Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Modern banning is so weird though. They banned Zenith because of its interaction with an otherwise or mostly unplayed card, and then just left it there? Why not ban Arbor instead?

I also still don't understand why they bothered to unban bitterblossom.

Samael posted:

Well, we all know that MTGS is toxic, in fact, is there an internet forum related to magic that isn't completely retarded? I mean apart from here which has it's moments but is relatively decent.
Goodgamery is really good if you avoid certain parts of it, but it is descended from misetings and has a really old guard crowd so it might be kinda bleh for people from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Goodgamery is really good if you avoid certain parts of it, but it is descended from misetings and has a really old guard crowd so it might be kinda bleh for people from here.

I'll check that out, thanks!

So is Jeskai Ascendancy good in standard also? I mean there isn't as many 1 drop spells that cantrip in the deck as in modern, so I'm a little pessimistic on whether it would work.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
they better not ban glittering wish, the 5c Glittering Paruns deck is hilarious (and bad)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
holliday needs to learn to press F2

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

a dozen swans posted:

they better not ban glittering wish, the 5c Glittering Paruns deck is hilarious (and bad)

Why would they ban wish instead of ascendency? I mean, is that actually a likely outcome?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Why would they ban wish instead of ascendency? I mean, is that actually a likely outcome?

It would be a stupid, useless idea that would not even solve the problem of the turn two combo kill, so 50/50.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

It would be a stupid, useless idea that would not even solve the problem of the turn two combo kill, so 50/50.

Pretty much this. Wizards has a history of a "throw out the baby, keep the bathwater" approach to banning.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

First Bass posted:

Pretty much this. Wizards has a history of a "throw out the baby, keep the bathwater" approach to banning.

except for necropotence :v:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

except for necropotence :v:

Necropotence was the example I had in mind; don't read too deeply into the metaphor :v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Samael posted:

So is Jeskai Ascendancy good in standard also? I mean there isn't as many 1 drop spells that cantrip in the deck as in modern, so I'm a little pessimistic on whether it would work.
In a world where Anger of the Gods is common and the quality of durdles is so low, I doubt it.

Plus I don't like a win condition of going off and pumping a bunch of dudes that can get chumped. Presumably you could cram in Nylea or Archetype of Anger, or maybe some Messenger Speed. Are there any better overrun type things that might actually fit in that deck?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

mango sentinel posted:

In a world where Anger of the Gods is common and the quality of durdles is so low, I doubt it.

Plus I don't like a win condition of going off and pumping a bunch of dudes that can get chumped. Presumably you could cram in Nylea or Archetype of Anger, or maybe some Messenger Speed. Are there any better overrun type things that might actually fit in that deck?
The Convoke Overrun?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

if you go off, you'll bounce every nonland permanent they control, so chumpers don't matter. controlling decks are also less of an issue, since they can't put a clock on you quickly.

the deck's worst nightmare is aggro, and aggro seems to be dying a screaming death right now.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Modern banning is so weird though. They banned Zenith because of its interaction with an otherwise or mostly unplayed card, and then just left it there? Why not ban Arbor instead?

They banned zenith because it had the most potential to be abused and limited what they could print in modern legal sets.

Bitterblossom should of never been banned in the first place.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Why should Bitterblossom be banned?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Zenith wasn't banned only because of Dryad Arbor, but also because if your deck had green in it, you had no reason not to run GSZ.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Samael posted:

Well, we all know that MTGS is toxic, in fact, is there an internet forum related to magic that isn't completely retarded? I mean apart from here which has it's moments but is relatively decent.

I haven't been on it in a while, but goodgamery.com was pretty good.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Nathan Holliday is playing modern Jeskai Ascendency on stream right now if people want to see how crazy the deck is.

http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

I played a version of this on Monday and oh boy it is bonkers. You can play a lot of redundant cards and the looting ability on Ascendancy lets you pitch them when you're done with mana guys/lands.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jorath posted:

I'm posting this here as my posting was deleted from MTGS. See if you can guess why.

I'm interested in the answer, and particularly, what rule causes it.

Hidden information includes the deck which the other poster said. I'm gonna guess an argument erupted because you used girl names and this is part of the feminazi conspiracy to not use he and boy names as a default.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna be really disappointed if WUR-Tang clan doesn't become a name.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I hate hate HATE that we're getting Limited coverage from SCG this weekend. I want more Standard... :emo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I hate hate HATE that we're getting Limited coverage from SCG this weekend. I want more Standard... :emo:

why is it limited?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

why is it limited?

GP Orlando, no open series.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Drafted tonight, guy next to me pulls a Sarkhan and a Foil Bloodstained Mire. It was a good night. Except for the part where I got blown out.

Also Jeskai Ascendancy at my LGS is 75c. I do think it will get banned but it might be worth a quick flip?!?!

Just curious, did he just get up and withdraw at that point? I'd have just thanked the store and kindly withdrawn with my packs at that point. Can't really do much better than that.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I can't decide which color to accompany black in my lovely Agent of Fates deck. White has the cantrip +1/+0 for W, plus a few other heroic guys. Red has Dragon Grip and Crowd's Favor, but both of those would just make the opponent sac whatever Agent was about to kill. Rabblemaster + Agent plus some first strike stuff seems most balanced but what goes best to stay competitive on turns 1-2? Monastery Swiftspear + thoughtseize?

OssiansFolly posted:

Just curious, did he just get up and withdraw at that point? I'd have just thanked the store and kindly withdrawn with my packs at that point. Can't really do much better than that.

Yeah, actually playing Magic is pretty tedious. Gimme those shineys.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Recess Rapist posted:

I can't decide which color to accompany black in my lovely Agent of Fates deck. White has the cantrip +1/+0 for W, plus a few other heroic guys. Red has Dragon Grip and Crowd's Favor, but both of those would just make the opponent sac whatever Agent was about to kill. Rabblemaster + Agent plus some first strike stuff seems most balanced but what goes best to stay competitive on turns 1-2? Monastery Swiftspear + thoughtseize?

Its not that its tedious, but if you are just at a local store you will likely get more value out of taking the lucky draw and playing again another night. If it was a major event with a decent prize pool then playing it out may be worth it. With those 2 cards you can practically buy a box and throw your own draft...

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If it from the same pack you just go buy a new one and pocket the one you opened

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I've been playing with and against the Jeskai Ascendancy deck and I don't think it's broken. I think it's an insanely reliable combo engine and easily a tier 1 deck but I'm getting a lot of wins because people don't know exactly the right way to go about disrupting the combo and also haven't allocated the proper sideboard slots to the deck since it's so new. It gets hurt bad by sideboard cards that are relevant against plenty of other archetypes but kind of steamrolls anyone without efficient targeted enchantment hate. I like anytime the metagame gets shaken up significantly so I hope they don't ban it out.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Holiday said the Jeskai deck feels really close to Eggs, which seemed true. It was fun to watch go off for a few games but it looks miserable to play and to play against, so hope it is banned.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How can I do an either-or text search on magiccards.info? I'm trying to search for all the cards in my color identity that Mwonvuli Beast-Tracker can find.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Terrible Horse posted:

Holiday said the Jeskai deck feels really close to Eggs, which seemed true. It was fun to watch go off for a few games but it looks miserable to play and to play against, so hope it is banned.

Oh it's much easier to play than eggs. It's almost like playing combo elves except the combo is just one elf.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Recess Rapist posted:

White also has Gods Willing and Feat of Resistance. That will let you counter any removal spell aimed at your agent and make them sacrifice a creature in turn. Fabled Hero is a good standalone Heroic target, since with any spell at all he gets huge, and Eidolon of Countless Battles makes your dudes gigantic. Seeker of the Way also combines very well with a heroic deck, and Soldier of the Pantheon is randomly excellent against some decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What would the standard version of the ascendency deck use for cantriping? Or would it mostly rely on the looting ability plus treasure cruise to not run out of fuel?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Rinkles posted:

What would the standard version of the ascendency deck use for cantriping? Or would it mostly rely on the looting ability plus treasure cruise to not run out of fuel?

The versions I've seen run 0-mana artifacts like Astral Cornucopia and Briber's Purse, along with a creature hit by Refraction Helix, to create an infinite/infinite attack.

Same problem; without Ascendancy in play, you're just running a bunch of crappy creatures and do-nothing spells.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Probably some combination of Dragon Mantle, Defiant Strike, Stratus Walk, Nylea's Presence, Fate Foretold, Karametra's Favor, Chosen by Heliod.

You probably don't really need more than the first four though, that plus the looting plus some actual card draw should be sufficient.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

LordSaturn posted:

How can I do an either-or text search on magiccards.info? I'm trying to search for all the cards in my color identity that Mwonvuli Beast-Tracker can find.

http://magiccards.info/query?q=c!g+%28o%3Adeathtouch+or+o%3Ahexproof+or+o%3Areach+or+o%3Atrample%29&v=card&s=cname

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LordSaturn posted:

Use parentheses and "or"
(deathtouch) or (reach) or (trample) or (hexproof)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

No idea how it plays, but this showed up a few days ago.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/valuable-lessons-valuable-lessons-standard-has-a-real-combo-deck/

Mana dorks + untap triggers make it work, you just continually draw multiple cards per turn, sometimes you don't even need to loot.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is the version I was looking at and it seems really weak but apparently most people are running Retraction Helix to try and bounce the other dude's creatures to get in. Dunno how well this works.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Dunno how well this works.

probably really poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It probably works very well (for the deck, not sure how well the entire thing works), since otherwise your gigantor creature is likely to get chumped.

retraction helix + multiple untaps isn't the worst sweeper ever, I guess.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread