Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wowitsstephen
Sep 19, 2014

Wooten posted:

Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

I agree in Toto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wooten posted:

I went to a local fair with my daughter.

Deerfield-Fair-2014-8 by cclunie, on Flickr

Deerfield-Fair-2014-4 by cclunie, on Flickr

Deerfield-Fair-2014-9 by cclunie, on Flickr

I really like the sense of motion in the first photo. In my opinion, the blur and colours combine to make it even more bright and cheerful - which is great for the subject! I do wish the grey stripe on the lower left of the image wasn't there; I think it grounds the image unnecessarily.

For the second photo, I'd have cropped out the side of the basket on the lower left. There's an obvious carnivalesque theme between these photos, but I don't feel it as much in this second photo.

The third photo is interesting, and again very cheerful (outside of the ride). It probably was out of your control but I'd have preferred everything inside of the ride to be crisp and unblurred. It's a cool concept though; I dig it.

Gotta Run by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Sheepscape by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Fraction fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 30, 2014

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I think both of these are just too wide. The photo of the dog running at you is, well, a photo of a dog running at you. If it had been very tight on the dog, it could have been an interesting study, but I'm not really getting where you're going with it as is. Some very strange distortion around the edges, btw.

The lighting on the sheepscape is much more interesting, but again we're very wide. That center sheep is interesting, but the oddles of sky isn't really.

I got up very early and took this picture:

early riser by thetzar, on Flickr

These were also pretty recent:

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Shiruan posted:

Gazelle in front of Kilimanjaro. This I'm looking to print large on canvas for a friend, hence the possible excessive silver toning.

Really like this one, large print would be sick. I think it has good progression of size/scale from the gazelle all the way to the empty part of the sky.

I feel like these are two of the better pictures I've taken (even though the composition is almost as trite as the Moulton Barn), considering them as print candidates, probably just for my apartment or something. Is there anything you guys would do different in post-processing to improve the images?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

a pond in montana
by difficult listening on flickr

excellent birds

all or nothing

I wish this guy had a different head. The body position is kinda fun and I dig fabric caught in mid-swing but his face is an expressionless void and it totally sucks the life out of the picture. The other is a little better if just by virtue of being more visually interesting, though if I had to pick a favorite from that series of photos it'd be this one.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine

I really like this picture. I would sit there and hang out awhile if I encountered this spot. the rocks and moss are really interesting to me and I like the water slow exposed like that. I don't like the second one as much.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

single-mode fiber posted:

I feel like these are two of the better pictures I've taken (even though the composition is almost as trite as the Moulton Barn), considering them as print candidates, probably just for my apartment or something. Is there anything you guys would do different in post-processing to improve the images?

In this one I would lower your highlights and desat the yellows, and maybe the greens too, just a bit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Try to avoid cropping out fingertips like that, it was the first thing that popped out at me when I saw the shot.

Edit: Here's a shot I did recently for a singer/songwriter. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like it.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 3, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I like the composition, but I really with I could see more of the left her face, especially if this is a promotional shot. This isn't to say that I don't like the dramatic lighting, but question its application/extremity for the purpose of this photo.

shisha by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Shot this on my friend's camera and he was kind enough to send me the file. Rooftop party in low light, since I was using his fancy Sony a7 I got to play with the high ISO, which was great because I wanted the fast shutter speed to catch details in the smoke. I'm not crazy about the big dark empty space to the right of his head though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can only see that cloud as a giant santa claus style beard.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

I can only see that cloud as a giant santa claus style beard.

All I can see:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

triplexpac posted:

Try to avoid cropping out fingertips like that, it was the first thing that popped out at me when I saw the shot.

Edit: Here's a shot I did recently for a singer/songwriter. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like it.

I like the composition and idea, but that's super grainy and half her face is lost in the shadow.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Either go full dark on the left side or dont.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

hi liter posted:

Shot this on my friend's camera and he was kind enough to send me the file. Rooftop party in low light, since I was using his fancy Sony a7 I got to play with the high ISO, which was great because I wanted the fast shutter speed to catch details in the smoke. I'm not crazy about the big dark empty space to the right of his head though.
I wouldn't say it's a big dark empty space. You've got some lines in there. Maybe try drawing them out a bit more?

I think both of these would benefit from something that sticks out from the background. They're both pleasing backgrounds but nothing is really going on in the foreground.

As for me, I've finally started toying around in Lightroom. Not much but these were the first two pictures I finished and I think they took some OK shots and made them a bit better.

I'm not sure how I feel about the focus, depth of field, or color on this one. The depth of field would have looked better if it were wider. The color is not very strong.
Panama 079 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Those lights to the middle right are a bit distracting, however, there is another community there so, let it be?
Panama 078 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

huhu posted:

I think both of these would benefit from something that sticks out from the background. They're both pleasing backgrounds but nothing is really going on in the foreground.

The downside of taking photos from a train is that you're basically taking nothing but nice background shots.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If you're not leaping out of the train you're not committed enough to your art imo

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I recently got a DSLR and started shooting again after only using a 35mm SLR when I was a kid and a smartphone/point-and-shoot for years. I've been trying to shoot more nature and landscape stuff as I never really did it, and feel that most of mine come out kind of lovely. A friend and I walked through a park on Friday, and I got a couple that might be worth looking at. I wasn't aiming for anything specific on these, other than good composition.

Just a goose by notactuallyawookie, on Flickr

I like the way the muddy water of the creek looks almost golden in the sunlight. I'm contemplating cropping it a bit more on the right side, but I haven't made up my mind. Birds are assholes and like to move around a lot.

A doe, a deer, a female deer by notactuallyawookie, on Flickr

I had a lot of trouble with focus on this, as I was shooting between some gaps in the trees and brush. I couldn't move much for fear of spooking her. I though the light came out nicely even if the focus is a bit off.

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 5, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Citizen Z posted:

I like the way the muddy water of the creek looks almost golden in the sunlight. I'm contemplating cropping it a bit more on the right side, but I haven't made up my mind. Birds are assholes and like to move around a lot.
The crop is already pretty tight, if anything I'd say some more air on the right and perhaps above the bird would be preferably. The reflection is also nice. In the same situation I might have tried for a vertical composition focusing on the reflection, you're right that the combination of golden light and muddy water makes for some great tones.

Citizen Z posted:

A doe, a deer, a female deer by notactuallyawookie, on Flickr

I had a lot of trouble with focus on this, as I was shooting between some gaps in the trees and brush. I couldn't move much for fear of spooking her. I though the light came out nicely even if the focus is a bit off.

I don't like the blown highlights on her fur, it's plain too bright. You should probably also crop the picture to make your subject more clear, but apart from that you seem to have caught the right moment.

I was lucky having the camera up right when a flock of pigeons took flight all around, but making them stand out at all in the busy scene took some really unconventional processing, strongly lowering contrast. Does this actually work, or is it just awkward?

Is this interesting at all?

Really strong contrast in this scene, not sure if it's good to have the land, sky and surfer this dark. (Shot with pol filter.)

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Citizen Z posted:

I also like this one quite a bit. Really nice colors and just a nice picture all around.

nielsm posted:

I was lucky having the camera up right when a flock of pigeons took flight all around, but making them stand out at all in the busy scene took some really unconventional processing, strongly lowering contrast. Does this actually work, or is it just awkward?

I don't think this one works that well. There are pigeons, yes, but not enough of them to make the shot.

Two from me:

My father and brother eating cake:
DSCF4603-Edit-Edit by SAFistLips, on Flickr

A friend:

DSCF4860-Edit by SAFistLips, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

I love this; especially the tone. I want her face to be sharper though, the haze on the photo is great but I feel like it would pop more if you did a slight highpass on her face and especially the eyes. Also some more highlights in her hair might be nice.

---

Re-processing some shots from a trip to Italy.

montorio III by bgibb187, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Thoogsby posted:

I love this; especially the tone. I want her face to be sharper though, the haze on the photo is great but I feel like it would pop more if you did a slight highpass on her face and especially the eyes. Also some more highlights in her hair might be nice.

---

Re-processing some shots from a trip to Italy.

montorio III by bgibb187, on Flickr

I really like this, did you do some dodging on the castle?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Geektox posted:

I really like this, did you do some dodging on the castle?

Just bumped the exposure on the cathedral and the smaller stone houses on the right.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Thoogsby posted:

Just bumped the exposure on the cathedral and the smaller stone houses on the right.

They do look a little bit... glowy.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

huhu posted:

As for me, I've finally started toying around in Lightroom. Not much but these were the first two pictures I finished and I think they took some OK shots and made them a bit better.

I'm not sure how I feel about the focus, depth of field, or color on this one. The depth of field would have looked better if it were wider. The color is not very strong.
Panama 079 by esa_foto, on Flickr

This looks like it could be a really nice spot but it's really underexposed, that's why there's not much color or anything too interesting going on. If you try to save it in Lightroom you're probably just going to get a bunch of grain and distortion. I'd try going back earlier or on a clearer night where you'll have more light and can either take a longer exposure or have some sun to work with.

---

street shot from a trip to rome:

green doors by bgibb187, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nielsm posted:

The low contrast looks terrible. I dunno if the shot is interesting enough to keep anyway, but if you do I'd turn the contrast back up.

nielsm posted:

I like the different colours and scenes reflected in each window but they don't really stand out very well. Try boosting the exposure and saturation a little (don't overdo it) and see if that helps. Also it needs straightening.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 14, 2014

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby posted:

street shot from a trip to rome:

green doors by bgibb187, on Flickr

Digging this, but it looks like a prime candidate for a square crop. I'd ditch the door on the right, which I don't think adds a huge amount to the composition, to end up with what looks like a pretty sweet mix of cool pipes, greenery, nasty tags, a weirdly shaped window and some great cobblestones. Lots of interesting features adding to the juxtaposition in the shot... But that door on the right isn't one of them.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008

nielsm posted:

Really strong contrast in this scene, not sure if it's good to have the land, sky and surfer this dark. (Shot with pol filter.)

First one feels like too tight of a crop. I feel like you're trying to emphasize the lion head as well as the bars, but without a little breathing room it feels a little awkward. The hard line of the light stone at the bottom is very jarring too - could you try a square crop set further back to help frame the entire scene more?

The second one is just really dark and muted right now. I think also the parking lot and light poles in the background take away from what the focus should be?

Here's a couple I took out on the Sonoma County coast a little bit ago - not sure how I feel about the processing on them.

IMG_0042.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_9628.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The first one is nice. Looks like a still from The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. The flare and dust is a little off-putting though.
The composition in the second one isn't working. Most of the frame is out of focus, and the subject isn't prominent enough to balance that.

Also: people in this thread stop posting tiny drat thumbnails, here is what you do:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

David Pratt posted:

Also: people in this thread stop posting tiny drat thumbnails, here is what you do:

I thought 800 wide was the max we're supposed to post here.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Totally in contrast to the other poster - I absolutely love this. I think the composition and light works beautifully. I'd genuinely have a print of this on my wall.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Fraction posted:

Totally in contrast to the other poster - I absolutely love this. I think the composition and light works beautifully. I'd genuinely have a print of this on my wall.

I agree that it is great. A brilliant use of three alternating layers: the bright subject, dark earth and then the bright sea.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Fart Amplifier posted:

I thought 800 wide was the max we're supposed to post here.

Rules thread: * Maximum width or height of any image should not exceed 1024 pixels.

They updated it a little while back.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

If I were doing post here I'd be tempted to tone down the brightness of the rocks in the lower right. I understand they light's authentic because they're out of the shade the rest of the photo is in, but that doesn't read that way for me in the frame and the difference in light levels draws my eye away from the water where it should be.

20140906-P9060335 by Setzu, on Flickr

20140906-P9060513 by Setzu, on Flickr

I was 'commissioned' to take some frame-worthy shots of these little darlings before they got too old and ugly. This is my first crack at any kind of pre-planned outdoor shoot where I was able to choose the time and place, so I'm interested in feedback.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

FistLips posted:

My father and brother eating cake:
DSCF4603-Edit-Edit by SAFistLips, on Flickr

The composition is well done and gives a good sense of context but your brother looks like an amputee and I can't unsee it.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

These feel very cluttered to me, especially near the top where the pictures get very busy with branches. If it were me I'd get a lot closer to the water and fill the entire frame with it, and not even bother with the trees.

So anyways, I moved to Japan. When I'm not working I've been trying to get out and shoot some photos.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Obama 2012 posted:

20140906-P9060335 by Setzu, on Flickr

20140906-P9060513 by Setzu, on Flickr

I was 'commissioned' to take some frame-worthy shots of these little darlings before they got too old and ugly. This is my first crack at any kind of pre-planned outdoor shoot where I was able to choose the time and place, so I'm interested in feedback.

Great colors! Is that actual sunlight, or flash?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

thetzar posted:

Great colors! Is that actual sunlight, or flash?

That's all natural light. I have a flash, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I agree with the colors, but it looks a little dark to me, especially the first one. Plus, that blade of grass to the left is distracting, but I wonder if moving it out of the way would make that flower distracting, removing which would make the picture too boring?

The second one is much more interesting, I think, because it gives some context to the subject.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

The car is ugly as poo poo but I really like the tunnel as a frame. And the contrast of high-tech building materials and the weeds is great.

Here are some of my recent shots:

bounce sw by arnesander, on Flickr

makro-3 by arnesander, on Flickr

wald im wald by arnesander, on Flickr

I'm really not sure about the framing in this one. I love to see the little trees grow inside of the old, dead tree stump but I'm not sure if this is really the best angle. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd like a bit more space around the last one, particularly at the top and bottom. You shouldn't be cutting off part of the subject of the photo like that. I'm not sure about the tree in the background either, as it has a greenish hue and the leaves are a bit lost against it. The colours are lovely aside from that.

Also, post higher res god drat.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 26, 2014