Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this thread's getting way too catpissy

i'm closing it for a day or two, until then enjoy this complementary pug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

okay shut up about not-GW

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's relevant to the topic though :smith:

By topic I of course mean GW's amazing punt of their good reputation and market dominance. I mean, if you don't want people to do things besides post death pool bets than that's one thing, but the thread would probably be ten or fifteen pages back in that case.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
GW Death Pooch 2014-2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

JerryLee posted:

It's relevant to the topic though :smith:

By topic I of course mean GW's amazing punt of their good reputation and market dominance. I mean, if you don't want people to do things besides post death pool bets than that's one thing, but the thread would probably be ten or fifteen pages back in that case.

Well i suppose i could clarify it further to be "don't mitigate my ~posting experience~" ie "don't be a gibbislord".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

GW Death Pooch 2014-2015

I hope you appreciated the complementary pugs, we here at Forums Terrorist Sewage Processing Ltd. take our obligation to quality service very seriously.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Forums Terrorist posted:

Well i suppose i could clarify it further to be "don't mitigate my ~posting experience~" ie "don't be a gibbislord".

GO BACK TO GBS GUYS

*closes thread because his favorite game company got insulted*

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
This is still the second best 40k thread on the forums, right behind the gbs skelly one.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

GO BACK TO GBS GUYS

*closes thread because his favorite game company got insulted*

behead those who insult PP

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Forums Terrorist posted:

behead those who insult PP
pp doo doo it is a bad game company

i dont really know much about PP as a company

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tekopo posted:

pp doo doo it is a bad game company

i dont really know much about PP as a company

Lets fight for several pages, preferably with gifs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Exinos posted:

This is still the second best 40k thread on the forums, right behind the gbs skelly one.

I would agree except they just had hurf durfs regarding why anyone would have problems with GW's (or any tabletop game for that matter) female models. So it's still up in the air imo. But the slam sector dork and skellies are rad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Calico Noose posted:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
40k is better designed than Warmachine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Calico Noose posted:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
RE: That Warmahordes vs 40k price stuff.

Historical player here pointing out that you could buy like a dozen armies for the price of 1 40k/warmahordes army.

:smugdog:

Seriously though, why does price matter? you shouldn't be in any hobby that puts a serious financial burden on you.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 3, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Numlock posted:

Historical player here pointing out that you could buy like a dozen armies for the price of 1 40k/warmahordes army.

Seriously though, why does price matter? you shouldn't be in any hobby that puts a serious financial burden on you.

turns out nerds will keep spending money on this because they spent money on this poo poo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Calico Noose posted:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Numlock posted:

Yes, but then I'd be a historical player.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Numlock posted:

Isn't that why price matters? Being able to participate in a hobby without it putting a serious financial burden on you?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's the cruel fate that awaits us all. There are no old hams, they become the others, the historical players. This is the natural order of things.

Wait, what are you doing in my queue ACW soldiers? I'm too young. It's not my time yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

fool_of_sound posted:

40k is better designed than Warmachine.

Can you elaborate on this unconventional opinion that I've never encountered?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Isn't that why price matters? Being able to participate in a hobby without it putting a serious financial burden on you?

No, his point is, gamers feel entitled to play games they hate and they can't afford, so instead of playing another game, or just not playing games and doing something else, they instead willfully engage in things they don't find fun and can't afford because their identity depends on it (or they are addicted).

(note, by "they" I probably mean "we")

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pyrolocutus posted:

But you can have GW rules and Generic Historical Prices (and variable quality)!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

From what I've heard from historicals players Warhammer Ancients was legit (so of course GW killed it).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I'm going to be blunt and say that if either Warhammer 40K/Fantasy or Warmachine/Hordes will be a 'serious financial burden' for you, the other will be as well. Both their initial buy-in and long-term investments are in similar enough ranges that, if saving a couple hundred bucks will mean whether or not you can afford it, you probably can't really afford either.

In the end, price matters only in terms of 'value', which is about as subjective of a criteria as 'fun' (although in this case, the two values are closely linked, yet still based entirely on the player's perception).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And if 28mm is still too much for you, there is always the Warmaster Ancients/Medieval series for ya. 10mm is dirt cheap and some of it looks quite nice! Or if people with funny hats and lousy guns is more your style, there is the Napoleonics rules series GW did as well. And let's not forget their historical boats game.

Its a shame GW killed them all because these excellent games don't sell minis (their minis anyways). :commissar:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

moths posted:

Can you elaborate on this unconventional opinion that I've never encountered?

Random assault distances are good and standardized special rule mechanics are boring and bad.

Also, historical minis are cheap because they're (fort he most part) ugly and low detail. This does matter to a lot of people.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fool_of_sound posted:

standardized special rule mechanics are boring and bad.

there are like 50 pages of USRs in the main rulebook

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I'm still not sure whether this is serious or not.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Random assault distances are good...

Disagree, I think they are bad.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Random assault distances are good and standardized special rule mechanics are boring and bad.

Dude, try a bit harder with the trolling here. Like, put in more effort then GW does with their rules at least.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Saalkin posted:

Dude, try a bit harder with the trolling here.

No.

And to be clear, no I am not serious. I play Warmachine and have never touched 40k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You bring up an interesting point, though. Does anyone legitimately prefer 40k or WHFB rules to ... well anything else?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

moths posted:

You bring up an interesting point, though. Does anyone legitimately prefer 40k or WHFB rules to ... well anything else?
What's within the envelope of 'anything else'? Wargames, games, dares, russian roulette, suicide pacts etc?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
8th edition will have random shooting distances

Forging The Narrative

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

There are many other war-game rule sets that are more broken than 40K or WHFB, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any genuinely awful war-game rules that are as widely popular as GW products.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
9th Edition will have random rolls for armies. Roll something that you don't have? Either buy the model or forfeit the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Presumably wargaming, there are thousands of preferable endeavors to 40k.

Among people who consider it their "favorite game," is it just a matter of never really playing anything else? Like how D&D is the number one RPG of D&D players.

• Locked thread