Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I rarely think Survivor is more interesting pre-merge than post. Too many people to care about all at once, so only a few people stand out for now while most make you think "Who is that person again?" Once you get down to the merge, personalities (hopefully) begin to show up more.

I also cannot believe Val thought it was a good move to "make big moves" in EPISODE TWO and claim she had two goddamn idols. But this is also a woman who said she would be most like Monica Cullpepper, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Context posted:

I'm all for hating on John Rocker, but I don't think he actually believed she had two idols. It's just hard to protect someone who is blatantly (and badly) lying to you like that.

I dunno - when he showed his vote he said something like "I TOLD you to play your idols"

nerox
May 20, 2001

Midnightghoul posted:

Night of 1000 Idols

Survivor twist idea: give everyone an idol on day one. If everyone that gets votes has played an idol for that vote, all players that did not play an idol have to draw rocks.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

nerox posted:

Survivor twist idea: give everyone an idol on day one. If everyone that gets votes has played an idol for that vote, all players that did not play an idol have to draw rocks.

That was one of the ideas on the RHAP Think Tank 2 a few weeks back (along with making hidden idols have multiple parts that needed to be found and replacing hidden idols with an immunity password)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

John Rocker probably has never seen the show so he doesn't grasp the idea that having two idols on episode 2 is unlikely

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

blue squares posted:

John Rocker probably has never seen the show so he doesn't grasp the idea that having two idols on episode 2 is unlikely

He got sequestered in a hotel room and given the DVDs for one or two full seasons of Survivor just before it started. He should know better.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaisyDanger posted:

I rarely think Survivor is more interesting pre-merge than post. Too many people to care about all at once, so only a few people stand out for now while most make you think "Who is that person again?" Once you get down to the merge, personalities (hopefully) begin to show up more.

I also cannot believe Val thought it was a good move to "make big moves" in EPISODE TWO and claim she had two goddamn idols. But this is also a woman who said she would be most like Monica Cullpepper, so

I don't mind getting to know the players over the first few weeks of the season, it's better than having a bunch of returning players we already know and who already know or know about each other.

Something I found interesting this ep was Probst's reaction to the request to trade a bag of beans for a flint. He was such a hardass to the team making the offer as if they were doing something wrong, and cut it down when it could have become an interesting negotiation between the tribes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pinterest Mom posted:

He got sequestered in a hotel room and given the DVDs for one or two full seasons of Survivor just before it started. He should know better.

I doubt that teaches you a whole lot since Val listed Monica Culpepper as the player she wants to be like. It was a year or two ago when half the girls listed Brenda as their inspiration when she got a silent edit but looked good doing it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bigass Moth posted:

I doubt that teaches you a whole lot since Val listed Monica Culpepper as the player she wants to be like. It was a year or two ago when half the girls listed Brenda as their inspiration when she got a silent edit but looked good doing it.

I hated Brenda in Nicaragua, but I'll still defend her in Caramoan, especially if people are talking about her as an "inspiration." Her game was the polar opposite of what it had been before, and she showed a lot of humility and strength of character.

Also, her FTC question was hilarious :v: Slightly petty, but very good TV, and a nice microcosm of why Dawn lost.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

This woman is a Valkyrie, and he's already island-hot.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hated Brenda in Nicaragua, but I'll still defend her in Caramoan, especially if people are talking about her as an "inspiration." Her game was the polar opposite of what it had been before, and she showed a lot of humility and strength of character.

You have a very warped understanding of 'humility and strength of character' if you think any of those things existed in 'Pull out your teeth!' lady from Caramoan.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
This woman, on the other hand:

Everytime I hear her speak, I'm pretty sure she's the reincarnation of Hooks from Police Academy.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Something I found interesting this ep was Probst's reaction to the request to trade a bag of beans for a flint. He was such a hardass to the team making the offer as if they were doing something wrong, and cut it down when it could have become an interesting negotiation between the tribes.

I thought Jeff seemed like he had some pent up frustration at the the diminishing survival aspect of the show over the years. He wants the teams to suffer and to earn it.

He's been doing this how many years? And seen all kinds of insanity that people have had to push through. Some kid who's been on the show a total of 5 days trying to be clever would tick me off too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Lord Bude posted:

You have a very warped understanding of 'humility and strength of character' if you think any of those things existed in 'Pull out your teeth!' lady from Caramoan.

She helped her in the first place. She hung out with the minority alliance because they had more in common as humans. Everybody actually really liked her, and I'm sorry her lack of airtime hid that.

Like I said, the FTC question was a bit petty, but it made a very strong juxtaposition between how she and Dawn tested people out there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

the FTC question was a bit petty
But also glorious. :haw:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

She helped her in the first place. She hung out with the minority alliance because they had more in common as humans. Everybody actually really liked her, and I'm sorry her lack of airtime hid that.

Like I said, the FTC question was a bit petty, but it made a very strong juxtaposition between how she and Dawn tested people out there.

It was more than a bit petty. It was 'I'm a disgusting person who doesn't understand that this is game where people make moves to betray each other, and it's nothing personal; so I'm going to humiliate a middle aged woman on national television and carry a giant grudge around'. It was the epitome of lovely sportsmanship and being a bad loser. cf: Andrea that season getting the boot under much the same circumstances and not being a giant baby about it; Spencer's relationship to Tony last season.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man I hope Rocker makes it far. He's the kinda rear end in a top hat I enjoy watching and rooting for. Kenny loving Powers!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I want rocker to win it all

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Lord Bude posted:

It was more than a bit petty. It was 'I'm a disgusting person who doesn't understand that this is game where people make moves to betray each other, and it's nothing personal;
Of course it's personal. You're just saying bullshit that you think should be true, but that doesn't make it reality.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

They kind of were doing something wrong and Probst was totally right to be a dick to them. They just won fishing gear and decided they would be willing to give up their beans for another flint... They weren't really giving anything up with that trade!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man I hope Rocker makes it far. He's the kinda rear end in a top hat I enjoy watching and rooting for. Kenny loving Powers!

JakeP posted:

I want rocker to win it all

Yeah, I totally agree with both of you. He's the most interesting and entertaining person so far this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Of course it's personal. You're just saying bullshit that you think should be true, but that doesn't make it reality.

Yeah, these games are SOCIAL games. There's a very real personal aspect to them. Players or viewers who don't understand that to me are no better than players or viewers who don't appreciate the strategic side of it. The game isn't one or the other, its both. The best players in the history of Big Brother or Survivor aren't people who were just mad geniuses or game bots, they're also people with great social skills and the ability to burn someone without them feeling completely betrayed.

Bad players are those who go too deep into the emotional and personal side things and then when it comes time to make a move they pull the "just a game" card. That's how you burn people. That's what produces bitter jurors.

I'm not really a Brenda fan, mind you. She was a bitch in her first season and invisible on the show in the second except for her jury question, which WAS pretty petty. But I do agree that it got to the heart of Dawn's flaws as a player. You can't push on emotions and personal bonds and then try to play the "just a game" card at the end. Not unless you have way, way more tact than Dawn did.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They kind of were doing something wrong and Probst was totally right to be a dick to them. They just won fishing gear and decided they would be willing to give up their beans for another flint... They weren't really giving anything up with that trade!

Yeah, Probst owned them with that breakdown. "You didn't come in her and propose a deal, you waited until you won and then tried to deal." They were trying to make it seem like they were dealing from a position of strength and make a lowball offer but Probst saw through it and plainly said that he doesn't need anything, they are the ones who need this deal. I loved it. I love when Probst plays hardball with the Survivors, especially when they think they're smarter than they are. And I don't know, something about this crew really gives off a "I think I'm awesome at this" vibe to me, especially from the Boston and Broadway couples.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 3, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SlipkPIe posted:

Eh, Survivor usually takes a while to get interesting

In the meantime, enjoy everyone making GBS threads on John Rocker

I usually don't even watch for another few weeks (mainly because until recently CBS changed the name every year so my DVR didn't record it but whatever).

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I cringed when they "looked for" the flint by flinging all kinds of dirt and leaves all over the place. If someone just dropped it, it'll be on top. I imagine from now in tribes may take to tying something big and colorful to the flint so they don't lose it.

Also Val two idols, big moves? Come on.

I kinda got the feeling Rocker was just pretending to believe her to cover up the fact that he found an idol himself, and thus would know she's lying. Rocker got a bit boned on his deal with Jeremy just because Val is aggressively bad at the game.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Rocker said, to the camera and no else, that she should have played her idols. He's just dumb, ok?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

The Lord Bude posted:

It was more than a bit petty. It was 'I'm a disgusting person who doesn't understand that this is game where people make moves to betray each other, and it's nothing personal; so I'm going to humiliate a middle aged woman on national television and carry a giant grudge around'.

I'm with you on the carrying a grudge around part, but nothing can convince me there was anything wrong with what she had Dawn do at FTC. Yeah Dawn felt humiliated, but she shouldn't have. I don't think there was anything humiliating about it at all.

Do we know how everyone voted for the tie vote? We only noticed them showing the re-votes but those aren't the ones I wanted to see.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Milovan Drecun posted:

Rocker said, to the camera and no else, that she should have played her idols. He's just dumb, ok?

I took that as sarcasm

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I didn't. I think Rocker is a goddamn brick and it's hilarious.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I'm with you on the carrying a grudge around part, but nothing can convince me there was anything wrong with what she had Dawn do at FTC. Yeah Dawn felt humiliated, but she shouldn't have. I don't think there was anything humiliating about it at all.

Do we know how everyone voted for the tie vote? We only noticed them showing the re-votes but those aren't the ones I wanted to see.

I actually didn't take much issue with Brenda calling Dawn out and I liked Brenda a lot during her time on Caramoan, but people are humiliated by all sorts of different poo poo. Some people will fart around anyone with no questions asked while others continue to hold their farts in around their husband/wife. And for an analogy that isn't about farts Ressel took no issue with his missing tooth, but it was a big deal to Dawn. Different strokes and all.

And I'm curious about the initial votes, too. I've always been bothered that they show the tie-breaker votes instead of the initial votes.

Edit: vvv Thanks!

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Dawn having a gigantic breakdown over the teeth thing in front of Brenda was the whole reason that they were close in the first place, so Brenda had to know that it was an extremely vulnerable point of weakness for Dawn. You can argue Dawn shouldn't have been humiliated by it, but that doesn't change the fact that Brenda knew that making Dawn take out her teeth would be incredibly painful and difficult for her, and she still chose to shame Dawn anyways.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Looking on Wikipedia, it says that Val/John voted for Baylor and Wes/Vaylor voted for Val. Jaclyn must've voted for Baylor too, so one of Josh/Dale/Alec was the fourth vote for Baylor (most likely Dale or Alec), and the other two voted for Val.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sportsgenius86 posted:

I took that as sarcasm

No, Rocker definitely thought she had idols.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone who says the first few weeks of Survivor are always boring needs to re-watch last season, where the majority alliance on the Brains tribe changed three times and included an idol flushing and the rice incident.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Last season was like a weird anomaly of crazy rear end poo poo happening really early on. J'Tia was a goldmine.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Milovan Drecun posted:

Pretty obvious that he has only watched the last 2 seasons of Survivor most likely and the cop having a couple idols at the end of the game made Rocker think it was believable that someone managed to find 2 idols right away.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty obvious that he has only watched the last 2 seasons of Survivor most likely and the cop having a couple idols at the end of the game made Rocker think it was believable that someone managed to find 2 idols right away.

Per her interview on RHAP she told people she was a realtor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

rafington posted:

Dawn having a gigantic breakdown over the teeth thing in front of Brenda was the whole reason that they were close in the first place, so Brenda had to know that it was an extremely vulnerable point of weakness for Dawn. You can argue Dawn shouldn't have been humiliated by it, but that doesn't change the fact that Brenda knew that making Dawn take out her teeth would be incredibly painful and difficult for her, and she still chose to shame Dawn anyways.

Sure, but Dawn used that vulnerability to require a favor/build a relationship with a friend/ally she backstabbed in quite cold blood. You can sit there and argue game this, real life that, but that's the kind of choice you have to make to play in the first place, and if Dawn wasn't cool with her unadulterated face going on national television, she shouldn't have signed up.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Sure, but Dawn used that vulnerability to require a favor/build a relationship with a friend/ally she backstabbed in quite cold blood. You can sit there and argue game this, real life that, but that's the kind of choice you have to make to play in the first place, and if Dawn wasn't cool with her unadulterated face going on national television, she shouldn't have signed up.

I'm not arguing that Dawn shouldn't have expected the possibility of being attacked on TV, because that's a given with Survivor, I'm just responding to the person that said that there wasn't anything wrong with what Brenda did, because in my mind it was an extremely lovely and unnecessary attack.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

rafington posted:

I'm not arguing that Dawn shouldn't have expected the possibility of being attacked on TV, because that's a given with Survivor, I'm just responding to the person that said that there wasn't anything wrong with what Brenda did, because in my mind it was an extremely lovely and unnecessary attack.

That's basically what final tribal is for.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Piell posted:

That's basically what final tribal is for.

I thought final tribal was to help you make up your mind about your vote.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

rafington posted:

I thought final tribal was to help you make up your mind about your vote.

Nah final tribal is about reminding all of the viewers who had forgotten you about how glad they are you were voted off because you're such a piece of bitter poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Hahaha can't believe nobody mentioned the highlight of the episode:

Andrew: Let's go Josh!
Jon: Uhh, Reed's our on team, dude.

Doesn't seem like the strongest cast, but so far I like Dale, Josh, and Wes (for some reason). Was liking Baylor until this episode. Reed could be cool but he hasn't had much screen time.

Go Survivor!

• Locked thread