Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Uh parks and rec hasn't been good for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

So you think Modern Family is better than Parks and Rec, Its Always Sunny, Louie, Veep, 30 Rock, or any other good comedy show in the last handful of years?

30 Rock won plenty, and it's definitely a better comedy than Louie (though i dunno if i'd say better show).

It's got as many great episodes as Parks and Veep for sure, and the best episodes are some of the best comedic TV writing I've ever seen. Like, Frasier/Cheers/I Love Lucy level quality.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

So you think Modern Family is better than Parks and Rec, Its Always Sunny, Louie, Veep, 30 Rock, or any other good comedy show in the last handful of years?

I didn't say it should win, but I think it's among the best in the last handful of years, yes. Parks and Rec and 30 Rock would be my favorite comedies of the last several years. And I certainly laugh harder when watching Modern Family than when watching Louie (which, while good, very often doesn't feel like a comedy). Sunny, you have to admit, is not for everyone. I've not watched Veep.

Look, I'm just saying it deserves to be nominated. Unlike Big Bang Theory.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

The first season of Modern Family is really, REALLY good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

My favorite episode of the entire show was recent. Just last year, in the hotel with Stephen Merchant. It's still incredibly good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

Sounds like Madam Secretary should become an American warlord

I'd definitely check out the show if it was called American Warlord.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Black-ish wins the "best moment of pilot season" award for the LA Tourism (When You're Black) pitch.

edit: I'm 100% on the side of the people who were calling Black-ish the best pilot of the season, because it definitely is. It's Cosby as poo poo, but where Cosby was set in a world where Black Culture and Culture were two very separate things, Black-ish is set in a world where Black Culture is very much the "in" culture, and having the show deal directly with that instead of kind of floating around it like a lot of shows about a particular culture do, or worse, just give in to the very base stereotypes (Goldbergs, while very funny, does exactly that). I think there are probably some very intelligent people working on the writing staff of Black-ish (I cannot stress enough how killer that first LA Tourism pitch video was, complete with a clip of OJ's white Bronco), and I'm more excited to see where this goes than any other show this season, especially because NBC seems to be doubling down on the whole "PEOPLE IN LOVE" bullshit (sorry Cristin Miloti, Casey Wilson and Ken Marino).

Edit2: also, beginning your show with quite possibly the best Kanye West song earns hella bonus points.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yoshifan823 posted:

I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Yeah I've been saying it should be The Dunphy Show with special guest stars for the last few years. They really run dry on storylines for the other two families at times, the only time I really care about what's going on outside the Dunphies is when they're all off doing something, like a vacation.

I don't agree with all the emmy nods it gets, it's probably the best mainstream sitcom but I wouldn't say all out best. Not enough to keep winning though. Ty Burrell deserves a nomination every year though, he's just brilliant.

e: I like Black-ish too, although I've only seen the first episode.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I am seriously skeptical of this. Every episode I've seen had me head scratching wondering what people liked about it. Maybe I should do an Occu style toxx and just blow through the whole thing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Modern family is ... medium good to pretty good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Modern Family is tedious stereotypes and middling dialogue pretending to be progressive. I gave the first season a shot then dropped it. I watched some of the fifth season, the only thing that had changed was the baby grew up. It's on the same level as Big Bang Theory, but BBT is better at the cookie-cutter sitcom format.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrawn527 posted:

Selfie may be one of the worst pilots I've ever seen. It got mildly better at the end, so I'm going to hope they just had to show how terrible she was so we can see her grow, and I'll try next week as well. But it's basically starting from a negative 4 stars from me. That scene where the Zoey Deschanel neighbors make her over while singing Lady Gaga to the tune of a ukulele was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Holy poo poo that was bad. If this didn't have Karen Gillan and John Cho, I would have already bailed. I'm just hoping against hope they get better material. Lots of good shows have bad pilots.

...right?

Yeah, those two are the only reason I'd even consider watching another episode. Your designation of the "Zooey Deschanel" neighbors is pretty apt too, because I'm pretty sure one of them was dressed exactly like her character on New Girl.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shageletic posted:

Emphatically, and Objectively, yes.

Especially Louie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

I'd tie it with 30 Rock since they're great for entirely different humor methods, but on the whole, yea. I like all those show but the "Modern Family Product" taken in entirety is pretty much top level comedy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yoshifan823 posted:

Edit2: also, beginning your show with quite possibly the best Kanye West song earns hella bonus points.

Fun fact: Kanye West did not write that song. And I don't mean that in a "rap songs don't count as writing songs because samples NERRR" way. I mean that in a "Kayne West literally bought/stole (it's not been confirmed one way or the other) the song--lyrics, beat, and everything--from a friend of his with the nom de plume of Rhymefest" way.

Still a fantastic song through.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

Your designation of the "Zooey Deschanel" neighbors is pretty apt too, because I'm pretty sure one of them was dressed exactly like her character on New Girl.

:thejoke:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even if you really really love Modern Family still I think "well-written" is the wrong term to use there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

But jokes are funny.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Whoever talked about about Only Connect upthread, I've started watching a couple of episodes on YouTube, and it's really good! I'm incredibly bad at the game itself, so I'm often impressed that the contestants actually discover the connections.
And it really is weird that this show has no studio audience. It feels like one of those "Big Bang Theory without the laugh track" YouTube videos in places.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

But jokes are funny.

Not on New Girl, so it was an appropriate reference.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

DominoDancing posted:

Whoever talked about about Only Connect upthread, I've started watching a couple of episodes on YouTube, and it's really good! I'm incredibly bad at the game itself, so I'm often impressed that the contestants actually discover the connections.
And it really is weird that this show has no studio audience. It feels like one of those "Big Bang Theory without the laugh track" YouTube videos in places.

I often suffer with "Guess the Connection" and "Fourth in the Sequence" but I can reliably get a decent amount of points in the "Wall" and "Missing Vowels" rounds. I really don't know how people can score so many points in those first two, they surely have to practise a particular way of thinking.

:colbert:No Audience Supremacy:colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

I often suffer with "Guess the Connection" and "Fourth in the Sequence" but I can reliably get a decent amount of points in the "Wall" and "Missing Vowels" rounds. I really don't know how people can score so many points in those first two, they surely have to practise a particular way of thinking.

I can't deal with Only Connect's lack of an audience.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't deal with Only Connect's lack of an audience.

Then you're missing out :smuggo:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Only Connect's moving from BBC4 to BBC2, I believe, so it'll probably get a studio audience then.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Junkenstein posted:

Only Connect's moving from BBC4 to BBC2, I believe, so it'll probably get a studio audience then.

They already moved and there's still no audience. It's now on right after University Challenge, creating the greatest hour of quizzing the world has ever seen.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lugaloco posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that the Missing Vowels round is the "easiest" for me as well. Then again, I'm perfectly content with blaming some of my failures on not being British, or at least American. How the gently caress am I supposed to know the name of a British Ice Skating commentator :argh:?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

Not on New Girl, so it was an appropriate reference.

You wouldn't understand a joke if it shat on your face. By the way, you have poo poo on your face. :smuggo:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Apparently renowned world diplomat Jeremy Clarkson managed to offend yet another entire country by running around Argentina with cars that had license plates making references to the Falkland Wars, is literally run off the country by stoning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Edit: local news adds that besides the one mentioned in the article, one of the other cars had a license plate that just happened to have the exact number of argentinean soldiers killed during the war.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Apparently renowned world diplomat Jeremy Clarkson managed to offend yet another entire country by running around Argentina with cars that had license plates making references to the Falkland Wars, is literally run off the country by stoning.

Edit: local news adds that besides the one mentioned in the article, one of the other cars had a license plate that just happened to have the exact number of argentinean soldiers killed during the war.

He was driving a german car in Argentina and they didn't just go to the nazi war criminals well? Or maybe those remarks are yet to be aired.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This may be infact be the single greatest and weirdest international incident since the War of Jerkin's ear.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Amazon is ordering Red Oaks and Hand of God to series. The Cosmopolitans got an order for more scripts, so it's not out of the game just yet. On the other hand, Hysteria and Really are dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wake me up when Bosch premiers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope this means what I think it means

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean I guess so, since it's been rumored since January.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Fun fact: Kanye West did not write that song. And I don't mean that in a "rap songs don't count as writing songs because samples NERRR" way. I mean that in a "Kayne West literally bought/stole (it's not been confirmed one way or the other) the song--lyrics, beat, and everything--from a friend of his with the nom de plume of Rhymefest" way.

Still a fantastic song through.

this is not true and yeezy doesnt need your help defaming his character.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

bobkatt013 posted:

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up, but Mark Frost tweeted the same thing, so there might actually be something happening.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I think that was the feature on the blu ray with the Palmer family.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
David Tennant was nearly unrecognizable in Gracepoint. Wow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How so? he looks exactly the same and his accent is weird. Like Carcetti from The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Gracepoint was beaten in the demo--albeit narrowly--by Bad Judge. Oof.

• Locked thread