Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brannock posted:

Stay calm. Worry not. This trifle will fizzle out. Proceed about your daily lives. Forget the enormous humanitarian tragedy occurring in Western Africa right now that Western leaders are utterly failing to respond to in a timely manner or sufficient means -- I beseech you, worry not.

There is a giant gap between dismissing overblown fears of a large outbreak here and saying that the crisis in West Africa should be ignored. Before two days ago this entire thread consisted solely of people calling for more to be done in West Africa without the threat of an outbreak in America being involved in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's totally understandable why he would try and get out, and also why the govt involved does not want repeat occurrences.

A threat of being sued won't dissuade anyone whose other choice is to die horribly from ebola. It's a petty way of punishing the guy for trying to save his own life.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

It is hard to contain a disease when people will lie to you about being exposed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Ardlen posted:

It is hard to contain a disease when people will lie to you about being exposed.

Don't let people leave/quarantine them on arrival.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xandu posted:

We're not to that point yet, but if a few outbreaks occur we probably will be.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ardlen posted:

Yeah but it's pretty much an inevitability. People will lie to protect their lives, and for many people "rational" goes sailing right out the window when under the threat of death. I don't think suing or threats of suing will actually do any good, I think all we can do is try to compensate for those who do lie to get into the country and try to keep exposure to a minimum.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Who's talking about suing people? The obvious threat would be jail (just make people fill out a customs form on arrival asking if they've come into contact with infected people/been sick/etc).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

Some countries are instituting this practice, namely Russia and some yet-announced South Asian nations. However, I'm pretty certain that CDC's plan is for voluntary admission to hospital- that is, to do what Duncan did and present yourself to any hospital for treatment.

In other news, looks like the family is quarantined in a non-disinfected household and no local companies are willing to come in and disinfect.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/us/dallas-ebola-case-thomas-duncan-contacts.html?_r=1&referrer=

E:

Xandu posted:

Who's talking about suing people? The obvious threat would be jail (just make people fill out a customs form on arrival asking if they've come into contact with infected people/been sick/etc).

Well, its an issue of language that you'd use. The healthcare systems in WAIT nations have collapsed completely. You hope you have only come into contact with a complicated pregnancy; you don't know.

If you start asking, you'll get people lying. You'll need to do exit screening and education for everyone returning from a WAIT nation. If you don't do it properly, you risk having an outbreak go unreported until its already had a few cycles of exponential spread.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 2, 2014

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Ardlen posted:

It might be reasonable that he might not have suspected he had been exposed to Ebola

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/preeclampsia/basics/symptoms/con-20031644

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/preterm-labor/basics/symptoms/con-200353595w

http://womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-are-pregnant/pregnancy-complications.html

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Photograph of crew cleaning up the Dallas cases' vomit from outside his apartment today, which had been left there since Sunday:

CDC: "The company that is cleaning right now are a company that have worked with the health department many times before. They have worked with us in cleaning up scenes with HIV, airborne disease and things like that. They are properly certified and licensed to do all of these things, and we've worked with them a number of times in the past."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Eh

quote:

a pattern often seen here in Monrovia, the Liberian capital, the family of the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, took her by taxi to a hospital with Mr. Duncan’s help on Sept. 15 after failing to get an ambulance, said her parents, Emmanuel and Amie Williams. She was convulsing and seven months pregnant, they said.

Turned away from a hospital for lack of space in its Ebola treatment ward, the family said it took Ms. Williams back home in the evening, and that she died hours later, around 3 a.m.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Photograph of crew cleaning up the Dallas cases' vomit from outside his apartment today, which had been left there since Sunday:

CDC: "The company that is cleaning right now are a company that have worked with the health department many times before. They have worked with us in cleaning up scenes with HIV, airborne disease and things like that. They are properly certified and licensed to do all of these things, and we've worked with them a number of times in the past."

...they're not even wearing gloves

:lol:

Don't trust anything the CDC says at this point

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

How long do you think Ebola survives outside the body?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EugeneJ posted:

While it might interfere with the dopamine rush that comes from panicking over our impending judgment at the hands of the Ebola virus, wouldn't the virus have been destroyed in short order after laying in the sunlight for a while?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Pregnant women were also being turned away in general

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/ebola-outbreak-pregnant-women_n_5901816.html

quote:

In an effort to keep the virus contained, Fatumata Fofana was denied access to a hospital in July because she didn't have Ebola.

Amid being transferred to two different clinics, the pregnant Liberian woman developed medical complications while still in labor. Fofana and her baby died.

Unfortunately, Fofana's story is not uncommon in Liberia's capital city of Monrovia. Pregnant women without the virus are suffering the consequences of the region's increasingly detrimental Ebola outbreak, as the nation's overwhelmed health care system continues to buckle, The Washington Post reported. When compared to the summer months of 2013, Liberia experienced a 14 percent drop (52 percent to 38 percent) in infants delivered by a skilled birth attendant, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Might be a he said she said about the reason why she was turned away. I feel like everyone's just trying to play hot potato about who's responsible for this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boarder Patrol is already asking questions about Ebola at the border. If we require 21 day quarantines for people leaving Ebola infected areas you can pretty much give up on US healthcare workers helping in West Africa since 6 weeks on, 4 weeks quarantine, 2 weeks off, 6 weeks on just isn't the same.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Guardian:

quote:

Towels and sweat-ridden bedclothes remained for two days in the Dallas apartment where an undiagnosed Ebola sufferer was staying because health officials in Texas struggled to find a waste management company willing to accept them.

A company with experience of dealing with medical waste was finally due to clean the apartment on Thursday afternoon, but only after the patient’s girlfriend told CNN that the materials had not been disposed of.

Health officials obtained an order to force the residents of the apartment to stay at home, after admitting they had not complied with a voluntary request to do so on Wednesday. The order applies to four “close” family members, including a woman believed to be the girlfriend of the patient, Thomas Duncan, as well as her child and two nephews in their 20s. Local police have been stationed at the apartment complex to ensure compliance.
edit:

quote:

Judge Clay Jenkins, Dallas county’s emergency management director, said officials had now found a suitable contractor to clean the home where Duncan was staying. “We have some hygiene issues that we are addressing in that apartment,” Jenkins said. He added that the contractors would be at the apartment “as soon as possible”.

Jenkins said the sheets and towels, along with Duncan’s belongings, were in sealed plastic bags.

“The house conditions need to be improved,” Dr David Lakey, the Texas health commissioner, acknowledged during a separate conference call with reporters on Thursday.

Lakey said local and county officials had experienced difficulties in securing a contractor to remove the waste from the apartment and clean it. “There has been a little bit of hesitancy for entities to want to do that,” Lakey said.

He added on Twitter later that his agency was arranging for food and groceries to be delivered.

On Thursday. Gee, I wonder why they tried to leave the house on Wednesday? Could it be that it was full of dangerous medical waste and they were running low on (say) paper towels and toilet paper?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Any Ebola in that vomit was dead for sure a half-hour after it hit the pavement.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with waste disposal worries me. So if the poo poo actually does hit the fan and suddenly there are 10 cases, or 1000, how are we going to deal with logistics when nobody wants anything to do with Ebola issues?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

TOOT BOOT posted:

The problem with waste disposal worries me. So if the poo poo actually does hit the fan and suddenly there are 10 cases, or 1000, how are we going to deal with logistics when nobody wants anything to do with Ebola issues?

Burn it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

throw it on in New Jersey beach

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
So who wants to bet that the nurse who turned him away doesn't know where Liberia is because they went to school in Texas.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

NathanScottPhillips posted:

So who wants to bet that the nurse who turned him away doesn't know where Liberia is because they went to school in Texas.

:rolleyes:

What percentage of Americans could point out on a map where Liberia is regardless? Texas quality of education is generally ranked above-average.

http://www.msubillings.edu/caer/quality_rankings_of_education_in.htm

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Letting it dry in the sun will apparently manage most of the problems.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Any Ebola in that vomit was dead for sure a half-hour after it hit the pavement.

Nope

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

quote:

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

What are the chances the disease finds a reservoir in animals in the US? Say... bats in Texas?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

What about in Dallas late summer/early fall sunlight?

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

The low Ph of vomit combined with the direct UV exposure make this puddle of puke very unlikely to be infectious

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

What about in Dallas late summer/early fall sunlight?

I'd rather them do it properly than a what if game.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm not a doctor but wouldn't puke being mostly made up of concentrated acid sitting in the sun kill the virus faster than a couple days?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3mFdVYDu4

That's...not...correct. I can only imagine how things are in the Dallas EOC.

E:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not a doctor but wouldn't puke being mostly made up of concentrated acid sitting in the sun kill the virus faster than a couple days?

Is that a risk you're willing to accept when the resources are available to do things properly and according t7o precise CDC procedure?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

UV rays kill it very quickly. A pile of dried out vomit isn't going to have any live virus.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What're the chances a dog ate some of that vomit? Apparently they can carry it, though it looks like there are no confirmed cases linked to dog exposure.

I've never met a dog that didn't just adore vomit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

UV rays kill it very quickly. A pile of dried out vomit isn't going to have any live virus.

What about a pile of vomit under a car? In a sewer grate? Why chance anything when we have the resources to follow appropriate procedure?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My Imaginary GF posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3mFdVYDu4

That's...not...correct. I can only imagine how things are in the Dallas EOC.

E:

Is that a risk you're willing to accept when the resources are available to do things properly and according t7o precise CDC procedure?

Depends, do they have health insurance?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My Imaginary GF posted:

What about a pile of vomit under a car? In a sewer grate? Why chance anything when we have the resources to follow appropriate procedure?

The procedure that they followed was fine for the situation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

The procedure that they followed was fine for the situation.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

How would you describe the situation to which they responded? There should have been environmental decontamination as soon as EVD was supected; a contaminated scene was left untreated for several days.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My Imaginary GF posted:

How would you describe the situation to which they responded? There should have been environmental decontamination as soon as EVD was supected; a contaminated scene was left untreated for several days.

I was referring to the vomit on the street. The apartment should've been cleaned out by guys in bunny suits on the 28th.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Again, that paper is not intended for field cases as it clearly states: "is intended to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

American healthcare and crisis response.jpg

How can you bungle this thing any worse than they currently are? Seriously, at least appear to give a poo poo.

• Locked thread