Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

No? It takes less than a second to lift up the cover and press the button.

In europe I don't think that's permitted - partial shrouding seems to be OK but I don't have EN 13849-1:2008 lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not having a cover just leaves it open to randomly be pressed by someone leaning on the wall or throwing something. If anything bad were to happen in the time you take to lift the cover, it would have happened in the time it takes you to run to the button.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
What in the world do you have e stops in a data center for? What occurs in a data center that is hazardous to human life? And if that situation occurs, are your e stops anywhere near the person who would be in such a situation? What is the point?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phobeste posted:

What in the world do you have e stops in a data center for? What occurs in a data center that is hazardous to human life? And if that situation occurs, are your e stops anywhere near the person who would be in such a situation? What is the point?

Pop quiz, hot shot - what happens if someone's finger gets stuck in a cooling fan?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phobeste posted:

I can't find a youtube of it but that scene in Goldeneye where they were being traced so they started ripping boards out of the mainframes to stop it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Phobeste posted:

A shitton of electrical stuff you want to remove power from in the case of shock / fire / overtemp.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phobeste posted:

Fire + fire suppression sprinklers(this is the legal minimum for such places, apparently) in a place with giant gently caress off power transformers sounds like a good reason for an estop.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

Fire + fire suppression sprinklers(this is the legal minimum for such places, apparently) in a place with giant gently caress off power transformers sounds like a good reason for an estop.

A datacentre with water based fire suppression... gross.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BurgerQuest posted:

Not mine. I had to peak out into the production floor to verify this tho, since that is apparently the legal minimum, and I can very easily see the argument made that in a situation where the fire suppression system is triggered everything is hosed anyway so may as well go with the cheapest solution.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RFC2324 posted:

Not mine. I had to peak out into the production floor to verify this tho, since that is apparently the legal minimum, and I can very easily see the argument made that in a situation where the fire suppression system is triggered everything is hosed anyway so may as well go with the cheapest solution.

Yeah, fire suppression is about making things that are on fire not on fire. Everything else is secondary.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Note to self: When making a simple "install" script using RoboCopy do not use /MIR.

At least I stopped it before it wiped out too much of my Program Files folder. :cripes:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crowley posted:

Note to self: When making a simple "install" script using RoboCopy do not use /MIR.

At least I stopped it before it wiped out too much of my Program Files folder. :cripes:

Related: when using dd, do not get /dev/sdb confused with /dev/sda.

I did not manage to save my hard drive from becoming an install CD.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The provisioning guy at my old place was burning an auto-installing Red Hat DVD once and accidentally left it in his Windows workstation drive. On patch night. :saddowns:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You never leave discs in your drive on patch night.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I do. Currently it's Pumping Iron on DVD. I don't know how long it's been in there or why I still own any movie DVD's.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

The provisioning guy at my old place was burning an auto-installing Red Hat DVD once and accidentally left it in his Windows workstation drive. On patch night. :saddowns:

Tell him not to use "clearpart --all". You can tell kickstart to only install on clean drives (or only wipe Linux)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

mewse posted:

Pop quiz, hot shot - what happens if someone's finger gets stuck in a cooling fan?

Your fingat is a worthy sacrifice to keep the data center running. Also stop sticking your fingers into fans.

If this was a reference to something I apologize.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe I like putting my fingers in cooling fans :saddowns:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Crowley posted:

Every line in my backup script uses /mir, harumph.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

For the past 3 months I have been getting the silent treatment off of a Business Analyst. Now since she has not said a word to me in 3 months but has complained to my Boss that I am unapproachable and "not a team player". Because ignoring the person who sits next to you for months on end because they proved you wrong pretty much every time you tried to pin issues on one area of a system that was completely unrelated is 100% being an open and welcoming person and working with the whole team, not just the ones that don't have to point out how wrong you are all the time.

I do wonder when a medium sized software company reverted into Secondary School with the bitching, back stabbing and immature bullshit. Am I supposed to agree with people when I know they are wrong for the sake of their fragile ego?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I have been cc:ed on an issue that's been circling around a group of 10 or so recipients for 3 days. Nobody knows how to solve the issue but several suggestions have been thrown around. Just for shits and giggles I type the exact error message into google, click the first link, copy+paste the microsoft rep's solution into a reply all. Of course it worked.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Every line in my backup script uses /mir, harumph.

/iss is better in every way.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

BurgerQuest posted:

The votech school I went to had a DC with water based fire suppression. The justification was that the cost of getting the permits to use an alternative would have been so much more expensive, especially considering there are students around. If a student were to for some reason be in the DC when the system went off, it could be really bad for the school. The IT director just opted to keep some tarps folded on a shelf to do what they can to save the equipment if they can before evacuating the building.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ConfusedUs posted:

Holmes I don't even know what /iss is, but /mir is my hero.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ConfusedUs posted:

:golfclap:

I get your joke!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Spazz posted:

The votech school I went to had a DC with water based fire suppression. The justification was that the cost of getting the permits to use an alternative would have been so much more expensive, especially considering there are students around. If a student were to for some reason be in the DC when the system went off, it could be really bad for the school. The IT director just opted to keep some tarps folded on a shelf to do what they can to save the equipment if they can before evacuating the building.

Yes, I'm sure telling employees to risk their lives to save replaceable equipment would never result in a costly lawsuit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Holmes I don't even know what /iss is, but /mir is my hero.

That's okay, it went way over your head. :)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Yes, I'm sure telling employees to risk their lives to save replaceable equipment would never result in a costly lawsuit.

I used to have an office that was in a data center in the basement of a building. The building had regular fire suppression, but the data center had halon. My cube was in the data center itself. The first thing they told me when I move there was if the fire alarm went off, I had 30 seconds to get out of the area before the halon replaced all the oxygen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You should check if your gas spreading thingies have dampeners so that your hard disks aren't gonna get busted. That happened in our data centre this year (just for the SAN, oddly)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ConfusedUs posted:

That's okay, it went way over your head. :)
Stupid space jokes in a stupid IT thread I can't believe you

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I used to have an office that was in a data center in the basement of a building. The building had regular fire suppression, but the data center had halon. My cube was in the data center itself. The first thing they told me when I move there was if the fire alarm went off, I had 30 seconds to get out of the area before the halon replaced all the oxygen.

:stare:

poo poo pissing me off: Daily backups that are 3 weeks old, and a server hardware crash that was fixed by a 3 day long restore on 4 year old replacement hardware. Previously the harddrives in use had been going for 6 years, and they never thought to replace them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Are Halon systems still legal in the US? You haven't been able to install new Halon systems since 1994 in Europe, and the grandfather clause for existing systems expired in 2004.

Nowadays it's mostly nitrogen+argon based systems like Inergen and Argonite, or stuff like Novec.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They're still legal but halon cannot be imported or produced anymore (since '94 as well). All 'new' halon comes from recycled halon from decommissioned fire suppression systems and the like.

Also, a lot of people don't know the difference between halon/inergen/whatever systems but know the term halon so they go with that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mewse posted:

Answer: They lose the finger, because if they're stuck in a fan, they can't reach the e-stop.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Answer: They lose the finger, because if they're stuck in a fan, they can't reach the e-stop.

I was thinking they could just pull their finger out but I guess if they're going to die with their finger trapped in an 80mm fan, that works too

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mewse posted:

I was thinking they could just pull their finger out but I guess if they're going to die with their finger trapped in an 80mm fan, that works too

Well, I guess that just shows how unimportant the clear cover on the switch is, then. :colbert:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

BigPaddy posted:

For the past 3 months I have been getting the silent treatment off of a Business Analyst. Now since she has not said a word to me in 3 months but has complained to my Boss that I am unapproachable and "not a team player". Because ignoring the person who sits next to you for months on end because they proved you wrong pretty much every time you tried to pin issues on one area of a system that was completely unrelated is 100% being an open and welcoming person and working with the whole team, not just the ones that don't have to point out how wrong you are all the time.

I do wonder when a medium sized software company reverted into Secondary School with the bitching, back stabbing and immature bullshit. Am I supposed to agree with people when I know they are wrong for the sake of their fragile ego?

Every time you're tempted to hit reply and type out "you're horribly wrong, you never listen, you imbecile", take a very deep breath. Pull up kitten photos or do some angry push-ups or whatever you need to calm down. Then manage to reply with a diplomatic response. These work best when you make it sound like the other person is being reasonable, or even better, if they can think the correct method came about because of them. Let your coworkers save face. Preferably subconsciously. If they think you're trying to help them and make their work easier, they will go out of their way to help when you need it.

If you can do it with a straight face, I highly suggest going up to your BA and saying "hey, I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. I heard you're the subject matter expert on MagicWonderfulProgram and I'd like your feedback on some changes before I bring it to the team".

Feed your elephants.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

One of our locations has a printer with a fuser error. It is out of warranty. We need to obtain approval to spend money like that ( to bill $500). So I sent the email asking for approval. The reply came back: "I am surprised I am being asked, as they can not function without one." and then it was approved under that.

What a lovely way to respond to a question.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

myron cope posted:

One of our locations has a printer with a fuser error. It is out of warranty. We need to obtain approval to spend money like that ( to bill $500). So I sent the email asking for approval. The reply came back: "I am surprised I am being asked, as they can not function without one." and then it was approved under that.

What a lovely way to respond to a question.

Perhaps he's actually surprised that he's being asked when it's something that could be charged to a card.

We have a card that if it's under a grand, you don't need approval. However, we do monthly audits - so you better have a business reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Perhaps he's actually surprised that he's being asked when it's something that could be charged to a card.

We have a card that if it's under a grand, you don't need approval. However, we do monthly audits - so you better have a business reason.

No it's been our procedure forever. It's a store location, the district manager needs to approve all of this stuff. If we just billed without getting approval they'd freak.