Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Only 25 tries to FC Wonderful Rush EX. But for a few dumb mistakes I'd have prolly had in in 20. In any case, better than the 42 it took for Bokura wa Ima no Naka de. And now back to Mermaid Festa, 31 so far and no end in sight.

e: not really that far off though. just 1 or 2 between good/bad/miss usually, but mostly right at the same place.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
There are two parts I keep screwing up on Wonderful Rush EX: the beginning and/or the ending. Otherwise I would've gotten it by now. Bokura wa Ima no Naka de is even more frustrating because I'm so inconsistent with some of the scales. I feel like I can get Mermaid Festa 2, but the middle part is hard to time too.

On the plus side, I got a Smile UR Honoka on a whim drawing ahhhh

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I had the choice tonight on either to 1.) use my rank level up threshold to do Mermaid Festa 1 EX four times consecutively for good focused practice towards a full combo, or 2.) just keep doing more Hard daily songs to finish off completion gems that I will never be able to repeat again.

I chose #2 because that EX chart is janky as heck.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

or 2.) just keep doing more Hard daily songs to finish off completion gems that I will never be able to repeat again.

Are the dailies changing soon?

Aku posted:

I feel like I can get Mermaid Festa 2, but the middle part is hard to time too.

Yeah, that's what's mostly getting me too. I can do it, I just haven't done it without screwing up somewhere else yet. I'm confident I'll get it though. Rolling with 5 perfect locks now, maybe that'll do it.

Grats on the UR too. Next event is Score Match, so that'll be a huge help.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ReidRansom posted:

Are the dailies changing soon?

Doesn't look like it, Group B dailies weren't added to the JP version until mid-April of this year. You have plenty of time to spend 2,500 LP getting both gems for each of Group A's songs.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

ReidRansom posted:

Or

Option 2:

Spend thousands of $$, win the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2DKqNVlhLY

x however many times it takes to get this

Oh my god, I thought you were kidding. He really did spend a like a grand a half in that video didn't he? Jeeeeeeeeezus

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Wow, just hours after I did the 10+1 scouting, they announce that they changed the drop rates and made an SR a guaranteed drop. If I didn't get an SR in my scouting I would be so furious right now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Don't they usually wait to do this until the end of the event? Ah well. Whatever.

AF posted:

Oh my god, I thought you were kidding. He really did spend a like a grand a half in that video didn't he? Jeeeeeeeeezus

Going by the thumb there, says he spent 10x10,000 yen in that video, which is just under $1,000 US currently. But he only pulled 5 URs for all that, and well, you can see how many others he already has. That dude has almost certainly well in excess of $5-6K on this game. How much more? gently caress if I know. Probably a lot. And there are a lot of people who do that. Even with a good job and few expenses I can't wrap my head around throwing away that much money on a game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I saw a booster pack of love live at the card shop and bought it. It didn't come with any app gems/freebies and I didn't even get nico.

They announced a while back that they were gonna do 11-draw SR events more often so now it's like every other week.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Because I'm shameless, went ahead and picked up some gems for a pull.

UR Eli + 2 SRs :woop:

probably took all my luck in exchange, but that's a problem for some time later on

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

ReidRansom posted:

Going by the thumb there, says he spent 10x10,000 yen in that video, which is just under $1,000 US currently. But he only pulled 5 URs for all that, and well, you can see how many others he already has. That dude has almost certainly well in excess of $5-6K on this game. How much more? gently caress if I know. Probably a lot. And there are a lot of people who do that. Even with a good job and few expenses I can't wrap my head around throwing away that much money on a game.

It's not like this game holds you up for money, either. It's not hard to get a decent amount of gems just by playing casually. That's goddamn insane.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ReidRansom posted:

Because I'm shameless, went ahead and picked up some gems for a pull.

UR Eli + 2 SRs :woop:

probably took all my luck in exchange, but that's a problem for some time later on

Lucky. I'm still waiting to grab the FC for Festa Vol.1 and Kitto Seishun ga Kikoeru to finish off my 50, assuming I'm good enough to pull them off before the end of the month. E: or just wait until the EX event song comes out, that's at least one too E2: or wait to log in today for 1 and then survive EX Kitto Seishun for another, no FCs required. This game really does give a lot of gems!

Miijhal posted:

It's not like this game holds you up for money, either. It's not hard to get a decent amount of gems just by playing casually. That's goddamn insane.

I could swear some people are just driven by instant gratification, and nothing else matters to them so they destroy their own finances/lives all they want.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 26, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine if that guy's iPhone broke and he didn't have the backup code.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
50-gem roll, oh boy oh boy

Just 2 SRs. Well, that's slightly better than nor--

resulting in the visibly disturbed epic event-reward bunny goddess

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

I could swear some people are just driven by instant gratification, and nothing else matters to them so they destroy their own finances/lives all they want.

This is ALMOST as bad as people who spend thousands of dollars on multiple copies of just one CD, just to make their favorite member of AKB48 popular in a monthly poll.

I say "almost", because those AKB fans then proceed to throw the CDs away because they already did their job and don't care about the music. At least he'll benefit from all those URs when he plays.

50-gem roll, oh boy oh boy

Just 2 SRs. Well, that's slightly better than nor--

resulting in the visibly disturbed epic event-reward bunny goddess

Good stuff. I'm also slightly jealous of your blue Rare Maki, because she's the only one I need now to get all nine members of each color.

----

Ultimately I couldn't full combo Bokura EX by tonight, but hopefully I can for Kitto Seishun.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I do wish I had that Umi. For whatever reason I didn't even try for the extra on that event, and I regret it now.

e: drat, Kitto Seishun ain't easy.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 26, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Aku posted:

This is ALMOST as bad as people who spend thousands of dollars on multiple copies of just one CD, just to make their favorite member of AKB48 popular in a monthly poll.

I say "almost", because those AKB fans then proceed to throw the CDs away because they already did their job and don't care about the music. At least he'll benefit from all those URs when he plays.
Didn't that guy also dump all those CDs in hidden locations like they were dead bodies? He must have known what he was doing was antisocial.

quote:

Good stuff. I'm also slightly jealous of your blue Rare Maki, because she's the only one I need now to get all nine members of each color.
That's got to be a difficult achievement, I'm pretty sure I don't have nearly that many SRs, and still only the one UR.

ReidRansom posted:

e: drat, Kitto Seishun ain't easy.

I can see the notes coming, but my thumbs don't move quickly or precisely enough! :gibs:

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

That's got to be a difficult achievement, I'm pretty sure I don't have nearly that many SRs, and still only the one UR.

Oh, I meant just a regular Rare Maki, not SR or UR. I'd flip if I actually had that many SRs. haha

quote:

I can see the notes coming, but my thumbs don't move quickly or precisely enough! :gibs:

I just tried it out, and it's ridiculously fun. The scales are a killer though. :gonk:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I just unlocked Kitto Seishun and jesuuus christ those scales. Admittedly I'm terrible at this game but still. :v:

Also I really hate Love and Peace. It's not even hard, just repetitive to the point where I always get twitchy and mess up at the end.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Finally. 73 attempts, but one more down.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sorry for double post but After School Navigators EX is a blast.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I almost got it, screwed up on the massive scales though. I'll need a few more plays before I manage to fullcombo it.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I still can't beat it. I wanna beat it without using a love gem. Wait, I just beat it wooooo!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ReidRansom posted:

Sorry for double post but After School Navigators EX is a blast.
I'd empty quote this post, but I wanted to remark that it really showed me how far I'd come in tracking and even sightreading charts since I started playing this game as the first of only a few rhythm games I've ever tried.

Before I used to set my input offset to something like -7 to matching my taps to the rings visually, but now I'm confident enough in keeping time to slam it all the way to -28 and let my thumbs hit the screen while listening to the music.

It also helps that After School Navigators has that driving percussion and is generally :rock: So glad I saved up all my tokens for EX.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
After School Navigators EX definitely makes up for the Hard chart, mainly because it actually goes WITH the song. Feels metal as gently caress, I love it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I refreshed my LP a few more times than I really needed to this time around, especially with the event ending a couple hours earlier than previous, but I didn't want to wake up to any surprises. Also, really wanted a couple extra chances at full combo on EX Navigators. Alas, 445 combo and 1 good was the best I could manage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there any way to see the strength of teams making it to rank 1000-? I was able to get rank 2000 this turn around but kept getting 227-233 for the song so I don't know if people are just using stronger teams to grind (therefore more/song) or using more love gems. I decided not to use gems this time around when I saw my ranking in the middle of the event. I was already around 1200 halfway through when beforehand I was 7-800 so there was no way I could grind enough without spending a good chunk of what could be my first lucky 11 draw.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Event rankings are mostly gem-driven. As long as you beat the song, you get the points to rank up. It does help to be a high overall rank since you can play more songs before your LP runs out, but the more gems you have, the more you're able to play for those event points.

I'll admit that it's very frustrating, which is why I didn't bother to go for the 2nd SR card this time around because of the turnaround failure from the last event.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Score rankings are card-driven, though. I can rank in the Top 100 without even FC-ing an event song on Hard, thanks to my all SR+UR teams.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snow Halation posted:

Score rankings are card-driven, though. I can rank in the Top 100 without even FC-ing an event song on Hard, thanks to my all SR+UR teams.

How many points per run did you get during the last event? And how strong was your team for the sake of comparison?
Even if I FC every time and get 233/song, someone who gets 240+ just goes up faster than me even if we grind and use the same amount of love stones. That's like free half of a EX song during every run! Imagine how many points (275? 300?) per event song people who have event high scored 275-350k get. My high score was 236k for comparison, and that was a 235 or 237 point score.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

How many points per run did you get during the last event? And how strong was your team for the sake of comparison?
Even if I FC every time and get 233/song, someone who gets 240+ just goes up faster than me even if we grind and use the same amount of love stones. That's like free half of a EX song during every run! Imagine how many points (275? 300?) per event song people who have event high scored 275-350k get. My high score was 236k for comparison, and that was a 235 or 237 point score.

The variation isn't all that large on a percentage basis. It is nothing close to half of an Expert song per run, unless you are well over rank 200, where you can play 5-6 Expert songs on one refill. Suppose that you are sufficiently good at the game to somehow FC every song, and you want to compare a mediocre team of mostly R cards (which should achieve an A rank on Hard for an FC) to a strong team that can routinely get S score on Expert.

[Edit for clarity here: the point gains are based 100% on your difficulty, rank and combo. There is nothing better than 233 points per Hard song or 404 points per Expert song.]

Hard, A rank, S combo: 223 pts (4.96 ratio)
Expert, S rank, S combo: 404 pts (5.39 ratio, or the equivalent of 242.4 per 45 tokens spent)

The improvement in this case is about 8.7% improved efficiency (about 1 / 11.5). If you spend 50 gems, then the competitor with a strong team will spend 46 to achieve the same result. Though it is significant, that is not a strikingly large advantage. And frankly, if you are spending enough gems (~30-50?) to get a second SR from an event, then you have probably purchased a few 10+1 rolls, so you can get an S rank on Hard to divide these gains in two.

On the other hand, if you are level 68 (59 LP pool +1 regen => 64 event tokens from 4x15 songs) and someone else is level 78 (64 LP pool +1 regen => 70 event tokens from 2x25 + 1x15 songs), then that is already a 9.4% efficiency improvement. The point-based event ranking is much more strongly a measure of how many gems you have spent previously (on a higher level) and on the current event (for more refills), but not so much on your card quality. The level difference I illustrate above probably costs no more than a single 10+1 roll during an event, though I did not run the numbers. The higher levels also come with the added benefit of possibly wasting fewer LP from sleep, work, etc.

Oblivion590 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 1, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah ok. I didn't know 233 was the max per run. I must've thought it went higher cuz I got 233 at 233-235k scores and my max was 236k so imagined getting more than 233 on that run.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The next event is score match though, as is every other one from here on out, and your team does make a difference in that. But keep in mind that most players aren't super whaley, so while you're going to end up against a few, it shouldn't be that bad.

Oblivion590 posted:

And frankly, if you are spending enough gems (~30-50?) to get a second SR from an event,...

It doesn't take nearly that many. I don't keep track, but it's maybe 10-15 tops. I've gotten a second SR from every event except the second one (Umi) and the recent Nozomi one, and I don't think I've ever used more gems than whatever you earn during the event itself. Probably fewer. But I suppose it really depends on your rank, and so how many plays you're getting per refresh, as well. But then you rank up more often at lower ones, so I dunno. Someone somewhere has probably done all the math on it.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

My top run was 288003 points, with just an A combo.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quit spending so much money on a mobile game jesus christ

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa. I am not surprised a poster whose name and av match this game spent money on it but :wtc:

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

My health keeps me from drinking alcohol or going out a lot, so I can afford to spend a little on games. I'll admit to going overboard the first few months, though.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

PotU posted:

Quit spending so much money on a mobile game jesus christ

lol if you knew how much some of us spend on PAD.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

beaner69 posted:

lol if you knew how much some of us spend on PAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The amount of money I've spent on PAD is something I'd very much like to forget...

• Locked thread