Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're going to have remote users then DirectAccess needs to be a fundamental part of your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Users currently are always on the internal network, but they occasionally lose connection or leave the premises, which being on a workgroup doesn't mean anything to them. The big win is if I could come up with some kind of "check into the domain" system where they can get GPO and software updates when on the network (and update my Spiceworks inventory), but still be able to work completely from cached credentials when off the network. I'd only want alerts if something if a laptop is gone for X amount of time without checking back in. I know this can be done, but does it make any sense to intentionally design for it? If it works the way I'm thinking I wouldn't need to care so much about high DC availability.

thebigcow posted:

Start by deciding what you want this stuff to do and think through how it's going to work. What OUs need to be made, what settings get applied to each, how are you going to move users from local to domain, how are you going to handle the roll out. How will the laptops be used outside of the office and what needs to be done to accommodate that. Will people work off network file shares or not. What will volume licensed software cost you and what will you do for people that are out longer than the normal KMS activation period of idk how many days. Will AD handle DHCP or will something else be doing that. All the other things I just forgot about.

For now I figure straightforward departmental OUs that have a logon script (or policy prefs) GPO applied to each, so anyone I drop in there will be mapped. I'm new to Onedrive/Sharepoint, can I redirect homefolders to OneDrive and department folders to Sharepoint? Does that make the most sense?

For rollout I'm just going to re-image all the laptops by hand and join them to the domain, I could do all 200 in a few days and be sure I'm getting their C drive files migrated.

DirectAccess sounds good for laptops outside the office. I was also considering Cisco Anyconnect or LogMeIn Hamachi, I've set up both of those and they both work great, I'm not sure how well suited Hamachi is for enterprise but it's pretty tempting because it's always on and performance is great from my experience using it for Steam In Home Streaming, plus the pricing is fantastic.

For the KMS activation, I assume that only comes into play if someone takes a long, offline vacation with their laptop without checking in, or something?

DHCP is currently handled by our only server... the VoIP server. I'm going to pay my CCNP homies from my last job to move DHCP to our switches, that always seems to work out the best for me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

A dying router came in.

Our poor Peplink Balance 210 has began making GBS threads all over the bed at random and I'm getting sick of coming in at two in the morning to restart it. New fiscal year means I just got approval to not only replace it, but upgrade it! :neckbeard:

Any suggestions for a router that offers IPsec VPN, automatic multi-WAN switching, per-user bandwidth limits, and the ability to not shut down when someone downloads a file larger than 50MB? Been looking at what Barracuda offers, since I was always a fan of their web filter, but I'm always interested in hearing what everyone else has experience with.

This is shaping up to be a great year. Our current GM and all-around cool guy just got promoted to president, so all corporate spending approvals for our station just got a whole lot easier. Not to mention I'm finally getting to upgrade our NT server to something from this millennium, and I got approval for a vendor NAS solution so I can finally set fire to all these loving 6TB terastations.

Miktotik.

Sorry if I'm late to the party but, if you don't mind doing a bit of configuring they are STUPIDLY powerful.
We use RB2011's for literally everything. They also make great IPsec tunnel endpoints and can blast wireless signal at a full watt (not sure if that's legal in the US)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 3, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

DHCP is currently handled by our only server... the VoIP server. I'm going to pay my CCNP homies from my last job to move DHCP to our switches, that always seems to work out the best for me.

If you add DHCP role to your AD server DNS records for your all your machines are automatically updated. So people can continue to reach each other by machine name.

You may be able to do this AD integration with Cisco but :effort:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can still do the IP helper stuff at the switch level, but yeah run the actual DHCP in Windows integrated with DNS.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dell technicians have finished reviewing the system logs for our Series 7 EqualLogic storage arrays and found a bug in the 7.0.x firmware that causes a kernel panic and restart after 248 days of uptime. They say we should be OK since the next firmware patch will be released sooner than the next time they're expected to crash.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

GWBBQ posted:

Dell technicians have finished reviewing the system logs for our Series 7 EqualLogic storage arrays and found a bug in the 7.0.x firmware that causes a kernel panic and restart after 248 days of uptime. They say we should be OK since the next firmware patch will be released sooner than the next time they're expected to crash.

I would put a reminder on your calendar to reboot the machine a few days before that so it is a controlled reboot and not a kernel panic induced one. Don't rely on Dell getting that patch in before hand or it even containing the fix for this.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

Do you have the bug report for this/was it posted publicly? I have a friend who is installing a new Equalogic in his environment and I want to make sure he doesn't get blasted a year down the road when this happens.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully the bug is legit and they aren't just blowing smoke up your rear end to close the incident.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Hopefully the bug is legit and they aren't just blowing smoke up your rear end to close the incident.

It sounds legitimate. A signed 32 bit timer at 100Hz will overflow on day 248.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking for a online/cloud/butt backup service recommendation...

Here is my situation: We have multiple branch locations. Each location has a small amount of data, about 10GB or so that doesn't change that much per day. Right now each branch has a Windows server on-site. User files along with a single database are stored on this server and nightly backed up to tape or multiple USB disks. They are supposed to be taken off-site regularly, however this does not always happen.

My ideal situation would have the data just copied back to our central HQ, however said HQ is on a more limited connection and already pushing enough data in/out to make this impractical.

I would like to give online backups a try... But have no idea which service to use. There are so many out there. Any recommendations?

Ideally said service would provide a client I can schedule to upload each branch's data on a nightly basis...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

Here is my situation: We have multiple branch locations. Each location has a small amount of data, about 10GB or so that doesn't change that much per day. Right now each branch has a Windows server on-site. User files along with a single database are stored on this server and nightly backed up to tape or multiple USB disks. They are supposed to be taken off-site regularly, however this does not always happen.

My ideal situation would have the data just copied back to our central HQ, however said HQ is on a more limited connection and already pushing enough data in/out to make this impractical.

I would like to give online backups a try... But have no idea which service to use. There are so many out there. Any recommendations?

Ideally said service would provide a client I can schedule to upload each branch's data on a nightly basis...

Try crashplan? It has multiple destinations, differential backups, and scheduling. I've set it up for a couple smaller clients, and it's worked quite well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

It sounds legitimate. A signed 32 bit timer at 100Hz will overflow on day 248.

Definitely legitimate... I had something similar happen with several Dell switches we have. If IGMP snooping was enabled, a particular counter would overflow after a few months of operation causing the switch to stop switching traffic until it was rebooted. Every switch in that series was affected. This was discovered one day when had an entire rack of switches all come to a halt within minutes of each other. Couldn't even reboot them remotely as the CLI and GUI stopped responding and all the management equipment was connected to said switches.

Had to have someone find and manually pull the plug on each one :/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Try crashplan? It has multiple destinations, differential backups, and scheduling. I've set it up for a couple smaller clients, and it's worked quite well.

I would recommend Crashplan as well as long as the environment doesn't need specific features relating to VMs or whatever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

stevewm posted:

Carbonite Server Backup does local + cloud, on a schedule, and can do quite a few databases also.

http://www.carbonite.com/online-backup/server/how-it-works

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So our terrible Pitney Bowes postage meter finally gave up the ghost (actually some dipshit probably broke it).

Does anybody have any alternatives to postage meters? Or a postage meter company that doesn't suck? I know this isn't really IT but our office manager is entirely useless so this project will probably fall to me.

I know of Stamps.Com but with so many different people mailing stuff that might not be the best idea. Any suggestions?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

pr0digal posted:

So our terrible Pitney Bowes postage meter finally gave up the ghost (actually some dipshit probably broke it).

Does anybody have any alternatives to postage meters? Or a postage meter company that doesn't suck? I know this isn't really IT but our office manager is entirely useless so this project will probably fall to me.

I know of Stamps.Com but with so many different people mailing stuff that might not be the best idea. Any suggestions?

http://www.fp-usa.com/products/postage-meters/
http://www.haslerinc.com/products/
http://www.neopost.com/en/products-solutions/mail-processing/postage-meters

Those three, Pitney Bowes, and Stamps.com are all I know of. I don't know if any of them are good, I will not consider Pitney Bowes again. My mail is mostly #10 envelopes so I just buy rolls of stamps for the office, and pay for any flats at the post office on a company credit card.

FYI your meter is a rental. Dig out your contract and then dig out your bills to see if they added insurance for the thing while no one was paying attention.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm pretty sure that Hasler and Neopost are one company nowadays.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I work for a mailbox store that uses Endicia's DYMO Stamps service. I don't know how it compares to your other options, but it definitely doesn't suck.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

This is not a ticket, nor did it happen to or around me, but I have found the dumbest user.

Dude legit tried to print a video.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Maybe he just accidentally hit ctrl-p. I discovered my ctrl button was sticking one day when I noticed 50 pages of the Prometheus thread sitting next to the printer :v:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rorac posted:

This is not a ticket, nor did it happen to or around me, but I have found the dumbest user.

I want to know what he thought would happen.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rorac posted:

Maybe he thought it would print out so he could make a flip-book of the movie.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He probably thought it would print the guitar tabs, judging by the video title.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Read the video title. Dude just wanted the tabs to Smoke on the Water so he could go down to the guitar store and impress chicks.. like everyone else.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Crowley posted:

Read the video title. Dude just wanted the tabs to Smoke on the Water so he could go down to the guitar store and impress chicks.. like everyone else.

I've never tried, but it's never occurred to me that printing a youtube page wouldn't be able to actually print a screen of the video itself

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

OK, now I have to post this. It's not me, it's another poster from fellow nerdsite RPGnet.

quote:

There's far too much I could complain about. Far too much. But explain this to me: Who was stupid enough to think that, if we didn't have the password for a CD-ROM, putting the CD-ROM on a flatbed scanner and putting the resulting image in our data file would be just as good as having the actual data on the disc?

Note I didn't ask who was stupid enough to think I could work from the image of the disc. My e-mail chain shows I know who falls in that category.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Various posted:

OK, now I have to post this. It's not me, it's another poster from fellow nerdsite RPGnet.

Have you tried folding the piece of paper into a CD shape and putting it into your CD-ROM.

Guy might be a genius.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Um, it's a disc image. Just mount it using Daemon Tools or something :rolleye:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Inspector_666 posted:

Um, it's a disc image. Just mount it using Daemon Tools or something :rolleye:

First he'll need to scan it onto his computer.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

m.hache posted:

Do you have the bug report for this/was it posted publicly? I have a friend who is installing a new Equalogic in his environment and I want to make sure he doesn't get blasted a year down the road when this happens.
All I have is an internal email quoting the Dell tech stating "The issue is one we have seen and should be corrected wtih firmware later this year."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Garrand posted:

I've never tried, but it's never occurred to me that printing a youtube page wouldn't be able to actually print a screen of the video itself

It's Flash, so I'm a little surprised it didn't just print out 8 pages of solid magenta or initiate the printer's self-destruct function or something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Garrand posted:

It's hardware accelerated, so I'm kinda amazed it gracefully degraded to having a play icon in there rather than just printing whatever color the GPU composites over.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
A dev must have fork-bombed one of our Solaris box today or something, because it popped up on our monitoring system with a load average of 8.3 million. :psypop: I thought something was wrong with the monitoring plugin, but I logged into the box and nope, the 5 and 15-minute averages are literally seven digits. Somehow the system didn't die, and I wasn't on it soon enough to see what actually caused it (1-minute average was well below 1 by the time I saw the alert), so I have no idea what actually happened, but it must have been ugly. (Or it was just some weird bug in Solaris, like whatever is causing one of our other Solaris boxes to report irreconcilably different amounts of free and used memory depending on which tool you use to examine the memory statistics; thank god I'm not actually the guy responsible for managing these things. :v: )

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

8 days and counting until Zenith deletes all BDR cloud backups.

Apparently more than half the clients in the world have yet to be notified.

Since there are no more employees of Zenith Infotech, those clients won't be notified. Apparently they fired all of their support staff worldwide via an email 2 weeks ago.

The owner absconded with over 60 million dollars in cash.

Good times.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Billy the Mountain posted:

Since there are no more employees of Zenith Infotech, those clients won't be notified. Apparently they fired all of their support staff worldwide via an email 2 weeks ago.

Good times.

Holy poo poo. That's... not going to go well.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FireSight posted:

Holy poo poo. That's... not going to go well.

I can't wait to hear about this! :getin:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rorac posted:

I tried to print a GIF once. Spit out every single frame. Sorry dad for using all your paper and ink :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Billy the Mountain posted:

Good times.

To quote a wise man, the suspense is killing me. I hope it will last. :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Another user ripped a Dell Latitude E6420 out of a locked docking station. If you have one at hand, look at how thick the metal is where the dock latches on.

• Locked thread