Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

proof of concept posted:

Cinema-quality animation wouldn't put the big toe on the outside of the foot :colbert:

jk I love this show I wish the new ones dropped more frequently
that shot does annoy me though
Who ever said it was a human
-style foot? We know a major player has 6 fingers, who's to say altered foot schemes are out of the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pick posted:

You can tell that was a composition decision. The composition on the shots is always really loving crazy good. Look at how it leads you from pointing Dipper (why's he pointing?) the footprint (that's why!) to Stan (how's he feel about this?) to the larger toes (oh my gosh, it's another footprint!)

Sock Opera is the best the show has ever looked. It's glorious.

The second best is the season finale. That looked and felt like a movie. Here's my favorite animated scene from last season. Looks incredible. Perfect CGI/Animation blend.

http://youtu.be/9wKr1kdZnJc?t=1m

I love the small little detail they added with Dipper actually wiping the blood off his nose before he leaps. That's how you deal with continuity.

Deep down, I want to be an animator, I suppose. I just don't have the patience.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 1, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's amazing :swoon:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The thread subtitle should be "Anthyding Can Hadplen"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JT Jag posted:

Adventure Time has a much larger budget and staff than Gravity Falls. They're Cartoon Network's bell-cow and they get a lot of privileges most shows don't. Few cartoons have as many different writers and storyboard artists as Adventure Time.

Even still it's pretty bloody impressive. Adventure time and Southpark -low quality animation sure, but one week turn around from initial idea, to script to finished show, WTF- always amaze me with their crazy, crazy production schedules.

Animation is just such a massive time sink-hole, blows my mind that they manage to both do what they do. Nothing against Gravity Falls for taking a bit more time though, as, as people have noted the extra effort it allows them to put into the animation quality is totally worth it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That one week turnaround explains a lot when it comes to the writing of Adventure Time.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

dr_rat was referring to South Park. According to this article it takes a good nine months to produce an episode of Adventure Time, but what's impressive there is the sheer quantity of episodes they managed to deliver last season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ovaries posted:

dr_rat was referring to South Park. According to this article it takes a good nine months to produce an episode of Adventure Time, but what's impressive there is the sheer quantity of episodes they managed to deliver last season.
Yeah, it takes a long period of time to fully polish off an episode of Adventure Time, but they make a lot of them. They make enough episodes to cover a long period of time and immediately jump on the next batch of episodes with little or no break while the other episodes are airing. It's unlike the structure of a lot of cartoons that go fully on hiatus for several months between seasons.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cartoon Network has reached the point where every week they debut a new episode of one of their cartoons with almost no breaks or interruptions, it's ridiculous.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, it takes a long period of time to fully polish off an episode of Adventure Time, but they make a lot of them. They make enough episodes to cover a long period of time and immediately jump on the next batch of episodes with little or no break while the other episodes are airing. It's unlike the structure of a lot of cartoons that go fully on hiatus for several months between seasons.

That's likely because AT has a contract set for an unknown number of years so they don't stop production given that they know they have 3 or four seasons to produce eventually anyways or their contracts are negotiated seasons in advance each season. OTOH, shows like Gravity Falls (or most shows that are run season to season) have a contract that lasts for one season so once production ended, they didn't keep going since they didn't know if there would be an S2 or not. Once it was confirmed, production started again complete with the months long period it takes to produce an episode.

As an example, the turnover between Korra S3 and S4 was so fast because their contract had them for a third and fourth season, so once S3 was wrapped up, they could immediately work on S4, probably long before S3 even aired

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

As an example, the turnover between Korra S3 and S4 was so fast because their contract had them for a third and fourth season, so once S3 was wrapped up, they could immediately work on S4, probably long before S3 even aired
Considering that Nick greenlit three full seasons after Book One of Korra, which ended in 2012, who even knows how long Book Four has been in the can?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

JT Jag posted:

Considering that Nick greenlit three full seasons after Book One of Korra, which ended in 2012, who even knows how long Book Four has been in the can?

Was the fan response that good? I watched Book One and while bits of it were good, by the end I felt really underwhelmed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

Not true. Book 2 was greenlit after pre-production wrapped on Book 1 (which in animated TV means that writing, storyboarding, and voice acting are all done). Books 3 and 4 were greenlit during the 15 month hiatus between Books 1 and 2 that was caused by having to bring back the Studio that animated Book 1 when their replacements hosed up half the season.

Some Numbers posted:

Was the fan response that good? I watched Book One and while bits of it were good, by the end I felt really underwhelmed.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 2, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

The ratings for Book One were great. Book Two was a bit lackluster, and was moved to Friday, which led to suboptimal ratings and several (often practically unannounced) timeslot change. The new worse Friday timeslot stuck, and so even though Book Three was the best one yet by far, the ratings continued to decline, until eventually they stopped showing them on TV altogether. Now Nick just wants to burn its contract with Korra by airing Book Four immediately and washing its hands of the ordeal.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 2, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIcH2vzGMQ
Yep this is going to be the greatest episode ever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

achillesforever6 posted:

This is so much better than I was expecting. I thought they were just gonna have Waddles talking but this is way better

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I finally started catching up on this show and it is hilarious! I certainly wasn't expecting Paul Robertson to guest animate.

I would make avatar fodder out of these, but I have no idea how to optimize them.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He guest animated Fight Fighters, an episode which aired 20 years ago today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh my god, it's like watching Cosmos layered on top of Gravity Falls. I have to concur, I can't imagine how they're going to top this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Society of the Blind Eye"

Air date: October 27, 2014

:negative:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think the Japanese on the back is just the series blurb on the official Disney site.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Horrifying

Magnificent.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Just Offscreen posted:

I finally started catching up on this show and it is hilarious! I certainly wasn't expecting Paul Robertson to guest animate.

I would make avatar fodder out of these, but I have no idea how to optimize them.
Oh man if someone could make one of the first three avatar usable you'd be my pal.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I think the Japanese on the back is just the series blurb on the official Disney site.
"Seems Legit Co. Ltd."

Also, that Alex Hirsch body pillow.
I feel like this is the first animated show where the creator gets almost as much attention as the show itself. Or maybe it's just the first time I've cared.

Edit :https://vine.co/v/OzXtzrH7KtW :allears:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Japanese is a description of the series as a whole: "The Pines twins, Dipper and Mabel, are spending the summer staying with their great uncle Stan in Gravity Falls, Oregon. However, Stan's "work" is fleecing tourists and at his house, the Mystery Shack, strange things happen almost everyday."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's 100% better than I got, which is "Pines brother and sister Mabel and Dipper is, was Dan~tsu that the darkness of the summer vacation only, live under Stan great-uncle, who lives in Gravity Falls, Oregon. However, Stan has worked fraud tourists opponent, tt, bizarre dividing incident were to occur almost every day at home "MYSTERY SHACK" stun will be 012 people the Soviet Union to stay."

Keep on keepin' on, Google Photo Translate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does capslockgame.com go anywhere? I'm just afraid to check in case it's being squatted by some of the weird goro people on Twimblr.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

That's 100% better than I got, which is "Pines brother and sister Mabel and Dipper is, was Dan~tsu that the darkness of the summer vacation only, live under Stan great-uncle, who lives in Gravity Falls, Oregon. However, Stan has worked fraud tourists opponent, tt, bizarre dividing incident were to occur almost every day at home "MYSTERY SHACK" stun will be 012 people the Soviet Union to stay."

Keep on keepin' on, Google Photo Translate.

This is why translation is still done by hand!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Oh man if someone could make one of the first three avatar usable you'd be my pal.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

my_dating_life.gif

:negative:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Thanks you :). Do you want anything for it ?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Archives?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Alright. Give me some time and I'll get that for you. :)

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 3, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Alright. Give me some time and I'll get get that for you. :)

What's that quote from under the avatar

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Alan Smithee posted:

What's that quote from under the avatar

It's referencing Space Dandy. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Dandy

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Thoughts on the new episode? I thought it was just okay. The first of the three stories was easily my favorite. Lots of background stuff to notice in that one, and I loved the Manos: The Hands of Fate reference with the witch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

heytallman posted:

Thoughts on the new episode? I thought it was just okay. The first of the three stories was easily my favorite. Lots of background stuff to notice in that one, and I loved the Manos: The Hands of Fate reference with the witch.

drat I thought it was airing next next monday. YOU'RE TEARING ME APART DISNEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeeee! I can't wait to see how Mabel would actively try to make Waddles normal.

• Locked thread