Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

How'd you get so many? I haven't gotten a single one from either site. :(

/beg

PMed you a key. IGN was giving away keys, but their site had a massive flaw. When you clicked the link to get a key, it opened up a window that generated the key for you. If you clicked the X button on the window to close it, then clicked the link again, it generated a new key.

Morglon posted:

Kind of pissed about the time frame too, it's just three hours around noon and oh yeah gently caress all those other time zones and people who have poo poo to do. It's always kind of hard to do when you have to have your people playing all the time but come on, should be at least twice that to give people a chance.

I hear ya. The last week was four hours long during the same window. People complained even then about the weird time slot. This week they cut it short an hour. They really should have done it across multiple times windows like their previous live events. I have no idea why this time they decided to do it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think they're trying to keep the audience they see the most of, I.E. US players. I liked that they fixed the "if the chat server goes down you can still talk with people in your zone" bug, since there were so many people in coral forest during a dev spotting that the chat server crashed and I rolled with it saying the Chosen were jamming our transmissions. :v:

I sent you a mail in-game though, Nalin. :v: /beg

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Morglon posted:

Kind of pissed about the time frame too, it's just three hours around noon and oh yeah gently caress all those other time zones and people who have poo poo to do. It's always kind of hard to do when you have to have your people playing all the time but come on, should be at least twice that to give people a chance.

Yeh I was awake for other reasons and just idled out the hour last week but its 4:00 am where I live. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I remember getting into the early beta for this game years ago, firing it up briefly and never playing it again. Coming back to it, it still feels kind of half-baked, but I'm enjoying it.

Initially I was thinking I'd have to level half the frames to 40 to get perks, but after actually hitting 40 I realize 21 perk points isn't actually bery many. I wonder if they'll raise the perk cap at some point?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Chocobo posted:

Initially I was thinking I'd have to level half the frames to 40 to get perks, but after actually hitting 40 I realize 21 perk points isn't actually bery many. I wonder if they'll raise the perk cap at some point?
I hope not. Sure, there's a lot of great perks I'd love to stack up all at once, but having a small limit ensures that there's a lot of variety between different players' builds, and forces you to actually put some careful consideration into what you choose rather than just selecting all the good stuff.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Having perks like +damage is just really unintuitive though. I bet that 4/5 perks are rarely if ever used.

Perks should be about utility. Not flat bonuses.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I feel like the perks need another pass. Any perks that increase damage without qualifier should be small. Some of the perks offer huge increases to damage for no trade off. Anything that increases damage should be pretty specific.

There are a bunch of perks that are super specific and still really bad even for what they're doing.

They should look into trying some perks with great buffs but with drawbacks attached, make players choose something that really fits the way they want to play.

+X% Damage, -X% Rate of Fire
+X% Energy Recharge, -X Jet Sprint Cost, -X% Health
+X% AOE, -X% Damage
+X% Accuracy, -X% Ammo Cap

etc, etc, etc.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Doesn't seem like anything in the game has drawbacks built into it. Everything from abilities to mods and perks is just flat bonuses with no drawbacks to be seen. Very odd design choice.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Wulfling posted:

Doesn't seem like anything in the game has drawbacks built into it. Everything from abilities to mods and perks is just flat bonuses with no drawbacks to be seen. Very odd design choice.

Closest thing would be the old Chosen Weapons which had a slightly slower firing rate.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JonusRockweller posted:

Closest thing would be the old Chosen Weapons which had a slightly slower firing rate.
The old constraint system was the biggest system with drawbacks. You couldn't equip the best stuff on your character. For every best in class weapon/ability, you had to sacrifice somewhere else. Everything that could have drawbacks were eventually cast out for a simplified system that could appease the most players.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

The old constraint system was the biggest system with drawbacks. You couldn't equip the best stuff on your character. For every best in class weapon/ability, you had to sacrifice somewhere else. Everything that could have drawbacks were eventually cast out for a simplified system that could appease the most players.

I still remember Dragonfly weighing like a drat ambulance, nothing was balanced out to use Energy, it was pure Mass unless you used Poison Ball... Only reason that issue was ever solved was because of the new system of, "I don't give a drat, just show me the levels."

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
LOL! Yeah. I remember when we started the Dragonfly mass problem rage thread and it caused R5 to go back and have Xenogenic take another look at the frame. The weight reduction was about as effective as removing the spare tire from the aforementioned ambulance.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: REMINDER :siren:

The Chosen Offensive event starts in 20 minutes (11 AM Pacific time).

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Missed it again. drat them for having it during the five hours a week I have a social life.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, the event was interesting. And very buggy. Most of the time assists didn't count on dev kills. I managed to get 2/3 assists in the last couple minutes of the event just by chance. Because it was so buggy, red5 is going to unlock the pet for everybody who participated for the first hour or so. Getting the 30/30 of the events was pretty easy once you figured out that a portion of the events didn't count towards the goal. I would have gotten the 30 if it didn't break completely if you relogged. I got butt hurt that it broke for me so I quit for a bit.

The events are fun, but often brought down by endless bugs.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Also they don't really do anything for the game in the long run. You need poo poo that's compelling and/or rewarding all the time for people to keep playing and spending money, if it's just a fun thing to do for an hour or two every other week or so people will do other poo poo in the meantime and eventually just not come back at all.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Honestly, if they had it so that at random times, for an hour the chosen would spawn like they did in this event (Sans superpowered devs, of course) that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Not only would it break the monotony, it'd give them a chance to show off the obvious work they did in actually MAKING these events, as well as keep people interested if there was something along the lines of "Hey, do 100/200/300 of these chosen events and you get some stuff" rather than a one-off event.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Honestly, if they had it so that at random times, for an hour the chosen would spawn like they did in this event (Sans superpowered devs, of course) that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Not only would it break the monotony, it'd give them a chance to show off the obvious work they did in actually MAKING these events, as well as keep people interested if there was something along the lines of "Hey, do 100/200/300 of these chosen events and you get some stuff" rather than a one-off event.

It's almost like how the game used to work was better :v:

Seriously though it was pretty cool when the Chosen would semi-regularly take over 1/3 to 1/2 of Coral Forest.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

timmmmaaaah posted:

It's almost like how the game used to work was better :v:

Seriously though it was pretty cool when the Chosen would semi-regularly take over 1/3 to 1/2 of Coral Forest.

They can't do that anymore. I saw a bunch of Chosen attacking a POI in Sertao, so I decided to stay back and watch. They were all attacking the SIN tower and I discovered that it was taking no damage at all. I don't think I've ever seen a POI get taken since 1.0, and that handily explains why. The most they can do now is take watchtowers. Too bad there are only like, two watchtowers or so in Sertao, and none in Devil's Tusk.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I can see the reason why, because it interrupts the leveling process now.

They really should just have an encampment with quests that pops up if you lose the city/tower like Sunken Harbor. That way we can have our cake and eat it too.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thor-Stryker posted:

I can see the reason why, because it interrupts the leveling process now.

They really should just have an encampment with quests that pops up if you lose the city/tower like Sunken Harbor. That way we can have our cake and eat it too.

I'm not talking about the old invasions. Taking a POI is perfectly fine. It just means that you do the event to take it back, which is usually defending against a couple drop pods for two to three minutes. It shouldn't be an issue at all. They should actually just scale it to the number of people in the area.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, it'd be really nice if they made changes to make the Chosen and the melding in general seem like a threat. Chosen activity should increase near the melding, and they should have more dynamic events with Chosen coming out of the melding to attack nearby outposts.

I somehow managed to come out on top of the Chosen Incursion weekend. It took about 10 dev attacks for me to get the 3 assists for that minipet that I'll never use. It took me forever to get 5 events complete in Devil's Tusk for the other bonuses, then I moved to Sertao where the events were spawning everywhere constantly and knocked out 25 more really quickly. Thankfully the events continued to spawn for a while even after the event was supposed to end.

All that and I got a gold token which turned into a straw hat. :effort:

In general though this weekend event felt a little flat. It was the exact same thing as last Incursion which is fine because it's a fun event, but the game-y achievements thrown on top caused a ton of confusion and complaints. Hardly anyone was getting boss kill assists, a lot of people were getting bugged or disconnects causing them to lose progress on the one-hour-straight requirement, tons of people were confused by the bonus missions requiring the one hour playtime, and then most of the events weren't giving credit either. I'm sure the developers are learning from each event, I just hope the next one doesn't result in endless complaining in zone chat like this one did.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Chosen seem more interesting in attacking player thumpers than Accord outposts. Boy do they hate those thumpers at times...

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
They have a weakness to percussion. Like Tremors

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

d3k0y posted:

They have a weakness to percussion. Like Tremors

The tiki torch should be a weapon then.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Fina posted:

All that and I got a gold token which turned into a straw hat. :effort:
Mine turned into a bastion license. :smuggo:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys, guess what Red 5 is doing again? That's right, a third (and final (not really final)) Chosen Offensive! At the same time as last time.

This Sunday, October 5th, at 11am-2pm PDT, the final Chosen Offensive will be taking place. This time the rewards are going to NOT involve getting kill assists on devs.

By playing for the continuous 1-hour, you can get the 1 week of VIP, the titles (if you missed them), the Earthbreaker pet, and a Chosen Glider Pad (lofty).

The stretch goals are also back.

Finally, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMIglsnnIsM

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2014

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That was one of the most awkward videos I've ever watched, holy crap.

Hopefully they fixed the invasions in DT not counting for the offensive credit, meaning people will actually do them. They were pretty neat last time and it was disheartening to see them still up for a few hours after the event "ended" because nobody was doing them in order to get their 30 events in.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Okay, I made a new tiny addon. It is called Goon Transit.
It basically supersedes KearnyTransit. By using the /ft command (or /transit, arcport, travel), it opens up the Arcporter window. For future versions I'll look into adding a clickable GUI element or a position in the navwheel.

Here is a download link:
http://tinyurl.com/goontransit
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMV3RBZG0xVFVZNU0

You can either use Melder to install it, or open up the .zip file and extract the GoonTransit folder into %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Firefall\Addons (create the folder if it doesn't exist). If you are in-game, you don't have to restart as you can use /rui to reload all the addons.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 31, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Nice, thanks. Your modified KearnyTransit is one of my favorite addons. gently caress walking across an entire zone to get to an arcporter when you want to level another frame or whatever.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

a Chosen Glider Pad (lofty).

Actually sounds like it's a Chosen version of the Celestial Wings - no pad. Which should be awesome.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

Actually sounds like it's a Chosen version of the Celestial Wings - no pad. Which should be awesome.

15 minute cooldown though. So it's a cooler looking Accord Emergency Glider.

Nalin, well done.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Ville Valo posted:

Haha, wow. That's going to piss off all the people who paid several tens of thousands of credits for the Celestial Wings.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ralith posted:

Haha, wow. That's going to piss off all the people who paid several tens of thousands of credits for the Celestial Wings.

It has a 15min cooldown and it looks different, good chance people won't be as pissed as you think.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Lemon King posted:

It has a 15min cooldown and it looks different, good chance people won't be as pissed as you think.

not pissed at all. :cool:

Kalevevent
Mar 16, 2006

Did anyone else lose that 30days of VIP from the giveaway last week? I think the chosen offensive VIP might have messed with it.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Kalevevent posted:

Did anyone else lose that 30days of VIP from the giveaway last week? I think the chosen offensive VIP might have messed with it.

I did. Put in a ticket, and it was resolved within a half hour. Even got some extra time.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I need to put in a ticket too, then. I should have VIP up to Halloween when you count all of the Chosen weekends, but it says I have a few days left. I figured it was just some display bug.

Kalevevent
Mar 16, 2006

eth0.n posted:

I did. Put in a ticket, and it was resolved within a half hour. Even got some extra time.

Cool. I'll have to do that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Guess I should put in a ticket as well, mine never activated.

• Locked thread