Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
If her parents are like one of my friends then they make money they do not report through their business and refused to file a FAFSA thinking the IRS would discover their extra $10k a year in untaxed income. My friend ended up one semester from graduating before he could not continue towards his degree in art design all because he wanted to follow his dream but could not swim in the debt. He did not care that out of the last 3 years of graduating classes only 2 people found work in their field of work, one as an intern and the other because his dad owns a company. So many people growing up to find out they entered a load of debt for a field that is hard to enter.

My friend is currently working two jobs, one at his parents business, to meet the payments and hopes to get his degree finished in a year. His life is going to be hard going into his thirties all because his parents didn't want to get the IRS to find an extra 10k. Ten grand a year in untaxed income over having your child get government aid of any kind... :cripes: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I just learned that you can discharge student loans via bankruptcy here in Canada as long as you declare at least 7 years after the point at which you ceased to be a student.

So 14 years after you graduate, your life can get on track!

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 2, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I just learned that you can discharge student loans via bankruptcy here in Canada as long as you declare at least 7 years after the point at which you ceased to be a student.

So 14 years after you graduate, your life can get on track!
Keep in mind that declaring bankruptcy in Canada isn't the same thing as it is in the U.S. The process is a lot more arduous and difficult here in Canada, and you lose everything by declaring bankruptcy.

Huttan
May 15, 2013
It has gotten more expensive to renounce your citizenship:

quote:

Beginning Sept. 12, the State Department is increasing fivefold the fee it charges Americans to cut ties with the (overtaxed?) land of the free. It used to cost $450 to go through the lengthy process of permanently leaving the United States. It will now cost $2,350 to officially hand over your U.S. passport.
Source.

You can have your passport revoked if your child support payments get too far behind. And the early versions (it might be still in the passed version, but I wasn't going to spend too much time scanning the 580 pages of what got passed) of the MAP21 bill (which was promoted as a highway bill, but includes lots of provisions about pension funding) would have allowed the IRS to have the State Department revoke your passport if you got too far behind in your taxes. So I think it is reasonable that if you do chose to flee the US to avoid student loans, that in the not too far future that will become something that will cause you to get deported back to the US.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

melon cat posted:

Keep in mind that declaring bankruptcy in Canada isn't the same thing as it is in the U.S. The process is a lot more arduous and difficult here in Canada, and you lose everything by declaring bankruptcy.

Plus its a huge hassle to discharge your loans. They've turned people down for a loan discharge in bankruptcy for having put money into their RRSPs.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2000/2000canlii22497/2000canlii22497.html at paragraph 19.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Huttan posted:

It has gotten more expensive to renounce your citizenship:
Source.

You can have your passport revoked if your child support payments get too far behind. And the early versions (it might be still in the passed version, but I wasn't going to spend too much time scanning the 580 pages of what got passed) of the MAP21 bill (which was promoted as a highway bill, but includes lots of provisions about pension funding) would have allowed the IRS to have the State Department revoke your passport if you got too far behind in your taxes. So I think it is reasonable that if you do chose to flee the US to avoid student loans, that in the not too far future that will become something that will cause you to get deported back to the US.

If you go to a country which doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US you should be fine.

Of course, you still can't come back.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Would people actually get extradited over 250k of private student loans?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Barry posted:

Would people actually get extradited over 250k of private student loans?

Federal loans I could see extradition for, if the amount was high enough. Otherwise the government would write it off and just assume that they'll nail you if you're dumb enough to come back to the country. Private loans? No other government is going to give enough of a gently caress that an American corporation can't continue to blatantly loan-shark people into endless poverty for them to bother handing you over.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The French still have a Foreign Legion, but I’m not sure they have much need for graphic artists.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Honestly with that much debt the best solution is to just stop trying to make payments. Having 15% of your pay garnished for the rest of your life sucks but it is better than hiding in Somalia or shooting yourself.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Leaving the country is an easy option and I have friends who have done this with no chance of repaying the debt. Suicide is an effective option but everyone has forgotten that it's possible to spread your cheeks for a debt free future. Unfortunately I met a lot of people who've taken that option because their degree leaves them with very low earning potential (or none).

The student loan system in New Zealand isn't perfect but the repayments are based on income and it is taken from your pay as a 10% tax. When I went to University they charged interest while studying and it was pretty painful to pay back. I believe the system has been adjusted so that you don't get charged interest while studying and one of my friends wasn't even being charged interest while working and repaying it. One of the reasons the Government changed the student loan system is because some students would never actually be able to repay their loan even if they worked until they died.

I'm pretty sure a lot of colleges in the US are bad with money given that their fees are so high. Where does the $40k+ in tuition go?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Shareholders!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of colleges in the US are bad with money given that their fees are so high. Where does the $40k+ in tuition go?

Luxury dorms, state of the art fitness centers, meticulous landscaping, high quality food courts. These things are now expected to be standard across all universities and colleges. Universities are catering to the needs of wealthy students (or students wiling to max out student loans) which raises costs for everyone.

The same thing is happening in hospitals.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Since you can't measure college academic performance directly, the value of the degree relative to other colleges is based on its prestige, so colleges spend as much as possible on raising that by blowing money on nice facilities, top-tier research professors, fancy sports programs, etc.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There's also the cutting back of public funding for public universities.

Weatherman posted:

Pompous, you of all people should know what her first option would be.

:kiddo:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

laxbro posted:

Luxury dorms, state of the art fitness centers, meticulous landscaping, high quality food courts. These things are now expected to be standard across all universities and colleges. Universities are catering to the needs of wealthy students (or students wiling to max out student loans) which raises costs for everyone.

The same thing is happening in hospitals.

Presidents and other high-ranking officials who make six or seven figure salaries too. Where I went to school the president made at least 200k a year and the university paid for a $100k renovation of his house because he'd entertain boosters there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CellarDweller posted:

Honestly with that much debt the best solution is to just stop trying to make payments. Having 15% of your pay garnished for the rest of your life sucks but it is better than hiding in Somalia or shooting yourself.

I don't know why garnishment isn't an option for more people. If you're making median wages and have 6 figures of debt it's cheaper to just accept life long garnishment, as crazy as that is. I wonder if you could stack garnishments on purpose (such as IRS ones) so as to stiff the loan companies even harder?

That being said a friend of a friend of mine did the whole 'gently caress this I'm out' when he had too heavy of a debt load. However, he took out a bunch of credit cards right before he left, bought HDTVs and sold them for cash on craigslist, and left for south america with a briefcase of cash. Definitely worth doing if you're going to flee the country.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Does it become fraud at that point?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nail Rat posted:

Presidents and other high-ranking officials who make six or seven figure salaries too. Where I went to school the president made at least 200k a year and the university paid for a $100k renovation of his house because he'd entertain boosters there.
Eh 200k for the president isn't that bad. What's bad is when you have several dozen 100-200k 'administrators'/VPs, most of whom are doing makework.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Devian666 posted:

To replacing the state funding that got cut when Republicans took over.

Oh, and to the bondholders who purchased AAA rated tuition-loan bonds.

Here's the prospectus for the University of California system:
https://ucfocusonyourfuture.mysecurebenefitsportal.com/Content/downloads/UC_Bond_Fund.pdf

BigDave fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 3, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Since you can't measure college academic performance directly, the value of the degree relative to other colleges is based on its prestige, so colleges spend as much as possible on raising that by blowing money on nice facilities, top-tier research professors, fancy sports programs, etc.

The University I went to was focused on publishing a lot of high quality academic papers. It was a standard they held themselves to. The engineering school and chemistry department had a lot of prestige due to the quality of the degrees you could get. All the nice student facilities were funded by students paying to use facilities or from the Student Association (which is independent from the University financially). All this costs a lot less than the crazy fees charged in the US.

Maybe people should study tuition free and get degrees that would actually make them employable. The following is accredited in the US but I think was originally designed to help out third world nations.
http://uopeople.edu/

BigDave posted:

Oh, and to the bondholders who purchased A+++ rated tuition-loan bonds.

Here's the prospectus for the University of California system:
https://ucfocusonyourfuture.mysecurebenefitsportal.com/Content/downloads/UC_Bond_Fund.pdf

poo poo. University Bonds certainly are a way of converting C grade or worse borrowers into AAA bonds.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Devian666 posted:

The student loan system in New Zealand isn't perfect but the repayments are based on income and it is taken from your pay as a 10% tax. When I went to University they charged interest while studying and it was pretty painful to pay back. I believe the system has been adjusted so that you don't get charged interest while studying and one of my friends wasn't even being charged interest while working and repaying it. One of the reasons the Government changed the student loan system is because some students would never actually be able to repay their loan even if they worked until they died.

It went to 12% 2 years ago and its interest free as long as you live in Nz (cheers Aunty Helen!). 6% interest if you live overseas and they can now confiscate your passport if you return and its too far overdue. Plus it costs $13-15k a year to go to uni now. ~6k tuition plus 8-10k living cost loan which is generally only enough to cover rent. Student allowance still exists but is basically for rich farmers whose parents have "no income" and cant be used for postgrad study.

So yeah the last few years of a national govt have not been kind to students and people with loans.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cicero posted:

Eh 200k for the president isn't that bad. What's bad is when you have several dozen 100-200k 'administrators'/VPs, most of whom are doing makework.

200k for a University President seems really low actually.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The famous comic seems relevant:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
That's also irrelevant since football programs are generally revenue net-positive (sometimes massively so).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

VideoTapir posted:

Does it become fraud at that point?

Yes. What are they going to do about it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

It went to 12% 2 years ago and its interest free as long as you live in Nz (cheers Aunty Helen!). 6% interest if you live overseas and they can now confiscate your passport if you return and its too far overdue. Plus it costs $13-15k a year to go to uni now. ~6k tuition plus 8-10k living cost loan which is generally only enough to cover rent. Student allowance still exists but is basically for rich farmers whose parents have "no income" and cant be used for postgrad study.

So yeah the last few years of a national govt have not been kind to students and people with loans.

Everyone I know living in NZ is doing alright unless they don't earn enough to pay the loan. Friends who have gone to Australia have been away long enough that they are hosed. Their loans have climbed and there's no way they can make the repayments. IRD has reached out to say they're will to negotiate a deal on repayments (probably writing off unsustainable interest on a case by case basis) but I don't know anyone who wants to deal with them to sort out repayments.

It leaves a lot of people in a situation where they will never return to NZ and we'll never get the benefit from their education.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

That's also irrelevant since football programs are generally revenue net-positive (sometimes massively so).

That's because they're fueled on the blood, hopes, tears, and dreams of college athletes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zo posted:

They don't have to pay their athletes anything, either (although that may change sometime soon).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Zo posted:

I don't think that's really true outside of the best teams.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FrozenVent posted:

Yes. What are they going to do about it?

Issue a warrant. Don't ever visit your family.

Re: university chat:

Details are a little hazy, this was like 15 years ago.

When I was an undergraduate my school built a new athletic facility of some kind that hardly anyone outside of the athletic department ever used. The athletic department was having trouble paying for it, so they wanted to fund it through a student fee. IIRC it was like 20 bucks a semester. This was IIRC in addition to the rec center fee. Anyway, they had a special student election about the fee. It was aggressively advertised in the atheletic facilities/rec center but hardly got any mention anywhere else. Almost no one outside the athletic department voted, (because hardly anyone knew about the election) and the fee passed.

And that is why gently caress college athletics forever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BigDave posted:

This. So very much this, at least in Florida. We as a culture simply don't value education anymore. We value degrees. This is one more manifestation of it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't think that's really true outside of the best teams.

It mostly is, actually. The standard myth that gets thrown around (and which you may be confusing with my post) is that they all make tons of money, and THAT is not true aside from the best teams, but even the shittest football programs are more or less a wash.

http://www.ethosreview.org/intellectual-spaces/is-college-football-profitable/

quote:

While these allocations also show that a good portion of Alabama football’s $110 million goes toward offsetting the costs of having a big-time athletic department, the data also shows that some top-tier football programs do in fact use a significant portion of its revenue to provide for the expenses of most of the athletic department. Yet that’s actually a rarity. For example, at Marshall University—a smaller top-tier program with a storied history—the expenses of the football team ($7,083,399) nearly wash out their revenue ($7,760,381). The remaining “football” revenue only marginally supports the expenses of other sports. Or, at Texas State University-San Marcos, a far less competitive football program at a university with enrollment numbers comparable to the University of Alabama, the revenue and expenses were both reported as exactly $5,633,155.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zo posted:

It mostly is, actually. The standard myth that gets thrown around (and which you may be confusing with my post) is that they all make tons of money, and THAT is not true aside from the best teams, but even the shittest football programs are more or less a wash.

http://www.ethosreview.org/intellectual-spaces/is-college-football-profitable/

There are a lot of ways to manipulate the costs of the program. It's not uncommon for facilities and resources that are used nearly exclusively by football athletes are put on the athletic departments, student activity, or general facilities budgets instead of the football budget; or for assistant coaches to be paid from academic accounts as kineseology instructors; same for tutors. It should be seen as extremely suspicious that in even in the least successful programs football revenues exactly match expenses.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I did not mean to start footballchat the other parts of the chart are interesting too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
An oldie but a goodie, on the subject of universities:

quote:

March 24, 2009 12:00 am

Superstar rapper Jay-Z and “Americal Idol” pop singer Kelly Clarkson will headline the first concert at Arizona Stadium since 1977.

The April 29 concert is presented by the Associated Students of The University of Arizona and any profits from the show will go into a scholarship fund, ASUA president Tommy Bruce said in his announcement tonight.

The concert, dubbed The Last Smash Platinum Bash, will also feature ’90s rockers Third Eye Blind and Australian pop act The Veronicas.

Tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. Friday for UA students and at noon for everybody else online only asua.arizona.edu. Prices range from $26 to $200.
Read more in Wednesday’s Arizona Daily Star and Thursday’s Caliente section.

If you're thinking "that's an odd lineup," you're not alone. And this is what happened:

quote:

UA group vows more concert bashes despite $1M loss on Jay-Z

by Renee Schafer Horton on May 06, 2009, under Calendar, Education, Local
Jay-Z received $750,000 for his performance at the Last Smash Platinum Bash concert at Arizona Stadium on April 29.

Jay-Z received $750,000 for his performance at the Last Smash Platinum Bash concert at Arizona Stadium on April 29.

It was billed as the event that would prove Arizona Stadium was a viable concert venue.

But the Last Smash Platinum Bash turned out to be a nearly $1 million bust for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

The concert, which mixed it up with hip-hop artist Jay-Z and pop star Kelly Clarkson, cost the UA student organization $1.4 million to stage, but brought in slightly more than $503,000.

Chris Nagata, incoming ASUA president, blamed the slow ticket sales on the economy and said this would not be the end of ASUA concerts at UA.

“No one predicted last May when we were planning that the economy would have such a major downturn,” Nagata said. “But we’re committed to concerts as recruiting and retention tools. Students want to come to a campus that provides them with opportunities like this.”

Nagata said the next ASUA concert will “minimize the financial risk” to the student group through sponsorships or community partnerships.

The concert loss will be partially covered by ASUA’s $350,000 emergency reserve. The remaining shortfall will be covered by a $567,000 loan from UA BookStore to be paid back over five years, said Frank Farias, executive director of bookstore operations.

ASUA and the bookstore have a revenue-sharing agreement that is renegotiated every five years. The most recent contract was signed this year and allocates $530,000 annually to ASUA from bookstore revenues.

To pay off the loan, that allocation will drop by $114,000 over the next five years, Farias said, meaning ASUA will receive $570,000 less from its primary source of funding than anticipated through 2014.

Farias said the contract with ASUA includes a stipulation that if the bookstore covers its operating costs, ASUA will receive 2 percent of the profits. If that happens, he said, ASUA’s share will be held by the bookstore “to accelerate the loan payments.”

The red ink has launched a Facebook group encouraging UA students to boycott a student fee that partially funds some ASUA programs and to demand that stipends paid to the ASUA president and two vice presidents be eliminated.

The ASUA president receives an annual $6,000 stipend, and the two vice presidents receive $4,500, Nagata said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Melissa Vito said concerts are always a risk.

“What’s kind of too bad about this is that student government had done a lot of concerts in the past that came in within budget,” Vito said.

“They had pages of data to support why these (performers) were selected and everyone who reviewed the proposal thought they would do well. . . . Their funding will be reduced by over $100,000 and that’s a hard consequence.”

Tommy Bruce, outgoing ASUA president, began planning the concert last May on the heels of a break-even McKale Center concert featuring Kanye West. About 9,000 tickets were sold to that event, bringing in about $550,000.

He said ASUA anticipated selling 17,000 tickets for last week’s event, based on the performers’ draw in cities similar in size to Tucson. Instead, only 6,100 tickets were sold, priced from $25 to $200. About 3,000 were given away in exchange for marketing and promotions services, Bruce said. About 200 of the $200 tickets were available and all were sold, he said.

Payments for Bash performers varied. Jay-Z got $750,000, Clarkson was paid $175,000, Third Eye Blind earned $85,000 and the Veronicas got $20,000.

ASUA spent about $100,000 on staging, lights, video, audio, parking, merchandise and safety and security personnel.

The concert was the first in Arizona Stadium since Fleetwood Mac performed in 1977.

Bruce, who has successfully fought tuition increases at UA and negotiated a predictability clause in the most recent tuition agreement, knows many students are focused on the concert losing money.

“It’s the furthest thing from an ideal situation, but it’s not the only thing I’ve done in my two years as president,” he said. “But it’s one of the most public things and you just roll with it, I guess.”

quote:

Just Plain Dumb
Partying Like A Rock Star: ASUA Loses a Cool Million Bucks On Jay-Z Stadium Show
Posted By Jim Nintzel on Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM

This is one of those times when you have to wonder if you're reading The Onion: ASUA managed to lose nearly $1 million on the Jay-Z concert at Arizona Stadium last week, according to the Arizona Daily Star.

Yes, they lost nearly a million dollars. On a show that was supposed to be a fundraiser for students who can't afford to pay their tuition.

Not only does this wipe out the Associated Students of the University of Arizona's reserve fund; it also means that that the outgoing ASUA leadership leaves the organization in such heavy debt that future student councils will have less money to spend for years, according the morning daily.

This is an unmitigated disaster that can be squarely blamed on outgoing ASUA President Tommy Bruce and his team, who decided they would throw a big-rear end party and leave the tab for someone else. And while Bruce may tell the Star that the economy is to blame, anyone with any experience in successfully promoting concerts could have told him that this was going to be a disaster.

ASUA got lucky last year when they booked Kanye West at McKale Center and didn't lose money on the show. So they figured: Hey, anyone can do this!

Wrong.

Sadly for all concerned, ASUA could have worked with local promoters—there are several in town—to produce a show that would have turned a profit. Hell, they would have been better off if they'd just had a homeless bum play a guitar outside the Student Union for spare change.

The Arizona Daily Wildcat reports that a delusional Bruce considers the loss of nearly one million dollars to be a success:

The lead up to such a large-scale concert began four years ago, with ASUA slowly building up its reputation through smaller shows until they had proven they could handle a big-time concert, Bruce said.

"You have to prove yourself in the industry," he said. "There's a lot to be learned about what we've done."

Despite the financial losses, Bruce still called the concert a success, as it can be used as a retention and recruitment tool for the university, Bruce said.

Besides providing students with an entertaining show with prominent names, the university now knows a football stadium concert venue is viable, he added.

Um...it would appear to us that somebody failed to learn the definition of viable during their years in college.

TL;DR: Star-struck students with delusions of grandeur blow a million bucks in student union money to meet their idols.

Where is the money going? To Jay-Z and Kelly Clarkson.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 3, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

An oldie but a goodie, on the subject of Universities:

If you're thinking "that's an odd lineup," you're not alone. And this is what happened:

TL;DR: Star-struck students with delusions of grandeur blow a million bucks in student union money to meet their idols.

Where is the money going? To Jay-Z and Kelly Clarkson.

It's as if they have no idea about running events. If they were interested in making money they should have booked Skrillex and Deadmau5. Paid them the money and had a packed stadium along with a boost to the local economy via drug dealers.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

They sold 9,000 tickets at an average ticket price/attendee revenue of $62.

They expected to sell 17,000 tickets. At the same average ticket price (despite them actually selling all their most expensive tickets suggesting the average might be lower). They would raise.

$1,054,000.

quote:

Payments for Bash performers varied. Jay-Z got $750,000, Clarkson was paid $175,000, Third Eye Blind earned $85,000 and the Veronicas got $20,000.

Total performer cost. $1,030,000.

Did anyone with half a brain look at their figures?

Even ignoring the $100k cost for lighting, security etc it just doesn't make any sense. How do break even concerts raise money?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

They sold 9,000 tickets at an average ticket price/attendee revenue of $62.

They expected to sell 17,000 tickets. At the same average ticket price (despite them actually selling all their most expensive tickets suggesting the average might be lower). They would raise.

$1,054,000.

Total performer cost. $1,030,000.

Did anyone with half a brain look at their figures?

Even ignoring the $100k cost for lighting, security etc it just doesn't make any sense. How do break even concerts raise money?

quote:

only 6,100 tickets were sold, priced from $25 to $200. About 3,000 were given away in exchange for marketing and promotions services

Reading is hard, I know, but they did expect to make money, however wrong those expectations were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Here's the idiot's Linkedin page. Somehow he parlayed that debacle into a career. And of COURSE he was a business student.

Christ, the business school should have lost its accreditation for graduating this tool.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tommy-bruce/4/31/850

• Locked thread