Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

WickedHate posted:

Call of Cthulhu.txt

Oh that's nothing. Try reading Re-animator.

I don't have the text on hand, but when Herbert West used his serum on white corpses they almost came back to life. But when he used it on a black corpse he became a super aggressive ape-like monstrosity. Like Lovecraft actually described him like that. (Might have been gorilla instead of ape, but still incredibly racist)

And that was his attempt at writing a comedy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he actually explained this as being because black people are so inferior to white people as to be a different species, so the serum didn't work right.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Don Gato posted:

Fast Eddie's purge still left a lot of these pages intact last time I checked.

I think Pokegirls got nuked (there was a This Troper video on it), but after over a year of the TVTropes threads not existing Fast Eddie probably decided "well the goons aren't watching anymore, so it's safe to let them put this creepy poo poo back up!"

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Man, that's the thing though, Lovecraft was really, really explicit about it.

You can't bullshit out of that. Everyone's favorite horror writer nobody actually reads was a racist. Sorry, tropers.

To be fair to tropers (even though I really shouldn't), I don't think that was published in most of his major collections.

Most of his major stories are a lot more subtle with the racism, to the point where a casual defender could just say "oh, that's just the time period" and shrug it off. But the stories themselves are still really loving racist, even if its expression is coded.

For example, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" doesn't contain any explicit racism, and Lovecraft avoids nearly all of his tells - no descriptions of "negroid" features, generally presents the people of Innsmouth as weird and unfriendly but not mentally deficient, etc. But if you step back and look at how racist Lovecraft was you can see it's a big screed against race-mixing and the ruin it brings to society.

I was just pointing out that TVTropes looked at it, said "oh, it's about mating with non-human creatures, not other races, guess Lovecraft really wasn't racist after all!" and called it a day. I was just trying to tie that to a bigger societal problem that almost undoubtedly influences their thinking on the matter.

EDIT:

RaspberryCommie posted:

I don't have the text on hand, but when Herbert West used his serum on white corpses they almost came back to life. But when he used it on a black corpse he became a super aggressive ape-like monstrosity. Like Lovecraft actually described him like that. (Might have been gorilla instead of ape, but still incredibly racist)

Edit: I forgot to mention that he actually explained this as being because black people are so inferior to white people as to be a different species, so the serum didn't work right.

Oh man I forgot Reanimator. I read it once in high school and now 10 years later I don't remember much about it except Herbert West was using WWI as a ready source of corpses.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 3, 2014

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

He wasn't racist. He was just disgusted that he wasn't 100% Teutonic and that he was partially Welsh. Nope, not racist. And I don't see how these kind of energies could influence a story about race-mixing and degeneration.

Again, totally not racist.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

That's not racism, the Welsh are white, silly :downs:

(This is how TVTropes believes racism works)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lovecraft named a black cat "friend of the family Man"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Venusian Weasel posted:

To be fair to tropers (even though I really shouldn't), I don't think that was published in most of his major collections.

Most of his major stories are a lot more subtle with the racism, to the point where a casual defender could just say "oh, that's just the time period" and shrug it off. But the stories themselves are still really loving racist, even if its expression is coded.
"For, in deceitfully small proportion, Marceline was a negress."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Not just a fictional cat, mind you. That was literally what he called his own pet cat, and then he named the beastie from 'The Rats in the Walls' after him.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Lovecraft seriously does come off less like a real person and more like :tvtropes: attempt at making a racist. He's just so over the top in how much he hates everything that isn't GLORIOUS TEUTONIC MASTER RACE that it wraps around and becomes hilarious.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Don Gato posted:

Lovecraft seriously does come off less like a real person and more like :tvtropes: attempt at making a racist. He's just so over the top in how much he hates everything that isn't GLORIOUS TEUTONIC MASTER RACE that it wraps around and becomes hilarious.

The people around him became less racist because of how extremely racist he was

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Don Gato posted:

And yet he married a Jewish woman, despite being an anti-semite as well.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Improbable Lobster posted:

The people around him became less racist because of how extremely racist he was

Literal KKK members looked at him and said "whoa is this how we look to other people"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

So did the dude from Dam Busters.

There's no point calling out casual racism, when it's snuggling against active racism.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RaspberryCommie posted:

And yet he married a Jewish woman, despite being an anti-semite as well.

They stayed married for like ten seconds, though. Also, he ate calf brains out of the can. Basically, Lovecraft was gross.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

RaspberryCommie posted:

There is one of his stories, "The Horror at Red Hook", where the 'horror' is just the protagonist seeing a bunch of non-white people walking down the street. Of course, later it turns out that all of them are part of some evil underground cult thing, but he freaks out about them way before he finds that out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Lovecraft would have been a Troper.

I know it's been said before, but it's true.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

There is one of his stories, "The Horror at Red Hook", where the 'horror' is just the protagonist seeing a bunch of non-white people walking down the street. Of course, later it turns out that all of them are part of some evil underground cult thing, but he freaks out about them way before he finds that out.

Guess I'm unliking Lovecraft on my FB Jesus christ.

oh well, death of the author and such

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Venusian Weasel posted:

That's not racism, the Welsh are white, silly :downs:

(This is how TVTropes believes racism works)

Tumblr too for that matter, but is there any actual proof to the Welsh thing or is it just literary heresay?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Tumblr too for that matter, but is there any actual proof to the Welsh thing or is it just literary heresay?

I'd assume he mentions this horrifying discovery in one of his correspondences.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
thanks for ruining one of the stories I really liked guys :saddowns:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AlbieQuirky posted:

They stayed married for like ten seconds, though. Also, he ate calf brains out of the can. Basically, Lovecraft was gross.

Even in his main wikipedia picture he looks kind of disgusted with himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd heard that Lovecraft chilled out later in life and became slightly less racist over time, is there any truth in that? Or was he a psycho till the end?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Read his Dream Cycle stuff. I remember it being much less racist. Better written as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The sad truth about any creative work is that if it's more than a generation old you're probably going to find something pretty horrible in it. Lovecraft was fairly off and on with his views on race in his works - as people have pointed out some of it is REALLY blatant, but other works don't really have anything too bad about them, other than the fact that the guy that wrote them has some pretty terrible opinions. It's okay to like things that are created by lovely people, and a lot of what Lovecraft created has clearly gone on to become way bigger than the man himself.

It's just good to be aware that when his stories are being racist, it's not for any kind of ironic purpose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd heard that Lovecraft chilled out later in life and became slightly less racist over time, is there any truth in that? Or was he a psycho till the end?

He became a lot less racist but that was only a few years before he died. It's in his letters.

It was basically around the time Hitler was in power in Germany and starting to follow through on all sorts of racist plans that snapped ol' Howie out of it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

It was basically around the time Hitler was in power in Germany and starting to follow through on all sorts of racist plans that snapped ol' Howie out of it.

:tvtropes: says otherwise:

TV Tropes posted:

He also expressed racist and xenophobic views; one recorded criticism of Nazi Germany was that Hitler's plans were too optimistic. ("The crazy thing is not what Adolf wants, but the way he sees it & starts out to get it. I know he’s a clown, but by God, I like the boy!" –Letter from Lovecraft to Donald Wandrei, November 1936)

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Asgerd posted:

Apparently what caused his support for the Nazis to end was when he learned that Jews were openly being beaten in the streets from a German acquaintance. Still, although his views might have moderated somewhat, they were still probably pretty intensely racist.

A couple of comments responding to me upthread - it's a lot easier to dismiss Lovecraft's racism as a product of the time - the n-word was still a common slur, and the line about having a deceitfully small amount of black blood was in line with the one-drop rule. It's still racist, but it does lend itself to being in line with the times.

To really understand the actual depth of his racism, you have to dive into his less accessible stuff (i.e. buried in an expensive, low-volume book series):

America's most misunderstood horror writer posted:

Of course they can’t let niggers use the beach at a Southern resort – can you imagine sensitive persons bathing near a pack of greasy chimpanzees? The only thing that makes life endurable where blacks abound is the Jim Crow principle, & I wish they’d apply it in N.Y. both to niggers & to the more Asiatic type of puffy, rat-faced Jew. Either stow em out of sight or kill em off – anything so that a white man may walk along the streets without shuddering nausea.

–Letter to A.E.P. Gamwell, February 1925.

It's stuff like that that really makes me doubt he really "repented" from his racism all that much late in life.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that if you had only read his most reprinted stories, you could argue in good faith that more racist elements were just products of his time. To see how utterly reprehensible his beliefs were requires some actual digging, something most people who read Lovecraft probably aren't going to do.

But :laffo: at TVTropes, whoever wrote the creator page totally recommended finding his collected letters and said they were worth the time, it's pretty clear they didn't read them based on how much they were defending Lovecraft.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Venusian Weasel posted:

But :laffo: at TVTropes, whoever wrote the creator page totally recommended finding his collected letters and said they were worth the time, it's pretty clear they didn't read them based on how much they were defending Lovecraft.

No one ever reads Lovecraft. Green Squid Man is like Steampunk and Tesla these days.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Asgerd posted:

Not to defend Lovecraft (or Hitler), but this seems like a pretty misleading statement. The Final Solution wasn't devised until the Wannsee Conference in 1942, and up until the invasion of Poland the Nazi policy towards the Jews was intimidation and coercion in an attempt to force emigration. So it's not all that different from a lot of Jim Crow/KKK stuff.

Saying "thinks Hitler was too optimistic" doesn't mean what seems to be implied here.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Electric Nova posted:

Can an anime inspired Magical Girl story work in prose?

(this is probably stupid)

Because that's what i've been trying with my story. Not aiming for publishing or anything (there's no audience for it in the UK exactly)

My fight descriptions are slightly Animesque.

I'm up to around 20 pages now, with a prologue and 3 chapters. I'm gonna carry on writing anyway, but how well can the characteristics of the genre (transformation sequences, Monster of the Week, Calling Your Attacks) translate to Prose?

Volatile Chills posted:

From my experience, most of it translates pretty well

"You ever wanted to make a manga and then realized wait, drawing is really friggin hard?"

Lightning Knight posted:

A Christianity-based sitcom

Yes, the Moral Substitute for sitcoms.

But seriously, the concept is original and I know from experience that time in a (the right) youth group can be hilarious.

I don't want to be (very) offensive, but I also don't want a Jesus Taboo. This should be something that would lead people to God, but wouldn't be as Anvillicious as, say, Facing the Giants (which I still defend was a good movie, but I digress).

There's no perfect characters (except God, but he's pretty much unseen) and plenty of pop-culture Shout Outs.

Main character ideas:

Trace - The Only Sane Man sixth grader moving up to the youth group. He breaks the fourth wall and talks to the audience.

Benny - Trace's knuckle-headed daredevil best friend.

Julie - Nice, but slightly nervous and might be OCD. Trace's crush.

Haily - The popular kissup who gossips about people, but is a Closet Geek.

Theo - The self-proclaimed "church geek" who gets harassed the most. He's mostly the winner at Bible trivia and answers all the Sunday school questions.

Luke - The perverted oddball. No one knows what he does outside of church, nor do they really want to.

Catherine - An unconventional Deadpan Snarker. She picks on Theo, her Vitriolic Best Bud, and is often at odds with Haily.

Gordon - The simple southern middle school pastor. He surprisingly gives good advice.

Sheldon - Conceited head youth pastor who presents his interpretations as fact. He becomes more humble as the series progresses.

I'm asking you guys, fans of mainstream TV, what would you want to see from a show like this?

"This is definitely a good place to ask for help with my dream project!"

Handsome Rob posted:

Mutual Worf Effect

So we all know what The Worf Effect is.

New guy comes onto the scene and establishes himself by turning the [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy]strongest
and toughest character on the heroes side (or possibly Vice Versa) into paste.

So I wondering if it's possible to write a scene where two characters, for lack of a better term worf to each other.

Their both the strongest guys on their respective sides, and they fight it out, and manage to show off their strength in an impressive manor seemingly kicking each other's asses.

Maybe they are both Made of Iron, or Made Of Diamond, or Made Of Air, or they have a technique that the other is particularly weak to or whatever.

It works better if neither have really lost before then, and have had impressive strength feats before that as well.

What do you guys think?

"Unstoppable Worf meets Immovable Worf! Imagine four Worfs on a cliff! What if two really tough guys punched each other in the face AT THE SAME TIME???"

Bigger Ben posted:

Last Words of your Characters

Title says it all, if you have any characters with interesting last words, post them here.

Major Tom posted:

(After landing a seemingly disabling hit upon the Guardian Angel M-Tech)
"Yes! Y-YES! I HAVE DONE IT! I HAVE DEFEATED THE TERRAN DEVIL! All praise to Hilancer Kalen!"
(The Guardian Angel recovers and steadies)
"W-What? NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"
(Hilancer Kalen begins firing his M-Tech's weapons wildly at the Guardian Angel)
"YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME DEVIL! I WILL SURVIVE! I WILL BE VICTORIOUS!"
(The Guardian Angel then lashes out with its powerful beam cannon)
"I AM HILANCER KALEN AND I WILL SURVIVE!"
(the beam strikes Kalen's M-Tech dead center pierces through and then the M-Tech vaporizes)

Hi I'm Major Tom, I like to play pretend with a word processorwrite stories

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Harime Nui posted:

"You ever wanted to make a manga and then realized wait, drawing is really friggin hard?"

Sadly no, it only works as classical english heroic verse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is M-Tech? It's almost like posting random bits of your writing completely out of context can seem really choppy and confusing!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
From context it seems to be his substitute for the word Gundam. :tipshat:

e:

iowaforever posted:

"I know... I know it will... My... my family is safe... many families are safe... that’s all that matters. That’s... all that... matters."

"....breathing.... dificult, then.... strangely easy."

Sabre's Edge posted:

I'm hardly one to carp given how I abuse them, but you may want to cut down on using ellipses. Overused, they detract rather than add; consider putting in other ways to break up the dialogue.

Eye'm the Cutest! posted:

^ On the other hand stylistically it can give an easier time conveying that the character may be struggling to put words out. Either s/he thinks too slow, can't hold the air to word it out in a single go (implying either great sickness such as asthma or severe respiratory injury), or is so mentally unprepared/incapable that s/he can't make a complete uninterrupted sentence.

Of course stylistically it's trying to emulate the often paused speech in visual media.

also I notice Tom has new sigtext now:

quote:

"Allah may guide their bullets, but Jesus helps those who aim down the sights."

charming!

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 4, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sadly no, it only works as classical english heroic verse.

Hwæt! Wé Higskula in géardagum
þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon·
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon
Oft Suzumiya Haruhi Scésceaþena þréatum

*Translators note keikakuHigskula means plan High Schooler.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harime Nui posted:

also I notice Tom has new sigtext now:

quote:

"Allah may guide their bullets, but Jesus helps those who aim down the sights."
charming!

What the hell is this even supposed to mean?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It means someone should show him the Christian sitcom thread

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What the hell is this even supposed to mean?
I'm guessing he thinks Arabs fight by randomly firing their guns in the air while shouting "AK-47s for everyone!"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nintendo Kid posted:

He became a lot less racist but that was only a few years before he died. It's in his letters.

Having met New England degenerates, I have to say his description of them was far too forgiving.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BioEnchanted posted:

Hwæt! Wé Higskula in géardagum
þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon·
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon
Oft Suzumiya Haruhi Scésceaþena þréatum

*Translators note keikakuHigskula means plan High Schooler.

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Mutual Worf posted:

Their both the strongest guys on their respective sides, and they fight it out, and manage to show off their strength in an impressive manor seemingly kicking each other's asses.
Why are they fighting in a large house?

• Locked thread