Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My wifi and Bluetooth work fine :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Jet Ready Go posted:

I have that wifi problem with my iPhone 6. I didn't upgrade the phone since I got it. Resetting network connections worked for a day....

Anyone else having this problem that have a good solve for it?

What is "that wifi problem?"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My phone already knew my wifi password when I set it up new today. I have an iPad Air already.

Was that through Keychain or something else? It was kind of cool. Saved me a lot of annoyance since iOS doesn't let you see passwords as you enter them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah that's iCloud Keychain at work.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was wondering if someone else was going to mention Bluetooth problems. I have a speaker at work I use for my music, and I have to go into the settings each time, and tap the "Airwave" under the Bluetooth settings every day I go into work. Or if I wander out of range of the speaker. Or if I turn off bluetooth to stop it from using that across the office when I'm watching a video on the phone. Extremely annoying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep it sounds like Bluetooth is a disaster on 8.0-8.0.2 for a lot of people, but some who reported issues are saying that 8.1 beta seems to resolve them. I haven't encountered any issues personally, so I can't say whether 8.1 fixed it or not.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is 8 causing problems on phones other than 6? My wife's coworker has a 5s and can't make or receive calls all of a sudden.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Really glad I sprang for the Apple leather case, dark blue, for my 6+. It's so much easier to hold and feels great without adding much bulk which is a pretty big deal with this monster.

Now if all these apps would update to get rid of the Jitterbug UI scaling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Back at Starbucks. Neither Passbook nor "suggested apps" pops up. Foursquare knew where I was and popped up with a popular tip for me, though.

#ios8gotsmadbugs

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The rear end Stooge posted:

What is "that wifi problem?"

Some people (myself included) are experiencing slow/unreliable wifi: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-issues-battery-drain-wifi/

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

the kawaiiest posted:

Some people (myself included) are experiencing slow/unreliable wifi: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-issues-battery-drain-wifi/

Cool. I thought I noticed my 5C sometimes having a hard time staying connected to WiFi after updating to iOS 8, but I wasn't sure if it was just confirmation bias. Good to know it's a known issue and I'm not just crazy.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
I've been having an issue that I first noticed on my 6, but have also seen on a 5s and iPad Air. When loading pages with lots of images over cellular, many of the images on the page won't load completely or at all. Safari then caches these incomplete images, so that they still do not load if the page is refreshed. The only way to see those images is to completely reset Safari.

There was one other poster here that had a similar issue, but I don't think it was exactly the same since mine only seems to happen over cellular. I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue with iOS 8 or with AT&T.

Can a few people try going to a page like this and see if all the pictures load? Can you also post what your carrier and location is? This is what I get on AT&T in central Florida:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm on Verizon in Minnesota

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

I just pulled a sizable bit of pocket fluff out of my 6's charger port after noticing my plug wouldn't go all the way in. I keep the phone in my pocket not even most of the day and don't have abnormal fluffy pockets or anything. Has this always been an issue with iPhones?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

It's an issue with all phones that have uncovered ports. How it got that bad within a few weeks at most is beyond me though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

I just pulled a sizable bit of pocket fluff out of my 6's charger port after noticing my plug wouldn't go all the way in. I keep the phone in my pocket not even most of the day and don't have abnormal fluffy pockets or anything. Has this always been an issue with iPhones?
I tried brushing out my 5S' charge port with a tiny brush like a month ago after almost a year of owning it because I saw somebody do it on the internet. Apparently lint collects in there. I'd never had trouble charging, but I figured I'd try it anyway. A little piece of lint came out, but not much. After like 11 months.

So I'd say a sizable chunk of it after 2 weeks is an issue alright. I haven't tried cleaning out my 6 yet but I also haven't had any issues with charging.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

pull your pockets inside out when you put them in the wash

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bigger phone = bigger lint.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Lightning port on the 6 seems a bit more exposed than the 5, since it's on a convex surface. So it wouldn't surprise me if it picked up lint faster.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Speaking of ports. The iPhone can't feasibly get much thinner in future iterations considering there needs to be a headphone and lightning port on there somewhere, right? Speculate on a workaround for this for iPhone 7 and beyond.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking of ports. The iPhone can't feasibly get much thinner in future iterations considering there needs to be a headphone and lightning port on there somewhere, right? Speculate on a workaround for this for iPhone 7 and beyond.

wireless charger, bluetooth headphones/data transfer

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

It's an issue with all phones that have uncovered ports. How it got that bad within a few weeks at most is beyond me though.

ONE week.

Lintgate

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In the future, the iPhone becomes so thin that you can't even see it anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

In the future, the iPhone becomes so thin that you can't even see it anymore.

Infinitely thin, infinitely tall

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

wireless charger, bluetooth headphones/data transfer

Will never happen unless they can develop a method of wireless charging from several feet away. Not being able to use your phone while charging would be awful.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lightning port only, adapter for headphones other than EarPods and "made for iPhone" models.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Fine in one vehicle, keep having to re-pair in my other vehicle

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Infinitely thin, infinitely tall

"Ugh, did I just walk through a spiderweb or an iPhone ∞?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
An infinitely tall iPhone would require no further R&D because it would already contain all possible future hardware.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Will never happen unless they can develop a method of wireless charging from several feet away. Not being able to use your phone while charging would be awful.

Long cord with a flat back surface that kinda sticks to the back of the phone. Boom, done.

However, now you have Case issues.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Long cord with a flat back surface that kinda sticks to the back of the phone. Boom, done.

However, now you have Case issues.

So, the Apple watch charger? That might be annoying if it disconnects in your pocket, though I guess that's like four generations away or something so BT headphones might actually be worth using.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Could you even hold/use an iPhone that was so thin there wasn't room for a headphone jack? Seems like a nightmare.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a human thumb tapping on a credit card... forever

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I feel like phones are done getting thinner at this point. The 6+ already hurts to hold without a case imho.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Chinese manufacturer, Gionee, has a 5.1mm thin phone coming out which will be the world's thinnest. That's 2mm thinner than the 6.

http://www.gsmarena.com/upcoming_gionee_elife_s51_is_worlds_slimmest_phone-news-9510.php

Seeing as the iPhone got 1.7mm thinner from the 4 to 5 and only 0.7mm thinner to the 6 I don't think it'll get that thin for another two iterations. At this rate that won't be until 2018.

Also Gionee's phone seems to have a flush camera. Heh.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I feel like phones are done getting thinner at this point. The 6+ already hurts to hold without a case imho.

I think that once the body is so thin that it literally cannot contain the camera assembly, it's time to stop making phones thinner and start using that space for bigger batteries or something.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or a few more gigs of memory. Or some structural reinforcement.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
gently caress all of you the phones are perfect these designs were left in Steve's will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Next iPhone will move to five blades and a strip of aloe.