Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wipeout posted:

I'm going to be buying a used car soon, what IS a good tactic for getting the price down?

For one, showing up in person and negotiating based on appearance and condition of the vehicle is key. Especially if you can find any real problems or flaws that aren't disclosed in the ad.

There's a lot of buyers who just want to get a good deal on something and really pursue the thrill and challenge of getting something cheaper--don't be that guy and don't deal with them if you're selling.

These people are the cheapass type that are strictly motivated by purchase price and they're always the worst buyers/sellers.

You can spot them easily because they're trying to get a deal on something they haven't even seen in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

We should put together a "How to buy a car from Craigslist" video and spam it to every craigslist site we can reach.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Team140 posted:

Craigslist buyers are the worst. Trying to sell my son's POS PT Cruiser for $2500 and these are the kinds of people that reply.

The only time I've gotten that question on my Ranger so far, it ended up being a 419 scam. But yes, gently caress those guys, gently caress the scammers, and gently caress the people who expect a $2500 car to be perfect.

With a new car, or a car at a (not buy-here-pay-here) dealership, feel free to negotiate ahead of time. But when you're dealing with a private seller, condition varies widely from car to car and making any offer without actually seeing it in person is widely regarded as a dick move. Whatever price below the asking price you want to offer, looks a lot better if you have that money in hand.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"What's the least you'll take?"

"Well, I'll make a special deal just for you. List price plus $500 for being a dipshit."

I've used that line before and had it used on me too, usually things get listed above value to give some wiggle room for negotiations, usually I knock the price down a little (really depends on what the value is, in the pt example above if I wanted $2500 I'd list it for $2600 or $2700 and let the buyer feel good by talking me down a hundred or two)

I always found it as a quick way to see how much they think they'll actually get for whatever they're selling. Just a quick way to get a bottom line price and not annoy the seller trying to figure out what price they'd be happy with. I guess some people hate it though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"What's your cheapest price" is expecting me to do your negotiations for you. Against myself. Put in some effort CL buyers, sheesh.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

revmoo posted:

"What's your cheapest price" is expecting me to do your negotiations for you. Against myself. Put in some effort CL buyers, sheesh.

This is when you give them what your posted the car for plus half. When they protest, keep going up. If they don't know how or when to negotiate, neither do you.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm always a fan of spitejobs like this

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did the drive shaft fall off? Bwaht

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A U-joint failed on my lovely used explorer. IT'S A LEMON!!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo posted:

A U-joint failed on my lovely used explorer. IT'S A LEMON!!!

That's an expedition :goonsay:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't get the fender. "Not bi it"?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Basically if you buy a mid-90s GM or Ford vehicle and the driveshaft is the only thing that falls off, you're doing pretty well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I don't get the fender. "Not bi it"?

It says "do" on the headlight, "do not bi it"

There are other subtle indications that the person who did this isn't that smart

revmoo posted:

Basically if you buy a mid-90s GM or Ford vehicle and the driveshaft is the only thing that falls off, you're doing pretty well.

That's 99 or newer :goonsay:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

Show up with a fist full of money. Have a price you want to pay. Well I only brought X much.

dicker until you are either happy with the price, or go home.

This is what works for me! Just tell the guy outright and be blunt.

"Ok, I like it, so I brought 2500 dollars."
*guy tries to haggle for a while and raise it some hundreds or thousands of dollars*
"Well, OK, but I only brought 2500 dollars."
*haggles more, can't you even do 100 more, blah blah*
"No, I only brought 2500 dollars."

Either they give in and you get what you want, or you go home out no more than the cost of gas and wait for the next potentially good deal to show up. Tell them "well, here's my number if you change your mind".

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Powershift posted:

That's 99 or newer :goonsay:

:drat:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

"Ok, I like it, so I brought 2500 dollars."
*guy tries to haggle for a while and raise it some hundreds or thousands of dollars*
"Well, OK, but I only brought 2500 dollars."
*haggles more, can't you even do 100 more, blah blah*
"No, I only brought 2500 dollars."

If you do this and the "I only brought X" amount is a lowball you are the worst time-wasting person in the world and as a seller I hate you.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

1. Know what you want to pay.
2. Be willing to walk.

If you don't cover those two you're at a big disadvantage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Guinness posted:

If you do this and the "I only brought X" amount is a lowball you are the worst time-wasting person in the world and as a seller I hate you.

But if you do that and the 2500 is either reasonable, what the seller originally offered, or you discover horrible problems with the vehicle when on-site and set your price firm, the seller is an rear end in a top hat

Negotiation is an art that nobody seems to bother with anymore. Not an art for art's sake, but an art because both of you are trying to get something you both want, and that's how the human mind works.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The best deal is achieved when both parties walk away unhappy.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you don't lowball the seller of anything you're just setting yourself up to pay more. Obviously you should throw out a price within reason but most sellers on CL are so far out of touch that I always end up giving crazy numbers relative to their asking price. My advice is to just have the balls to do it in the first place. Every seller I've ever dealt with locks up and gets all flustered when you actually make an offer instead of just awkwardly standing there staring at the bike (in my case I've dealt with mainly motorcycles) waiting for them to hold your hand on the price. gently caress that - make an offer and if the counter-offer is not what you want immediately bail out of there. My time is worth more than just standing around for an hour staring at a bike that the seller won't budge on.

I think it's actually a huge advantage that people are such absolute pussies these days about anything. I'd be shocked if you can even get a buyer to make a phone call to you. Every ad I see only lists a phone number to text or an email with some really awkward and obviously BS reason that they can't take calls. This is always my clue that I can probably offer them whatever I want and see if they bite.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Every ad I see only lists a phone number to text or an email with some really awkward and obviously BS reason that they can't take calls. This is always my clue that I can probably offer them whatever I want and see if they bite.

I always list CL ads with my email only. It's not that I can't stand firm on my price, it's just that last time I listed a car with a phone number I got called almost daily by places trying to get me to let them sell it and take a cut. It's also because I work late and people calling at noon might be reasonable for most people but, unless I have plans that require me to be up already, I'm probably going to be really mad about whatever you have to say. After a few emails and I know somebody is serious I have no problem giving out my phone number to setup a meeting or talk more about the car.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've only sold one car on Craigslist (... I've only sold one car ever, to be fair) and I only listed my email address, because the ad had an Amazon or similar link to every single non-stock part on it (Mostly stuff like headlights, spark plugs in use, etc.), a literal six paragraph breakdown of everything I knew about it and anything significant that happened to it while I owned it. The only thing I can think of that anyone could have possibly asked me that I hadn't put in the ad was where I had gotten gas last.

And this was for a sub-$1k beater that needed $lol to get roadworthy and safe again after sitting for a year or... four maybe, at most, in the northeast.

I still wound up with multiple people sending me crazy emails who I'm glad never had my phone number, just a throwaway email address.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Not sure what I like the most, the blacked out tail lights, the 'Panty Droppers International' vinyls or the partial Malibu debadge leaving just 'BU'. This was taken just before he went through a 30kph school zone at 3:45pm at 60kph.

Epitome of douche.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I usually only list my e-mail because I tend to sell big batches of used parts and gently caress trying to keep track of all of the buyers without having e-mails to reference.

And if you haggle things that are $20 or lower I raise the price.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chickenbisket posted:

I always list CL ads with my email only. It's not that I can't stand firm on my price, it's just that last time I listed a car with a phone number I got called almost daily by places trying to get me to let them sell it and take a cut. It's also because I work late and people calling at noon might be reasonable for most people but, unless I have plans that require me to be up already, I'm probably going to be really mad about whatever you have to say. After a few emails and I know somebody is serious I have no problem giving out my phone number to setup a meeting or talk more about the car.

I get poo poo cell service at work, basically if I'm inside I don't receive calls. So it pisses me off when my neighbor says somebody was looking at my car during the day, called me, and gave up after going straight to voicemail. Would have been fine if she'd ever called again, but nothing so far.

This is why email is better for me, I can reply even when I'm sitting in a meeting. poo poo, I should just put my email address on the "For Sale" sign, maybe then people too scared to leave a voicemail will contact me.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Construction worker brotruck at my job... it's been in this, uh, state of disrepair for almost a week now.

You can see why he's overcompensating :toot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TKIY posted:

the partial Malibu debadge leaving just 'BU'.

In Chinese, "bu" translates to something between "no", "bad" and "not".

Seems appropriate.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

In Chinese, "bu" translates to something between "no", "bad" and "not".

Seems appropriate.

Maybe they're just fans of Tim Buckley.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODz2rUXpKWw

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So uh.....

Wow.

I don't really know what to say about this.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So uh.....

Wow.

...... I don't know how I feel about it.. I'm all conflicted. Its horrid, but horrid like IRON SKY.. well maybe not that bad/good.

is that the back of a fiero?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nthalp posted:

Of course it is.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nthalp posted:

...... I don't know how I feel about it.. I'm all conflicted. Its horrid, but horrid like IRON SKY.. well maybe not that bad/good.

Always. Always a Fiero.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

PCOS Bill posted:

Always. Always a Fiero.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post terrible car stuff in this thread: It's always a Fiero

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Always. Always a Fiero.

Sometimes it's a VW Beetle.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So uh.....

Wow.

The first curve he takes, he's going to roll like a Reliant Robin, and that windshield won't take that kind of stress.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Am I mistaken or does that take two people to steer? Er, "steer".

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw the ricer doriftu horror again yesterday and my arms were full. I can't even identify the horrid thing. All I an say is it has a body kit, some kind of metallic golden babyshit sprayjob, carbon fibre or "carbon fibre" bonnet, and the numberplate "UJELLY"
It also had a less extreme friend with the ziptie X stitching on the torn bumper etc.
the poo poo I see when I don't have the ability to take a photo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

schultzi posted:

Am I mistaken or does that take two people to steer? Er, "steer".

You are mistaken. it's basically 2 rods connected to each end of the handlebars, so you pull one back and push the other forward to turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

I left the window open on the clio by accident last night & it rained pretty heavily.
My car is once again a mobile swimming pool. :cripes:

At least I wasn't robbed & I'd already ripped out the spongy material under the carpets that held most of the water last time it flooded.