Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Well, if it's for health reasons, then I can understand that. From what I've read of Mangaka, my first thought was "That CAN'T be good for your health!" Like I'm one to talk, but still...

I wonder if he plays Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Pleiades posted:

I wonder if he plays Dark Souls.

Dark Souls has several references to Berserk (being that it has been around for 20ish years).

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

lyricaldanichan posted:

Dark Souls has several references to Berserk (being that it has been around for 20ish years).

Yes, I know, but I only found out a few months ago through a reddit video. Dark Souls is how I got into Berserk.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about specific references but Dark Souls definitely nails the mood of the darkest parts of the comics.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

notZaar posted:

I don't know about specific references but Dark Souls definitely nails the mood of the darkest parts of the comics.

There's quite a few. Both have blacksmiths named Rickert, for example, and one of the heroes you can summon for a boss battle is the witch Beatrice, who is a ringer for Schierke. There's a number of bosses that have nods to Berserk, such as the moonlight moth boss in the old forest.

Also honkin' big swords, and I think Dark Souls II had a Dragonslayer, after it was discovered that everyone including the devs attempt a 'Guts run' once or twice in their Dark Soulin' careers.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Literally Kermit posted:

There's quite a few. Both have blacksmiths named Rickert, for example, and one of the heroes you can summon for a boss battle is the witch Beatrice, who is a ringer for Schierke. There's a number of bosses that have nods to Berserk, such as the moonlight moth boss in the old forest.

Also honkin' big swords, and I think Dark Souls II had a Dragonslayer, after it was discovered that everyone including the devs attempt a 'Guts run' once or twice in their Dark Soulin' careers.

Too bad its not in the same vein as Dragons Dogma.

Y'know, with the Black Swordsman and White Hawk armour.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Doing a 'Guts run' is actually pretty drat hard at times considering you can't use a bow, shield, or magic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

notZaar posted:

Doing a 'Guts run' is actually pretty drat hard at times considering you can't use a bow, shield, or magic.

Yeah, but it gets a bit easier once you find the repeating crossbow.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

notZaar posted:

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
How long do scanlations typically take when a new chapter is released? I know the raws were posted a few days ago but I'm curious how long the process can take.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

There is some unused content on the disk that suggests that Beatrice that was origionally going to be even more of a Scherkie reference. The one in the game is just a stand in for her since her content got cut at some point in development. The alternate unused Beatrice is a little girl.

Also in addition to the Crypt Blacksword, the regular great-swords in both DS1 and DS2 are both based on swords Guts uses in the golden age.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Unacknowledged posted:

How long do scanlations typically take when a new chapter is released? I know the raws were posted a few days ago but I'm curious how long the process can take.

In the case of Berserk: the first draft of the translation (including a complete transcription of the original Japanese for easy reference) usually takes a couple of days, and can be done with an early, poor-quality raw.
Said raw is then resized to the intended final resolution and typeset, which is another day. The typeset pages are reviewed and the translation updated to account for tone, consistency (there's 37+ volumes of lore to keep straight and it's not easy) and typesetting issues; this is a back-and-forth that goes on up until release, basically. We get our good-quality raw anytime from a few hours to several days after the Young Animal issue hits stores in Japan. The good-quality raw is cleaned for three(ish) days, then resized and neatly dropped in behind the already-typeset text. Then another day or two to make sure we get as many eyes-on for quality control as possible, then release.

Of course there are always hiccups in the process, getting Berserk out the door is mostly a two-man operation with only a handful of contributors. Contributors like our scanner, who unfortunately has not gotten his hands on the latest chapter yet and we don't know when he will. But we are investigating alternative solutions that could see the latest chapter being released this weekend (no promises).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Literally Kermit posted:

There's also the wheel skeletons, though rather than calling little kids jerks they run into you and shred your health in seconds. Arguably ruder.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Roland Jones posted:

There's also the wheel skeletons, though rather than calling little kids jerks they run into you and shred your health in seconds. Arguably ruder.

Er, no? The wheel skeletons and the wheel torture in Berserk are both based on a a real thing.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

LordMune posted:

In the case of Berserk: the first draft of the translation (including a complete transcription of the original Japanese for easy reference) usually takes a couple of days, and can be done with an early, poor-quality raw.
Said raw is then resized to the intended final resolution and typeset, which is another day. The typeset pages are reviewed and the translation updated to account for tone, consistency (there's 37+ volumes of lore to keep straight and it's not easy) and typesetting issues; this is a back-and-forth that goes on up until release, basically. We get our good-quality raw anytime from a few hours to several days after the Young Animal issue hits stores in Japan. The good-quality raw is cleaned for three(ish) days, then resized and neatly dropped in behind the already-typeset text. Then another day or two to make sure we get as many eyes-on for quality control as possible, then release.

Of course there are always hiccups in the process, getting Berserk out the door is mostly a two-man operation with only a handful of contributors. Contributors like our scanner, who unfortunately has not gotten his hands on the latest chapter yet and we don't know when he will. But we are investigating alternative solutions that could see the latest chapter being released this weekend (no promises).

Thanks for the explanation; I think it's easy to forget how much work goes into a quality release like Evil_Genius does. The effort that goes in does not go unnoticed, so thanks for work you do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Er, no? The wheel skeletons and the wheel torture in Berserk are both based on a a real thing.

Except the ones in Dark Souls are clearly a reference to Berserk, given the plethora of other references the Souls games (and other From games) have to it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Genocyber posted:

Except the ones in Dark Souls are clearly a reference to Berserk, given the plethora of other references the Souls games (and other From games) have to it.

And you base this on what? Dark Souls and Berserk are both the same kind of fantasy genre, it's not surprising some stuff will be the same. I'm not saying the Souls series has no Berserk references or things inspired by Berserk, but some of this stuff is really stretching it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

because the skeleton wheels also appear in berserk as enemies. it's not just the wheel torture. so, two enemies that are exactly the same, in a game that already has several obvious references to a manga...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The skeleton wheels as enemies is a pretty blatant reference, yeah.

Unacknowledged posted:

Thanks for the explanation; I think it's easy to forget how much work goes into a quality release like Evil_Genius does. The effort that goes in does not go unnoticed, so thanks for work you do.
This means so much to me. :negative: Also, recent developments indicate a weekend release is looking likelier than it did just moments ago.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
What if, From made an open ended Berzerk game where you traveled around mid land taking out apostles however you saw fit...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If From made a Berserk game I would die

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
From makes clunky buggy games. Platinum should have the Berserk license, they know how to make a fun brawler.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Is it worth reading this thing or is the unfinished story going to ruin my life? I only watched the anime and new movies

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Is it worth reading this thing or is the unfinished story going to ruin my life? I only watched the anime and new movies

Finish it you loving pleb that's not even a question

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Please just tell me if it ends on a dissatisfying note or if the last panel is a brave man looking towards the horizon etc. so I can face the future

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Please just tell me if it ends on a dissatisfying note or if the last panel is a brave man looking towards the horizon etc. so I can face the future
It will never be 'finished' so you might as well read it because it's The Best manga about a man with a giant sword. I read through all of the available chapters in about 2 months and I don't regret it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chas McGill posted:

It will never be 'finished' so you might as well read it because it's The Best manga about a man with a giant sword. I read through all of the available chapters in about 2 months and I don't regret it.

Berserk is about the most beautiful man alive being godly.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

Berserk is about the most beautiful man alive being godly.

He's stopping at nothing in the pursuit of his glorious dream!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dragon's Dogma has already got the foundation for bein' the best Berserk game, tyvm

Now it just needs crazier, totally batshit insane monster designs!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

notZaar posted:

From makes clunky buggy games. Platinum should have the Berserk license, they know how to make a fun brawler.

Oh my god, Platinum making a Berserk game with the kind of dismemberment in Metal Gear Rising :aaa:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

it depends on how easily you can walk away from a fairly low-intensity bit of story, because that's where it's at right now. there's a ton of cool poo poo that isn't in the anime or the movies that is totally worth checking out even if you can't read "all" of berserk.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's out and you can read it online. I like this chapter.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That was a pretty cool chapter, and that hopefully wraps up the scenes in Falconia for now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LordMune posted:

It's out and you can read it online. I like this chapter.

:vince:
Rickert just became my favourite character.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:munch:

Aww yiss. Somewhere between a Jane Austen novel and beatdown.

Hopefully this results in some rash behaviors soon. That last panel looks like a trigger for a mood shift.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Rickert, what a loving badass. Welp, now to wait for the next chapter! I am sure it will only take a year or something this time, no sweat!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, if you're going to have a chapter preceding a hiatus that's one hell of a way to do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally Kermit posted:

Also Artorias is basic Guts in the Berserker armor. And the Prepare to Die art is that shot of Guts in the armor posed in front of the moon

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Has another break been confirmed? I didn't see any mention of it during the chapter (usually that is translated as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Has another break been confirmed? I didn't see any mention of it during the chapter (usually that is translated as well)

I really do not feel or see that there is another break or it would have said so. People are over-reacting (I guess for a good reason)....-_-;;;