Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really can't stand this character :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jerusalem posted:

I really can't stand this character :sigh:

That was some pretty atrocious acting right there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Shoot the little girl first" hahaha

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did this start a bit early? I turned on the TV just as the clock hit half past and it was midway through the credits.

Edit: Why does Clara keep getting saddled with stupid, lovely children?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So it was done in a joking fashion, but they've introduced the idea now that the Doctor doesn't know if his new regeneration cycle is a "standard" one or if he really is functionally immortal now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Did this start a bit early? I turned on the TV just as the clock hit half past and it was midway through the credits.

Edit: Why does Clara keep getting saddled with stupid, lovely children?

The teaser and most of the credits are technically inside Strictly's timeslot, according to iPlayer, so yes, I'd say so.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

So it was done in a joking fashion, but they've introduced the idea now that the Doctor doesn't know if his new regeneration cycle is a "standard" one or if he really is functionally immortal now.

I think thats for the best; Leaving it open ended. If a future showrunner wants to have a "This is his last regeneration!" drama they can, without being forced into it by an offhand line 20 years previously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm really struggling with this one just because its so similar to that awful Apollo 18 movie.

SiKboy posted:

I think thats for the best; Leaving it open ended. If a future showrunner wants to have a "This is his last regeneration!" drama they can, without being forced into it by an offhand line 20 years previously.

Agreed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So, because I am a giant nerd, I ran the numbers and, unless I hosed this up, for the moon to have a surface gravity the same as Earth's, the Moon would have to increase its mass by a factor of almost exactly six.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we did the Masterathon, me and my WhoWatching group, which I'm not sure I brought up in THIS thread.

Now we are on the DALEKATHON because gently caress Yeah Daleks.

One thing that occurs to me that would really help modern Daleks out A LOT?

Make them actual characters again.

You look at the Daleks before Davros showed up, and they're actually a species of aliens that are to a one racist, xenophobic hate filled people, instead of what they were after Davros showed up- tools, weapons with no personality beyond some stand outs.

The Daleks before they just became Davros' weapons were clever, willing to make alliances in more personal terms (rather than the broad stuff we see in Time of the Doctor and the fifth season's finale) and ultimately deceitful and dangerous. They understood humanity to a point where they could subvert it and crush it-rather than being cartoon super villains they are now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Why do I expect the kid to do something Incredibly stupid, that endangers all of them?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Damnit Courtney you're on the goddamned moon with unicellular spiders on a TARDIS and you're bored?

I know Who-watching requires a lot of suspension of disbelief but come on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The moon is pregnant?

Sighence posted:

Damnit Courtney you're on the goddamned moon with unicellular spiders on a TARDIS and you're bored?

Getting some nasty Nightmare in Silver flashbacks :smith:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sighence posted:

I know Who-watching requires a lot of suspension of disbelief but come on.

Lets be fair; if the gravity on the moon is earth gravity then basically you are in a quarry. Which is fortunate for the producers in this instance.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If this ends with the Doctor telling Courtney that she's special then I might have to scream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, the DVDs from Blink

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I think I like this episode.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

When the Doctor does a holographic display of the thing, did it look like a dragon to anyone else?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

When the Doctor does a holographic display of the thing, did it look like a dragon to anyone else?

I was thinking Beholder. Mostly because it was rolled up in a ball, I guess :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record if there was no moon there would still be tides, just much smaller ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:ohdear:"The moon's an egg..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ughhh.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alright, they lost me with the egg laying

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

Alright, they lost me with the egg laying

Yeah that was kind of silly.

Edit: a pretty great episode with an absolutely awful ending.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2014

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

wow, lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boy, the Doctor is really getting it in the neck this series.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Welp, Capaldi and Coleman still sell it, at least. Which one of the usual suspects is responsible for this... scrambled mess of a plotline?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sighence posted:

Welp, Capaldi and Coleman still sell it, at least. Which one of the usual suspects is responsible for this... scrambled mess of a plotline?

Peter Harness. I don't think he's written for the show before.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that was kind of silly.

Edit: a pretty great episode with an absolutely awful ending.

Yup.

I guess the problem for me was that, ultimately, as this is 'kiddy' SciFi, we all knew what was going to happpen. This show would never have a dark ending where the dragon baby was destroyed. It was just a matter of how big a MacGuffin we would end up with.

In this case:

1. It's an eggshell which conveniently disintegrated causing no harm!
2. No moon means major destruction to the planet! Oh, it's okay, the dragon baby just gave us a new one, we're cool.

The Doctor / Clara development was really cool though and very well acted.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think they really landed on the moon. I think it was all staged! There were a lot of clues! Gravity doesn't work like that on the moon!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well unfortunately that episode just didn't resonate with me at all. I could see and appreciate the story they were trying to tell, and the moral conundrum etc but for whatever reason I just couldn't engage with it, it left me cold. It felt like a by-the-numbers collection of "things that happen in Doctor Who" put together without any of the spark that makes those types of stories interesting.

The best part was AFTER the story was done and Clara ripped the Doctor a new one. That was basically the only point where I felt like there was genuine emotion and distress, and it made for the most interesting part of the episode.

There was just something oddly clinical about this episode. I'm not familiar with the writer, Peter Harness, but looking him up he seems to have a pretty drat good pedigree as a writer so it's surprising, because this felt like somebody just coldly assembling familiar beats together into something resembling the basic formula for much better stories.

Edit: Case in point, the scene where the planet turns out all the lights to vote for the destruction of the moon. That scene should have been amazing and full of despair and or agonizing on the parts of the audience POV characters watching. Instead it was just.... there.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think they really landed on the moon. I think it was all staged! There were a lot of clues! Gravity doesn't work like that on the moon!

Any explanation will not go over easy.

(yes i will keep making egg puns because seriously loving moonegg that gets replaced within seconds.

kant
May 12, 2003

Mewcenary posted:

Yup.

I guess the problem for me was that, ultimately, as this is 'kiddy' SciFi, we all knew what was going to happpen. This show would never have a dark ending where the dragon baby was destroyed. It was just a matter of how big a MacGuffin we would end up with.

In this case:

1. It's an eggshell which conveniently disintegrated causing no harm!
2. No moon means major destruction to the planet! Oh, it's okay, the dragon baby just gave us a new one, we're cool.

The Doctor / Clara development was really cool though and very well acted.

I liked this episode completely because of the character development. The plot is obviously secondary which is a good thing since it's not all that great.

So, I'm counting it as a big improvement over past years where we'd often get stuck with a terrible plot and nothing else going on to save the episode besides some silly scenes worthy of making GIFs out of.

taerfu
Oct 7, 2013

Sighence posted:

(yes i will keep making egg puns because seriously loving moonegg that gets replaced within seconds.

A moonegg that was about the same size as what laid it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sighence posted:

A better explanation would've been mankind constructing an artificial moon, which is why the space program is reenergised. Same message, but less absurd.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. This was a first bad episode for me this season. :sigh:
Only positive thing in this episode was Clara _finally_ snapping and chewing up the Doctor!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Case in point, the scene where the planet turns out all the lights to vote for the destruction of the moon. That scene should have been amazing and full of despair and or agonizing on the parts of the audience POV characters watching. Instead it was just.... there.

I hardly think it's fair to pin that on Harness, that was 100% the director's fault.

Actually, after some reflection I think I'm going to lay all the blame for this at his (Paul Wilmshurst) door. Him and Courtney's actress (a good child actor is a rare and wonderful thing, sadly). There's a version of this episode out there where the first forty minutes of so are a capable but not spectacular romp with a nice quirky sci-fi premise and some good solid pathos, before the last five minutes suddenly flip everything upside down and you see the cleverly hidden thematic through-line that brings everything together. That potential, which I think is definitely there in the script, was hamstrung by acting that couldn't sell the emotional beats and directing that couldn't land that final reversal.

I think I'd still give it a B-grade, though, it's not Deep Breath.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I hardly think it's fair to pin that on Harness, that was 100% the director's fault.

Yeah maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on the writer when I should be looking at how it was directed/edited instead. This story had a lot of potential, but I was disappointed by the end result. I don't even think it was a bad episode though I do think it is the "worst" of the season so far. It was just that it failed to connect with me at all, and that the theme of the episode just kind of fell flat.

The Doctor/Clara stuff at the end was REALLY good though.

Edit: "Oh look it laid another moon" towards the end was just awful though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I would've loved it to take a few minutes. Just a few minutes of the lights gradually fading as people turn off their individual ones.

And I think Courtney's actress was okay. She's better than a lot of child actors though sadly I also don't see her character being TOO necessary to the dilemma. She could've been replaced by a second astronaut from the Earth crew who was more sympathetic to the baby without losing much.

But yeah there was enough here to make a very solid episode with some better direction and editing (I mean, hell the first 2/3rds of it were REALLY good at tension and drama despite Courtney.) These types of episodes are the ones that annoy me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it was very unfair that only those who happened to be on the night-side of the earth during that 1.5 hours got a light-vote whether to kill the moon or not.

...And then those in power didn't listen to the decision of the people anyway, that's politics for you.

• Locked thread