Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
Just an update... i've had my t440s w/ touchscreen for 6ish months.. love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm guessing it's the 2011 i5 MacBook Pro, right? If it's the 13" the dedicated graphics leave a lot to be desired, but bumping it up to 8GB/SSD would be a big help.

If 4GB/128GB is enough you can score a 2013/2014 Air for $700-ish

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Bob Morales posted:

I'm guessing it's the 2011 i5 MacBook Pro, right? If it's the 13" the dedicated graphics leave a lot to be desired, but bumping it up to 8GB/SSD would be a big help.

If 4GB/128GB is enough you can score a 2013/2014 Air for $700-ish

It's the 17" and yes, it is from 2011. I believe it's this model. I just need to make sure that whatever it is can handle intensive graphics processing, as I know Second Life isn't written for poo poo and tends to hog a lot more resources than it really should, which may be that Mac clients for it are written even more poorly than Windows versions. Ideally I'd like to get her to start playing better games that aren't as demanding and aren't full of maladjusted shut-ins, so whatever it is needs the beef.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 2, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Even if you don't end up keeping it it'd be worth fixing the MBP - given Apple resale it'll still be worth a significant amount.

Anyway I'd tend to keep the MBP regardless - its going to cost significant money to even get something with a similar quality display and a similarly fast processor.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Been pricing up my laptop again at Xoticpc and apparently all the 880ms have gone, that's it, no more. So now the wait begins for the newer cards in November. I just hope they're not much more expensive! That would suck.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
My girlfriend wants to get a laptop, since she will start doing her PhD soon. I recommended a Lenovo, since this thread seems to be pretty positive about them.
What she wants to do is, in addition to the basic "office" stuff, is watching movies (HDMI out, to connect to TV) and playing games that would not be more demanding than Sims (she doesn't really play video games at all, but she likes the Sims).
We're aiming at €500 or less. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Non Serviam posted:

We're aiming at €500 or less. Any suggestions?
Well, for one, at that budget, don't get your hopes up that Lenovo is going to be any better than any other manufacturer apart from the keyboard maybe. Maybe.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Flipperwaldt posted:

Well, for one, at that budget, don't get your hopes up that Lenovo is going to be any better than any other manufacturer apart from the keyboard maybe. Maybe.

€500 is over 600 USD; I thought that was the starting point for a good machine though (as per OP).
In any case, we're willing to go a little bit above that budget (like for a Lenovo thinkpad); I just don't want her to get something that has way more than she needs and I thought €500 was a good starting point

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Non Serviam posted:

€500 is over 600 USD; I thought that was the starting point for a good machine though (as per OP).
In any case, we're willing to go a little bit above that budget (like for a Lenovo thinkpad); I just don't want her to get something that has way more than she needs and I thought €500 was a good starting point
Best deal in Euroland you're going to get is euros for dollars. Electronics are a fair bit cheaper in America, plus they have access to the Barnes and Noble thing.

As an example, last year this recommendation from the OP:

Hadlock posted:

With that explanation out of the way, the T430 is the default recommendation of this thread, you can get a basic i5 equipped T430 for about $660 USD shipped to your door on most days.
came out to this price in Belgium.

Prices in the Netherlands are a bit better, but even €600 isn't going to get you the metal frame, good hinges, dust ratings and whatever else that just doesn't apply to Lenovo's cheaper models anyway. Plus some Lenovo's have awful screens, even at the €1000 price point.

Not saying €600 won't get you a laptop that will do what you need, just don't fixate on Lenovo because this thread loves them so much. That is all I'm saying.

EDIT: Yeah, I just looked it up and the cheapest Thinkpad in the Netherlands that qualifies for all the praise in the OP is about €800-€850

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 3, 2014

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I picked up a Yoga 2 Pro last year based on the positive reviews in the thread. Mostly happy with it to date. There's one issue that I was hoping other owners could shed some light on. I recently started connecting the laptop to a TV using the microHDMI port. However, the port is really finicky. As you can see from the pictures, there is no signal unless I angle the connector upward to a ridiculous degree. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just something I have to deal with? I've tried using a different microHDMI to HDMI adapter and it's basically the same which makes me feel it's something with the port itself.

edit - before someone mentions, I've read threads (like this https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-micro-HDMi-issue-SOLVED/td-p/1297269) about people saying the HDMI port is too recessed. I cut some plastic away from an adapter to have it go deeper but it didn't solve anything.

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your port is hosed, get thee to a warantee replacement

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am in need of 2-3 cheap laptops that can work as sign-in/sign-out and event registration kiosks. I will probably be using Google Forms for the bulk of it (though if anyone knows a better tool for this please suggest) using different, better computers on the back end to process the data we get. I am not opposed to using chromebooks, but if there's something better for the same price or just as good for less, that's what I'm here for. A bonus would be the ability to take a signature, in case there's a touchscreen option worth a poo poo.

I only require that the thing can hook up to the internet, can take input from the customer, and that the screen is readable. But the highest weighted stat would be price.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chromebooks are going to win there easily then.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon sells $220 Chromebook chassis with Windows 8 preinstalled. From there you can go Linux or your preferred Windows Kiosk lockdown method(s). I would go with the Asus model in that case.

Or just go with a Chromebook as stated above. But I'm not sure what your options are going to be turning it into a dedicated kiosk.

Edit: Is there a reason you're not going with $130 tablets? Battery life is better + touchscreen + better price. People are ok these days with inputting data on to a touchscreen.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Hadlock posted:

Amazon sells $220 Chromebook chassis with Windows 8 preinstalled. From there you can go Linux or your preferred Windows Kiosk lockdown method(s). I would go with the Asus model in that case.

Or just go with a Chromebook as stated above. But I'm not sure what your options are going to be turning it into a dedicated kiosk.

Edit: Is there a reason you're not going with $130 tablets? Battery life is better + touchscreen + better price. People are ok these days with inputting data on to a touchscreen.

I'm definitely open to the option of tablets, it's just something we need to pass by others. We very well might end up going with tablets, considering we can get a cheap tablet and a kiosk stand for the cost of a chromebook alone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Chromebooks can run a single app in Kiosk mode, for which Google has an entire tutorial. I'm not sure how it works with Google Forms specifically, but you could create an app that links to the form by a URL if nothing else. At least, it might be worth exploring.

Also, if for some reason you couldn't use WiFi on the Chromebook, you can use a USB Ethernet dongle to provide connectivity.

As for Android tablets, I don't believe there's any built in support for a kiosk mode. Although there's apps on the store that claim to provide such a capability, I find that a bit dubious and would do some homework on that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also, if for some reason you couldn't use WiFi on the Chromebook, you can use a USB Ethernet dongle to provide connectivity.

The Acer C710 has an Ethernet port and should be easily found for $100 by now I'd think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like to work outside with my MBA when the weather's nice. I just noticed that the sun on the back of my monitor shines through the Apple logo and is visible in the middle of my screen. I don't really care about this while I'm working, but can it damage the screen at all?

The logo and back of the monitor aren't hot at all, just a bit warm from the sunlight.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

tuyop posted:

I like to work outside with my MBA when the weather's nice. I just noticed that the sun on the back of my monitor shines through the Apple logo and is visible in the middle of my screen. I don't really care about this while I'm working, but can it damage the screen at all?

The logo and back of the monitor aren't hot at all, just a bit warm from the sunlight.

That won't damage the screen. Unless you leave it lid shut outside for the year, you won't risk any sort of damage to the LCD.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

signalnoise posted:

I am in need of 2-3 cheap laptops that can work as sign-in/sign-out and event registration kiosks. I will probably be using Google Forms for the bulk of it (though if anyone knows a better tool for this please suggest) using different, better computers on the back end to process the data we get. I am not opposed to using chromebooks, but if there's something better for the same price or just as good for less, that's what I'm here for. A bonus would be the ability to take a signature, in case there's a touchscreen option worth a poo poo.

I think my company now uses a Chromebook for this. We didn't have any signature-taking requirements.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The UV won't penetrate the apple side

Electrical components (but not the screen, keyboard) are baked in an oven @ > 225F to get the solder points to melt and I'm sure the screen is rated for 140F during use and probably 160+ in storage. They have to be designed to sit in direct sunlight in someone's black BMW in Phoenix AZ in the summer with the windows rolled up for 8 hours.

There's a photo of a Powerbook G4 that surived being preheated in the oven somewhere on the internet, I can't find it right now though.

Direct sunlight probably causes some imperceptible cloudiness of the display given enough time (2 years?) in direct sunlight. I've never ever heard of anyone mentioning this though so unless you're performing long term desert research I wouldn't worry about it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I've seen laptop screens damaged by pressure on the back of the lid, by trackpoint mice, and by lasers. Baking a laptop is also a solution that people sometimes use when the laptop (or maybe hard drive) has stopped working.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Electrical components (but not the screen, keyboard) are baked in an oven @ > 225F to get the solder points to melt and I'm sure the screen is rated for 140F during use and probably 160+ in storage. They have to be designed to sit in direct sunlight in someone's black BMW in Phoenix AZ in the summer with the windows rolled up for 8 hours.

If a laptop expects to survive being abandoned in a car in Phoenix in the summer, 160F isn't going to come close to cutting it. I live here and have melted too many CDs and electronics. Don't leave any electronics you value in a car in the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpSABil6zg

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok cool, thanks guys.

This laptop is a bit weird. The screen isn't aligned with the bottom properly so there's a little lip on the left and a recession on the right when closed. I bought it in August and the screws on the bottom started loosening pretty quickly, so I brought it into the Apple store with some locktite figuring I could just use their pentalobe screwdriver. The dude brought the screwdriver out and it turns out the screws are all stripped except one.

This is pretty typical of my luck with products, so I'm not very concerned. They ordered some parts and it'll be taken in for repair next week. I think I made a mistake getting the base MBA model instead of the RAM and SSD upgrades, since I've had to janitor the storage a little bit. And Final Cut Pro editing can be a pain if I try to do demanding stuff like add Motion animations, but I don't think there's much I could do to fix that that doesn't involve a Mac Pro.

sarehu posted:

I've seen laptop screens damaged by pressure on the back of the lid, by trackpoint mice, and by lasers. Baking a laptop is also a solution that people sometimes use when the laptop (or maybe hard drive) has stopped working.

So, don't use the macbook to hold 25lb plates and don't hack one of those awful nibs into the keyboard? I can live with this.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

tuyop posted:

So, don't use the macbook to hold 25lb plates and don't hack one of those awful nibs into the keyboard? I can live with this.

No, don't put your Macbook in a bag with books in it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

sarehu posted:

No, don't put your Macbook in a bag with books in it.

Oh. What if it's in one of those padded postage envelopes?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't know, maybe that's fine, it's not like I'm repeating experiments with this.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm trying to find a replacement battery for my Thinkpad T530 in Belgium in relative short order and this seems to be one of the few sites that does overnight deliveries. Only problem is that the preview image of the battery is not the same as the one I'm holding right now. Mine has a red decal on the right instead of a blue one.

http://www.replacedirect.be/product/p0095266/lenovo-laptop-accu.html?subid=101031&prrel=10250677

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So I recently got a T420 and I love it, however, I constantly hit the DVD eject button when handling the laptop, and it always causes the drive to pop out.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what I can stick in that slot? Some other Ultrabay device maybe?

Oh, also, it came with a 9-cell, and since it's a couch surfing laptop, it's constantly plugged in. In order to save some weight, I'm thinking about going with a 6-cell battery. Any battery vendors on eBay that you'd recommend?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Are the Lenovo T series still the go to recommendation for non Mac, $1k-1.2k high build quality laptops, for light/moderate gaming, movie watching, note taking, and carrying around?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mic...1d-e76f1835f508

Is this a good deal? Haven't bought hardware for myself 8 a long time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ron Jeremy posted:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mic...1d-e76f1835f508

Is this a good deal? Haven't bought hardware for myself 8 a long time.

Those are the first-generation Surface Pros and kind of a mess IMO.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is there anything comparable to the Lenovo Y40 with 8G at the moment in the ~$750 range?

At the moment that looks to be my best bet. It would be used for maybe light gaming along with lots of audio work and gif threads but that gets covered mostly with >4G RAM, good CPU, and a decent speed HDD.

net work error fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2014

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
anything possible to do to rehabilitate an Acer Aspire 5742g with a memory leak? I'm not sure what's causing it but there is a BSOD that comes up if I don't run the computer in safe mode. The computer overheats. Is the thing pretty much trash at this point or what?

Pretty much using a Samsung Chromebook as the 'main pc' at this point.

E: ^^^^^ I would not get an Apple.. Apple is the enemy... I recommend a Dell Chromebook.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 8, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked this in the stupid/small questions, but you guys might no more.

My laptop is overheating, and I can't afford a new one, nor can I afford to replace the fan. Could someone recommend me a cooling pad that worked for them when their laptop gave out? Something battery powered preferably, or rechargeable into a wall. Right now I'm using a desk fan pointed at the intake / exhaust area

I'm willing to spend upwards of $75 on a good fan, the computer guy who assumed I didn't know anything about computers said it would be 300 to fix the HP fan. Other guys are giving me similar numbers or are telling me outright to buy a new laptop.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I asked this in the stupid/small questions, but you guys might no more.

My laptop is overheating, and I can't afford a new one, nor can I afford to replace the fan. Could someone recommend me a cooling pad that worked for them when their laptop gave out? Something battery powered preferably, or rechargeable into a wall. Right now I'm using a desk fan pointed at the intake / exhaust area

I'm willing to spend upwards of $75 on a good fan, the computer guy who assumed I didn't know anything about computers said it would be 300 to fix the HP fan. Other guys are giving me similar numbers or are telling me outright to buy a new laptop.

Can't tell if that repair price is exorbitant unless you provide the model.

I had been looking at replacing my old T40's fan, but once I cracked it open to make sure I was capable of swapping the part out, all it ended up needing was a thorough cleaning. Apparently a decade of use can accumulate some crap in the ventilation system.

The T40 fan would've cost $10 on ebay.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 6135dx model of the 6000 series pretty much makes it impossible to get to the fan if you don't know what you're doing, I'd have to completely disassemble it and I don't trust myself to do that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
My wife's terrible Acer Aspire One finally gave up the ghost. I'm now looking for a laptop that:
- has a 10-12" screen
- costs $600-800
- has an SSD
- won't be dog slow

She doesn't game, use CAD, edit 15 hours of video, etc., but I'd like Office and web browsing to be snappy. Any suggestions?

My personal reference points are a little skewed: I generally use either:
- a Clevo P150EM (3rd-Gen Ivy Bridge Core i7-3740QM, 24GB RAM)
or
- a Dell Latitude E7240 (Intel Core i7-4600U, 8GB RAM)

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
The Latitude is more of a business machine, if you're willing to go more consumer you can try the 13 7000. (1080p screen on the third option.)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-1...ch&isredir=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Turtlicious posted:

The 6135dx model of the 6000 series pretty much makes it impossible to get to the fan if you don't know what you're doing, I'd have to completely disassemble it and I don't trust myself to do that.

I also think you should blow the dust out of the vents with an air duster.