Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The MSJ posted:

After we slice up everyone who does not agree with us, then civilization can truly happen.

I think you mean "bring balance to the United States of Earth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
With rumours of Mandalorian jedi hunters, I wonder if there will be a Boba Fett fakeout where it's someone else in his/similar armour.

Kind of like Jango Fett only not loving awful.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No more Mandalore nonsense please.

Badass Digest has a whole new slew of rumors.

quote:

First up: Max von Sydow! We know he's in the movie, but who is he playing? According to my sources von Sydow is playing a key character who gets the story in motion.

Remember that I told you the movie begins with the discovery of the lightsaber? Well, it isn't Daisy Ridley who discovers it but rather a blue alien guy. He brings it to a salvage yard where Kira - that seems to be what Ridley's character's name is, or at least what they're calling her on set - sees it. She's hanging out there with von Sydow, who is an old cyborg dude, a guy who maybe has dementia. He talks a lot of nonsense. But as soon as that lightsbaber shows up, he gets lucid. He recognizes it. He begins to talk about the old days, name drops a couple of Prequel Trilogy characters, even. And then, after Kira and the alien leave he makes a call to a mysterious figure. "It's here," he says. But who is he calling?

That would be a spoiler!

Next: Kira's got a pretty cool place to call home. She lives inside an abandoned AT-AT, knocked over on its side. Remember, AT-ATs are 'all-terrain,' so while we saw them only on a snow world, they would work just as easily on the desert planet where Episode VII opens.

UPDATE: MakingStarWars also has this information, and they've described the AT-AT in much greater detail than I have patience to do.

Finally: You know all those shots from Greenham Common Air Base, with the X-Wing fighters and the Millenium Falcon? That's a familiar location - it's the Massassi Temple from the original Star Wars. Yup, they're back on Yavin IV.

Ok, here's one bonus piece of info: there are pieces of concept art that show Chewbacca with a cybernetic hand, having lost it in a battle sometime after the events of Jedi. Will that be in the final film? I don't know - there's other concept art where he's got both furry hands intact.

And one final thing: I'm still hearing almost nothing about Leia. What role does she have in this movie, if any?

e: vvv People called him out in the comments, his response was an "Oh yeah, I forgot." Doesn't discredit the rumors at all, just his memory of RotJ.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 1, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
"so while we saw them only on a snow world, "

Cough BULLSHIT SPOTTED

Anyone remember Return of the Jedi?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrBigglesworth posted:

"so while we saw them only on a snow world, "

Cough BULLSHIT SPOTTED

Anyone remember Return of the Jedi?

That's actually brought up in the comments of that article.

Repost from chat: Here's an amazing research article about fan edits focusing on The Phantom Edit and Adywan's Star Wars Edit in particular, and how they should not be understood as "merely the work of disgruntled fans" but creative endeavors in their own right. Highlights:

New trees for refilmed Dagobah scenes

Chewie gets a medal!

http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/575/466

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that deserves its own thread, definitely the best fan edit writeup I've seen.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
I like the Max von Sydow rumor a lot.

The Luke rumor has to be fake. It would implode the entire fandom - I think it would honestly cause more vitriol towards J J Abrams than the entire PT ever did towards Lucas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Max Von Sydow as a shady crazy cyborg would be incredible.

If The evil she sought to vanquish with the power of Luke Skywalker, is Luke Skywalker. Turns out to be true that could be legit incredible because whether it's done well or badly it will result in the gigantomechy of nerd rage outbursts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

quote:

Ok, here's one bonus piece of info: there are pieces of concept art that show Chewbacca with a cybernetic hand, having lost it in a battle sometime after the events of Jedi. Will that be in the final film? I don't know - there's other concept art where he's got both furry hands intact.

The Star Wars Universe, where everybody ends up with a cybernetic hand eventually.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Neo Rasa posted:

If The evil she sought to vanquish with the power of Luke Skywalker, is Luke Skywalker. Turns out to be true that could be legit incredible because whether it's done well or badly it will result in the gigantomechy of nerd rage outbursts.

I don't think Luke finally going darkside after all their efforts to stop the empire more or less failed is too far of a stretch, he always struck me as an instant gratification kinda guy and lets face it, a bit of a drama queen.

Though I guess I could see people disappointed in them ignoring his seemingly zen-like state at the end of Jedi, as long as he's not Empire affiliated I don't think complainers will have a leg to stand on.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 2, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What is this Luke stuff? That article had nothing about Luke in it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I cannot for the life of me fathom Luke giving in to the dark side. There's just no motivation I can think of that would make it possible. Absolutely none.

This is making me more upset than it should be, I really really hope this is false.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Since Lucas doesn't call the shots can't we throw the darkside/lightside morality system out of the book for force sensitives and go full on KOTOR2 orange blue and grey morality?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I cannot for the life of me fathom Luke giving in to the dark side. There's just no motivation I can think of that would make it possible. Absolutely none.

Maybe it turns out that when Luke killed the Emperor he mind-jumped into a clone body, they meet again and Luke decides he must learn the Emperor's Dark Arts to finally defeat him, goes in too deep and gets stuck in the Dark Side.

SirDrone posted:

Since Lucas doesn't call the shots can't we throw the darkside/lightside morality system out of the book for force sensitives and go full on KOTOR2 orange blue and grey morality?

That would be great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the writers for a future Star Wars movie is Garry Whitta, a former PC Gamer editor. Maybe his movies will take inspiration from the two KOTORs. He did write Book of Eli which was inspired by Fallout, at least in the art direction.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Luuke confirmed?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

What is this Luke stuff? That article had nothing about Luke in it.

I would also like to know this answer.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
Here's the Luke thing http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/huge-rumor-star-wars-episode-viis-father-sized-moment/

Assuming it is true, I can't imagine that Disney would let Luke Skywalker turn evil. I could see them allowing it as a shock cliffhanger and then turning it around in Episode VIII so it turns out it was really a clone (like Luuke from the old EU) all along or whatever, but it just seems way too far out otherwise. It actually makes me wonder if there's some truth to an older rumor that stated that the reason Luke had disappeared for 10 years was because he had been captured by the "real villains" who were using his DNA to create "Sith Troopers" from the lineage of the Chosen One.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought we agreed to not spoiler rumors. It makes the thread very hard to read.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

The Star Wars Universe, where everybody ends up with a cybernetic hand eventually.

It might just be a concept art rite of passage for anything Lucas related at all. Actual Raiders of the Lost Ark concept art:

Oh if the arm on the right happens to look familiar...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I bet he's just an old Dengar.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

I bet he's just an old Dengar.

The new movies are based on the Bounty Hunter Trilogy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Old Man Lobot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pretty shocked Billy Dee Williams isn't in this, honestly. He can't have that much more going on than Hamill.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

Pretty shocked Billy Dee Williams isn't in this, honestly. He can't have that much more going on than Hamill.

He is not very mobile.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

He is not very mobile.

Yeah... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5ykcGcsrY

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Considering his cameo in The Lego Movie, I'm sure he wouldn't object to being in a new Star Wars movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

He is not very mobile.

:(

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jack Gladney posted:

Gotta save something for the second and third movies.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

:allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That was sad. I mean I could only stomach about ten seconds but it was a sad ten seconds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

That was sad. I mean I could only stomach about ten seconds but it was a sad ten seconds.

Yeah, he's in very obvious pain (I believe he's had long-standing back issues), can barely move and needs support to remain standing. :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's okay, Lando. We'll always have this.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He was pretty okay in Jedi Outcast and that's enough for me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gently caress your sadface, the man is 77 years old. If you or I would be capable of appearing on (the futuristic equivalent of) Dancing With The Stars AT ALL when we're pushing 80, I'd think we're doing loving GREAT.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Who cares about all that nonsense anyway, sit his rear end at a desk or park it in a starship pilot's seat or turn him into space Charles Xavier or something.

Hell, they had Christopher Lee fighting in a lightsaber battle less than a decade ago.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just get Carl Weathers, the other famous 80s black man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah let's cram in all those characters we love from the OT regardless of story reason because we all loved how well that turned out last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

• Locked thread