Rebecca Lowman, and they both sounded great in the five minutes of exposure I've had to them, but it'd be nice to hear of some others.
I've listened to plenty of audiobooks with great narration by women and even some where it's completely the narrator's performance that makes the book for me and I might not be interested in reading it as a printed book (the Bloody Jack and Flavia de Luce series, and probably Code Name Verity) but unfortunately none of these narrators are very prolific (I don't know if it's a bad thing in that their books haven't sold or a good thing that these people are talented enough that they're busy doing other stuff like acting rather than narrating audiobooks, but it's too bad as a listener of audiobooks at any rate.)

The only exception I can find is Susan Duerden, whose narration of Embassytown and The Rook I thought was pretty good, but while she has apparently done a large number of books, the vast majority aren't in genres I'm interested in.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mystes posted:

The only exception I can find is Susan Duerden, whose narration of Embassytown and The Rook I thought was pretty good, but while she has apparently done a large number of books, the vast majority aren't in genres I'm interested in.

Embassytown always struck me as impossible to do as an audiobook, given the nature of Ariekei Language and how important that is to the story. How do they handle it? In the print version they show Language words stacked on top of each other, separated by a horizontal bar like a fraction.

Edit: Ah, Susan Duerden did the Mina Harker chapters of Audible's Dracula. Yep, that's a good narrator right there.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 23, 2014