Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

WugLyfe posted:

Neat, grabbed one from Keh. I think I'm also going to pick up the Nikon version of my beloved Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, but I'm always in need of a good quality macro or portrait lens.

Anything with a wide (wider than f/2) aperture I should know about?

Thanks again for the replies :)

I love the 85mm f1.8g. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The older 1.8D is great too if you have an AF screw

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The 85mm f/1.4 is amazing if you like setting money on fire

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:stare: Jesus even the f/1.4D is over $1200

I think I've got that covered in the Rokinon, though. Any good macros/lenses with a sub-6" minimum focus distance?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I had the pleasure of using the G for about 2 weeks last year while borrowing it from a friend. I barely knew what I was doing with a camera back then and I was still able to take some shockingly good pictures.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SybilVimes posted:

APS-Crop was *always* just a stopgap solution until full 35mm frame sensors got cheap and good enough to replace them, that's how the camera mfrs have always looked at the situation.

10 years from now I'll be surprised if you can buy a new crop camera from either Nikon or Canon, and if you can, it'll only be to silence those that dumped a lot of cash into crop format lenses

Look how wrong this guy is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Canon sells $20,000 APS-C cinema cameras, I doubt those are going away.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
35mm film was nothing more than a stop gap to 4x5 film :colbert:

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Kenshin posted:

Well, yeah, I'm most likely going to buy a D7100 fairly soon. I was just disappointed that they haven't announced a D7200 with the new autofocus tech. :)

Believe me, if I could afford to drop the $3k on the D810 I would immediately, but as it is a hobby and I don't (even try to) make money off of it, I'm just not in a financial position to be doing so.

That said, the D750 is tempting even though it is well above my desired budget, because with that amazing dynamic range and high ISO performance I'd be able to get great shots at f/8 with my telephotos in fairly lovely light.

If you are not too invested in Nikon, you might want to check out the Pentax K3. It's sensor is seems to be on par with the 7100 but it has a ~25 shot RAW buffer, shoots 8fps on CH and has a fully weather sealed body. At least on paper it appears to be what people were hoping a D400 would be. Adorama has been selling K3 bundles with battery packs, plus one or two other cool accessories (lens, wireless card or flash) on Ebay at about a $1000 per bundle. It seems ideal for action type photography.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

iammeandsoareyou posted:

If you are not too invested in Nikon, you might want to check out the Pentax K3. It's sensor is seems to be on par with the 7100 but it has a ~25 shot RAW buffer, shoots 8fps on CH and has a fully weather sealed body. At least on paper it appears to be what people were hoping a D400 would be. Adorama has been selling K3 bundles with battery packs, plus one or two other cool accessories (lens, wireless card or flash) on Ebay at about a $1000 per bundle. It seems ideal for action type photography.
My main concern is availability of long telephotos (400mm and greater) as my primary photographic interest is birding. At the moment I am moderately invested into Nikon F-mount glass (I'm aware I could sell it all for pretty close to what I bought it for) and don't feel like I need to move away from Nikon, but we'll see.

That said, Sigma and Tamron make long telephotos for Pentax mounts so I wouldn't be screwed or anything. (I like my Sigma telephoto quite a lot)

Looks like the K3 is a similar price point to the D7100--I'd need to do a good analysis to see if it would be worth switching.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 1, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Musket posted:

35mm film was nothing more than a stop gap to 4x5 film :colbert:

Same except unironically.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I know, its been going on for a while. This is just the latest. Its super funny watching the camera version of climate change denialists go on internet screaming fits about how dynamic range doesn't matter and only bad photographers need better sensors etc.

I've probably mentioned this before, but camera forum pro-posters lose their poo poo over the dumbest thing. There was one where they were pissed about 'banding in the shadows' trying to recover 5 stops over or under in lightroom 4, therefore LR4 was a ripoff and moneygrab by Adobe. You might think, "hey idiot, try exposing correctly," and you'd be right. But there are also 'Facebook Pro' wedding photographers who bitch about extra workload from customers call them out when they 'accidentally' leave the camera on +/- 3 stops of exposure. Or shoot JPG's and gently caress up the white balance.

Kenshin posted:

The 85mm f/1.4 is amazing if you like setting money on fire

WugLyfe posted:

:stare: Jesus even the f/1.4D is over $1200

The AIS 85mm 1.4 is a gift from the gods and *only* costs around $600.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 2, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hey guys, looking to put together a Nikon kit for weddings this season. I'm set on the D750, but need help with lens selections. All primes, and preferably in the following focal lengths; 24/35/50/85. Total budget is around $4300. Coming from Canon, all the lens choices are a bit confusing when it comes to determining the best. The body is right at $2,300, so I have about $2 to put towards the lenses. There are a ton of choices in the $400-$600 range, hence my confusion. Thanks.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 2, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Nikon's lacking in cheap primes. There's no cheap modern 24mm or 35mm; there's the old 24mm f2.8D, and the newish 35mm f1.8G for $600 (the $200 version is for crop)

50mm f1.8D: $100
50mm 1.8G: $200
85mm f1.8G: $450

For just over your budget though you could probably pick up a 24-70 f2.8 and the 85mm f1.8g.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

there's the old 24mm f2.8D,
the newish 35mm f1.8G for $600

These are the 3 I'm looking at. Why did you bold the D in the old 24? The reviews look solid. Also, I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S for my 50, but what's with the weird name? That is the FX 50 1.4 right?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 2, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bottom Liner posted:

These are the 3 I'm looking at. Why did you bold the D in the old 24? The reviews look solid. Also, I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S for my 50, but what's with the weird name? That is the FX 50 1.4 right?

The 28 2.8D is the middlin tier one, the 24mm is pretty good, so I hear.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Sigmas next A prime is supposed to be a 24. So soon you'll be able to do 24/35/50/85 all Sigma, all f1.4.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If that was my lens budget, I'd go with the Sigma 35mm Art and Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and spend most of my time shooting with those, then pick up a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D to fill in the gaps.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup the 50 1.4g is a full frame 50. In fact all the nikon 50's are, whether it's 1.8d, 1.4d, 1.8g, 1.4g, 58mm, etc.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wild EEPROM posted:

Yup the 50 1.4g is a full frame 50. In fact all the nikon 50's are, whether it's 1.8d, 1.4d, 1.8g, 1.4g, 58mm, etc.

Will the AF-S 50mm 1.8 work on a d3100? I want a prime next but I thought* full frame lenses don't work on crop bodies?

*i might well be wrong, I'm new to dslrs.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Fraction posted:

Will the AF-S 50mm 1.8 work on a d3100? I want a prime next but I thought* full frame lenses don't work on crop bodies?

It will work fine. All AF-S lenses will work on all recent Nikon bodies.
Edit: except DX lenses won't cover FF35 sensors. Some FX cameras autodetect crop lenses and set themselves to DX mode when appropriate, though.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 2, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yes all lenses will fit on all bodies.

however, AFS-D and a few early G lenses will not have autofocus on your d3100 body. Those use the screw drive autofocus, while the newer G lenses use a built in motor.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Yes all lenses will fit on all bodies.

however, AFS-D and a few early G lenses will not have autofocus on your d3100 body. Those use the screw drive autofocus, while the newer G lenses use a built in motor.

AF-S models have some iteration of the "Silent Wave Motor" which doesn't depend on a screw drive. That (and it's predecessor, the AF-I internal motor) were introduced in some of the later higher-end D lenses, then were present in all of the G lenses except for a handful of very early budget models. Nikon's lens alphabet soup is fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Nikon's lacking in cheap primes. There's no cheap modern 24mm or 35mm; there's the old 24mm f2.8D, and the newish 35mm f1.8G for $600 (the $200 version is for crop)

50mm f1.8D: $100
50mm 1.8G: $200

For just over your budget though you could probably pick up a 24-70 f2.8 and the 85mm f1.8g.
The Tamron is a better buy if you want a fastish 24-70, I think.

The 50 and 85/1.8G are cheap/great, and if you feel the 35/1.8G is too much it's not too hard to find a used 35/2D. Or go all out and get a sigma 35/1.4

Fraction posted:

Any AF-S lens will autofocus on your body. Full frame lenses (aka Not DX) just project a larger image circle, they'll work just fine on any sensor.
If you don't have one yet I'd get a 35/1.8G DX before a 50.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 2, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey guys, looking to put together a Nikon kit for weddings this season. I'm set on the D750, but need help with lens selections. All primes, and preferably in the following focal lengths; 24/35/50/85. Total budget is around $4300. Coming from Canon, all the lens choices are a bit confusing when it comes to determining the best. The body is right at $2,300, so I have about $2 to put towards the lenses. There are a ton of choices in the $400-$600 range, hence my confusion. Thanks.

No second body? Shooting all primes with one body at a wedding can be a little rough, was this they way you worked with Canons? I have been using primes exclusively for a long time and I wouldn't consider that unless it was a free gig or an emergency.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

evil_bunnY posted:

Any AF-S lens will autofocus on your body. Full frame lenses (aka Not DX) just project a larger image circle, they'll work just fine on any sensor.
If you don't have one yet I'd get a 35/1.8G DX before a 50.

I've heard the 50mm recommended as a good starter macro lens. I just want something that'll let me get up close photos (preferably with bokeh); I think 35mm would force me too close to insects etc for macro as they'd just fly away before I got near enough? vOv

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

8th-snype posted:

No second body? Shooting all primes with one body at a wedding can be a little rough, was this they way you worked with Canons? I have been using primes exclusively for a long time and I wouldn't consider that unless it was a free gig or an emergency.

Oh no I have 5 Canon bodies and a host of lenses. This is just a foray into Nikon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh no I have 5 Canon bodies and a host of lenses. This is just a foray into Nikon.

Ok, your post made it sound like you were switching over completely. If I was me I would get an 85mm and either a 28mm or 35mm to start. Then fill in gaps as needed later since you already have another system. I shot my first wedding in years a couple of weeks ago and 80% of my shots were 27mm and 84mm but it depends on your style.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fraction posted:

I've heard the 50mm recommended as a good starter macro lens. I just want something that'll let me get up close photos (preferably with bokeh); I think 35mm would force me too close to insects etc for macro as they'd just fly away before I got near enough? vOv
It's the 60 that's macro. Or you can get a cheap used macro lens around 100mm, but make sure it has a motor if you want autofocus.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Tamron 90mm SP, KEH has got a BGN one for $175 right now, regular is ~$250. Tough to beat at any price.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Startyde posted:

Tamron 90mm SP, KEH has got a BGN one for $175 right now, regular is ~$250. Tough to beat at any price.

Ain't anymore :unsmigghh:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

8th-snype posted:

I've shot a wedding with only a 50mm on a d7000. It sucks, but it's possible. Granted it was a small wedding for a friend, a larger wedding would be nightmarish.

I have a 50mm 1.4D and 35mm 2D that I could be convinced to throw up on the sales forum :getin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok, bought the following;

D750
35 1.8g
50 1.8g
85 1.8g

And I preordered the excellent looking 20 1.8g. 1.8 is the sweet spot for me, using a 50 1.2 in the past was just too shallow, and I almost always stopped down to ~2 on the 1.4s as well, so these lenses look great for me. Excited to have actual good focusing and raw files I can push as much as I want.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I think 1.4 on a 35 can be useful, but 50 and up just aren't reliable enough.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

evil_bunnY posted:

It's the 60 that's macro. Or you can get a cheap used macro lens around 100mm, but make sure it has a motor if you want autofocus.

Macro thread recommended 50mm and a reversing ring? :shobon:

100mm prime would be super expensive though, wouldn't it? My budgets pretty small.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fraction posted:

100mm prime would be super expensive though, wouldn't it? My budgets pretty small.
Oh like that. Well. Try it first is all I'll say. And as pointed out earlier, tons of companies have made 90/100/105 macro primes over the years, and very few of them suck.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
58mm Noct 1.2 owns on crop bodies, its trash on fx:snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Fraction posted:

Ive done this, its fun. but remember your stuck at your min aperture, so for me its f/22 on my 50mm f1.4 G. get plenty of light. * i own a few other 50mms they just dont work with the reversal ring i have*

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 2, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Musket posted:

Ive done this, its fun. but remember your stuck at your min aperture, so for me its f/22 on my 50mm f2 AI. get plenty of light.

You could get an AIS or Series E 50mm, manual aperture ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok, bought the following;

D750
35 1.8g

Keep in mind the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G is a DX format lens, i.e. intended for crop format cameras. If you use it on full frame you'll get some amount of vignetting at almost any focus distance/aperture combination. It's not that bad, but it is there.