Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

For the last 2 nights my roommate watching Netflix has destroyed my internet connection. It's a 50mbps connection and he normally watches Netflix all of the time while I'm playing games etc, but all of a sudden the second he turns it on it drops the speed by about 40-45mbps on all of my devices except my PS4 which drops down into dial up speed (the wifi is awful on that thing) rendering it useless. This doesn't seem normal. Any idea what could be going on?

How are you and him connected to the router? If you're all using wireless, he might be doing something that reduces the overall wireless throughput, which then drops the speed anyone else can use the wireless even more.

stubblyhead posted:

There's a commemorative stamps coming out soon in the US honoring Batman, and it includes four different incarnations of the Batsignal on a round stamp. My wife and I were talking about it the other day, and she's certain there have been a lot of other non-rectangular stamps throughout the years. I'm sure there have been some, but I can't think of any and wasn't able to find any past examples. Does anyone know when there was a US stamp that was not rectangular?

According to this article from some stamp nerds, the USPS issued its first circular and pentagonal stamps for the 2000 stamp expo: http://www.psestamp.com/articles/article2563.chtml

These are what the pentagon ones looked like http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1&cmd=1&tid=2037578
And this is what the circular one looked like http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1&cmd=1&img=&mode=1&pg=1&tid=2037580

The circular one was a stamp for $11.75 which has got to be one of the higher denominated stamps ever issued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

bvoid posted:

Great, now I'm going to be seeing this phrase everywhere.

EDIT: Is this the same phenomenon as when you buy a new car, and you start seeing your car literally everywhere?

No that is the Rockstar Effect

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bvoid posted:

Great, now I'm going to be seeing this phrase everywhere.

EDIT: Is this the same phenomenon as when you buy a new car, and you start seeing your car literally everywhere?

That's because when you have a particular car the Matrix has to load it into memory anyway so it just inserts it into traffic rather than loading a different car model. It's more efficient.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

The circular one was a stamp for $11.75 which has got to be one of the higher denominated stamps ever issued.

Probably, stamps with a face value of more than a few dollars are pretty uncommon. There was a commemorative stamp for Hoover Dam issued in 2008 for $16.50, and this year there was a USS Arizona Memorial stamp at $19.99. The post office also distributes duck stamps with a face value of $15, but they're for hunting licenses rather than postage. Incidentally there were two round holiday stamps issued last year as well, one of which was literally on the first row of the stamps page at their online store.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Magic trick question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fGc5vhF6SM

I'm fairly sure the cutting in half trick is the lady pulls her legs through and the feet are animatronic and fold down (you can see the assistant fiddling near the feet at the start and end of the routine).

However I have no clue how the assistant appears behind the curtain at the beginning. I've looked up a few ways of how this sort of thing is done (creeping in at just the right angle/perspective) and none of them seem they'd work here. How did they do this?

No he's not actually a wizard.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cowboy Mark posted:

Magic trick question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fGc5vhF6SM

I'm fairly sure the cutting in half trick is the lady pulls her legs through and the feet are animatronic and fold down (you can see the assistant fiddling near the feet at the start and end of the routine).

However I have no clue how the assistant appears behind the curtain at the beginning. I've looked up a few ways of how this sort of thing is done (creeping in at just the right angle/perspective) and none of them seem they'd work here. How did they do this?

No he's not actually a wizard.

spyyder9761 year ago

on the first curtain rise to show his feet, she's already out of the platform beneath and standing behind him, his feet hiding hers; she simply moves to his side as he rises it the 2nd time

edit: on further careful viewing, watch the video at 25 seconds in. You can see a black shape very swiftly move upwards at the bottom of the screen. She is in fact lying sideways underneath the platform from the very beginning of the routine. You can see the black shape beneath the little stage he is standing on blocking the light reflection, but when she is on the stage the black shape is gone and the reflection can be seen fully.

double edit: at 21 seconds in, look at the felt mat he is standing on. There is nothing on it. Then at 28-29 seconds, a little toggle or something is falling down and can be seen lying on the mat. So I guess a part of the apparatus involved in getting her up really quickly.

edit the third: move over sherlock holmes

Jeza fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 2, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
legs lady is incredibly flexible, anyway the box that goes over her legs has a hollow fake legs thing that goes over her actual legs, you can actually see it just as they're putting it on.

the fake legs in the bottom compartment are why that part of the box is carried in position and then rotated over her by the assistant.

when legs lady is perpendicular to the audience she folds her legs up besically over her stomach, then wehn she's moved parallel again you can see she's suddenly thicker in the area she tries to conceal with her hands.

to undo the trick is simply the reverse of this.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Medical question for research into a piece of fiction:

What's the in-hospital recovery process like for someone whose eye has been irreparably damaged by a jagged metal object?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Pants posted:

What's the in-hospital recovery process like for someone whose eye has been irreparably damaged by a jagged metal object?

In what country, in which time, and what ethnicity and social caste are the patient?

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

baquerd posted:

In what country, in which time, and what ethnicity and social caste are the patient?

Let's go ... medieval England, white, and let's say lesser nobility.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Is there any way to keep email correspondence completely private?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ham Pants posted:

Let's go ... medieval England, white, and let's say lesser nobility.

Basically, remove the metal, the eye remnants, and basically hope not to die from infection.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

ladron posted:

Basically, remove the metal, the eye remnants, and basically hope not to die from infection.

Would they stitch the eyelid shut?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ham Pants posted:

probably, yeah, as I vaguely recall a story about some sultan who ordered his son be blinded, but the son demanded to do it himself, and later the sultan/caliph/whatever regretted his decision and had the stitches taken out to see what could be done about the eyes, and it turned out the son had not really blinded himself, just stitched his own eyelids closed.*

*From a Ripley's Believe It or Not book I read on the shitter when I was like 10, so...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Ham Pants posted:

Probably. Suturing open wounds was known by that period, although it might not have been super common. Based on your region, it would likely have been performed using sheep gut as the suture. Unfortunately they weren't knowledgeable about sterilization, so uh it would likely get fairly gross. Hope your character has a good immune system our is really lucky...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

socketwrencher posted:

Absolutely not. The only thing that can offer that is things that provide an email-like inbox function on top of thoroughly non-email communication protocols.

Look for a client that supports this protocol for something that approaches that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-Record_Messaging

There are several good options listed in the article.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You can also encrypt it with like PGP or something, but the solution depends what you're trying to do and who you are trying to keep it private it from.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

socketwrencher posted:

or just make up two completely random email addressees and use those for correspondence - the e-version of burner phones. I'm sure carnivore or whatever would catch you, tho, if you were discussing your vile anti-freedom plots.

Maybe use a pen and paper and mail it?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Ted Levine played Buffalo Bill (Jame Gumb) in Silence of the Lambs and he spoke with a weird voice, is that a regional accent or something, are there more of those voices out there?
I noticed on The Bridge, which he's also in, has another guy with a weird voice.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Absolutely not. The only thing that can offer that is things that provide an email-like inbox function on top of thoroughly non-email communication protocols.

Look for a client that supports this protocol for something that approaches that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-Record_Messaging

There are several good options listed in the article.

Interesting- thanks. Also appreciate the link.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Xandu posted:

You can also encrypt it with like PGP or something, but the solution depends what you're trying to do and who you are trying to keep it private it from.

I'd like to correspond by email with someone without anyone (including the government) being able to read it, obtain it, or trace it. Thanks.

By the way, nothing illegal is involved in any way.

socketwrencher fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 3, 2014

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

ladron posted:

or just make up two completely random email addressees and use those for correspondence - the e-version of burner phones. I'm sure carnivore or whatever would catch you, tho, if you were discussing your vile anti-freedom plots.

Maybe use a pen and paper and mail it?

Two random emails still leave a trail that leads to both parties.

I like sending letters but the other party is in a place with spotty mail service.

Thanks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

Interesting- thanks. Also appreciate the link.

Try sharing an email account and using saved drafts. Both parties can see the modifications to the draft but they won't be transmitted by the mailer daemons.

:nsallears:

:nsa:

:fishmech:

:nsamad:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

No that is the Rockstar Effect

The Rockstar effect is seeing a particular car everywhere until you need one.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

syscall girl posted:

Try sharing an email account and using saved drafts. Both parties can see the modifications to the draft but they won't be transmitted by the mailer daemons.

:nsallears:

:nsa:

:fishmech:

:nsamad:

I remember hearing of two public figures who were having an affair doing this. Don't recall if the email drafts were the reason they were caught.

May give this a try. Thanks.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a single-outlet power socket in my kitchen that'd be perfect for setting up a charging station for my phone, tablet, kindle, & a bluetooth speaker so I can listen to music while cooking. I've got a Nexus 7 which is very picky about volts/amps for charging & I'm sure the others are too; anyone have a recommendation for a 4-5 port USB wall charger that can handle a decent amount of power across devices?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

I remember hearing of two public figures who were having an affair doing this. Don't recall if the email drafts were the reason they were caught.

You're probably thinking of David Petraeus and Paula Broadwell. They probably would not have been caught had she not flipped out on someone she thought might have also been having an affair with him.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

stubblyhead posted:

You're probably thinking of David Petraeus and Paula Broadwell. They probably would not have been caught had she not flipped out on someone she thought might have also been having an affair with him.

That sounds right. It's interesting how it's so hard to keep anything secret.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a way to get google calendar to show how many times a repeating event has happened or how many are remaining and then update the event name? I teach a lot of private classes and it would be nice to see at a glance how many more lessons I have with each student. What I'd like to see is "Bob (19/20)" for my second-last lesson with Bob.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

socketwrencher posted:

I'd like to correspond by email with someone without anyone (including the government) being able to read it, obtain it, or trace it. Thanks.

By the way, nothing illegal is involved in any way.

If you are trying to keep things secret from the US government specifically you are fighting a losing battle. The Edward Snowden leaks makes this blatantly obvious.

If you just generally want to hide stuff from your girlfriend because you are cheating on her, have a look at this link. . Keep in mind though, that no encryption is unbreakable if somebody has enough resources and enough time.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
For amusements sake, you actually could have secure communication if you hand-delivered a set of one time pads and encrypted your conversations that way. A lot of effort but it would work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For amusements sake, you actually could have secure communication if you hand-delivered a set of one time pads and encrypted your conversations that way. A lot of effort but it would work.

Do you mean writing stuff on post its and then setting them on fire after you read them? That would be pretty secure.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
No, a one time pad is an encryption method where basically if you can deliver the set of keys securely (mail would probably be fine but to be sure you'd want to hand deliver) you only use each key one time, so it can't effectively be cracked by anyone who doesn't have the key. Here's the wiki that explains it better than I could.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I write my e-mails in invisible ink

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I don't mean to bruise your ego, but what makes you think anyone cares enough to try?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

If it isn't illegal, the only other thing I can think of is unbelievably filthy obscene roleplay. In which case CC: me in.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stubblyhead posted:

I don't mean to bruise your ego, but what makes you think anyone cares enough to try?
It's a question of resources. Who are you hiding this from? Are they going to give up after 15 minutes of trying to break your code? Are they going to sic a hundred cryptologists and $25 billion worth of supercomputer on you? Are they simply going to kidnap you and beat you with a rubber hose until you give up the key?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Can you make Chrome shortcuts check for and switch to the existing session rather than create a new window under Windows 8?

Basically, I'm after a start-menu shortcut that behaves like the pinned taskbar button. I don't use Win8 myself but I had to do some emergency malware adjustments after someone decided to run this fun exe that came with a font they wanted, and they're now pissy at me because I broke Chrome.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Deadclown posted:

If you are trying to keep things secret from the US government specifically you are fighting a losing battle. The Edward Snowden leaks makes this blatantly obvious.

If you just generally want to hide stuff from your girlfriend because you are cheating on her, have a look at this link. . Keep in mind though, that no encryption is unbreakable if somebody has enough resources and enough time.

Reasons for asking this question:

1. Just wondering if it was actually possible. Seems like the answer is no.

2. Wanted to communicate privately with someone who is deeply concerned with privacy rights.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. Encryption may be an option.

Thanks to all for the additional comments and suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are electric razors at all recyclable? My wife's great-uncle has maybe 20 old ones that are just sitting around, likely broken, and we'd like to get rid of them.