Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbagliom posted:

Has there ever been a movie where the actors are just reading from the scripts? As in, literally carrying around the script the entire time?

I am pretty sure that it happens in Robin Hoods Men in tights. When Robin Hood looses he gets confused and checks the script to see if he gets another try. The rest of the cast also checks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is that the Polanski one? That movie's weird as hell.

Yeah but I just roll with it and it works. The music certainly helps the atmosphere.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Is anyone familiar with this DVD edition of Yeelen? A lot of the information I can find about the release is less than inspiring, but it also seems to be the only way to see the film. Or alternatively does anyone know if there is better version of the movie available that I'm overlooking?

I've been interested in seeing this for a while, so if the only option I've got is a lovely copy, I'll probably pick it up, but it seems like something worth seeing a quality version of.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Is anyone familiar with this DVD edition of Yeelen? A lot of the information I can find about the release is less than inspiring, but it also seems to be the only way to see the film. Or alternatively does anyone know if there is better version of the movie available that I'm overlooking?

I've been interested in seeing this for a while, so if the only option I've got is a lovely copy, I'll probably pick it up, but it seems like something worth seeing a quality version of.
Eh, it's Kino. It's not a good transfer, but I don't remember it being horrid or unwatchable, just the usual interlacing and lack of care Kino is known for. Supposedly this version https://www.trigon-film.org/en/shop/DVD/Yeelen_-_Brightness is better, but I don't know how much better or if the difference is worth the effort importing and the price difference.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Too bad there isn't a better option. Get on that poo poo Criterion.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there a reason why so many films that were intended to be released in 3D, such as any Marvel film of the last couple years, were shot in 2D and converted? It made sense when studios were hopping aboard the 3D bandwagon in the wake of Avatar, but it's been years and they're still doing it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JohnSherman posted:

Is there a reason why so many films that were intended to be released in 3D, such as any Marvel film of the last couple years, were shot in 2D and converted? It made sense when studios were hopping aboard the 3D bandwagon in the wake of Avatar, but it's been years and they're still doing it.

Converting is cheaper.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

computer parts posted:

Converting is cheaper.

I guess I should have figured it would be something like that.

e: How expensive is shooting in 3D that digitally altering every frame of footage in order to create depth is cheaper?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 4, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Post-conversion does not have to be automatically poo poo, as it depends on how much time and effort get put into the conversion; Titanic was pretty good about that. And in films where most of the elements in the frame are computer-generated in the first place, the distinction is minimal.

Edit:

JohnSherman posted:

e: How expensive is shooting in 3D that digitally altering every frame of footage in order to create depth is cheaper?

Ironically, native-3d shooting something like a chamber drama would most likely be cheaper than trying to convert it in post. The expense imbalance starts flipping when you take into account that 3d rigs are extremely finicky and if you want to be precise in production (rather than causing stereographic errors which would make you have to "fix it in post" anyway), that incurs more time in production, which involves more production days and thus more money to everyone involved. This also increases when you have to use shots involving camera motion, mounted on vehicles, underwater, etc.; along with any shots you have to plan to composite with computer graphics later. These elements, you may notice, are exactly the kinds of things that Marvel films use a ton of.

Avatar itself had a handful of shots that had to be post-converted, anyway. It's not necessarily an either-or thing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 4, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah didn't Nevaldine or Taylor say that even movies natively shot in 3d will quite often have a good chunk that's post converyed just because of technical issues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's also an issue that post conversion makes it easier to make things pop-out more. A lot of "filmed in 3d" doesn't have as much pop in a lot of scenes because realistic depth isn't always as dramatic. But I could be wrong.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

sbagliom posted:

Has there ever been a movie where the actors are just reading from the scripts? As in, literally carrying around the script the entire time?

Dr Evil referenced the script in his Prison Rap in Goldmember.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I just saw the Equalizer and kind of liked it, the high point being the end, wherein there's a Home-Alone style "catch the criminals with homemade traps" sequence. Any other actions movies that have a lot of booby traps on unsuspecting mooks? And on Denzel, was Man On Fire watchable, and if not, what are some good mature action films that actually "bring the action".

I feel like i'm disappointed when an action film has maybe a set-piece or two, and they're short, and you're usually left with a threadbare story and a nice looking film that is dead on screen when people aren't shooting.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Was it "Blown Away" that had Pierce Brosnan using household items to kill generic bad guys in a house for the finale? It's been a long while since I saw it but I remember it fitting your criteria fairly well.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

There were at least a few traps in the manor scene of Skyfall.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Penpal posted:

I just saw the Equalizer and kind of liked it, the high point being the end, wherein there's a Home-Alone style "catch the criminals with homemade traps" sequence. Any other actions movies that have a lot of booby traps on unsuspecting mooks? And on Denzel, was Man On Fire watchable, and if not, what are some good mature action films that actually "bring the action".

Death Wish 3 easily fits your Home Alone criteria, though I wouldn't label it as good or mature.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're Next is all about this poo poo. It's basically "evil killers assault a family during a reunion but one of the guests grew up as a hardcore survivalist and schools the poo poo out of all of them one by one.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

You're Next is all about this poo poo. It's basically "evil killers assault a family during a reunion but one of the guests grew up as a hardcore survivalist and schools the poo poo out of all of them one by one.

So essentially a horror movie for horror movie villains? That actually sounds kind of interesting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JohnSherman posted:

So essentially a horror movie for horror movie villains? That actually sounds kind of interesting.

It's a pretty good take on slasher movies. It doesn't redefine the genre or anything but it's a solidly watchable film. Also, the family finds the time to be incredibly petty to one another while being shot at by crossbow bolts.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Road Warrior is one of those rare movies I don't think I've ever heard an unkind word about, ever. Like, the closest thing is people saying "shame what happened to Mel Gibson, huh?"

I know this is a two week old post, but I just wandered in the thread and am reading backwards through the pages WHILE the ending of The Road Warrior is playing on my tv during my first watching.

The only thing I really didn't like about it is that the score is so loud throughout the entire movie. Like, hard to hear what characters are saying (though that doesn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things). I only ever saw Mad Max 1 a few years ago, but Best Buy has Mad Max 2 and 3 blu-rays for $5 each, though I only walked out with 2 knowing what people have said about 3.

Really wanted to see it after checking out the Comic-Con trailer for Fury Road and loving every second of it.

But yeah, after my first watch, the only problem I had was the music was way too loud (and CONSTANT). Maybe it's just a problem in the mix on the blu-ray, but ehhhh...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

I know this is a two week old post, but I just wandered in the thread and am reading backwards through the pages WHILE the ending of The Road Warrior is playing on my tv during my first watching.

The only thing I really didn't like about it is that the score is so loud throughout the entire movie. Like, hard to hear what characters are saying (though that doesn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things). I only ever saw Mad Max 1 a few years ago, but Best Buy has Mad Max 2 and 3 blu-rays for $5 each, though I only walked out with 2 knowing what people have said about 3.

Really wanted to see it after checking out the Comic-Con trailer for Fury Road and loving every second of it.

But yeah, after my first watch, the only problem I had was the music was way too loud (and CONSTANT). Maybe it's just a problem in the mix on the blu-ray, but ehhhh...

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the mix on the version you have. I remember a lot of DVDs in general used to have the problem of mixing the music way too loud.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, I've noticed that on the DVD version as well and I just figured they destroyed the mix when they turned it into 5.1.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Penpal posted:

And on Denzel, was Man On Fire watchable, and if not, what are some good mature action films that actually "bring the action".

Man on Fire was fantastic.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a pretty good take on slasher movies. It doesn't redefine the genre or anything but it's a solidly watchable film. Also, the family finds the time to be incredibly petty to one another while being shot at by crossbow bolts.

So it's more like The Ref of horror movies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Man on Fire was fantastic.

I liked it a lot but I saw it on a plane and they cut off the ending so I assumed it was much darker than it was for some reason.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
The first few times I saw Real Genius, I missed the the opening sequence with the evil military meeting and came in during the science fair. After seeing the film from the true beginning, I have come to the conclusion that it is a much better movie without that opening scene. The reveal of the military project seems to come out of nowhere and really puts the viewer in the characters' shoes for a few moments.

Are there any other films(other than the theatrical cut of Dark City) where cutting a few minutes from the beginning makes a significant improvement?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ninja Gamer posted:

The first few times I saw Real Genius, I missed the the opening sequence with the evil military meeting and came in during the science fair. After seeing the film from the true beginning, I have come to the conclusion that it is a much better movie without that opening scene. The reveal of the military project seems to come out of nowhere and really puts the viewer in the characters' shoes for a few moments.

Are there any other films(other than the theatrical cut of Dark City) where cutting a few minutes from the beginning makes a significant improvement?

Interesting question. I can think of loads of movies where cutting the last few minutes makes it better (Identity, Lincoln) but I'm not sure about the converse. I do know a person who thinks the ape section of 2001 is boring and should be cut but that person is an idiot so

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Probably most modern big budget sci-fi movies that have a huge info dump at the beginning, like Edge of Tomorrow.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
I'm pretty certain I had the same experience with Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake Country, but it was many years ago so can't remember exactly how much I missed at the start. I didn't see discovery of the UFO and aliens, so then it had a Jaws-like effect where I was waiting ages to see what was terrorising the family and all that was lost when I watched it again to show friends.

My question: I watched Rear Window for the first time last night, and was gripped right until the end when I almost laughed at it. There was a 10 second section where the footage was sped up and I thought it comical, so is this actually what happens or is there a problem with the Amazon streaming version? I'm presuming its legit, but can only find one mention of it, on an IMDB review.
I also didn't get the East River line, did the police really manage to interrogate Thorwald in 5 seconds?
And are we supposed to know who the woman was who leaves the apartment with Thorwald when Jeff is asleep?

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
In the movie Memento, in the opening scenes before Leonard kills Teddy you see him finding bullets in a truck.

Later, it is revealed that after Leonard kills Jimmy he is he one that leaves the bullets in the truck before taking Jimmy's car. What was the point of doing that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChrisXP posted:

I'm pretty certain I had the same experience with Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake Country, but it was many years ago so can't remember exactly how much I missed at the start. I didn't see discovery of the UFO and aliens, so then it had a Jaws-like effect where I was waiting ages to see what was terrorising the family and all that was lost when I watched it again to show friends.

My question: I watched Rear Window for the first time last night, and was gripped right until the end when I almost laughed at it. There was a 10 second section where the footage was sped up and I thought it comical, so is this actually what happens or is there a problem with the Amazon streaming version? I'm presuming its legit, but can only find one mention of it, on an IMDB review.
I also didn't get the East River line, did the police really manage to interrogate Thorwald in 5 seconds?
And are we supposed to know who the woman was who leaves the apartment with Thorwald when Jeff is asleep?

I think the version of Incident in Lake County that was put on UPN is better than the original that the director has since put online, partially because the middle makes a better end.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ninja Gamer posted:

Zardoz has an overly explanatory prologue that was added in to explain some things. I think it works better without it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The first time I saw Carlito's Way I missed the opening, so the ending came as a genuine surprise. The second time I saw it i saw that it starts at the ending and was a lesser movie for it.

floppo
Aug 24, 2005
I have been reading a friends' experimental cinema website but she focuses on eastern/central europe (shameless plug: artincinema.com). Do you know any similar sites focusing on different parts of the world?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ChrisXP posted:

There are two or three shots of people running out of their apartments to watch that are sped up. Definitely less than ten seconds total. I'm not entirely sure why they did that, except perhaps add a sense of urgency that maybe the shots in real time didn't have.

As for the East River, I think part of it is a technical aspect. This was still the days of the Hays Code and that meant bad guys needed to be punished. Rather than drag out a lengthy interrogation that would not fit in with the rest of the movie, setting and running time-wise, they had the cop mention that Thorwald is ready to confess, and that takes care of that as far as the audience knowing he'll pay for his crimes. Story-wise, I think Thorwald is just sick and tired of it all, stricken with guilt and harried by Jeff's harassment, not to mention the cops got him, so he's just ready to get it over with. He probably volunteered the info right away without the cops even asking.

In regards to the woman, there is an implication that Thorwald is cheating on his wife, with the secretive calls he takes. His wife confronts him about one. I've always assumed the woman is his mistress, come to give his story credence about sending his wife off. Somebody in the area/neighbors would have seen him leaving with a woman, and they wouldn't have had reason to believe it wasn't his wife. This is also kind of a sneaky move by Hitchcock, because it's the only thing we see that Jeff doesn't see. It kind of sets up the audience, for a period anyway, as a witness against Jeff.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Thanks DT.
I've heard of the Hays code, but being British it didn't occur to me that it might be that kind of thing. I can accept that its just a throwaway line to tick that box.
For the woman, I suppose I'd got it in my head that the audience seeing her was an accident rather than intentional on his part. As you say, she was meant to be seen but my brain had gone in a different direction.

I wasn't aware that there was an earlier version of Incident in Lake County, thanks for the heads-up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Penpal posted:

And on Denzel, was Man On Fire watchable, and if not, what are some good mature action films that actually "bring the action".

Most people seem to really like it, but I found the pacing really slow and the ending unsatisfying.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr_Amazing posted:

Most people seem to really like it, but I found the pacing really slow and the ending unsatisfying.

I found the reveal rendered the whole film pretty horrifying, actually.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Ninja Gamer posted:

Dune. A million times Dune.

The theatrical cut has a short two minute prologue highlighting just the key story elements (the guild, the houses, Arrakis, the prophecy).

The extended cut's prologue never ends, listing every drat event that occurs within the books with illustrations that are held on screen for far too long.

No wonder David Lynch took his name off of that cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FrostedButts posted:

Dune. A million times Dune.

The theatrical cut has a short two minute prologue highlighting just the key story elements (the guild, the houses, Arrakis, the prophecy).

The extended cut's prologue never ends, listing every drat event that occurs within the books with illustrations that are held on screen for far too long.

No wonder David Lynch took his name off of that cut.

To be fair there are so many problems with that movie that the prologue is very low on the list.