Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
3 mil is a day in Dynamis if you're good with proccing. The upgraded harp does do 4 songs, yeah, but who is honestly going to sit through the riftcinder AND heavy metal plate farming process if the original colorless souls/horns grind is likely going to burn them out in the first place? Getting all 4 songs is literally the worst possible grind you can currently do in the game, it's worse than a Mythic because at least with that you can just do salvage and NNI every day to farm alexandrite and also potentially getting some really nice macro pieces from NNI, while making progress on clearing assaults for your book or killing the HNMs for titles or doing Einherjar for building up an Odin clear. A DHarp is boring at just kill 50 ironclads, kill 75 VNMs, kill a dragon that can wreck you 75 times, then do voidwatch for either 2000-????? times. Yes it might take less time overall if you get lucky, but with a Mythic you're always pushing forward little by little. Why do you think you never see a level 99 Ochain?

Alternatively you could farm Dynamis for a day or two, buy the parts you need, and then go as thief to any of the merit point BCNMs because people actually like using Treasure Hunter in those to get yourself a clear and open up access to the JSE weapons to buy a harp and then boom, you can go to the events you think you're locked out of currently.

This is pretty much what I did for my Samurai by the way. I made an Ochain for my paladin to get my foot in the door, then got clears and upgrade items, then funneled everything into my SAM and now I'm having fun whacking poo poo for 15k every 5 seconds and have piles of upgrade items laying around to actually bring my paladin up to par, and even gear out a WHM and a MNK and can farm more merit points than I know what to do with in 10 minutes.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dynamis Proccing will be much easier after the update, since /dnc steps are being reduced to a 5 second recast.

I've started my Mythic but only as far as actually getting to the quest. I'm not sure I have it in me to farm all that Alexandrite :(

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Kazy posted:

Dynamis

I need the Dynamis currency to make Gjallarhorn, unless (a) I scour for all the "[insert song type here] +3" instruments or (b) you're saying that people don't actually care if I'm only getting +2 on my songs from the Eminent Flute (which, from overheard conversations and posts, I'm finding hard to believe).

[EDIT] I don't know, the more we talk about it here, the more I'm beginning to realize that maybe I don't actually care enough to go through the effort. Gearing up has always been one of my least favorite parts of this game (and MMOs in general, although later ones aren't quite as bad as FFXI due to changes in design philosophy) and the majority of the content I want to see isn't likely to be gated behind gear, so...

[EDIT 2] Yeah, I just talked with my friend. We've decided "gently caress gearing up, just finish the storylines and quit".

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 3, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Copycat Zero posted:

I need the Dynamis currency to make Gjallarhorn, unless (a) I scour for all the "[insert song type here] +3" instruments or (b) you're saying that people don't actually care if I'm only getting +2 on my songs from the Eminent Flute (which, from overheard conversations and posts, I'm finding hard to believe).

[EDIT] I don't know, the more we talk about it here, the more I'm beginning to realize that maybe I don't actually care enough to go through the effort. Gearing up has always been one of my least favorite parts of this game (and MMOs in general, although later ones aren't quite as bad as FFXI due to changes in design philosophy) and the majority of the content I want to see isn't likely to be gated behind gear, so...

[EDIT 2] Yeah, I just talked with my friend. We've decided "gently caress gearing up, just finish the storylines and quit".

Augmented skirmish horn from alluvion skirmish can give +3 songs, i see this event shouted frequently so there's alot of alternatives out there. General consensus for endgame is to pick one of the easier to setup jobs you have as a foothold into gearing the tougher to fillout job. This game is literally about incremental upgrades...

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 3, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Copycat Zero posted:

Yeah, that's the basic conclusion I'm beginning to come to. I'm more-and-more tempted just to say "finish the storylines, uninstall the game forever" and just stop worrying about what my LS is doing.

In the specific example of Terpander, which requires a drop from a Delve Megaboss (as well as the title from said Megaboss, so I couldn't just by the item off the AH even if I was willing to drop that much money), a SKCNM20 win on "Difficult" or "Very Difficult", and a win on the battlefields above that on "Normal", it does. It's not required for Daurdabla, no, but the question I was respooding to was "why don't you just get Terpander instead?".

I'm dirt poor and I have 3 of these items (whm, rdm, thf). You can buy one with 2 days worth of halfassed dynamis farming. An skcnm win on difficult is pretty easy to get even with a pubbie shout party.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Unless you're getting picked up by super elitist rear end in a top hat groups, just the fact that you have 3 songs will be enough to work with. Having the proper gearswaps and macro pieces will make more of a difference than just having a relic anyways. The only thing you need the multiple song instruments for are for actually singing that third bonus song when you start casting it, for everything else you can swap around gear and be good.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
I'm back on Quetz again, but it's been about 3 years so I'm totally clueless as to what is going on.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

Burtgang is best.
PLD is a much different job once you get Burtgang. :)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Don't bother gearing bard, just get Oboro clearance, make a Dunna, gear Geomancer (you can get -66%MDT/-76%PDT for the luopan with almost zero effort) and use that for support. It's as good/better than Bard for most relevant content, easier to gear, easier to play, and harder to find for pickup groups.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Whelp, I'm getting banned. Some rear end in a top hat bought my mole for 5million.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Tnega posted:

Whelp, I'm getting banned. Some rear end in a top hat bought my mole for 5million.

Mole? I assume you had some random crap in bazaar for a high price? You won't get banned.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Woke up and couldn't sleep this morning, so decided to continue my grind to 99. Forgot it was a patch day and was pleasantly surprised that I could get a whole stack of steps on a mob before it even hit 50% hp.

Probably my favorite change so far.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Does the step timer reduction work on dancer as a subjob? It's going to be raining Dynamis currency if it does.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Male of the Century posted:

Does the step timer reduction work on dancer as a subjob? It's going to be raining Dynamis currency if it does.

Yes, it does, and yes, it is. Got like 20% more currency on my first run.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

October update! Everyone* gets a+ weaponskills

*rdms are not people

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Paladine_PSoT posted:

*rdms are not people

Goddamn it.

Well, at least getting Atomos is cool.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

*rdms are not people

Ahaha at least you get magic.

CORs get poo poo.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

A+ daggers on Dancer, now they're a viable frontline job with great support right?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Guys, guys. I think we all missed the best bit of this patch.

quote:

The amount of time that must pass for the warp ring to be used after equipping has been reduced from thirty seconds to eight seconds.

GOTY all years.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Broke the second and third to last limit break yesterday. If anybody will be on around 10am easternish and wants to help me lessen my grind to 95 a bit I will not stop you :v:

Also where's the best place to gather seasoning stones? I'm coming up on 95 quicker than I thought I was going to be.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
So, a quick question about getting this game to run in an older PC setup - Has anyone found/tested an AMD processor that seems to run good for this game? I got an older PC for super cheap recently, but it produces frameskips and graphics lag, despite the the requirements being well over the recommended specs. Anyone have a clue what would work to fix this? I've heard this was a problem a long time ago that was somewhat widespread with multicore CPUs, but I've had no luck in finding advice on it. Anyone have any advice?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Been thinking about resubbing lately but i'm a few expansions behind. Where can I purchase a license for the Adoulin saga that isn't more than like 5 bux?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Just remembered I have an unused ultimate cd key I will never use. Was gonna set up a BRD mule, but I stopped playing FFXI before I ever got started on it.

Code includes SoA and beret+shirt. Will take :15bux: for the codes if any jerks are interestsed. :)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Just remembered I have an unused ultimate cd key I will never use. Was gonna set up a BRD mule, but I stopped playing FFXI before I ever got started on it.

Code includes SoA and beret+shirt. Will take :15bux: for the codes if any jerks are interestsed. :)

You're just mad magichero got banned. RIP magichero, and the 5-600m he had at the banning

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

LiquidFriend posted:

Interested. Sent pm.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Want to throw a huge thanks out to the peeps that came out and help me wreck the level 99 limit break boss last night as well as those that helped me acquire or gave me the items for it.

And huge thanks to Rukaka who grinded some xp out with me afterwards.

Seriously, I never thought I'd have fun in this game again, but the quality of life improvements that have been added in the past year have been amazing. If any of you are on the fence about starting up again, give it a shot.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Lord Psychodin posted:

So, a quick question about getting this game to run in an older PC setup - Has anyone found/tested an AMD processor that seems to run good for this game? I got an older PC for super cheap recently, but it produces frameskips and graphics lag, despite the the requirements being well over the recommended specs. Anyone have a clue what would work to fix this? I've heard this was a problem a long time ago that was somewhat widespread with multicore CPUs, but I've had no luck in finding advice on it. Anyone have any advice?

I recall way back when people had found solutions to problems like this by using older video card drivers.
Your mileage may vary now since so many updates would be out, but may be worth a shot grabbing some era appropriate drivers if possible.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005
So how bad of an idea would it be to return to this game? I miss the grind. These new MMOs don't understand grinding.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There's a huge initial grind to get caught back up with everything, but once you do and you can start doing the newest content there's... not a whole lot to offer. This game really lives or dies on your desire to steamroll old content you may never have done before, or how badly you want to make R/M/E weapons.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005

There's a huge initial grind to get caught back up with everything, but once you do and you can start doing the newest content there's... not a whole lot to offer. This game really lives or dies on your desire to steamroll old content you may never have done before, or how badly you want to make R/M/E weapons.

So not much endgame grinding? Just more abyssea style stuff?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's mostly the following: Grind merits > buy KIs to enter new BCNMs (and repeat) > Maybe do Delve for money drops > maybe do skirmish for money drops > maybe do limbus/dynamis/salvage for currency drops.

There's no new top tier grind unless you somehow count incursion farming for perfect capes, it's all just grinding out ilvl 119 gear and then just sort of doing a whole lot of not much.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005

It's mostly the following: Grind merits > buy KIs to enter new BCNMs (and repeat) > Maybe do Delve for money drops > maybe do skirmish for money drops > maybe do limbus/dynamis/salvage for currency drops.

There's no new top tier grind unless you somehow count incursion farming for perfect capes, it's all just grinding out ilvl 119 gear and then just sort of doing a whole lot of not much.

That is what I was afraid of. I miss the exp parties, sky, dynamis, sea, salvage, einherjar. That era at 75 before abyssea was the most fun in an MMO i've ever had. It was brutal, it was draining, it was very very very tedious, but it was rewarding as poo poo.

I guess I won't return if that is the new state of ffxi :(

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I will at least say that, because I didn't play in the prime of FFXI and did most/all of the story content after the level caps were removed, it's fun to me to do the re-tuned fights, such as Ark Angels and the Zilart bosses- haven't done i119 Shadowlord yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I keep wanting to come back as well, but I think I'll wait until the Seekers story is done. I want to see how much of this storyline is Odin's fault too.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

I keep wanting to come back as well, but I think I'll wait until the Seekers story is done. I want to see how much of this storyline is Odin's fault too.

November update supposedly has "final chapter" of SoA story.

Weird seeing an expansion story wrap up in under 2 years instead of the 5ish (? It felt like 5.) years it took WotG to wrap up.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Place Ad Here posted:

That is what I was afraid of. I miss the exp parties, sky, dynamis, sea, salvage, einherjar. That era at 75 before abyssea was the most fun in an MMO i've ever had. It was brutal, it was draining, it was very very very tedious, but it was rewarding as poo poo.

Yeah games like that don't exist anymore for a reason. I'm pretty sure there's a goon run EQ 1 server though if that's what you're looking for.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The latest SE dev post is great.

quote:

We understand some players have issues with Trusts like Koru-Moru and Karuha-Baruha using haste only on front line jobs. Our thought when creating these Trusts is that we wanted them to be useful in many situations. If you had Trusts that could cast haste on all jobs, it would almost constantly be casting haste if you had a full 6 man party.

After years of being a RDM main this is almost insulting. Oh SE... :rolleyes:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Stop typing and cast Haste 2 on me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Translation: They don't want to put RDM out of a job :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Place Ad Here posted:

Could just play on a 75 cap private server I guess.

Did S-E completely remove the ability to pay for crysta via paypal?