Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Now do one with the Recut dialogue.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This comic made my day. Bless you Pope Guilty wherever you are.

My pacifism run has gotten to LaGuardia. I had tranquilize four Dobermans with my baton so far, but other than that it's been smooth sailing.

Well, except for the quicksave fiasco. Never put all your Game Eggs in the same Save Game File Basket. I reflexively quicksaved after I let three terrorists know where I was. My last savefile other than that was five maps ago. On top of that my chest was dangerously yellow. Every time I loaded one of them dropped me within three seconds. Luckily I was able to strategically run away like a little girl and after twenty seconds they figured I was somebody else's responsibility.

"Well, we've done all we could. He's Alpha-Team's problem now."
"We have more important things to do."
"You mean the ten square yard foot patrol?"
"...yeah."

Also there's nothing quite like running full sprint towards a sniper and shoving a riot prod in his ribcage before he can finish his exclamation of "Who was that? Some guy in a coat..."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got that from the D&D politics thread, sorry.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We're through the looking glass here people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

What a mane.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

What a Greatsword. I think that's the term.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Start Deus Ex, pick realistic difficulty, no reloading, no saving, see how far you get before you die.

I was doing alright until a terrorist saw me in the bunker you rescue Gunther from, I hid behind a door, he ran through, my shotgun blast missed, his pistol didn't. Headshot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've thought about doing different runs of the game, but invariably I always end up doing the ol' Batman run and having a loving blast the entire time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

Start Deus Ex, pick realistic difficulty, no reloading, no saving, see how far you get before you die.

I was doing alright until a terrorist saw me in the bunker you rescue Gunther from, I hid behind a door, he ran through, my shotgun blast missed, his pistol didn't. Headshot.

The problem with this is the game will occasionally crash so you need Biomod's autosave system.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem with this is the game will occasionally crash so you need Biomod's autosave system.

I've... never had it crash on me on my system, granted I use the DirectX 10 renderer but still.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I keep running into a bug where Jock's helicopter never spawns to take you out of the level after you talk to the Illuminati guy when you go back to New York under martial law.

It's really irritating.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I keep running into a bug where Jock's helicopter never spawns to take you out of the level after you talk to the Illuminati guy when you go back to New York under martial law.

It's really irritating.

Oh God, they got to Jock! :ohdear: He's working... for them now

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's really irritating.

Ah, I ran into this on the Ultimate run: it's because you aren't carrying any explosives. You're about to go and blow up the tanker, and if you haven't got explosives, the game prompts you to go and speak to Smuggler. This happens regardless of whether you've spoken to Smuggler before on this run. Jock won't appear until you do.

(Fortunately for the Ultimate run you don't actually need to buy anything.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've... never had it crash on me on my system, granted I use the DirectX 10 renderer but still.

I've had it crash on The Nameless Mod a bunch but that's probably because of the Nameless Mod's general bugginess/unoptimization.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I have this really weird bug where the boat from Liberty Island during the first mission never lets you activate it to take you to the next mission

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The most fun I've had with the game, other than the standard sprinting around unkillable with the dragon tooths sword, is going full heavy weapons. Pity about the inventory size because I've barely ever used the flame thrower

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I have this really weird bug where the boat from Liberty Island during the first mission never lets you activate it to take you to the next mission

Man that's a classic complaint and no mistake

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Grandmaster.flv posted:

DRM trollin you son

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

drat son that there is a vintage bug if I've ever seen one.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

99 problems but missing audio files ain't one

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

That's probably my favorite ancient drm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Accidental DRM at that

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
And it was all because of a bad rip.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
yeah, rip

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I had to 'Flatlander Woman' Navarre on my pacifist run. I threw grenades at her for forever trying to get her to run out the door. I don't even know how I thought I was going to get deadmeat Miguel and an unconscious Manderley past her.

I was able to get Gunther unconscious in my first play through but it took the majority of a night's worth of play. I had to alternate between cloaking and kiting him around the room after being burned alive and shot full of holes more times than I care to remember, but he eventually stopped attacking and started running, which is when I baton'd him to a peaceful conclusion.

The reason I bring this up is because I was hoping Anna would be the same way. I was hoping if I pumped her full of enough tranquilizer and beat her in the lower back enough times she'd go down but every time I tried it was just a slaughter. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. I found out that if you want to kill her without using the kill-switch just toss a LAM at her when she runs up to start the dialogue. She explodes as soon as JC says "Take your best shot."

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

What a shame.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Not that anyone cares, but I've 'saved' Lebedev, Manderley, and Maggie Chow.

Lebedev's sleeping off the tranquilizer I shot in his eye over at Smuggler's...

Manderley's being kept under surveillance at the Ruminous Path compound (I gave him a soda for when he woke up)...

And at first I couldn't decide where to put Chow. If I left her at Versalife she'd probably be killed by an exploding Universal Constructor; if I left her at her apartment she might've been killed for incompetence/liability purposes (or she might continue to be a thorn in the good guys' side); and if I left her with Tong or Chen she'd probably be sold into slavery or tortured to death. So I went a third route and locked her up in the police armory instead (I gave her a soda too).

Try talking your way out of THAT one Chow!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

MrSlam posted:

Manderley's being kept under surveillance at the Ruminous Path compound (I gave him a soda for when he woke up)...

fanks for gettin him in

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Not that anyone cares, but I've 'saved' Lebedev, Manderley, and Maggie Chow.

Lebedev's sleeping off the tranquilizer I shot in his eye over at Smuggler's...

And at first I couldn't decide where to put Chow. If I left her at Versalife she'd probably be killed by an exploding Universal Constructor; if I left her at her apartment she might've been killed for incompetence/liability purposes (or she might continue to be a thorn in the good guys' side); and if I left her with Tong or Chen she'd probably be sold into slavery or tortured to death. So I went a third route and locked her up in the police armory instead (I gave her a soda too).

Try talking your way out of THAT one Chow!
Problem: they're gonna raid smuggler when you send the emergency broadcast, so Lebedev's probably going to get arrested by UNATCO troopers.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

double nine posted:

Problem: they're gonna raid smuggler when you send the emergency broadcast, so Lebedev's probably going to get arrested by UNATCO troopers.

If there's one guy who can hide someone and get them out of some place secretly in a reasonable amount of time without anyone finding out, it's a guy who's first, last, and only name is Smuggler. Hopefully he'd be paranoid enough to move him as soon as I left New York the first time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MrSlam posted:

If there's one guy who can hide someone and get them out of some place secretly in a reasonable amount of time without anyone finding out, it's a guy who's first, last, and only name is Smuggler. Hopefully he'd be paranoid enough to move him as soon as I left New York the first time.

what I'm saying is you should have dumped his rear end behind the mirror (maybe with a rebreather and some snacks). :)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

double nine posted:

some snacks. :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MrSlam posted:

I was able to get Gunther unconscious in my first play through but it took the majority of a night's worth of play. I had to alternate between cloaking and kiting him around the room after being burned alive and shot full of holes more times than I care to remember, but he eventually stopped attacking and started running, which is when I baton'd him to a peaceful conclusion.
On normal difficulty, a single GEP to the foot (because you can just about target one by leaning out without triggering the conversation) will put Gunther almoooooooost within the range of minimal health that triggers the runaway response. A few more assault rifle bullets do the trick.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
How does the game react if you do that? Does he reappear somewhere else? Or do you just never see him again anyway?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The game thinks he's dead and the plot treats him as such.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Rule of thumb is that, once you get to Anna at the end of the UNATCO escape, the game stops giving a poo poo whether someone was knocked out or was killed and will always treat them as dead for plot purposes.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

But you'll know. You'll always know that you murdered a real fictional UNATCO series of numbers and letters. He had a wife and kids, hopes and dreams...

That hobo you ran over in Twisted Metal 2? He'd pick wildflowers in the vacant lots and drop them off at the local convent in a bouquet every Sunday during mass.

Those mook knights in Shovel Knight? They were only following orders. When an Enchantress imbues the land's deadliest warriors with ungodly power, are you going to argue with them on principle?

That Psycho who's head you keep shooting off in Borderlands? He was a penal miner on Pandora because he was falsely accused of Aggravated Manslaughter, Grand Theft Spaceship, and Third Degree Creative Sodomy, all of the evidence of which was doctored due to a vast reaching conspiracy. He used to read storybooks to orphans.

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Carrying an unconscious guy through the game for a laugh is fine but worrying about what would "really" happen to a character if you left them in a certain place seems a little bit weird.