Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if you are having computer problems you probably should get this since this is designed to fix up computer problems from the inside out, like a vitamin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

if you are having computer problems you probably should get this since this is designed to fix up computer problems from the inside out, like a vitamin

what is it/what does it do? :confused:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

do they have a separate HERS module for non-technical women and children?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

looks like some decoupling and filter caps

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's supposed to reduce the signal to noise ratio according to a product page I found through reverse gis

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
pesky signals getting in the way of my noise

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

it's supposed to reduce the signal to noise ratio according to a product page I found through reverse gis

it's a bullshit product and it cost $100 lol

it's like $5 in parts maybe

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

It doesn't do anything! That's the beauty of it!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
it's just audiophile bullshit, it doesn't need to make any sense

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

it's just audiophile bullshit, it doesn't need to make any sense

remember when denon sold the cat5 cable that cost like $1,000 or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-coffee-39-4-hdmi-cable-white/1267764.p?id=1218245464814&skuId=1267764

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Broken Machine posted:

well i dont want to pay for that!!!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i've been flattening and reinstalling windows machines as favors for people since windows 95 and this is a completely new one for me:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop. the hard drive died so i replaced it and reinstalled windows 7. the laptop had windows 7 home premium (64 bit) so i downloaded and burned the iso from digital river (at a blazing 32kbps, only took 2 days) but the laptop apparently has problems reading burned discs. i really wanted to use the iso instead of his factory home premium disc because the burned copy had SP1 slipstreamed, but whatever.

anyway i formatted the HD and installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit and all the updates including SP1. i installed a bunch of drivers just fine, as well as a bunch of software (pdf xchange, 7zip, chrome, etc) without problem. however, iTunes and Office refuse to install.

they both spit out some crazy error i have never seen before. i would have chalked it up to Office being hosed up but iTunes refuses to install as well. i get "error 1935" in Office and halfway through installation it fails with that error and undoes any changes.

reading up for over a day and other people have had this problem, and some guide told me to change permissions for the entire C: or some poo poo. i did this and magically it loving worked! Office and iTunes installed fine. Except changing permissions on the entire C: hosed a million other things up (programs no longer had icons and other weird poo poo).

so i format AGAIN. this time i hooked up an external CD ROM drive thinking maybe the win7 disc i was using was corrupted (even though it was a retail, pressed disc). i get into windows after formatting, download all the drivers and updates again, and guess what? Office and iTunes refuse to install :smithicide:

i have never had this happen before, and i had just did the same thing to my dad's laptop the previous week so i don't know wtf. the only other thing i could find online was to uninstall .net framework which i did, but then when i tried to install other versions of .net framework, those installations fail as well!

TL;DR: formatted and reinstalled windows 7 twice and certain programs (Office, iTunes, .net Framework) refuse to install; other programs like Chrome, PDF XChange, 7zip install just fine

please send help

do you get some sort of error code? did you try installing them to different locations? you probably already did this, but did you check if it's an admin permissions issue?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so i have a tv hooked up to pc uisind hdmi and so i have two potential sound soruces now but i dsiabled the tv one a while ago but now i need to undisable it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

so i have a tv hooked up to pc uisind hdmi and so i have two potential sound soruces now but i dsiabled the tv one a while ago but now i need to undisable it
right-click the speaker icon go to playback devices and undisable it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

right-click the speaker icon go to playback devices and undisable it

thanks

i jus realised i had already done this

the problem is htat i just realised windows cant send (the same) sound to multiple sound devices at once

and as far as i can tell the way of switching sucks. ie. opening up sound settings and changin dwefailt

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i have a similar setup and when i use the winkey-p key combo (projector control) it remembers which audio output it used for that video output, so i only had to go change it manually the first time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

i have a similar setup and when i use the winkey-p key combo (projector control) it remembers which audio output it used for that video output, so i only had to go change it manually the first time

ok interesting. can this be done while using same monitor?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

thanks

the problem is htat i just realised windows cant send (the same) sound to multiple sound devices at once

and as far as i can tell the way of switching sucks. ie. opening up sound settings and changin dwefailt

Yeah I had to fiddle awhile before I got my new DX :pcgaming: USB Headphones working, it's not an ideal setup. I just leave the opened speaker tool popup window hidden behind my Steam / Spotify on my 2nd monitor so I can quickly swap them over.

ps whoever said they would be bad quality, you were incorrect. They pipe game sounds into my head just fine with no fartiness and the mic is excellent.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

echinopsis posted:

ok interesting. can this be done while using same monitor?

i'm not sure what you're asking here

i have two use cases, one where my pc is sending video to a monitor on my desk and audio to headphones, and the other where it is sending video and audio to the nearby tv over hdmi

i switch between the two setups using the winkey-p hotkey. the hotkey is really just controlling where the video signal goes, but it remembers which audio output i last used with each video output and changes it accordingly

this worked under win7 and still works with the windows 10 preview

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

thanks

what program are you using to send hdmi out, is it windows media player or a video game or what

if all else fails there's virtual audio cable and it's not free but there is a free trial

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
whats the yosposest vps recommendation for a small us based host for vpn / loving around I'm looking at vultr.com because $5 for a 768MB /15GBSSD seems pretty good.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

whats the yosposest vps recommendation for a small us based host for vpn / loving around I'm looking at vultr.com because $5 for a 768MB /15GBSSD seems pretty good.

I think this is the one recommended here last time https://www.digitalocean.com/. it's the one i bookmarked anyway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I think this is the one recommended here last time https://www.digitalocean.com/. it's the one i bookmarked anyway

yeah digitalocean or linode

i use linode, i guess its just a preference thing, i think DO does smaller plans ($5) and linode starts at $10... but both pretty much equivalent from what i can tell

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i didnt post MY linode referral link hurumph

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
lol at vultr's top news article

really with the times there guys

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Sniep posted:

i didnt post MY linode referral link hurumph

so fix that, man

digitalocean's referrals have the added bonus of giving the new user a $10 credit which is really why i did it, if i had a way of giving that to people without making me the referrer then i'd have done that instead so i don't look like a greedy poo poo, but i don't think i can

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

they provide a step by step guide for setting up openvpn so I guess it's fine.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer toucher posted:

they provide a step by step guide for setting up openvpn so I guess it's fine.

this is true, one advantage of digital ocean is they provide a very complete how-to guide on pretty much everything related to "hi im new to unix admin, help" topics

but its all public so you dont have to be a customer to utilize that, just saying

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fyi the easy-rsa scripts included in openvpn have the key length set to 1K by default.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

fyi the easy-rsa scripts included in openvpn have the key length set to 1K by default.

:nsallears:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spankmeister posted:

yeah you don't know what you're talking about.

i dont or he doesnt? if you meant me, care to explain the difference? genuinely curious, not calling you out or anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so after an upgrade i have a spare circa-2011 computer in one of those tiny Shuttle cases that i want to stick next to my router and turn into a network backup device and linux ISO streaming solution. microsoft thinks i'm a college student through march so I have access to all the server OSes through MSDNAA. nothing on my network is pre-windows 7. did they ever de-stupid server 2012?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
no it still has metro

if you're into powershell there's a lot of cmdlets that only 8/2012+ got and allegedly can't be backported to 7/2008 because the wmi functionality doesn't exist

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

install linux

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

I've been using vultr since they support FreeBSD, have no current complaints, wouldn't recommend running a mail server on them though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i dont or he doesnt? if you meant me, care to explain the difference? genuinely curious, not calling you out or anything

cifs isn't "linux-ified" smb

old rear end smb v1 was created at IBM way back then Microsoft took it and expanded on it and used for a long time. this was reverse engineered by the samba project and so became basis for many open sores implementations. Later Microsoft came up with an expanded version which they called CIFS. In their own words this is a "dialect" of smb with symlink and hardlink support and such and this has been in use from. Most notably it doesn't require NetBIOS anymore. They released specs of this so it could be implemented without reverse engineering.

since Vista/2008R1 iirc Microsoft uses SMB v2 which is much improved and much unlike smb v1/cifs

Most server and implementations can negotiate down if they come across a peer that doesn't support the higher versions

On Linux there was the smbfs driver for a long time provided by the samba project but that is fairly integrated into the whole samba toolset and isn't maintained anymore, on Linux you should use the "cifs" driver which is newer and actually maintained

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

thus spoke Spankmeister, knower of protocols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how2 find out if a dll was built with VC6/2003/2005/etc ?