Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
So are they promoting people this year or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

So are they promoting people this year or what?

Yeah, the cable came out at this time last year. I'm starting to get nervous.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Zoots posted:

Yeah, the cable came out at this time last year. I'm starting to get nervous.

Yeah, I'd just like to know at this point.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

Yeah, I'd just like to know at this point.

Well, the wait is over...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Well, the wait is over...

:bang:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Really wasn't expecting it at all since that last EER really covered a slow year, sucks anyway. Still below the average Time in Service for last years promotees so there's that solace I guess.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Really wasn't expecting it at all since that last EER really covered a slow year, sucks anyway. Still below the average Time in Service for last years promotees so there's that solace I guess.

My name is on there - just on the try again next year. :smithicide:

javacup1107
Sep 29, 2013

The Mantis posted:

:ohdear:

<-- Addis bound

I also currently live in ETH, though not in Addis, if I can be of any help.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Just took the practice FSOT.

It estimated that I have a 97% chance of passing the real deal based on my Job Knowledge score, a greater than 99% chance of passing based on my English Expression score, and a 96% chance of passing altogether. I just wish all the stages were this predictable and simple.

Five days left.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Since I'll be going to one - what is generally some good consumables to buy? (aside from TP).

Also, I'm presuming I need to renew a costco membership (or bum one off for a month), to make my life easier in consumables purchasing?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Since I'll be going to one - what is generally some good consumables to buy? (aside from TP).

Also, I'm presuming I need to renew a costco membership (or bum one off for a month), to make my life easier in consumables purchasing?

Aside from paper products and a few bulky things like cereal, I've found normal grocery stores are better. Do I really need a 24 case of gallon pickles? A mile of aluminum foil? 20 gallons of body wash?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Aside from paper products and a few bulky things like cereal, I've found normal grocery stores are better. Do I really need a 24 case of gallon pickles? A mile of aluminum foil? 20 gallons of body wash?

Depends on where you're going and what your cooking/consumption priorities are. At the DC Costco the aluminum foil comes in a quantity that took me just about a year to finish. And for things like beer, wine, and canned/jarred goods, it's perfect.

(Pro tip - DC Costco sells alcohol. The membership fee is worth it for the discounts on booze alone.)

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Get nothing, or a very minimal amount of stuff you REALLY need. IIRC, you can always have consumables shipped to post after getting there (I'm pretty sure this isn't a my post specific thing).

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Skandiaavity posted:

You don't need a Costco membership to do a consumables shipment. As long as you present orders, the Crystal City Costco will let you buy whatever you want. Not sure if the others have the same policy though.

As for what to get, I bough a whole bunch of snacks. What little selection there is here is expensive, and it's been nice to have it available when I have a craving.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Continuous posted:

You don't need a Costco membership to do a consumables shipment. As long as you present orders, the Crystal City Costco will let you buy whatever you want. Not sure if the others have the same policy though.

As for what to get, I bough a whole bunch of snacks. What little selection there is here is expensive, and it's been nice to have it available when I have a craving.

Not entirely accurate. I showed them my orders and I went bonkers on the shopping, but they did tell me before I started that I would need a membership. I guess it depends on the Manager. Honestly I wasn't going to argue that much considering I plan on doing a supplemental consumables and the cost of a membership was peanuts compared to what I spent that day.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I'm pretty sure you need a membership to shop at Costco. They will wrap it up and hold it for the movers though. I didn't know this and trucked all my stuff home myself, but they offered it to me, I just wasn't prepared with details.

18 of 89 in my A-100 got tenure and I think I saw about half of those names on the promotion list. I wasn't on either.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Booze
Beer
That's it.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

SCRwM posted:

Booze
Beer
That's it.

Speaking of which... are you allowed to do your consumables shipment from 1 post to the next or does it have to be from the US? If I go to a consumables post next I'd totally want to send a bunch of Port and some regular wine too.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

1of7 posted:

Speaking of which... are you allowed to do your consumables shipment from 1 post to the next or does it have to be from the US? If I go to a consumables post next I'd totally want to send a bunch of Port and some regular wine too.

Throw it in your HHE, though you may want to pack it up yourself.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Nutrimentia posted:

I'm pretty sure you need a membership to shop at Costco. They will wrap it up and hold it for the movers though. I didn't know this and trucked all my stuff home myself, but they offered it to me, I just wasn't prepared with details.

18 of 89 in my A-100 got tenure and I think I saw about half of those names on the promotion list. I wasn't on either.

Sorry to hear that. Was this your first shot at tenure?

As far as the Costco membership question, I called ahead to ask, and then when I got there confirmed that I didn't need a membership. They also wrapped it up and held it there for 24 hours until the movers picked it up.

Homie S: Strange that they insisted on your needing a membership, because it was clear that they had done this an established policy when I did it in late 2013. I would have definitely signed up anyways, but it was a nice gesture that they let me shop there anyways.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Nutrimentia posted:

Don't sweat it too hard. Tenure at State is one of those things that doesn't make any sense in terms of who gets it and who doesn't. Provided you're not a total cock up, you'll get it, don't worry. Plus, in the meantime you're still eligible for overtime! :cool:

As for yours truly, finally made it over the hump into 03 territory.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
IIRC they made it clear in A-100 that tenure is typically a 4th year rite of passage with some people getting it earlier. It would have been nice to get it and promotion just for the gold star/ competitive satisfaction, but I've got 28 hours of overtime the last two weeks that is gold money in my pocket that i would have otherwise. :homebrew: I ain't worried and I ain't complaining.

solarjaye
May 7, 2014
Just saw this on the Yahoo groups:

State Dept Seeks Organizational Shrink to Assist in Foreign Service Selection Procedures
http://diplopundit.net/2014/10/01/state-dept-seeks-organizational-shrink-to-assist-in-foreign-service-selection-procedures

solarjaye fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 5, 2014

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Zoots posted:

Don't sweat it too hard. Tenure, promotion, assignments at State is one of those things that doesn't make any sense in terms of who gets it and who doesn't.

Fixed.

Congrats on your 3!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Depressingly true.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Admin to 5, like a boss. :colbert:

Glad I'm not worrying about tenure or competitive promotions (or bidding!) quite yet, it'll come soon enough.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Paper towels--American paper products are the best!
Kleenex
ziploc bags--how were you going to take all those costco snacks to work?
paper plates, plastic forks and spoons, paper napkins, plastic cups--party at Skandiaavity's

TP and Beer

If you are going to a post where you can order consumables (some post give you a shipment and an order) you should know that they can only ship you stuff in bulk. If you need a roll of aluminum foil they will sell you a case. I think we have about a three year supply bakers yeast and I am ignoring the fact that it expires after 1 year.

I would also try to find out from someone currently at post what is available.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Okay, so I take the FSOT tomorrow.

I feel like I should be more anxious.

Good luck to the October 2014 FSOT cohort!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

zzonkmiles posted:

Okay, so I take the FSOT tomorrow.

I feel like I should be more anxious.

Good luck to the October 2014 FSOT cohort!

2hours till go time. Stay safe FSOT ghost.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Leroy Diplowski posted:

2hours till go time. Stay safe FSOT ghost.

Thanks man.

Well, the big test is over. Obviously, it's too soon to celebrate, but I would be very, very surprised if I didn't pass that test.

There were a handful of questions in the Job Knowledge section where I had to narrow the choices down to two and guess as smartly as I could, and for the three questions I remember, I chose the correct answer each time.

The essay turned out to be one of the less daunting parts of the test. I actually think the English Expression part was the most annoying one for me to deal with this time.

So I'm feeling pretty good.

How'd it go for you Leroy Diplowski?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Took the test today. It was surprisingly easy except for the parts where I needed to express myself in writing, which has always been my weak point. Could have used an extra hour on that essay.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 8, 2014

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Boy, I'm glad I don't work in S/GWI... tomorrow's gonna suck for them.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Just remember to pronounce it "Jee-Wee." I said "gooey" on the phone once and got quite a harrumph.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for all the input. looks like i will order some necessities (TP/foil/wrap/bags/snacks), some uh, 'Soft Currency' (tobacco/alcohol) and save the rest for later.

and yes htey do allow ordering (from Rammstein) which is nice. And yeah they seemed to indicate it was bulk because Cinnamon Toast Crunch cost $60 and I'm fairly sure it's like 12 boxes of it.

edit: some very interesting russian teachers, i must say :haw:

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

the_chavi posted:

I don't work there but I know someone who does and this is really bumming me out.

Yeah, let's ruin the life of a guy who does not have to work for a living but chose to take a job making the world better for women, just because he stayed in the same city as a bunch of assholes who couldn't do their jobs a couple of years ago.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

What was up with the [no stem] questions in the English section?

Anyone get those? Were they a bug?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

What was up with the [no stem] questions in the English section?

Anyone get those? Were they a bug?

I got those too. I just assumed I was supposed to choose the best option for the underlined portion. I guess we'll see in three weeks if that was a bad decision.

Edit: looks like there is a thread about it on the Yahoo group too.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

I chose the best option too. Looks like these bugs are a global problem. I wonder ihow Pearson is going to handle the grading on the busted questions. I assume they'll have to just write off the bugged ones.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

I chose the best option too. Looks like these bugs are a global problem. I wonder ihow Pearson is going to handle the grading on the busted questions. I assume they'll have to just write off the bugged ones.

Man, I bet the people at State are mighty pissed at someone right now. I don't know who or which office is receiving their wrath, but I wouldn't want to be in their office fielding phone calls next week.

My guess is that State has the following options:

1. Omit all the {stem} questions from grading. But there were a good number of questions that fell into this category. Of course, this would make all the other questions in that section even more valuable and give candidates less margin for error in that section.

2. Do nothing, score the test normally, and deal with candidates who can legitimately claim they did not know what the questions were asking for. Most candidates probably interpreted {stem} as "choose the correct answer" because of their experience with the practice test and the tutorial that preceded the actual exam.

3. Allow October 2014 FSOT testers the opportunity to test again in February 2015 if they wish, but under the condition that their October 2014 scores would be voided. FSOT failers would be happy with this option, but this would put low passers (157/6, for example) in an interesting bind because nobody knows how much weight FSOT scores have with the QEP.

This transition from ACT to Pearson has been a very rocky one indeed, but problems like THIS are really discouraging and disappointing and should not be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone here recently done a tour in Moscow? Considering bidding on it, but anxious that it could be rougher than I anticipate. Happy to take the conversation to a more discrete channel. Thanks.