Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FCKGW posted:

Next iPhone will move to five blades and a strip of aloe.
So you're saying I'm going to have to cover my face in cream every time I want to use my phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So you're saying I'm going to have to cover my face in cream every time I want to use my phone?

It'll make a change from you creaming your pants when you do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Athletic Footjob posted:

It'll make a change from you creaming your pants when you do.
Aww man, but I enjoy doing that so much :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone vouch for/against the RND lightning dock for using an iPhone 6 in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RND-Certifi...phone+case+dock

I've got a fantastic Belkin dock but it's not compatible with cases that cover the area around the lightning port, so I have to remove my case every night. :(

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Bird Law posted:

Really glad I sprang for the Apple leather case, dark blue, for my 6+. It's so much easier to hold and feels great without adding much bulk which is a pretty big deal with this monster.

Yeah, same. The leather case is fantastic. Simple but (seemingly, as I haven't dropped my phone) solid enough protection for a slim case. The leather feels nice on the hand, and is grippy enough for use. Still kind of too slippery for my tastes, but it's leather that's how it is. Good enough to use without dropping at least.

The brown color looks great on my space gray 6 Plus. All the colors look good really. I almost went with the blue -- those look really good with the space gray phones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

Could you even hold/use an iPhone that was so thin there wasn't room for a headphone jack? Seems like a nightmare.

The iPod touch is 0.8 mm thinner than the iPhone 6, and the headphone jack barely fits and requires a cutout on the back. So there is still a little ways to go.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up a blue leather case last night from the Apple store and I really like the feel, happy to purchase.

On another note, people experience the BT issue. Mine will not play podcasts properly over bluetooth. I get weird garbled audio every few seconds. Tried using different apps, doesn't help. Apples own Podcasts app wont even play as when I tap on a downloaded item it just puts me right back to the list of downloaded items. Stupid thing.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My iOS 8 saga continues.

Yesterday I complained about the connectivity on my phone, and restored backup like suggested. Everything actually did run a lot smoother ... until a few hours later that evening, when a lot of the 'always connected' games I was playing basically shat themselves. It seems like my wifi connection was tenuous at best and I kept 'losing' it, because I kept getting disconnect timeouts, or things would take forever to load (or not load at all), etc. Then I put my phone on airplane mode and turned wifi on, and watched while it struggled to connect to wifi for a minute whereas it should have connected instantly. Meanwhile, this entire time, switching wifi off and using my network connection improved performance. Never had this issue before iOS 8.

Then this morning wifi & apps and all are working as usual. So I'm curious if it's... peak time, or apple-related, or what.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Clocks posted:

My iOS 8 saga continues.

Yesterday I complained about the connectivity on my phone, and restored backup like suggested. Everything actually did run a lot smoother ... until a few hours later that evening, when a lot of the 'always connected' games I was playing basically shat themselves. It seems like my wifi connection was tenuous at best and I kept 'losing' it, because I kept getting disconnect timeouts, or things would take forever to load (or not load at all), etc. Then I put my phone on airplane mode and turned wifi on, and watched while it struggled to connect to wifi for a minute whereas it should have connected instantly. Meanwhile, this entire time, switching wifi off and using my network connection improved performance. Never had this issue before iOS 8.

Then this morning wifi & apps and all are working as usual. So I'm curious if it's... peak time, or apple-related, or what.
You could always reset the network settings.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You could always reset the network settings.

I did this multiple times, including last night. It didn't help at the time.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm getting sick raw denim indigo fades on my brown leather 6+ case.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Apple has already been working on something to replace the standard 1/8" headphone jack for a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Apple has already been working on something to replace the standard 1/8" headphone jack for a while.

What if they did it with magnets, sort of a play on their magsafe connecters. There's nothing but a little headphone jack shaped depression on the back of the phone. You lay the headphone jack against it and it snaps into place.. means standard headphone sets continue to work.

Well, mostly. I think almost all plugs are non-ferrous so they won't actually stick to a magnet.

Either way, hire me Tim. I'll do it for a million dollars.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

What if they did it with magnets, sort of a play on their magsafe connecters. There's nothing but a little headphone jack shaped depression on the back of the phone. You lay the headphone jack against it and it snaps into place.. means standard headphone sets continue to work.

Well, mostly. I think almost all plugs are non-ferrous so they won't actually stick to a magnet.

IIRC they have something in the works to use the lightning connector for audio, which would make sense here.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Loving the plus so far but goddamn these scaled apps look like 80-year old quality.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xzzy posted:

I think the trouble is mainly that it's a verrrrry established connector with fantastic cross compatibility, etc. I guess you could always make an adapter, but...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I think the trouble is mainly that it's a verrrrry established connector with fantastic cross compatibility, etc. I guess you could always make an adapter, but...

Which is why my magnets idea is perfect!

If only it could actually work.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Let's not forget that the original iPhone required a headphone adapter to use anything other than Steve's Blessed White Earbuds and everyone I knew just grumbled a little bit about buying the adapter and then didn't complain beyond that.

And with Bluetooth being a thing now, I use the headphone adapter on my iPhone 6 way, way less than I did in 2007.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

arbybaconator posted:

I'm getting sick raw denim indigo fades on my brown leather 6+ case.

Can you show it? Mine ain't showing poo poo.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Let's not forget that the original iPhone required a headphone adapter to use anything other than Steve's Blessed White Earbuds and everyone I knew just grumbled a little bit about buying the adapter and then didn't complain beyond that.

I joined the iPhone world with the 4, so this is news to me.

I'm curious, what did the adapter look like? Why did only Apple earbuds work? The connector size?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snuffman posted:

I joined the iPhone world with the 4, so this is news to me.

I'm curious, what did the adapter look like? Why did only Apple earbuds work? The connector size?

The headphone port was recessed so anything with a thicker base couldn't connect or only got one channel of sound.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's different. That means that anything with a stupid, bad headphone jack design won't fit. Not that only an Apple headset will fit. Put most cases on and you're in the same situation. On the other hand I'm surprised they had the space to recess that jack.

I am not sold on Bluetooth headsets. I find them more bulky and cumbersome in the end than a simple wired one. At least the ones I've tried. They need the bluetooth radio and their own power source and that's a lot of bulk relatively. I can believe they would try to make a lightning headset but hope they don't try to push Bluetooth headsets.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the adapter was really just a 2.5mm plug with a really narrow boot like the white earbuds have, and then an inch and a half of cord with a 2.5mm jack on the other end.

Apple did not make any, they were all aftermarket and ranged from $2 cheap no-name Chinese ones to a $19 Belkin one they'd sell at the Apple Store.

Of course the MFI program and sourcing the Lightning connector seems to have resulted in about a $12 price floor on most anything with a Lightning connector on it. A Lightning audio adapter would need a DAC, and so the $30 Lightning to video adapter Apple sells is probably more of what I'd expect pricewise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also audio sounds a bit flat over bluetooth, even with the new high bandwidth option that they made to try and fix that problem.

I mean the audio is good enough and I use it daily, but when I swap to a wired connection there's a pretty noticeable difference. I like bluetooth audio, I just don't want it to be the only option.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Heres the story I was thinking about :

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple-introduces-mfi-specs-for-lightning-cable-headphones-support-arriving-in-future-ios-update/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Also audio sounds a bit flat over bluetooth, even with the new high bandwidth option that they made to try and fix that problem.

I mean the audio is good enough and I use it daily, but when I swap to a wired connection there's a pretty noticeable difference. I like bluetooth audio, I just don't want it to be the only option.
Whats the high bandwidth option? I know about aptX but Apple doesn't support it, it sounds like AAC is supported but I'm not sure how common it is.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!
So I dropped my iPhone 6 flat on its back in a parking lot and the camera lens is now cracked. Anybody know how much Apple charges to repair that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

Whats the high bandwidth option? I know about aptX but Apple doesn't support it, it sounds like AAC is supported but I'm not sure how common it is.

Yeah, aptX is what I'm talking about.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that iStuff had a secret high quality option.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The obvious happened.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yep just got that email too. Oh well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe it's just my 6+ screen but this is a great watch: https://gopro.com/channel/video-of-...etter&utm_term=

Feels really awesome on the screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that iMessage testing problem still around? I'm giving my Android phone I replaced to someone coming from a 4S.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Now that it's been a bit, what's the recommendation on updating to 8 or not on a 4s?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you use the lightning connector for audio, how would you charge it at the same time? Will all plugs have a pass through?

I don't see it happening.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just noticed on Amazon:

China has been busy.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Wifi seems spotty on my 6+.

Works just fine then it won't see any networks. Only a hard reboot fixes it. Anyone else have this issue?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Samara posted:

Wifi seems spotty on my 6+.

Works just fine then it won't see any networks. Only a hard reboot fixes it. Anyone else have this issue?
Whats the difference between a hard reboot and a soft reboot?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dexter6 posted:

Whats the difference between a hard reboot and a soft reboot?

Holding down the power/lock and home buttons until it cycles through the black and white apple screen.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Yeah I've got connectivity problems with wifi AND cellular (6+, iOS 8.xx). Hard reboots only solve it for anywhere from a minute to several hours. Hopefully this is all related to the lovely new update and will be patched soon. To be honest I'm considering going back to my iPhone 5 in the meantime, it's really that bad and it blows to leave the house and suddenly find your smartphone won't connect to the internet reliably.