Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Experto Crede posted:

I'm running Mint 17 (x64) and I'm having issues with chrome-stable crashing quite frequently.

When I ran it through terminal when it crashed I got this output:

EDIT: Wow, that code chunk was huge. Here it is on a pastebin

The error (and the fact that google play music keeps playing even when the browser locks up) makes me think it's just the UI locking up, but I'm not sure what's causing it.

Anyone have any idea?

Im using Mint 14, but I had similar issues with chrome. In my case, they were related to the flash player.

Then I switched from chrome to chromium and never had another crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im using Mint 14, but I had similar issues with chrome. In my case, they were related to the flash player.

Then I switched from chrome to chromium and never had another crash.

Already using pepper.

I'll have to look at this when I'm near a real computer and I'm not phonepostin, but it looks like it may be opengl problems, probably with accelerated flash What's your GPU and what drivers are you using?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

evol262 posted:

Already using pepper.

I'll have to look at this when I'm near a real computer and I'm not phonepostin, but it looks like it may be opengl problems, probably with accelerated flash What's your GPU and what drivers are you using?

Using haswell hd graphics, with the xserver-xorg-video-intel drivers.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I want to create a personal AWS account to learn with. I know a lot about general cloud concepts but know almost nothing about AWS itself. What's the cheapest way to go about this?

I assume I start with 2 of the smallest servers, but what else do I need to know so I don't end up with a $200 credit card bill at the end of the month?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
They have a free tier that lasts a year as a trial IIRC. You can run a micro instance 24/7 without any cost in the free tier. I'd start with that and go from there. I don't really think you need multiple servers, but it can't hurt to bring a few up and down (you pay at least for 1 hour of usage though IIRC, but with the micro instances its dirt cheap).

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for the info. The only reason I was thinking about multiple servers was to play around with load balancing and maybe create a simple web -> app -> DB thing.

If anyone else has more tips I would love to hear em!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hackedaccount posted:

I assume I start with 2 of the smallest servers, but what else do I need to know so I don't end up with a $200 credit card bill at the end of the month?
A micro instance is around $10/month if you run it 24 hours a day, plus the cost of storage (which obviously is charged whether the instance is running or not). It's slow and awful, but will teach you everything EC2-specific that you need to know. Power it off when you're not using it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

In the process of installing CentOS 7 on a new(old) server and I discovered that RHEL no longer packages the forcedeth driver(for nVidia network cards) in the default kernel, and therefore neither does CentOS.

Apparently not the e1000 driver either, and a few more older, but very common, net drivers

What the gently caress? Every single server I work on uses one of these 2 drivers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that sucks but your hardware is really old dude.

anyway elrepo has kmod-forcedeth and kmod-e1000 for EL7

e: e1000 not for el7 :(

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 3, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

that sucks but your hardware is really old dude.

anyway elrepo has kmod-forcedeth and kmod-e1000 for EL7

e: e1000 not for el7 :(

Yeah, I found it, but even my gigabit network card on a 3 year old motherboard uses forcedeth, so its not like its only on decade old hardware(I found out setting up a refurb sun x4140 I picked up real cheap as a quick and dirty home lab virtualization host).

I was just shocked to see that it wasn't even included, I would assume the module would be there but not loaded in any way. Its only 47k.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RFC2324 posted:

(I found out setting up a refurb sun x4140 I picked up real cheap as a quick and dirty home lab virtualization host).

On this note, is there a port of the Solaris diagnostic tools for linux? specifically prtdiag and cestat/cediag. Those are ever so much more useful for keeping tabs on sun hardware than anything I have ever found for linux.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

hackedaccount posted:

One thing that caught me out is they charge you if you have an elastic IP that isn't assigned to anything (they don't want them to go to waste).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

RFC2324 posted:

In the process of installing CentOS 7 on a new(old) server and I discovered that RHEL no longer packages the forcedeth driver(for nVidia network cards) in the default kernel, and therefore neither does CentOS.

Apparently not the e1000 driver either, and a few more older, but very common, net drivers

What the gently caress? Every single server I work on uses one of these 2 drivers.

The e1000 module is in RHEL7?

$ modinfo e1000
filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000/e1000.ko
version: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The e1000 module is in RHEL7?

$ modinfo e1000
filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000/e1000.ko
version: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI

my mistake, misread e100 as e1000.

https://access.redhat.com/documenta...Removed_Drivers

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah, well e100 is also in elrepo fortunately.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

hackedaccount posted:

Thanks for the info. The only reason I was thinking about multiple servers was to play around with load balancing and maybe create a simple web -> app -> DB thing.

First 12 months http://aws.amazon.com/free/

I used the free tier for an entire year at no cost when I first wanted to get a feel for things. Its plenty to set up and tinker, if you just have a single instance of each thing it doesn't cost anything. If you are just experimenting and not running an actual website you can shut the instances down when you aren't using them and that might allow you to run multiple things during testing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've started learning C++. I store all my .cpp files in a folder on an external hard drive. I compile them using g++, but when I try to execute the output (./a.out) I get a "permission denied" message. The only way I can get my program to run is if I copy the .cpp file to my internal hard drive and compile there. Then it works. Why is it like this?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Your system may be configured to mount external discs with the "noexec" flag, which is a modicum of protection against people executing random poo poo they got off their friend's USB stick. Run "mount" to see what flags are applied to that drive.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If I compile a .cpp file that's on my external drive, then copy the file to my Home folder on my internal drive, I still get the "permission denied" message. It is only when I compile the file when it is on my internal drive that it works properly.

edit: I have to type chmod 755 a.out

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
I'm having a hell of time getting Bluetooth to work on my laptop.

Ubuntu 14.04
Dell Inspiron 15
broadcom BCM43142

The drivers I installed didn't do anything.

I'm getting this:

$ dmesg

quote:

[ 15.391461] Bluetooth: can't load firmware, may not work correctly
[ 15.465455] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 17.398396] Bluetooth: hci0 command 0x1003 tx timeout

Anybody able to help? Or should I just buy a bluetooth dongle?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm having a syslinux issue trying to make a bootable rescue USB. Here's the situation:

Partition 1: primary, ext2, bootable, contains extlinux and extlinux configuration and boot images for HDT, memtest, etc
Partition 2: primary, iso9660, dd'd from an openSUSE rescue image.

The MBR is the standard syslinux mbr.bin.

The syslinux.cfg contains:

code:
label iso
  menu label Boot embedded ISO
  kernel /boot/chain.c32
  append boot 2
which should chainload the iso embedded in partition 2.

However, when I try actually booting it, I get an "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" error.

I know that the embedded iso is an isohybrid image created with --partok, because if I mark partition 2 bootable instead, it boots right into the rescue system with no trouble whatsoever.

What am I doing wrong here? How do I correctly chainload an isohybrid image embedded in a partition? Alternately, is there any way I can patch the partition table in memory to change which partition is marked bootable and then re-run the MBR? I vaguely remember grub having a "makeactive" command that did something like that.

I know I could just copy the contents of the iso image and then use syslinux/extlinux to make the ensuing partition bootable, but ideally I'd like to have it working with the isohybrid image, so I can update it just by dd'ing a new image over the partition.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How do I use "$ ssh -X <user@machine> <text editing program> <file to edit>" ? I can't do a web search for it because nothing comes up for "ssh -x remote execution" and so forth.

I want to use a text editor on my desktop to edit some text files on my beaglebone, because it sucks using the terminal to copy and paste between different documents. I'd rather use gedit or SublimeText.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

reading posted:

How do I use "$ ssh -X <user@machine> <text editing program> <file to edit>" ? I can't do a web search for it because nothing comes up for "ssh -x remote execution" and so forth.

I want to use a text editor on my desktop to edit some text files on my beaglebone, because it sucks using the terminal to copy and paste between different documents. I'd rather use gedit or SublimeText.

It looks like Sublime Text has a plugin for editing over SFTP, it's $20 though. Another option might be to use WinSCP to edit files w/ Sublime Text, I think it had a feature for that. Or maybe a Sublime Text build job that rsyncs your directory over ssh to the beaglebone. The way you described is probably doable too but it sounds like it would be annoying if you are working with multiple files.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

reading posted:

Notepad++ has a plugin for editing over an sftp or ftp connection, works great. I use it for tweaking my scripts all the time.

You don't even have to install it, its built into the default install, under Plugins -> NppFTP.

Edit: to actually answer your question, it would be:

code:
ssh -X <username@hostname> "<full text of command you would issue>"
The quotes pass the command directly to your shell, but you do need an X server running on your local machine, if you are using a windows box.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 4, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

reading posted:

What you're trying to do is X forwarding. I'm guessing what you're trying isn't going to work though. What you'd be doing is executing a program on the remote computer, in this casea the beaglebone, and showing the graphics on your desktop. But it sounds like what you're trying to do is use an editor on your desktop to edit a file on the beaglebone, which won't work. You'll need an editor installed on the beaglebone, but from looking at what that is, I'm guessing that's not possible.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

What you're trying to do is X forwarding. I'm guessing what you're trying isn't going to work though. What you'd be doing is executing a program on the remote computer, in this casea the beaglebone, and showing the graphics on your desktop. But it sounds like what you're trying to do is use an editor on your desktop to edit a file on the beaglebone, which won't work. You'll need an editor installed on the beaglebone, but from looking at what that is, I'm guessing that's not possible.

Uhh what? I use emacs for remotely editing but from a cursory google search it looks like there are plugins for both sublime and gedit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

reading posted:

Are you using Ubuntu? If so open Nautilus (file browser) and put this in the address bar "sftp://user@device_ip_address/" (without quotes), then hit enter. Log in once with ssh in a terminal first just to make sure you can access the devices and update known_hosts.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

reading posted:

Edit sshd_config and set AllowXForwarding On. Make sure to restart sshd. This is on the remote server.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alternately, install sshfs on your workstation and just mount the folder from the Beaglebone locally. Then you can open the files with whatever local tools you want.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

Are you using Ubuntu? If so open Nautilus (file browser) and put this in the address bar "sftp://user@device_ip_address/" (without quotes), then hit enter. Log in once with ssh in a terminal first just to make sure you can access the devices and update known_hosts.

This worked great, thank you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

So I'm having a syslinux issue trying to make a bootable rescue USB. Here's the situation:

I know that the embedded iso is an isohybrid image created with --partok, because if I mark partition 2 bootable instead, it boots right into the rescue system with no trouble whatsoever.

:ms:

I was actually not booting what I thought I was last night, and it wasn't a --partok image. After making it one with isohybrid and recreating the stick everything went fine.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In Linux Mint, my external hard drive is mounted in /media/bifford. I thought it would be mounted in /mnt. Why is this so? What is /mnt for?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wrote some opinions on Shellshock: http://blog.mecheye.net/2014/10/shellshock-will-happen-again/

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Baron Bifford posted:

In Linux Mint, my external hard drive is mounted in /media/bifford. I thought it would be mounted in /mnt. Why is this so? What is /mnt for?

The standard answer is supplied by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard documents: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

FHS 2.3 posted:

/media : Mount point for removeable media
Purpose

This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.

Rationale

Historically there have been a number of other different places used to mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom. Placing the mount points for all removeable media directly in the root directory would potentially result in a large number of extra directories in /. Although the use of subdirectories in /mnt as a mount point has recently been common, it conflicts with a much older tradition of using /mnt directly as a temporary mount point.

FHS 2.3 posted:

/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem
Purpose

This directory is provided so that the system administrator may temporarily mount a filesystem as needed. The content of this directory is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which any program is run.

This directory must not be used by installation programs: a suitable temporary directory not in use by the system must be used instead.

My interpretation: /mnt exists so that whenever you're rearranging your filesystem layout, salvaging data from a dying HDD, or doing anything else that requires mounting filesystems manually, there will be at least one mount point that is guaranteed to be available for you, so you don't need to create (as many) whimsically-named mount-point directories all over the place and then forget to remove them when you're done.

/mnt is separate from /media so that whatever system is used to automatically mount and unmount removable media won't accidentally gently caress up your temporary mount(s) and vice versa.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Note that /media/ isn't used by the latest udev/systemd for USB media since it's seat-specific and is sort of a security leak to be global, so it's in /run/media/$USER/ instead. The FHS is outdated at this point. But did you expect anything else from the spec that still has /usr/X11R6 ?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

You wrote that moving to a new shell isn't really a solution, but what about removing the dependency of "/bin/bash" from Fedora (the systemd package specifically, I guess)?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What about it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This shellshock stuff has made me realize I don't really get what the shell is.

I mean, I understand that it interprets commands I type in a terminal. I just assumed it's a binary sitting somewhere that something runs when I open a terminal in X or login to a GUI-less machine and that that binary presents me with a prompt and stuff. If that assumption is accurate, I'm not sure how I get from that information to it being a vector for remote people to run code another machine.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well, you already know the language that the interactive shell uses. So why not build your system out of this language? It's a convenient way to plug multiple programs together!

A shocking amount of programs actually believe this is a good idea and do this. They are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

If that assumption is accurate, I'm not sure how I get from that information to it being a vector for remote people to run code another machine.
The login shell is specified, per-user, in /etc/passwd. It's fine for /bin/bash to be the default shell for interactive users, but there's two problems:

The first is when daemon/sevice accounts use /bin/bash as a login shell and have a mechanism for remote login that spawns it. For example, under ssh with command restriction, ShellShock can be used to bypass the restriction.

The second, and more important, is when /bin/sh is symlinked to /bin/bash. Many programs call /bin/sh as a default shell to do various operations, including system(3) libc function which, in many cases wouldn't need to call a shell but does anyways. Specifically, some HTTP daemons call system(3) to execute a CGI script, which passes un-sanitized headers to the script via environment variables, which itself is fine except BASH goes and executes them.

The latter point is particularly contentious as it's been recognized for a while that, while BASH is a decent interactive shell, it's kind of crummy for scripting unless you need BASH-specific features. Debian and Ubuntu long switched /bin/sh to DASH which doesn't suffer this bug. Others haven't because of the tendency for shell scripts to specify /bin/sh as an interpreter, but otherwise contain BASHisms that break if DASH is used as /bin/sh.