Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Golems are traditionally magic immune. Good luck Jee Han

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's cool, Gnome's got rocks.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

pandaK posted:

Golems are traditionally magic immune. Good luck Jee Han
Unfortunately, I don't think that tradition applies here. It isn't part of the original golem mythologies, and its origin is DnD. Now, lots of things with DnD origins have been extensively copied, but it doesn't seem like Golem Magic Immunity has been assimilated into the Asian gaming tradition.

All that said, Jee Han having to fight magic immunity already sounds interesting. I hope that's the interpretation that's being run with here.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Twiddy posted:

Yeah, I believe one of the reasons that the character hasn't actually raised his wisdom is that it would make the story impossible to work. More specifically, the character's insight and decision making capabilities would quickly go through the roof, which eventually means he will always know and make the correct decision. And that's just boring. Also puts a lot more pressure on the writer.

Not necessarily, it would just mean a shift in the type of story that is told. Less bumbling, more competent.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Not necessarily, it would just mean a shift in the type of story that is told. Less bumbling, more competent.
Very true that that's not necessarily the case. But considering the benchmark he set for intelligence, I'm curious how much wisdom and intelligence someone like Batman might have, and therefore how close he is to becoming magic-wielding, reality-warping Batman.

But you're right, it might be more reasonable to shift the weight toward the stress on the writer. A believably wise character can only act as wise as the author can make him at that time. I can see that being a pain in the rear end.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Nahxela posted:

It's cool, Gnome's got a :black101: loving huge ogre club. :black101:

Gnome gonna team carry this battle.

Jee Han going to learn about weaknesses of type builds, I hope.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Twiddy posted:

Very true that that's not necessarily the case. But considering the benchmark he set for intelligence, I'm curious how much wisdom and intelligence someone like Batman might have, and therefore how close he is to becoming magic-wielding, reality-warping Batman.

But you're right, it might be more reasonable to shift the weight toward the stress on the writer. A believably wise character can only act as wise as the author can make him at that time. I can see that being a pain in the rear end.

Most stories eventually shift towards a competent character over a bumbling one. It just tends to happen as a character learns and grows. It's possible that he will forever be a bit of a gently caress up (and those characters have their charm as well), but him becoming batman probably isn't in the cards. Smarter and wiser sure, but not batman levels of intelligence.

In my opinion, what makes a character interesting is what their limitations are, not what their strengths are. This guy isn't a fighter, he's just grinding experience out devoid of much practical application. Furthermore he still views everything as a game, even though the world isn't.

I'm glad stuff is happening though. That was a grueling grind session.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm glad stuff is happening though. That was a grueling grind session.

A vast majority of the Korean commenters on Naver agree with you. The top voted comments for the past few weeks have all been flames about how the plot is nowhere to be found.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
You know, when Jee-Han does raise wisdom this is gonna happen:

*Jee-Han dumps some points into wisdom*

!

Jee-Han: I just realized something.

Jee-Han(looking into distance nobly): Only now that I have raised my wisdom do I realize that in the past I lacked the wisdom to do so.

*chime* Your Wisdom has increased by 1.

*Jee-Han stares at the floating message with an extremely annoyed expression on his face, and then sourly closes it*

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The pacing of this story would be a lot more bearable if all the grinding was summarized after a point. We all understand how it works now, so why not say [and then I grinded for six days] on one page, show us the results on the next, and get back to the plot on the third.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why are golems ever immune to magic? They are made by wizards, so why would a wizard want a servant they are completely helpless against?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because other wizards are equally helpless against it as well. And it follows all their orders by design.

(This of course didnt sit well with magic grogs, how dare ghere be something not weak to spells? so now they only have resistance and can also gently caress up any who melee it.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why are golems ever immune to magic? They are made by wizards, so why would a wizard want a servant they are completely helpless against?

This irony is actually the basis for most golem folklore actually, the hubris inherent in making a golem.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 57

Gnome is still the best.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
New chapter: http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/57/1/

Thought he used way to much mana, but noop.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was mighty satisfying to see him blast the gently caress out of those things. Grinding payin' off.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I totally didn't expect it to be as easy as it was for him to blast the gently caress out of those 7 golems all at once.

What the heck level is he now anyway? I thought it was mid-20's or so.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I would have preferred that to go a bit differently but a huge loving mana bomb was plenty impressive.

Next week seems like it'll be a touch more cerebral.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
:wtc: Jee-Han, that left a crater like an artillery shell. So now he has a gatling gun like mana arrow, can chuck mana spheres that are as strong as artillery strikes, can leap buildings in a single bound, can deflect bullets with his bare skin and has a side-kick who can slap giant monsters down with a stone club three times her own size. What a cheaty character.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ahaha that last page :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqjyBxv6O8U

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The best part of this chapter was Gnome getting praised and being all happy. :kimchi:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I was really disappointed and bored by that battle. He comes up against a group of opponents that (I think?) are above his level, and have resistances to all of his types of attacks.

So, he one-shots them.

I guess it's just not gonna be that kind of manga. The character interactions are much better, they should just focus more on that. I'm glad to see that Jee-Han has officially come up with a long-term goal for his story, curing the sickly girl. That... COULD give the story mroe focus, but I'll believe that when I see it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The joke is that he thought it would take his strongest attack, so he did his strongest attack and holy poo poo. The joys of min-maxing.

I mean 1000 MP for one attack is just crazy, he's not going to be spamming that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
He can use upwards of 2,000 MP at once too. I wonder how big the mana bomb would be if he did that?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

NowonSA posted:

He can use upwards of 2,000 MP at once too. I wonder how big the mana bomb would be if he did that?

Depends on what kind of scale the damage:mana progression has.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

The joke is that he thought it would take his strongest attack, so he did his strongest attack and holy poo poo. The joys of min-maxing.

I mean 1000 MP for one attack is just crazy, he's not going to be spamming that.

Doesn't he regen his whole mana bar in some insanely fast amount of time?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was because he got a level up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

That was because he got a level up.

Sorry, I meant just in general, I thought his base mana regen allowed him to regen it really fast in combat. I don't remember what the numbers were, though.

I might just be confusing that with how his regen is powerful enough to let him run all his actives (troll flesh, bronze skin etc) at the same time. So maybe he could regen his manapool really fast during combat after one of those orbital strikes, but he'd have to turn off his protection skills to do it, making himself vulnerable? Could be interesting.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It takes him like half an hour to regen it in combat I'm pretty sure. But it doesn't matter because even if he dropped his artillery on something he'd still have a good chunk of mana left and everything else he can spam as much as he wants while still regenerating a decent chunk of mana.

So unless something takes a few artillery strikes to kill, he's probably fine on mana right now.

Also, an interesting point to consider, is that Jee Han's strength is actually kind of on par with Sun Il's right now. His Dexterity is way lower, but his raw strength with his buffs is in a similar ballpark. Such a cheat character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Sorry, I meant just in general, I thought his base mana regen allowed him to regen it really fast in combat. I don't remember what the numbers were, though.

I might just be confusing that with how his regen is powerful enough to let him run all his actives (troll flesh, bronze skin etc) at the same time. So maybe he could regen his manapool really fast during combat after one of those orbital strikes, but he'd have to turn off his protection skills to do it, making himself vulnerable? Could be interesting.

His new buffs aren't sustained. They have a specific duration, so having them up only has an initial mana cost.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So.....I blew through all 57 that were in English this past Sunday and am wondering what the update schedule is for the English translated version, because its definitely an entertaining read.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Usually the fan translators have a translated copy up within a day of the Korean webcomic being updated on Naver.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

John_A_Tallon posted:

Usually the fan translators have a translated copy up within a day of the Korean webcomic being updated on Naver.

And thats usually on thursday the last couple of months.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This series is perfect, I wish I could transport myself a year into the future because I come back to this thread every couple of months to read the 8-10 chapters that have come out and go back to being frustrated that there isn't more. :negative:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The Gamer 58 http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/58/?all

thanks for the long dumb explanation to explicitly foreshadow something, welp see you next week

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Ahahahaha that first comment, "Maybe in 2 issues we'll get to the fight."

Blue balls: The manwha

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Man I can't wait for the next chapter where Jee Han focuses all his energy on his foot and punts the stationary enemy through the unbreakable illusion barrier. :dance:

Spoiled because I guess it contains elements of this chapter.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Use observe drat it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Climb a golem and set off a mana nuke on its head. Can't dodge if you can't run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nahxela posted:

Climb a golem and set off a mana nuke on its head. Can't dodge if you can't run!

This is probably gonna happen and it's going to be worth the wait to see.