Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The enemies are smart and are all wearing those fire defense rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sanctum posted:

The ones with spikey icicle-backs and magical transformer hands are different and not trash mobs. You gotta take those humanoid-sized enemies even more seriously than the giant-ish sized knights that practically beg you to backstab them.
I found those guys to actually be the easiest, mainly because you could bait their leaping attack very easily and then stunlock them. The Rampart Golems also seem to overcommit to thrust combos that leave them open to backstabbing, and the animated golems have very long recovery times. I had the most issues with the regular frozen soldier guys because they seemed to be able to poise through my first attack all the time so I ended up trading attacks with them more than I would've liked.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I can't believe people get softbanned for pulling in items. I cheat just like, audaciously on my cosplay Hulk side character. Online and hilariously like a mother fucker. I feel like an unprotected sex in every tour city rockstar with the world healthiest, happiest dick hearing stories about people getting AIDS from their first kiss. How do they monitor for this stuff? It's baffling.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Quickshanks posted:

I've been checking out horror movies I haven't seen to watch this Halloween and realized this movie and especially its opening scene are probably the inspiration for the Penal Mask and its description.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15gmcu_mask-of-satan-aka-black-sunday_shortfilms

This is cool. Penal Mask always made me think of this far less interesting film.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Remind me, does Faith increase lightning damage somehow? I need a reason to stay Str/Faith. Getting kind of bored and thinking of using a Soul Vessel and switching to Str/Dex for my main dude because 50 Faith in exchange for five lightning bolts is hella steep.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lots of your Lightning damage comes from Faith scaling.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, you can just read the tooltips if you want, but basically:
Lighting scales with FTH
Magic scales with INT
Fire scales with FTH and INT and uses the average between the two. Though the scaling for fire is more of a bonus, it does decent damage regardless of stats.
Dark scales with FTH and INT but always only uses the lower stat so it's good to keep them equal. Softcap is 30.

So if you use an FTH build you'll wanna use Miracles and maybe Pyromancy on the side. I tend to advise against infusions, though because plain physical is not just better in a lot of cases it also gives you a second damage type on top of your lightning spells.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 3, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

While we're on the subject of lightning, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the Lightning Clutch Ring. I infused a Warped Sword and Drakekeeper's Sword with Lightning and I've been juicing the former up with Sunlight Blade, but the effect of the Lightning Clutch Ring seems like peanuts compared to the amount of Defense I lose for equipping it--not to mention the cost of a ring slot. The only thing I really dig about that ring at the moment is the insane boost it provides the Bow of Want, but I'm not sure if that alone is enough to persuade me to stick with it.

I know that the Lightning Clutch Ring works best with weapons that already have lightning damage pre-infusion, but none of those really interest me. I guess it's back to the drawing board?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think it may have been intended more for caster or mixed magic/melee types.
And the clutch rings work best with infused weapons that already had their infused element.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I really don't understand how infusions work, especially on weapons with split damage already. Take the Black Knight Greatsword: Infusions seem to barely drop or affect the ratings or scaling already present. Scaling for regular BKG is C/E/-/C/-/-, Fire BKG is a very similar C/E/-/C/-/- while a Dark BKG seems to add an extra C rating out of nowhere for C/E/-/C/-/C. As fire and dark both scale well with combined Int/Fth this looks like a great 2-for-1 deal.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Forget ye not the effects on base damage, generally a bigger contributor to total damage than scaling.

Also all Cs are not equal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you really wanna min-max your poo poo then take a look at this: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/scaling which I assume is probably at least as accurate as anything else. The article links to a spreadsheet which claims to have all the specific scaling percentages for each weapon (before and after some patch, which I'd imagine was some patch in the past). Or at the very least it should give a rough idea I suppose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senethro posted:

I really don't understand how infusions work, especially on weapons with split damage already. Take the Black Knight Greatsword: Infusions seem to barely drop or affect the ratings or scaling already present. Scaling for regular BKG is C/E/-/C/-/-, Fire BKG is a very similar C/E/-/C/-/- while a Dark BKG seems to add an extra C rating out of nowhere for C/E/-/C/-/C. As fire and dark both scale well with combined Int/Fth this looks like a great 2-for-1 deal.

It's not out of nowhere, it's adding dark scaling because you made it Dark. Which is bad because of how defense works in this game, never infuse against the innate element of the weapon. If you're gonna infuse a weapon that does a certain type of elemental damage you always, always want to infuse for that type or damage. So you should infuse that Black Knight Greatsword with fire.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I know its against conventional wisdom and I felt stupid for doing it but when I hit enemies with it before and after they died faster. I didn't know how to argue with that and was wondering if I'd found an edge situation or something.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not out of nowhere, it's adding dark scaling because you made it Dark. Which is bad because of how defense works in this game, never infuse against the innate element of the weapon. If you're gonna infuse a weapon that does a certain type of elemental damage you always, always want to infuse for that type or damage. So you should infuse that Black Knight Greatsword with fire.

Pretty sure elemental damage is just flat percentages in DkS2 so split elemental damage doesn't inherently matter. More elemental AR is always more damage. But weapons with innate elements are funky with scaling and base damage changes under certain infusions so I can't say if the BKGS specifically is better with fire or not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Let's say you have a sword that does 50 fire damage. If you infuse it with fire that will jump to 100, or if you infuse it with dark it will do 50 fire and 50 dark damage. Sounds the same, right? Well, not quite. Let's say that you attack an enemy with 40 fire resistance and 30 dark resistance. The dark infused weapon will deal 30 damage (50-30 and 50-40), the fire infused sword will deal 60 (100-40). Do not split your damage three ways.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Except not because that's not how elemental resistance works. 40% reduction on the 100 fire attack is 60 damage, but 40% reduction on 50 fire and 30% on 50 dark is a total of 65.

In-game, elemental resistance values are percent*10, so 40 resistance would be 4% reduction.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 3, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm so happy (Spoiler: certain DLC hat)Symbol of Avarice is back

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That and it has jiggle bones now.

I'm never taking it off

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm only getting to play the last DLC now but I seriously hope they don't include anymore lovely NPC invaders, it's like the scrubs that invade you again and again but with more HP, ugh. And on the way to the hexer phantom I got invaded by the same dark orb spamming moron three times in a row, not sure what annoys me more.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I'm only getting to play the last DLC now but I seriously hope they don't include anymore lovely NPC invaders, it's like the scrubs that invade you again and again but with more HP, ugh. And on the way to the hexer phantom I got invaded by the same dark orb spamming moron three times in a row, not sure what annoys me more.

lol

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've been sunbro-ing for close to two hours at Ivory King now, and it seems there's not a single player who has more than one knight. Are they all doing challenges or what...? Argh. At least I'm getting Loyde souls out of this.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think a lot of people just go straight into the fight after beating Aava because Alsanna sorta tells you to. They don't bother to go back and explore the area with the storm abated.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...aaaaaand just as I'm summoned by the only player who has actually more than one knight - all four, in fact -, the game lags hard and I die instantly from a fireball exploding half an arena away from me. Hell, those exact attacks do not even half my lifebar in damage normally...

Getting Loyce Souls sucks. :( When I'm summoned, one drops at most, and when I jump down alone, I'm quickly overwhelmed by the three now unclosable portals. I'm starting to think I don't need to see the queen that badly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait... Are Lud and Zallen completely optional? If so then why the gently caress would you put them all the way at the very far end of a gigantic empty area?? :psyduck:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CJacobs posted:

Wait... Are Lud and Zallen completely optional? If so then why the gently caress would you put them all the way at the very far end of a gigantic empty area?? :psyduck:

Because the co-op area needs a boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough I guess but I would've liked at least a little inclination that I didn't have to bother throwing myself at them for 50 years. I guess I should've realized that there's no way Lud and Zallen's arena could feasibly connect to anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've discovered the joys of invading people. This is great. It's like I get to stomp on the face of every jerkbag who invaded me!

Cycle of despair and pain

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough I guess but I would've liked at least a little inclination that I didn't have to bother throwing myself at them for 50 years. I guess I should've realized that there's no way Lud and Zallen's arena could feasibly connect to anything.

Those weird statues indicate the "challenge" areas that are supposed to be cleared in co-op since that's the part were you can summon people who don't have the DLC or are too lazy to walk. They are always strictly optional.

Of course, once more From makes the worst area of the DLC available to those who have not purchased it. Grade A advertising, I guess.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What have I been doing with my sorcerer this whole time not using the Blue Flame? It has crazy base damage and good INT scaling, plus the damage split is skewed towards INT meaning it benefits from the great magic weapon buff considerably more than a +10 magic-infused weapon. Even in the DLC where everything is highly resistant to magic I find I'm doing as much or more damage than regular +10 weapons. It cuts through non-DLC enemies like butter. Also you can cast yearn while 2-handing which is pretty nifty.

Are there weapons of comparable importance for miracle, hex, and pyro builds?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lol that silly rear end in a top hat from the iron king DLC came back with a new trick and when I was about to beat him he jumped to his death to spoil my victory. Well done From.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Someone posted this on tumblr with the caption "I don't know what I expected"

http://hopeless-host.tumblr.com/post/98959524078/i-dont-know-what-i-expected

lordfrikk posted:

:allears:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

Getting Loyce Souls sucks. :( When I'm summoned, one drops at most, and when I jump down alone, I'm quickly overwhelmed by the three now unclosable portals. I'm starting to think I don't need to see the queen that badly.

It's pretty annoying. I have like ten sets of the Charred armor and fewer than 20 Loyce Souls still.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Finally killed the tiger twins, I had more trouble getting to them than I did with them. I ended up exhausting all the reindeer enemies before I finally killed them. Vengarl and Abbess Feeva must have 100k health. Vengarl never even dropped below 3/4 health.

I guess now the only thing left for me now is to farm Loyce Souls. Is it easier to farm them by phantoming or farming them yourself?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
warning: the never hollow bonus from having all four crowns disappears if you progress to new game plus or plus plus etc.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Judge Clayjar posted:

warning: the never hollow bonus from having all four crowns disappears if you progress to new game plus or plus plus etc.

Oh, what? So it's entirely goddamn useless? What the gently caress.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Judge Clayjar posted:

What the gently caress. That's kind of what i was imagining the entire point of getting it was.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Judge Clayjar posted:

That's really loving dumb. I was pretty happy with that bonus, but if it goes away in NG+ what's the point? By the time you finish all three DLCs, there's not much point in staying in NG.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Anyone noticed invaders recently look more 'normal' than before? At least arbiter spirits look more like they've got a blue sheen than blinding blue nonsense that messes up all fashion.

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Does anyone know if ascetic-ing the bonfires makes the npc invaders come back? I want to show both the holy barrel knight and the "friendly" white ring knight off to someone else. If yes, which bonfires would those be?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 4, 2014