Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If we're talking about mutation, I'd be far more concerned about common rodents becoming carriers or some such thing.

Though I'm not particularly concerned about that, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've heard some news reports saying that we could develop a vaccine in ~3-5 years, but I don't know if that's true or not.

There seems to be at least one vaccine going into clinical trials very soon. I thought I had read that a US pharmaceutical company was also near starting trials, but I can't find the link at the moment.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

They're not vaccines; to the best of my knowledge only post-infection treatments are being tested.

ECDC RRA that I linked last night referenced two vaccines, one in Stage 1 trials and one which skipped ahead to Stage 2 trials.

E:

ReidRansom posted:

If we're talking about mutation, I'd be far more concerned about common rodents becoming carriers or some such thing.

Though I'm not particularly concerned about that, personally.

Read up to Lujo Hemorrhagic Fever

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

There really isn't much of a chance at all of that happening, and it'd be good if people would stop mentioning an airborne mutation as a possible scenario.

Seriously. I mean, what do, to name a few, AIDS, smallpox, cholera, and bubonic plague have in common? They've all caused epidemics killing millions. And another thing: they're also not airborne. The common cold on the other hand...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

My Imaginary GF posted:

ECDC RRA that I linked last night referenced two vaccines, one in Stage 1 trials and one which skipped ahead to Stage 2 trials.

The one you linked had no references to Ebola vaccines. I can't find any references to vaccine research in any other ECDC RRAs on Ebola, either. Are you thinking of a different document?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

The one you linked had no references to Ebola vaccines. I can't find any references to vaccine research in any other ECDC RRAs on Ebola, either. Are you thinking of a different document?

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/Ebola-Sierra%20Leone-Liberia-Guinea-Nigeria-23-09-2014-rapid-risk-assessment.pdf

Bottom of page 3

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Isn't the Common Cold pretty much spread in the same way as Ebola?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

OK, thanks. Isn't it interesting that ZMapp is getting the rushed rollout when there are vaccines further along in development!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, thanks. Isn't it interesting that ZMapp is getting the rushed rollout when there are vaccines further along in development!
Free market in action. (Or, possibly, the vaccines will do nothing for the already afflicted. Or a mixture of both.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nessus posted:

Free market in action. (Or, possibly, the vaccines will do nothing for the already afflicted. Or a mixture of both.)

The vaccines would be a lot better than Zmapp- the most probably explanation for what's transpired is that individuals who stand to profit from ZMapp gave people at Wellcome and Gates a good elevator pitch.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

The vaccines would be a lot better than Zmapp- the most probably explanation for what's transpired is that individuals who stand to profit from ZMapp gave people at Wellcome and Gates a good elevator pitch.

Production of vaccines can't reach adequate capacity before unacceptable collapse of susceptible population. ZMapp offers an alternative, albiet a bit of a longshot, that is scalable before unacceptable collapse of susceptible population.

E:

'Unacceptable' being measured as the range of total cases given a year timeframe, R0 of 10, doubling period of 7.15 to 15.3 days, and 1st Jan 2015 unadjusted case number of 100,000.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 4, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

ZMapp is just being funded by its manufacturer at this point and the doses were given to American patients...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/health/in-ebola-outbreak-who-should-get-experimental-drug.html

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Discendo Vox posted:

They're not vaccines; to the best of my knowledge only post-infection treatments are being tested.

There are actual vaccines being trialed right now. That ZMAPP stuff is just an treatment, it gets alot of press but that's not a vaccine.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Should a vaccine be rushed to completion, does Ebola represent the same level of threat that smallpox did, such that we might see a global effort to eradicate it? Or is it not worth it given the numerous animal reservoirs that exist?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

ZMapp is just being funded by its manufacturer at this point and the doses were given to American patients...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/health/in-ebola-outbreak-who-should-get-experimental-drug.html

ZMapp development has been funded by the federal government since its inception.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Production of vaccines can't reach adequate capacity before unacceptable collapse of susceptible population. ZMapp offers an alternative, albiet a bit of a longshot, that is scalable before unacceptable collapse of susceptible population.

I'm not particularly confident that similar scalability couldn't be achieved for the vaccines if the nigh-unlimited resources of the groups aligning behind ZMapp were to direct their efforts vaccinewise.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Glad to hear that the odds of being quarantined are really low. Now I feel bad about being scared. People are dying in Africa and I was worried about being inconvenienced. :smith:

Honestly, is there any potential for good to come from all of this? Will this accelerate research towards a vaccine or better treatment? Will the world become more cooperative? Will this bring the US closer to UHC? I'm sure these are naive questions but I figure I'll ask them anyway.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Drudge Report cycling the panic at the moment with something about a hundred possible cases of Ebola throughout the states.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blue Star posted:

Will this accelerate research towards a vaccine or better treatment?

Yes, having a very large stock of people infected and people who survive will mean that there's people to test on for treatments and vaccines. But, ya know, that will be tied to probably a minimum of 100,000 people dead and at least half again as much suffering through all the pain and managing to survive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, having a very large stock of people infected and people who survive will mean that there's people to test on for treatments and vaccines.

Not necessarily- they won't be able to collect very good information if this is really a large-scale interventionary approach. Of course, the sort of spray-and-pray administration it's going to get isn't going to be all that efficacious, either.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I would like to briefly state that this thread was created by someone with the sole intention of tricking all D&D posters into thinking that he is sincere and should be spoken with.

My Imaginary Girlfriend is actually attempting to hurt all of us by wasting our time and lying constantly in order to make fools of us.

The times where it may appear that he is being sincere have actually been constructed by him in order to generate a facade behind which he can act out his insane goals of hurting liberals apparently. Why that would be his goal, I don't know but why do republicans exist. He is a nazi. That is the OP of this thread. My Imaginary GF. Never speak to him.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Cool Bear posted:

I would like to briefly state that this thread was created by someone with the sole intention of tricking all D&D posters into thinking that he is sincere and should be spoken with.

My Imaginary Girlfriend is actually attempting to hurt all of us by wasting our time and lying constantly in order to make fools of us.

The times where it may appear that he is being sincere have actually been constructed by him in order to generate a facade behind which he can act out his insane goals of hurting liberals apparently. Why that would be his goal, I don't know but why do republicans exist. He is a nazi. That is the OP of this thread. My Imaginary GF. Never speak to him.

Holy poo poo man, go to bed. Ugh.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Cool Bear posted:

This is terrible :ohdear:

Now what exactly does this have to do with the Ebola epidemic?

I think we should quarantine everyone in the USA that have come in contact with folks infected with Ebola. If they survive, let them go. If not, burn the bodies. I hope I don't sound like a nazi.

Sometimes we should be willing to break a few eggs in order to make an omelet.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 4, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cool Bear posted:

Hmm...one of you has quite the Rap sheet and it ain't GF

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

This is a spillover from another thread. Bear just needs to go to bed.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

lurker1981 posted:

I think we should quarantine everyone in the USA that have come in contact with folks infected with Ebola. If they survive, let them go. If not, burn the bodies. I hope I don't sound like a nazi.

Yeah, you sound like a Nazi.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Liberia places restrictions on reporting on Ebola

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/10/liberia-places-restrictions-ebola-coverage-2014103135954899709.html

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

lurker1981 posted:

Good idea, heres my design for the quarantine camp

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Things sound really, really bad in Liberia and its like the country is about to collapse within a month. From what I've read, there's an outbreak at the army barracks and the police barracks, in addition to foodstocks running critically low in the rural areas.

Pretty much any news out of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea is coming from the capital cities only. The rural efforts have completely collapsed.

Worse, malaria season is about to begin. Those ebola quarantine villages will probably fill up drat fast, even by non-ebola cases, and could possibly amplify transmission.

There just doesn't seem to be a roadplan in place that can adequately address West Africa's imminent needs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Terrible pictures of Liberia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ears-3-500.html

^^^Wasn't there rumors of an outbreak at a prison a few weeks ago? What happened with that? Were they all abandoned to die? Let out?

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Apparently I got even more trolled than I thought I did, but listen,

John Maynard Keynes was loving right and if you gently caress with him, then I am going to post in your threads and you are not going to like it.

My Imaginary GF is probably ok and I was probably wrong.

edit: I retract my apology. He is a troll, playing the long game. He will copy and paste things here to maintain credibility.

Cool Bear fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 4, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cool Bear posted:

I would like to briefly state a bunch of nonsense :words:

Once upon a time, cheerleading and trying to import drama from one thread to another was bannable in D&D. In lieu of those civilized times, I'd point out that it is still mockable and that you're a complete child.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

goatse.cx posted:

Good idea, heres my design for the quarantine camp

Is it supposed to look like a bomb?

:kimchi:

VVVVV - I thought they restricted reporting on Ebola because they didn't want people to panic... or maybe the CDC has absolutely no clue in regards to how to contain this thing. I mean, if we look at the historical evidence prior to this time and date, one could conceivably think that the CDC doesn't have a clue in regards to how to contain this thing.

Maybe they thought keeping people ignorant was going to prevent mass outbreaks. After all, it was the possession of knowledge that resulted in Adam and Eve being evicted from the Garden of Eden.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 4, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So what is the purpose of restricting reporting on Ebola, anyway? I suppose it would be possible to amplify a rumor horribly and cause untold suffering, perhaps even helping to spread the disease.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

So what is the purpose of restricting reporting on Ebola, anyway? I suppose it would be possible to amplify a rumor horribly and cause untold suffering, perhaps even helping to spread the disease.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)61594-4/fulltext

I highly recommend reading this whole document, is very brief, and just as applicable to Liberia. I'll quote and bold below:

The Lancet posted:

The present Ebola virus disease outbreak is spreading across west African nations with alarming rapidity.1, 2 As of Sept 21, the total number of recorded cases has soared to 6263, with 2917 deaths.1 The situation is very likely to continue to worsen when the affected countries witness the exhaustion of their capacities to respond to a threat of this magnitude, and because massive international assistance is still sorely lacking on the ground.2—5

With the objective to put newly infected people into quarantine and to limit the virus' spread, the government authorities of Sierra Leone decided to impose an unprecedented containment, ordering the nation's 6·2 million inhabitants to stay at home for three full days, from Sept 19 to 21, with a patrol force of 7000 teams making door-to-door visits to detect possible Ebola victims.

Although containment would at first appear to be an easily enacted and economical strategy, its implementation has proven to be more complex, for several reasons. First, how can the entire population of a country, the territory of which extends over more than 70 000 km2, be confined while many services must be maintained? Decreeing such an obligation within even a smaller area can be difficult. Attempts to place the West Point slum in Morovia, Liberia into quarantine, at the end of August, exemplified this difficulty.

Communication has a crucial role among the challenges presented by the size of the country. How could information be conveyed to the entire population, including the most remote rural areas, which haven't been taken into account since the beginning of the outbreak?4 In order for the people to accept containment, it is necessary that they understand and accept the reasoning behind such measures.

Moreover, containment efforts are difficult to implement. Homes and shelters are of paramount importance. Consequently, in a country where access to basic infrastructure is far from widespread, can people truly be expected to remain confined in their homes for three days without needing to be resupplied with basic necessities such as water? In a country where more than half of the population lives on less than US$1·25 per day, how can the government expect to contain all those for whom having food on the table at night depends on that day's labour? How can containment be imposed on a rural population who are engaged in agricultural activities, in the middle of the crop harvest? Such practical issues transform into numerous preoccupations that make people apathetic to the authorities' instructions.

Mandating containment at such a large scale raises many questions. The purpose of these efforts could well be to send a political message to reassure the population by creating the illusion that the authorities have the ability to control a major crisis on the scale of the current Ebola outbreak.

We declare no competing interests.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nessus posted:

So what is the purpose of restricting reporting on Ebola, anyway?

Same reason as always, damage control. You don't want the world to see people in blue jeans spraying chlorine on dying 5 year olds.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

TOOT BOOT posted:

Same reason as always, damage control. You don't want the world to see people in blue jeans spraying chlorine on dying 5 year olds.

Or, more likely, you have too much pride to admit that you don't know what you are doing, and you are willing to let people suffer and die rather than let others know the truth.

VVVVV - I sometimes like to attribute things to malice when more likely they are the result of stupidity. It makes me feel like my superiors aren't inferior to me. I mean, it's not like anyone here has ever been in a situation where someone has been promoted over them for reasons that have nothing to do with competency.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The simplest answer: the authorities have lost control, and to admit that would be to invite panic and civil war.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lurker1981 posted:

Now what exactly does this have to do with the Ebola epidemic?

My omelet is a bunch of dead people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Regarde Aduck posted:

My omelet is a bunch of dead people.

Amen, bro.

Seriously, though, I think people with ebola should be kept away from uninfected people.

As politically incorrect as my opinion may be, I stand by it. Folks who can literally murder others by sharing bodily fluids are dangerous, especially when our main means of breeding involves doing exactly that.

One could conceivably even say that to murder one person could be considered genocide, if you think about all the possible benefits that could have been derived from the unborn descendants of that person (not to mention that it is not entirely unreasonable to think that you could create billions of people from, say, an original group of 10 people). Then again, there is the possibility that one of your descendants could be the next Hitler or Stalin...

edit: Has the CDC found a cure for AIDS yet?

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 4, 2014

• Locked thread