Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Who's the guy with the rabbit ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Compared to how they looked 10 years ago when taking over Dressrosa... man.

Amber Leads Pizza tastes so good though

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435699171"]
Who's the guy with the rabbit ears?

Lao-G. He hasn't aged well.

Left to right at the table: Baby 5, Buffalo, Lao-G, Pica, Diamante, Doffy, Trebol, Corazon, Gradius, Jola, Dellinger, Machvise, Seņor Pink.

Millions fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 2, 2014

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... all this talk of the young Doflamingo family, did people miss possibly the most brutal and depressing tragic backstory yet? You've got corporate malfeasance leading to a humanitarian disaster on an absurd scale, compounded by AIDS style misinformation and fear, and a refugee crisis resulting in the merciless slaughter of infected children... Jesus gently caress...

Of course, Doflamingo was undoubtedly involved. Or I'd assume so, as it wouldn't be out of character and would explain a good portion of Law's hate. But then again, Law never mentioned it anything like that in the present- just his revenge for Corazon, and Doflamingo seemed kind of extremely uncharacteristically unamused by Jola's ignorance/prejudice about the disease...

I really had very little interest in Law as a character, and I guess I still don't, but drat this is one hell of a flashback.

And the tragedy is balanced by the fun of seeing all the Doflamingo Family 10 years ago. That part is fun...

Balanced is the wrong word.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eiba posted:

And the tragedy is balanced by the fun of seeing all the Doflamingo Family 10 years ago. That part is fun...

Juxtaposed?

Seriously the entire story starting at Marigold pretty much "the elite are scum, viva the revolution!"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Eiba posted:

There is something extremely endearing about a bunch of villains sitting around unironically enjoying a giant clam pizza as a happy family. You can see why Bellamy wanted to be a part of that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
even odas most terrible villains have at least one redeeming quality.

except hody, i guess? hody was a terrible character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Spandam was a piece of poo poo through and through.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Spandam was a piece of poo poo through and through.

He had Funkfreed.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
GodDAMN! I knew this was going to be pretty brutal, but holy poo poo!
I also love how Doflamingo's crew acts a lot like the Strawhats. Working together, eating at the same table etc. It's a really cool parallel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"hey, I wonder where Oda could possibly go to make Law's backstory a step up"

"oh, a literal field of children's corpses, that'll do it"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Space-Bird posted:

There is something extremely endearing about a bunch of villains sitting around unironically enjoying a giant clam pizza as a happy family. You can see why Bellamy wanted to be a part of that.

'Mingo is undeniably a giant rear end in a top hat, but he takes care of his crew. Part of me is worried that he's running a long con on his family, using them as means to advance his own agenda. It's also possible that having no family spurred him to assemble one of his own.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

What about cat claws pirate guy who pretended to be a caring butler for that sick girl? He was a giant, heartless piece of poo poo.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Literally Kermit posted:

What about cat claws pirate guy who pretended to be a caring butler for that sick girl? He was a giant, heartless piece of poo poo.

Kuro had poop emblems on his suit jacket, which is funny.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Fortis posted:

Kuro had poop emblems on his suit jacket, which is funny.

Yes, hilarious, we all had a good laugh as betrayed the trust of a young lady then broke the expensive, thoughtful gift she bought him. :mad:

Introducing Pirate Michael Jackson to the story, I guess, is a positive thing Kuro did. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

I remember how terrified his crew was of Kuro, and now I wonder how quickly the New World would have jerked a knot in his rear end. :allears:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Literally Kermit posted:

Yes, hilarious, we all had a good laugh as betrayed the trust of a young lady then broke the expensive, thoughtful gift she bought him. :mad:

Introducing Pirate Michael Jackson to the story, I guess, is a positive thing Kuro did. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

I remember how terrified his crew was of Kuro, and now I wonder how quickly the New World would have jerked a knot in his rear end. :allears:

Kuro is indeed a piece of poo poo and I hate him, but if Spandam having Funkfreed counts as a redeeming trait then poopyjacket's gotta mean something. v:v:v

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm really hoping this whole immortality operation thing isn't foreshadowing because I honestly can't think of a single good natured character who'd want to be immortal. I can see it as something villains would target Law for but the idea of him performing it on Luffy or something leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think he'd want to have a boring life like that.

Also seeing the lead bullets as more of personal "gently caress you" than a genuine threat as Law can literally suck that poo poo out of his bloodstream if he feels like it. gently caress me though Doflamingo don't hold back when he's making a statement.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

So they made stuff out of uranium and then got radiation poisoning. Harsh

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

oddium posted:

Made some loving wicked absinthe glasses, though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

it's lead. that's what lead does. except the skin discoloration. all the things mentioned they did with it? lead was used for that before it was regulated.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
And of course the World Government knew and were getting a cut. No story is complete without a demonstration that they're even worse than you previously thought.

Cat Machine posted:

I'm not great with One Piece's timeline, but is there any chance Gold Roger could have had Amber Disease?

No. Roger was from Logue ( Rogue?) Town, East Blue. Plus this super hosed up poison, at least according to the transition I read, only became noticeable to the public and victims a little over 15 years ago. Which was after he was already dead.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They could've called the deadly heavy metal something other than lead, it kinda makes that whole country seem like a bunch of retards.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fabricated posted:

They could've called the deadly heavy metal something other than lead, it kinda makes that whole country seem like a bunch of retards.

why? the qualities of lead could have just not been known like they were in the united states. its a different world, why do they have to know about lead?

anyway, the flashback makes me sad because i like most of the older designs for doffy's crew more than the current ones :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did like half of them somehow grow like five times in size?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Size consistency was never Oda's strong point.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Pizza is a hell of a thing.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Did like half of them somehow grow like five times in size?
There's an island where wild dachshunds grew to be 100 feet long just because there's room for it.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Man whatever happened in the six years between hanging out and eating pizza and taking over Dressrosa really hosed up Senor Pink, too.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Big thing I noticed in the flashback: none of them have devil fruit powers, which they all did during the dressrosa take over 3-4 years in the future. The world noble treasure King Riku mentioned that doffy stole in that flashback: do you think it was a crate of devil fruits or something leading to the existence of devil fruit trees
s? I bet whatever was in that cache is why doffy has world noble power.

Edit: [/spoiler]Nvm I'm an idiot. You can see Trebol's robe is kind of gooey so he's got his power.[spoiler]

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 2, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sub Harrison posted:

Big thing I noticed in the flashback: none of them have devil fruit powers, which they all did during the dressrosa take over 3-4 years in the future. The world noble treasure King Riku mentioned that doffy stole in that flashback: do you think it was a crate of devil fruits or something leading to the existence of devil fruit trees

Er, how do you know they don't have powers? It's not like they were swimming. Just not using their powers isn't good evidence.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Sub Harrison posted:

Senor Pink straight up swam into panel through the street at one point!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Senor Pink straight up swam into panel through the street at one point!

Christ I read that too fast. Always drink coffee before reading apparently.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's actually kind of perfect. The Romans made their pipes out of lead 'cause it was cheap. We pumped lead into the atmosphere well into the 20th century 'cause it made gas cheaper. We knew that poo poo was bad, but economics overrode safety concerns.

Unless you're making a joke about how lead fucks with brain development, in which case carry on.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Pureauthor posted:

MOTHERFUCKER

That's why Law was pissed that Doflamino shot him with lead bullets!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God. loving. Dammit.

Oda is God.

Oh shut up. Lead sucks and getting shot with it sucks more. I'd be pretty pissed too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I don't get the deal with Dofy shooting Law with lead bullets either :confused:

I was under the impression that the people from Flevance used bullets made from amber lead so that any wounded survivors of the attacking countries would also succumb to the poisoning. If Law can remove the poison from all those children he can certainly remove amber lead poisoning from himself. I just wouldn't read too much into Dofy shooting Law because that seems like the easiest way to injure and subdue Law without overdoing it and outright killing him while still being dramatic given Luffy was watching.

Also, I doubt Corazon is going to die just yet from being stabbed like that. Law seems to hold him in high regard and I can't see Law suddenly respecting Cora that much just by stabbing him.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shoren posted:

I was under the impression that the people from Flevance used bullets made from amber lead so that any wounded survivors of the attacking countries would also succumb to the poisoning. If Law can remove the poison from all those children he can certainly remove amber lead poisoning from himself. I just wouldn't read too much into Dofy shooting Law because that seems like the easiest way to injure and subdue Law without overdoing it and outright killing him while still being dramatic given Luffy was watching.

Also, I doubt Corazon is going to die just yet from being stabbed like that. Law seems to hold him in high regard and I can't see Law suddenly respecting Cora that much just by stabbing him.

I said it earlier. It wasn't to actually kill him is was basically a personal "gently caress you" on a meta level. Doflamingo is a giant rear end in a top hat nothin' new.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shoren posted:

That isn't how lead poisoning works, at least not this amber lead poo poo. This was a slow poisoning that built up generation to generation, and by the time it hit the affected full force, the entire country was struck by the final stages all at once. Their poisoning was because they were surrounded and supersaturated by the stuff, a single bullet probably wouldn't have any short term effects on enemy soldiers.

That said, they probably made bullets out of amber lead anyway, because everything else was. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Literally Kermit posted:

That isn't how lead poisoning works, at least not this amber lead poo poo. This was a slow poisoning that built up generation to generation, and by the time it hit the affected full force, the entire country was struck by the final stages all at once. Their poisoning was because they were surrounded and supersaturated by the stuff, a single bullet probably wouldn't have any short term effects on enemy soldiers.

That said, they probably made bullets out of amber lead anyway, because everything else was. :v:

It was pretty much explicitly stated that they used amber lead weapons. When talking about how they fought back, Doffy's like 'ironically, they had plenty of lead available for weapons'

Whether or not the stuff going into your body would make you sicker than having it just around you doesn't matter, if it still made good bullets to kill people with.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It likely lead to soldiers killing their own because, "oh poo poo johnny got hit with amber lead, NOW HE IS INFECTIOUS!" panic and paranoia are hells of things.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

It likely lead to soldiers killing their own because, "oh poo poo johnny got hit with amber lead, NOW HE IS INFECTIOUS!" panic and paranoia are hells of things.
They seemed to not even understand that the "infection" was an environmental syndrome. They thought it was a disease. The outside world in general may still not know the dangers of amber lead- which probably isn't a big deal as it doesn't seem dangerous to anyone but the miners. But that means they're only irrationally afraid of the sick people, not the lead itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Eiba posted:

They seemed to not even understand that the "infection" was an environmental syndrome. They thought it was a disease. The outside world in general may still not know the dangers of amber lead- which probably isn't a big deal as it doesn't seem dangerous to anyone but the miners. But that means they're only irrationally afraid of the sick people, not the lead itself.

Which is why the phrase 'mad as a hatter' predates 'he's poisoning himself with loving mercury by making hats oh jesus'.

I'm sure someone said that at some point. I would have.

• Locked thread