Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Austrian mook posted:

another week, and yet still no Shovel Knight

Fixed, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Who the gently caress cares, Smash is out this week, no other game matters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's PAL-Land. They already have FE7.

I don't think the US is going to get it this month, October means Castlevania games from the look of it.

They've announced Rondo of Blood and Circle of the Moon, but what else is left? I guess there were two more GBA ones? I think they've covered all NES and SNES ones now. Some game boy ones of course.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

They've announced Rondo of Blood and Circle of the Moon, but what else is left? I guess there were two more GBA ones? I think they've covered all NES and SNES ones now. Some game boy ones of course.

You got me really excited for a minute about Rondo but then I remembered it was the SNES version, Dracula X, and not the good version. :(

I hope Aria of Sorrow hits the eShop soon, it's my favorite of the GBA Castlevanias, but this could be a good time to introduce DS virtual console games so people can get the DS ones at a reasonable price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wish Nintendo had held off on adding NES games to the 3DS for a little while longer so that third parties could have released more old Game Boy stuff that'd never be re-released otherwise, but I guess that door has closed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The second Gameboy Castlevania is actually pretty good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that game and Operation C were the games I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Well, that and Motocross Maniacs, a game I played the hell out of because it was on all the 50-in-1 pirate carts but probably wasn't actually any good.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wish Nintendo had held off on adding NES games to the 3DS for a little while longer so that third parties could have released more old Game Boy stuff that'd never be re-released otherwise, but I guess that door has closed.

Aren't some companies still putting out Game Boy games or has it just been nothing but NES games lately? I can't imagine we'll see Belmont's Revenge or Legends up there anytime soon but it'd be really neat if they did. Hell, what's the reason Contra 1's not been put up? That's one that'd probably be guaranteed sales.

I'm more bugged that only Japan seems to be getting TG-16 games and Sega's content doesn't seem like it'll be getting the bump to the Wii U VC, that was like one of the best parts of the Wii's VC was having the third-party console libraries in addition to Nintendo's stuff. I get that I can still buy/play those games through Wii Mode but there's plenty of games that never made it on. :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
FYI I just logged into Club Nintendo and there was a bonus survey worth 10 coins that expires today. Might want to check.

"We are offering this survey to a small number of Club Nintendo members."

"The survey will take less than 10 minutes, and you will earn 10 Coins for participating. You have until September 29th to provide us your feedback."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Aren't some companies still putting out Game Boy games or has it just been nothing but NES games lately? I can't imagine we'll see Belmont's Revenge or Legends up there anytime soon but it'd be really neat if they did. Hell, what's the reason Contra 1's not been put up? That's one that'd probably be guaranteed sales.

I'm more bugged that only Japan seems to be getting TG-16 games and Sega's content doesn't seem like it'll be getting the bump to the Wii U VC, that was like one of the best parts of the Wii's VC was having the third-party console libraries in addition to Nintendo's stuff. I get that I can still buy/play those games through Wii Mode but there's plenty of games that never made it on. :(

GB/C releases haven't dried up completely but it's mostly games from companies like Natsume or Wayforward that have more handheld games than NES games. Most of the big publishers stopped bothering with Game Boy the moment NES was an option, which makes sense considering most GB/C games were just ports or conversions of games that were also available for NES.

The Japanese 3DS VC hasn't had a single new release in five months, for any platform.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Japanese 3DS VC hasn't had a single new release in five months, for any platform.

What the hell. Do companies there hate what's basically free money?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well a lot of companies with Gameboy games just don't exist anymore or have been sold and resold so much it is unclear who ow s the games. I think NoJ is also probably very hard to work with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

What the hell. Do companies there hate what's basically free money?

I have no idea.

Konami, for instance, started releasing PC Engine games on 3DS and Wii U at roughly the same time but the 3DS releases tapered off after a few games even though the Wii U is still going strong, and no-one's gotten an explanation.

There's also Square-Enix, which announced a 25th anniversary campaign for the SaGa series (which they later announced would be stretched over two years because they had nothing to announce...) but still hasn't released the SaGa GB games, even though they've started releasing weird poo poo like Live-A-Live on Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

FYI I just logged into Club Nintendo and there was a bonus survey worth 10 coins that expires today. Might want to check.

"We are offering this survey to a small number of Club Nintendo members."

"The survey will take less than 10 minutes, and you will earn 10 Coins for participating. You have until September 29th to provide us your feedback."

Yep. It's a survey about the Smash demo. It's an easy test to take, just say you'll buy all the Smash Bros.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you do the points thing, Bayonetta 2 download version intend-to-buy survey is up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm interested in that Smash Soundtrack promotion. Is there any deadline for when you have to register the 3DS version of Smash? I'll probably be getting it, but not day one.

(http://club2.nintendo.com/smash-promo/, for reference)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I just got the Smash code in my inbox from GAME. When will I be able to use it, midnight?

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I just got the Smash code in my inbox from GAME. When will I be able to use it, midnight?

Eleven! So you can get playing sooner.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 2):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    99Seconds - €2.49 / £2.29
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES, US ver.) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Armillo (Wii U eShop) - €3.69 / £2.99 until October 5
    Swords & Soldiers (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.77 until October 9
    Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.60 until October 12

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (October 3) - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Street Fighter 2010; The Final Fight (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 until October 16
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.25 until October 23

NA update (week of October 2):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Just Dance Kids 2014 - $19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    99Seconds - $2.49
    Red Riding Hood - $1.00
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Armillo (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until October 6
    Swords & Soldiers (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until October 9
    Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U eShop) - $8.39 until October 12

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (October 3) - $39.99
    Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle (October 7) - $?
3DS eSHOP
    Color Zen (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt, get Mighty Gunvolt for free! (3DS eShop) - available until November 28
    Glory of Generals (Wii U eShop) - $6.99 until October 9
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until October 16
    Jett Rocket 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until October 23
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    Kirby Super Star (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    NES Play Action Football (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    Super Punch-Out!! (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until October 12
    The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC) - 200 Coins, available until October 12
    Touch Solitaire (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 12

NA dudes, Castlevania: Circe of the Moon is confirmed for next week, and Harmony of Dissonance is confirmed for the week after, so it looks like Aria of Sorrow will probably drop on the 23rd. (Harvest Moon 2 GBC will be out in a couple weeks, too.)

Note: the Castlevania game being released today is not Rondo of Blood, it's the bastardised SNES sorta-port. It's not a terrible game but pretty much every other CV game on the VC is a better choice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess NOA was too embarrassed to mention it on their press release, but, Senran Kagura is also on sale in NA this week. $19.99 until the 14th.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PAL update (week of October 2):

NA update (week of October 2):

NA dudes, Castlevania: Circe of the Moon is confirmed for next week, and Harmony of Dissonance is confirmed for the week after, so it looks like Aria of Sorrow will probably drop on the 23rd. (Harvest Moon 2 GBC will be out in a couple weeks, too.)

Note: the Castlevania game being released today is not Rondo of Blood, it's the bastardised SNES sorta-port. It's not a terrible game but pretty much every other CV game on the VC is a better choice.

Why were Konami ports to Nintendo consoles generally poor? For instance Metal Gear is far inferior to the MSX version and Drac X is far inferior to the PC Engine version, but as far as I'm aware the Super Famicom outclassed the PC Engine in every possible way? Not sure about MSX vs Famicom, I could believe the MSX was just more powerful.

And oddly enough the NA adaptation of Castlevania 3 is not nearly as good as the Famicom version.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Why were Konami ports to Nintendo consoles generally poor? For instance Metal Gear is far inferior to the MSX version and Drac X is far inferior to the PC Engine version, but as far as I'm aware the Super Famicom outclassed the PC Engine in every possible way? Not sure about MSX vs Famicom, I could believe the MSX was just more powerful.

And oddly enough the NA adaptation of Castlevania 3 is not nearly as good as the Famicom version.

In the case of Dracula X, they either were under contract from NEC to not reuse level designs and stuff (which seems a little unlikely), but the more likely answer is :effort:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The NEC thing definitely played a part, the same was true of games from Hudson and others, too. That doesn't explain why Drac X is so half-arsed, though.

Metal Gear NES was made in three months by a different team, and the devs were specifically told to change things even if they didn't need to, just so hardcore fans would have a reason to check out the new version.

The Castlevania team made Snake's Revenge, maybe that's why that game doesn't suck.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
If I wanted to play Rondo of Blood today is the Wii VC the best bet? There was a PSP remake at some point, wasn't there?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

citizenlowell posted:

If I wanted to play Rondo of Blood today is the Wii VC the best bet? There was a PSP remake at some point, wasn't there?

The PSP remake is 2.5D, has the original Rondo of Blood as an unlockable and also has SotN available as well, so I consider that the best version to play, but if you can only play on Vita, you'll need an NA copy of the game because the EU one doesn't work for some reason, apparently. The Wii VC version is the second best option.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

citizenlowell posted:

Yeah, but you have to unlock the original in stage 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
e:nvm

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess NOA was too embarrassed to mention it on their press release, but, Senran Kagura is also on sale in NA this week. $19.99 until the 14th.
That's hosed up, Nintendo, have a little pride.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

That's hosed up, Nintendo, have a little pride.

It's on sale to promote the sequel coming to a competing console. I'd love to the the press release for something like that.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Supposedly NoE disabled my Club Nintendo account, though they say they can't determine why because they can't find any accounts linked to my username nor my e-mail addresses.
Has anyone here dealt with this before? I still had a bunch of stars on there which I wanted to buy some soundtrack discs with, but as it stands right now it seems they're all gone.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Here's a club nintendo code that came with mk8, it's useless to me in sweden as far as I know: IA5D3KAMSTMVZG21 <- reverse this.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

Here's a club nintendo code that came with mk8, it's useless to me in sweden as far as I know: IA5D3KAMSTMVZG21 <- reverse this.

Grabbed this, cheers!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a Smash Bros update on the eShop available now, Nintendo recommends downloading it in advance, probably to give their servers a break tonight.

I've pre-added money to my account, just gonna log in at exactly 11pm central and hope the download finishes by morning.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

greatn posted:

There's a Smash Bros update on the eShop available now, Nintendo recommends downloading it in advance, probably to give their servers a break tonight.

I've pre-added money to my account, just gonna log in at exactly 11pm central and hope the download finishes by morning.

You can preload smash bros? If so I'm buying it as soon as I get home from work!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

You can preload smash bros? If so I'm buying it as soon as I get home from work!

No, just the update for it.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Is there any way to know what the price for Bayonetta 1 / 2 will be when it gets to the UK eShop? Trying to decide whether to preorder a physical copy or just wait.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

greatn posted:

You're gonna need this update to play online, fyi. So it's really in your best interest to get it now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What timezone is an eshop midnight launch anyway, eastern?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

homeless snail posted:

What timezone is an eshop midnight launch anyway, eastern?

Yes, they release at midnight Eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nevett posted:

Is there any way to know what the price for Bayonetta 1 / 2 will be when it gets to the UK eShop? Trying to decide whether to preorder a physical copy or just wait.

Usually the entry appears one week before the release on eShop. But even then, the price might be put up as TBD.