Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The majority of your argument is pertinent to justification.

K. Waste posted:

To say that this is bleak because we have witnessed people staging violent cruelty to create entertainment ignores the question of whether or not the oppressor deserves any kind of vindication. We are the ones capitalizing on suffering, we are the bad guys.

The filmmakers are only creating this because they think the public wants it. That's a justification, but a poor one, because what they do is legitimately evil and deprived. It doesn't matter if the public enjoys violence and wants their wayward image of primitive people being fulfilled on the screen. The filmmakers are performing wish-fulfillment for a paycheck through horrible and terrible exploitation.

It does says something about the viewers of the movie in general: I watched the movie with an ex-girlfriend because we were going through a binge of "The Most Disturbing Movies of All-Time". I watched it for the shock value. It's one of the messages of the movie, and it is effective. I am a part of the evil filmmakers demographic. This, however, doesn't make me feel good about myself or optimistic. It's supposed to make me feel bad. I guess that's a good thing, but really it's just depressing and makes me feel conflicted.

K. Waste posted:

When we are exposed as hypocrites and sadists and the oppressed are vindicated by their own actions, this is not bleak.

This may the message you interpret behind the actions, but I don't see how this isn't bleak. It may align with the filmmakers intentions, but it's up to the viewer to make his own opinions. I don't think that exposing the fact that the viewers wants to see these things (because not everyone does) makes it less bleak. It makes it worse.

I don't think that victims of rape and murder exacting revenge by raping and murdering is made less bleak just because it's vindicated, or because it's what "the viewer" wants. It's still rape and murder. Would the "savages" have raped and murdered the filmmakers had they not been instigated, pushed to that point? Probably not. But human corruption breeds human corruption. That's not justification, that's life: it's still revenge, it's still evil. I Spit On Your Grave makes a similar argument: is a woman who has been brutally beaten and raped countless times justified in murdering her rapists? Some say yes: capital punishment!, vigilantism!; but in the end, murder is murder, rape is rape, cruelty is cruelty.

K. Waste posted:

We have not earned the right to our progressive liberal self-conception. This is a good thing. The militant oppressed vindicate themselves. This is a good thing.

"We, as a people, are shown to strive for bloodlust in our media, which causes more violence in the world." This is good? Creating a violent movie to show that violent people create violent movies because people watch violent movies--this vicious circle--isn't bleak? Or is it made optimistic because the violent people are brought to justice by violence?

"Primitive people were driven to rape and murder, but it's justified, because they were raped and murdered and exploited." This is a good thing? Or it's made optimistic because they only rape and murder those that raped and murdered them? Isn't it worse that the people, the savages, are possible innocents and don't know any better?

I like Cannibal Holocaust. It's very well made. I think it's a classic of the exploitation genre. This conversation is a good example of that and the ideas it carries and can be discussed. I am excited to get the new special edition DVD that just came out. I think it is one of the most effective horror movies out there. It's able to convey it's ideas by being horrific, depressing, dark, disheartening, grim, sober, dreary, somber, and other definitions of the word bleak.

These are my opinions. You have your opinions. But this is a lengthy and wordy derail from both sides, and it can be continued in a PM, if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We used to have a pretty dece Cannibal Holocaust thread but it probably fell into archives

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Holy gently caress it's just a film, loving lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

We used to have a pretty dece Cannibal Holocaust thread but it probably fell into archives

Yeah, I really liked that thread. Somebody with archives should bump it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is there a list anywhere of what's going up for October? I'm hoping for a slew of good horror movies for my annual 31 day horror movie countdown :dance:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what's going up for October? I'm hoping for a slew of good horror movies for my annual 31 day horror movie countdown :dance:

Not quite comprehensive, but enough to start. Random stuff that caught my eye bolded.

quote:

New Seasons of TV:
The 100 (Season 1) (Available October 22)
Arrow (Season 2) (Available October 8)
The Carrie Diaries (Season 2) (Available October 25)
The Following (Season 2) (Available October 7)
Freakshow (Season 2) (Available October 23)
Gilmore Girls (The Complete Series)
Hart of Dixie (Season 3) (Available October 7)
Hostages (Season 1)
Last Man Standing (Season 3) (Available October 18)
The Originals (Season 1) (Available October 3)
Raising Hope (Season 4) (Available October 7)
Reign (Season 1) (Available October 2)
Sons of Anarchy (Season 6) (Available October 25)
Supernatural (Season 9) (Available October 7)
The Tomorrow People (Season 1) (Available October 9)
The Vampire Diaries (Season 5) (Available October 2)
The Walking Dead (Season 4)

New Specials:
Chelsea Handler: Uganda Be Kidding Me (2014) (Available October 10)
Jay Mohr: Funny for a Girl (Available October 8)
Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra Live (2011) (Available October 15)
Wyatt Cenac: Brooklyn (2014) (Available October 21)

Other movies available:
Alfie (2004)
Annie (1982)
Annie: A Royal Adventure (1995)
Bad Johnson (2014)
Before I Go to Sleep (2014) (Available October 31)
The Boxcar Children (2014) (Available October 3)
Bound by Flesh (2012) (Available October 28)
Breathe In (2013) (Available October 11)
Carrie (2013) (Available October 2)
Charlie Angels: Full Throttle (2003)
Chicken Run (2000)
The Colony (2013)
Cowgirls n'Angels (2012) (Available October 11)
Django Unchained (2012) (Available October 25)
Domestic Disturbance (2001)
Ernest Saves Christmas (1988)
E-Team (2014) (Available October 22)
Finding Forrester (2000)
The Firm (1993)
Galaxy Quest (1999)
Heatstroke (2013) (Available October 11)
Hit! (1973)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) (Available October 22)
In a World ... (2013) (Available October 7)
The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete (2013)
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (2001)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
A Long Way Down (2014) (Available October 9)
Liberal Arts (2012) (Available October 18)
Little Man (2006) (Available October 6)
My Father the Hero (1994)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Please Subscribe: A Documentary About YouTubers (2013)
Rain Man (1988) (Available October 31)
Rescue Dawn (2006)
A Room with a View (1986)
Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
Shane (1953)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Shivers (1975)
Stay (2013) (Available October 15)
Suddenly (1954)
Swelter (2014) (Available October 11)
The Phantom of the Opera (1989)
Team America: World Police (2004)
Three Fugitives (1989)
Tombstone (1993)
The Wedding Planner (2001)
Witching & Bitching (2013) (Available October 14)
Why Stop Now (2012) (Available October 11)
Under the Electric Sky: EDC 2013 (2014) (Available October 2)

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

K. Waste posted:

I'm almost afraid to find out...
It's a (I think Canadian?) western about an outlaw who abducts a woman to rape her... But then can't get it up. So he drags her around the wild west trying out penis cures. A friendship blooms.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Before I Go To Sleep (2014)

That seems a little weird, isn't that movie set for theatrical release in October? Is it going up simultaneously on Netflix?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Shivers? That's a pretty huge one seeing as it's been OOP for ages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember liking Hoop Dreams a lot, a long time ago. Definitely interested to see how it's held up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Watched Blue Ruin while laid up with a cold. That was a really, really good revenge flick. It was a pretty looking movie too. Thanks to anyone who recommended it in here.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Oh nice, new Arrow and new Supernatural? Time to get my cheesy action fix on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Arrow is such a good show ya'll. Really like the stuntwork and fight scenes. Being a fan of the comics helps, but for the most part you don't need to know anything at all. If you liked Smallville at all then this is like a way way way better version of that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Apparently Netflix is in the original movie game now and they'll be starting with a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Michelle Yeoh will be in it. Yuen Wo-Ping will direct.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Apparently Netflix is in the original movie game now and they'll be starting with a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Michelle Yeoh will be in it. Yuen Wo-Ping will direct.

That was already in production with The Weinstein Co., and it'll be released simultaneously in theaters, but I'm sure Netflix still shelled out a lot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

morestuff posted:

That was already in production with The Weinstein Co., and it'll be released simultaneously in theaters, but I'm sure Netflix still shelled out a lot.

Yeah I think I had read about it a while back, but the article I saw today said that the theatrical release will be IMAX only now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leper Residue posted:

Oh nice, new Arrow and new Supernatural? Time to get my cheesy action fix on.

S9 of Supernatural is fun, I should probably rewatch it before S10 comes out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shivers? That's a pretty huge one seeing as it's been OOP for ages.

Shivers is so dope in such a lo-fi low budget way it's amazing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I think I had read about it a while back, but the article I saw today said that the theatrical release will be IMAX only now.

Also all the theater chains are blacklisting it so the only screens in the US showing it will basically be at science centers and aquariums. I think the main reason they're doing the theatrical IMAX release is because Netflix is banned in China and they know that's the largest market for it.

The chains are giving a bunch of reasons why they're blacklisting it, one saying they don't like the idea of people being able to watch a movie on a small screen at home at the same time because that hurts the idea of film or something. That's a crock of poo poo because movies appearing on VOD the same day they're in theaters is actually pretty common these days for smaller movies. They're really just doing it because they're loving terrified of Netflix.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Arrow is such a good show ya'll. Really like the stuntwork and fight scenes. Being a fan of the comics helps, but for the most part you don't need to know anything at all. If you liked Smallville at all then this is like a way way way better version of that.

Here's what you need to know about Arrow. Has it been over three minutes since the last fight scene? Well, it's now time for another awesomely choreographed fight scene to start. This may happen in either the past or present doesn't really matter cause it's gonna be cool.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Shivers is so dope in such a lo-fi low budget way it's amazing.

Also all the theater chains are blacklisting it so the only screens in the US showing it will basically be at science centers and aquariums. I think the main reason they're doing the theatrical IMAX release is because Netflix is banned in China and they know that's the largest market for it.

The chains are giving a bunch of reasons why they're blacklisting it, one saying they don't like the idea of people being able to watch a movie on a small screen at home at the same time because that hurts the idea of film or something. That's a crock of poo poo because movies appearing on VOD the same day they're in theaters is actually pretty common these days for smaller movies. They're really just doing it because they're loving terrified of Netflix.

They're terrified of Netflix, so they're... actively giving business away to Netflix. Huh. Interesting plan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

outy posted:

I don't know what TV you have, but on my Samsung if I press the "info" button on the remote during Netflix playback, a little info panel appears in the top left of the screen with the stream resolution and audio info.

I'm not sure if it's still on there, it was something I found by accident, I think you can search on Netflix and there was some video called something like "Pattern 2997" it let me watch a test pattern video that I think displayed FPS, bitrate, resolution info.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

They're terrified of Netflix, so they're... actively giving business away to Netflix. Huh. Interesting plan.

They're probably trying to scare other movies away from trying a simultaneous release.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

precision posted:

I remember liking Hoop Dreams a lot, a long time ago. Definitely interested to see how it's held up.

It remains one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Along with Shivers, they also added The Town That Dreaded Sundown which is really good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Along with Shivers, they also added The Town That Dreaded Sundown which is really good.

Siiiiiick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I love Shivers, but The Town That Dreaded Sundown is better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And speaking of horror, they just added Guardian of the Highlands, that hideous "Sir Billi" animated feature in which Sean Connery comes out of retirement and instantly regrets it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Arrow is rad. If you watch one show in which the words "earthquake machine" are uttered seriously and without irony on a regular basis, make it season 2 of Arrow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Arrow is rad. If you watch one show in which the words "earthquake machine" are uttered seriously and without irony on a regular basis, make it season 2 of Arrow.

That really is one the great joys of the show, watching how the actors manage to deliver lines with "earthquake machine" in them.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks to whoever posted Tombstone is now on Netflix.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Tombstone is dope as hell and has held up really well.

Since it's October, I've been watching horror movies a lot. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero just got added and I watched it and it was not a good movie. So stupid it was sort of fun, but not a good horror film.

Also watched V/H/S and You're Next, both of which have been up for a while, and those were both really good imo. VHS is one of the better found footage movies I've seen and You're Next is a really well made slasher thriller with some neat twists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started a thread for the October Horror Movie Challenge. It has a list of notable horror movies on Netflix, and everyone's more than welcome to participate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Franchescanado posted:

I started a thread for the October Horror Movie Challenge. It has a list of notable horror movies on Netflix, and everyone's more than welcome to participate.

That is an awesome list. Thanks!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The 70's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland) is back up, in time for Halloween!

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Thanks for posting that thread! Will be participating.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Rampage 2. I don't recommend making the same mistake. That was a really terrible movie. Good job whoever recommended it in the thread, you got me good. It was like watching an edgy nerd ranting on a youtube video for an hour and a half.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just watched Rampage 2. I don't recommend making the same mistake. That was a really terrible movie. Good job whoever recommended it in the thread, you got me good. It was like watching an edgy nerd ranting on a youtube video for an hour and a half.

I genuinely liked the first one, but barely made it through the second.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

God, this really annoys me. I had been gearing up to do my *first* real rewatch of BSG, and I was really excited especially since I'd been casually watching Trek for a while. And what really prompted it was Sonia Saraiya (one of the last few decent critics left at the Onion AV Club, VanDerWerff was initially going to review BSG from scratch before he left) going through and writing some pretty great in-depth reviews for the episodes. She's been doing a good job though and it's just made me really want to rewatch the series for the first time ever.

So, I go to look for it in my netflix list... can't find it... can't find it... where is it... And it's gone. I look it up on google, and yes, BSG is not only unavailable on Netflix but unavailable on any streaming service. Seems a bit silly given that I have access to Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBOgo/Hulu+... And still no freaking BSG, not on any of them. It seems really weird, especially since I could have sworn it was available from Amazon Prime at one point in the last year or two as well.

And you know what the really weird thing is? Now that it's unavailable, I have this much *stronger* urge to watch it because there's something both intriguing and appealing about something that's suddenly unavailable. I had been totally taking it for granted since it had *always* been on Netflix for so long. Now part of me actually kind of wants to drop $100 on a used blu-ray box set of the entire series. I mean, after all, I only ever saw the series on my laptop in standard definition so watching it in blu-ray on my big TV might be worthwhile anyway. See how I'm justifying this to myself already?! And 4 days ago I was totally "meh" about it because I felt like it would be on netflix forever. There's some weird psychology going on here :psyduck:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I can understand where you are coming from. I would try to wait a little longer; it's virtually inevitable that BSG will be streaming again at some point, but we just don't know where/when. Can you really justify buying the series? How many times will you actually watch it? Find some other series to lose yourself in and forget about it for a while :) In my experience, strong consumerist urges like this fade fairly quickly if you can get your mind on something else, and you will probably end up regretting buying anything in the 'manic' phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was holding out for King of the Hill to return to Netflix after it disappeared but I caved and just bought the whole series on Amazon prime instead.

No regrets!

• Locked thread