Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Nippon koku

Well "Nippon" is just the japanese word FOR japan so whatever

"Koku" is literally a measurement of rice (3.6 Koku is 1 cubic metre). It's a term used as part of an archaic tax system from the japanese feudal period. Why is it being used as part of a name for a country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Land of Japanese Cocks

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anticheese posted:

No one ever gives New Zealand a fair shake on maps. :(

Don't you see? We have been spared. Be thankful.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're being sarcastic.

You know that thing that happens when friends introduce you to other friends in some social situation where everyone seems normal and talking about work/hobbies/etc and then one of them chimes in with something tangentally related that just blindsides you with how inappropriate it is for the situation?

I want you to imagine a short, fat guy rambling about how kawaii his girlfriend looks when she's wearing her cat ears while the entire rest of the room is silent and giving him death stares.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The gently caress am I reading. Well gee Fast Eddie, you sure are upholdig the family-friendly image.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Annointed posted:

The gently caress am I reading. Well gee Fast Eddie, you sure are upholdig the family-friendly image.

Gonna have to be more specific there

gallery
Aug 4, 2014

HapiMerchant posted:

Nippon koku

Well "Nippon" is just the japanese word FOR japan so whatever

"Koku" is literally a measurement of rice (3.6 Koku is 1 cubic metre). It's a term used as part of an archaic tax system from the japanese feudal period. Why is it being used as part of a name for a country?

"Koku" can also mean country, and it is sometimes used in names of countries, for example the United states of America is "Amerika gasshuukoku".

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

gallery posted:

"Koku" can also mean country, and it is sometimes used in names of countries, for example the United states of America is "Amerika gasshuukoku".

Oh, so the name was copy/pasted from Wikipedia.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's the really hosed up thing about them, they weren't something created by the malatora guy, they'd been around with creepy internet people for many years before him and continue being around now.

Little known fact! Malatora guy is still around, still crazy, and thinks he's a chakat now.

quote:

who I really am, also named Tigerstripe. Well, that's what I feel like the most (and some people do call me "Tiger" IRL). Yeah, I'm a lifestyler: not at all happy with being human, and I'll change it in a heartbeat ASAP. The human species just doesn't fit my personality. I'm actually part of a transhumanist research project that aims to do precisely that... so someday, a few decades from now, I could actually change form and become a real chakat. Well, it's a possibility... and that's good enough for my interest.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Well that and that is what the country is referred to in its own language and in a formal way.

It's not technically incorrect it's just kind of dweebish.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Holy hell these are some of the worst borders I've ever seen in my life. And I've seen Tom Clancy maps.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Little known fact! Malatora guy is still around, still crazy, and thinks he's a chakat now.
I was hoping that he'd give up on the whole "Taygon" thing... but not like this.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

bucketmouse posted:

You know that thing that happens when friends introduce you to other friends in some social situation where everyone seems normal and talking about work/hobbies/etc and then one of them chimes in with something tangentally related that just blindsides you with how inappropriate it is for the situation?

I want you to imagine a short, fat guy rambling about how kawaii his girlfriend looks when she's wearing her cat ears while the entire rest of the room is silent and giving him death stares.

I enjoy these mental exercises.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"I'm part of a transhumanist research project" is a hilarious way to describe the Malatora thing. Or masturbation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Kingdom of Desert.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

What the gently caress is a chakat, anyways? Do I even want to know?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Every time I look at it, it gets better.

Bunch of fake countries, and then India and Pakistan.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

brocretin posted:

Furry-Cat-Centaur, somehow dumber than regular centaurs

DarkFleetOne
Nov 11, 2012
I believe I live in hickstan northamerica (hksna), I am morbidly curious what that means. Also what kind of dumbass doesn't know we would conquer mexico in an instant?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

DarkFleetOne posted:

I believe I live in hickstan northamerica (hksna), I am morbidly curious what that means. Also what kind of dumbass doesn't know we would conquer mexico in an instant?

I looked it up, it's the Holy Christian Kingdom of North America.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Florida: known for its holiness, and monarchy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

brocretin posted:

So you know what a centaur is? half man half horse from greek mythology? Well a chakat is half cat furry hald horse sized cat body, so a cat body that then as a furry feline humanoid body up from that with hands.

They make no sense

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you know what a centaur is? half man half horse from greek mythology? Well a chakat is half cat furry hald horse sized cat body, so a cat body that then as a furry feline humanoid body up from that with hands.

They make no sense

You forgot the part where they are super smart, have psychic powers (that make everyone love them), and hermaphroditic!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Didn't TVTropes have a huge section on pokegirls?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You forgot the part where they are super smart, have psychic powers (that make everyone love them), and hermaphroditic!

And can lactate at will.

The rest of that stuff is standard wish-fulfillment race stuff, but the lactation has to be the creator's specific fetish.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Kinda weird that they don't call Japan the Dai-Nippon Teikoku. At least their conquest of east Russia would make sense, because the name implies a return to Imperial jingoism, and longer makes are more impressive, especially when they're written in glorious Japanese. But I'm probably putting in more thought into it than the author did.

Anticheese posted:

Didn't TVTropes have a huge section on pokegirls?

No such thing as means that not only did they have a pirate for pokegirls, they also had one for that one Channel Awesome fanfic where everyone was a prostitute and that weird universe where it's like the X-men only with easy more gender changing, because :flashfap:. As well as pirates for such family friendly things as panty shots and assorted fetishes.

Fast Eddie's purge still left a lot of these pages intact last time I checked.

DarkFleetOne
Nov 11, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Thank you friend. Otherwise, obviously TVtrope might draw lines based on fact, Imagine if fetishists drew lines based on confederate ambitions, we may have to respect them. New Zealand is isolated, anything could fuckin happen.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Red Metal posted:

I wanna know what the Holy Christian kingdom thinks of half-cat half-horse abominations against the Lord

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Don Gato posted:

Kinda weird that they don't call Japan the Dai-Nippon Teikoku. At least their conquest of east Russia would make sense, because the name implies a return to Imperial jingoism, and longer makes are more impressive, especially when they're written in glorious Japanese. But I'm probably putting in more thought into it than the author did.

No such thing as means that not only did they have a pirate for pokegirls, they also had one for that one Channel Awesome fanfic where everyone was a prostitute and that weird universe where it's like the X-men only with easy more gender changing, because :flashfap:. As well as pirates for such family friendly things as panty shots and assorted fetishes.

Fast Eddie's purge still left a lot of these pages intact last time I checked.

I feel certain that many of the pages came to be AFTER the purge as well. He doesn't realize (or chooses to ignore) that "the purge" wasn't the one time be-all,end-all fix and that actually even beginning to repair the stupidity of the site would require near constant vigilance as well as a million other things he lacks.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sweeperbravo posted:

I feel certain that many of the pages came to be AFTER the purge as well. He doesn't realize (or chooses to ignore) that "the purge" wasn't the one time be-all,end-all fix and that actually even beginning to repair the stupidity of the site would require near constant vigilance as well as a million other things he lacks.
Well, duh, they got rid of rape* and pedophilia**, what more do you prudes want?

*ahahahahahaha

**ahahaHAHAhaha

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Fast Eddie wants his wiki to simultaneously be a serious informative site that people respect instead making fun of and a chill place where a bunch of friends have fun without a bunch of rules ruining their fun. He doesn't seem to see how those two goals might be in conflict.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, duh, they got rid of rape* and pedophilia**, what more do you prudes want?

*ahahahahahaha

**ahahaHAHAhaha

if you want proof that he did get rid of some pedophiles you can just visit the offsite troper hangouts

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

if you want proof that he did get rid of some pedophiles you can just visit the offsite troper hangouts

Unless someone explicitly says, on site, "I AM A PEDOPHILE", they can remain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tangentially related to Tv Tropes. World Fantasy Awards is planning to remove HP Lovecraft's likeness from its trophy because the guy was a racist asshat. An understandable move considering current issues in fiction with the portrayal of women and ethnic groups.

Naturally, people are upset about this, and want to invoke Death of the Author to save their precious stories. Though how that has anything to do with the likeness of Lovecraft adorning a trophy, I don't know. I pointed out to some people that they wouldn't do the same thing if it was, say, Orson Scott Card's face on a trophy, because most people nowadays know he's a homophobic jackass. But apparently being dead gives you amnesty for being a racist. I don't see people defending Ezra Pound for being a fascist anti semite who condemned America and chummed it up with Mussolini just because he's dead.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, it could be argued the difference between Lovecraft and OSC is that the latter lives in an age where he should really know better. "It was just a different time", and so on and so forth. I don't agree with that(especially since Lovecraft was extreme even for his day), but many probably see it that way.

Now Death of the Author just does not make any sense at all, considering it wasn't ever subtext, it was straight up text.

Call of Cthulhu, Lovecraft's most popular story posted:

the prisoners all proved to be men of a very low, mixed-blooded, and mentally aberrant type. Most were seamen, and a sprinkling of negroes and mulattos, largely West Indians or Brava Portuguese from the Cape Verde Islands, gave a colouring of voodooism to the heterogeneous cult. But before many questions were asked it became manifest that something far deeper and older than negro fetishism was involved. Degraded and ignorant as they were, the creatures held with surprising consistency to the central idea of their loathsome faith.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

The actually clears out a lot of them! :unsmith:
:smith:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Wasn't there one guy who wasn't banned despite hitting on a 15 year old girl, who was banned for "stirring up drama" when she called him out?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Don Gato posted:

Wasn't there one guy who wasn't banned despite hitting on a 15 year old girl, who was banned for "stirring up drama" when she called him out?
Yes, that was "Colonel McBadass" (:allears:). He was the "condom full of Crisco" in the original thread title.

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, it could be argued the difference between Lovecraft and OSC is that the latter lives in an age where he should really know better. "It was just a different time", and so on and so forth. I don't agree with that(especially since Lovecraft was extreme even for his day), but many probably see it that way.
Exactly. Aside from the racism being expressed directly in his fiction (looks like you beat me to the punch there), the guy was extremely racist for the 1920s. It's impressive.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Now Death of the Author just does not make any sense at all, considering it wasn't ever subtext, it was straight up text.

Let's see what the TVTropes page has to say here:

Creator/Lovecraft posted:

Lovecraft's stories featured not so much fear of people of different (non-White) skin colour, but distaste aimed at "mental, moral and physical degeneration" (a concept prevalent at the time) due to in-breeding, interbreeding with non-human creatures, or even immoral acts such as cannibalism. In his stories such degeneration could afflict the lower classes ("The Horror at Red Hook") and inbred rural communities ("The Dunwich Horror", "The Shadow over Innsmouth") as well as upper class families ("Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family", "The Rats in the Walls", "The Lurking Fear"). It's interesting —perhaps even humorous —to note that "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" was not inspired by fears of miscegenation, but by Lovecraft's own discovery that his great-grandmother was... Welsh.

Not racist. :colbert:

I think a lot of this stems from the modern white person viewpoint that anything less than explicit racism isn't racism at all. I mean, it's not as if Lovecraft's stories about the half-human offspring having significant moral deficiencies could be thinly-veiled allegories for race mixing, right??

IIRC in "Arthur Jermyn" that character finds out he's the great-grandchild of a white ape that lived in Africa; despite being white Lovecraft spent several paragraphs describing the "negroid" traits of the white ape and the horrible effect it had on the Jermyn family's visage.

quote:

On the third appendage, Lovecraft's stories, especially the Dreamland stories, featured protagonists with dark skin of which he speaks quite highly, and Lovecraft was a great admirer of the civilizations of Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. He differentiated between people of "noble" appearance and heritage and civilized behaviour contra "degenerate" individuals or tribes, independently of ethnicity or skin-colour.

Ah, he approved of the "good ones", that also makes him not racist.

quote:

He thought that immigrants to the U.S. should keep their original language, dress and customs, not discard them and try to become "Americanized", because this made them look vulgar.

I read this, then imagined Lovecraft typing florid paragraphs on tumblr complaining about reverse cultural appropriation or something, and started laughing like crazy.

Also that Lovecraft trophy looks like what I imagine the cultists in his stories would have worshipped. Does that mean that anyone defending it is a degenerate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Venusian Weasel posted:

I think a lot of this stems from the modern white person viewpoint that anything less than explicit racism isn't racism at all. I mean, it's not as if Lovecraft's stories about the half-human offspring having significant moral deficiencies could be thinly-veiled allegories for race mixing, right??

Man, that's the thing though, Lovecraft was really, really explicit about it.

On The Creation of Niggers posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

You can't bullshit out of that. Everyone's favorite horror writer nobody actually reads was a racist. Sorry, tropers.

• Locked thread