Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Leif. posted:

God the Rafale is just so cool though.

This is pretty much my view too. It is so much better looking than a typhoon which is a very similar aircraft from the rough design. The intakes alone are so cool.

Really any of those fighters would fill the needs of the CF, even the F-35. I don't think it is great value for the money compared with other choices, the Rafale or Super Hornet being the best options imho. I'd want the F-22 the most but that's not happening :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The radar on the F-35 is way better than anything the eurocanards have.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

TheFluff posted:

Yeah the Gripen NG won't happen, I'm just sayin'. And no, it doesn't have an arrestor hook (although it does have at least some STOL capacity because of the Cold War-era design requirements that demanded operation from 800 meter runways), but just you wait, the Brazilians will surely fund a Sea Gripen to put on their ex-French aircraft carrier that's smaller than a WW2 Essex class... :v:

The Gripen NG is officially a thing now; Sweden, Switzerland and Brazil have all signed on to buy Gripen Es and Fs.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MrChips posted:

The Gripen NG is officially a thing now; Sweden, Switzerland and Brazil have all signed on to buy Gripen Es and Fs.

I mean it won't happen for Canada. Sweden and Brazil are still committed but Switzerland voted no in a public referendum.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

priznat posted:

This is pretty much my view too. It is so much better looking than a typhoon which is a very similar aircraft from the rough design. The intakes alone are so cool.

Really any of those fighters would fill the needs of the CF, even the F-35. I don't think it is great value for the money compared with other choices, the Rafale or Super Hornet being the best options imho. I'd want the F-22 the most but that's not happening :(

I mean just look at this awesome motherfucker.

Amazingly, the article the pic is from is entitled "The French Way of SEAD?"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The rafale owns if only for the way it was pronounced in Jane's ATF:Gold.

SPLASHED ONE.... raff AAAAAAILE

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wait, it's supposed to rhyme with "hail"? I thought it was pronounced "Rah-fah-leh". Oh god, is "Gripen" supposed to sound like "griping" or "gripping"?! I know it means " griffin" but should it sound like the English pronunciation?!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 3, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I dunno man, that's just the way that a voice actor for a 90s video game pronounced it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Should be more "rah-fal" but the r has that sort of horky noise the French do. Kind of gutteral.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, it's supposed to rhyme with "hail"? I thought it was pronounced "Rah-fah-leh". Oh god, is "Gripen" supposed to sound like "griping" or "gripping"?! I know it means " griffin" but should it sound like the English pronunciation?!

Unfortunately, PronunciationManual didn't have anything, so try this link.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Davin Valkri posted:

In French it's pronounced rah-fah-l. IPA: /ʁafal/.

The word has a nice dual meaning, as it designates both a violent gust of wind and something that happens in a rapid, continuous succession, like sustained machine gun fire.

For Gripen, it's kind of like gree-pun. Wikimedia has a recording of it.

Also because I love that site: http://demo.acapela-group.com/

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 4, 2014

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, it's supposed to rhyme with "hail"? I thought it was pronounced

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

Should be more "rah-fal" but the r has that sort of horky noise the French do. Kind of gutteral.
Most Anglo Saxons can't comprehend that sound.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The closest English word is probably raffle.

Pronounced completely differently of course - what is it with English people and R's?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Leif. posted:

I mean just look at this awesome motherfucker.

Amazingly, the article the pic is from is entitled "The French Way of SEAD?"

There is something about this picture that makes them look like they are from the latest 'Planes' movie, especially the one in the back.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bacarruda posted:

Everything is air-droppable at least once.

Really disappointed no one posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1izGSMKqskY

And that kids, is why we stopped doing LAPES

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's fair to say that within the UK, everyone is pretty chuffed with the weapon Brimstone has ended up being. Is it getting much recognition elsewhere?

There's been talk about integrating it on the USAF's RPA fleet, but other than one brief round of test firings (paid for by the UK govt) with a Reaper at China Lake, so far it's just been talk.

So this is something that I feel like some in this thread will appreciate...

From a fairly high ranking individual at a SPO which will remain unnamed, on a telecon discussing a contractor's delivery of a product that fails to meet the threshold value of several different KPPs: "Well it's on a cost-plus contract, the contractor isn't required to actually deliver a product that meets any of the requirements, they're just required to make a good effort, that's all that is contractually required."

:psyduck:

Someone needs to go back and take ACQ 101 again...and just a reminder, that wasn't the contractor trying to justify themselves, that was out of the mouth of someone who is notionally supposed to be representing the government in managing the program.

An important note, this wasn't a discussion about funding, in which case I could've almost seen the SPOviet's point (if the contract was cost-plus and the govt was balking at additional payment to the contractor for delivery of a functional product, then I could sort of see his argument even if he would still have been wrong on the specifics). No, this was simply a discussion about how the product needed to get sent back for further development, setting aside how much that would cost, because the idea of accepting a system into operational test when it doesn't meet the threshold value of several fundamental KPPs is loving insane and breaks pretty much every acquisition rule there is. "Cost+ contract" is now the running joke around the office..."sorry I didn't get you that report you asked for, but I was on a cost+ contract so I made my best effort, which was this blank piece of paper."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 4, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

iyaayas01 posted:

There's been talk about integrating it on the USAF's RPA fleet, but other than one brief round of test firings (paid for by the UK govt) with a Reaper at China Lake, so far it's just been talk.

So this is something that I feel like some in this thread will appreciate...

From a fairly high ranking individual at a SPO which will remain unnamed, on a telecon discussing a contractor's delivery of a product that fails to meet the threshold value of several different KPPs: "Well it's on a cost-plus contract, the contractor isn't required to actually deliver a product that meets any of the requirements, they're just required to make a good effort, that's all that is contractually required."

:psyduck:

Someone needs to go back and take ACQ 101 again...and just a reminder, that wasn't the contractor trying to justify themselves, that was out of the mouth of someone who is notionally supposed to be representing the government in managing the program.

An important note, this wasn't a discussion about funding, in which case I could've almost seen the SPOviet's point (if the contract was cost-plus and the govt was balking at additional payment to the contractor for delivery of a functional product, then I could sort of see his argument even if he would still have been wrong on the specifics). No, this was simply a discussion about how the product needed to get sent back for further development, setting aside how much that would cost, because the idea of accepting a system into operational test when it doesn't meet the threshold value of several fundamental KPPs is loving insane and breaks pretty much every acquisition rule there is. "Cost+ contract" is now the running joke around the office..."sorry I didn't get you that report you asked for, but I was on a cost+ contract so I made my best effort, which was this blank piece of paper."

That needs about a thousand psyducks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love the LAPES truck that just keeps on goin.. "gently caress ya'll I'm OUT!"

Straight out of "The Living Daylights". That C130 owned.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

I thought it was less about the quality of delivery and more of the fact that the planes are playing "I'm not touching you" with planet earth in the space of a couple football fields.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

I love the LAPES truck that just keeps on goin.. "gently caress ya'll I'm OUT!"

Yeah, maybe it's the early hour, but I laughed at that until I cried a bit. Holy poo poo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DakianDelomast posted:

I thought it was less about the quality of delivery and more of the fact that the planes are playing "I'm not touching you" with planet earth in the space of a couple football fields.

I'm pretty sure the training accident that killed half a C-130 crew contributed to the decision, yes.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

TheFluff posted:

I mean it won't happen for Canada. Sweden and Brazil are still committed but Switzerland voted no in a public referendum.

Oh yeah, Gripen will never sell to Canada. Even though I think the Rafale is still the best overall choice for us, you'd have to be soft in the head to think we will buy anything other than the F-35 or the Super Bug. Here's hoping it's the Super Bug, considering how decrepit our Hornets are now - not surprising considering they are among the first to roll off the production line in the early 80s.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure the training accident that killed half a C-130 crew contributed to the decision, yes.

We also lost a Hercules in a LAPES drop exercise in the early 1990s. As much as it has its advantages, it would seem to me that they are far outweighed by the danger associated.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, maybe it's the early hour, but I laughed at that until I cried a bit. Holy poo poo.

That, and the one where the parachute completely fails to open at all and it just goes SPLAT.

Since we were talking about dropping armored vehicles earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwJnVad5L4

That's a whole lot of goddamn parachutes. A drogue, then three chutes to pull it out of the plane, then six chutes to slow the landing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Russian VDV air drops their BMD's with the crew inside :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwizQfIiBuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkWlijrbTU

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 4, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

And poop escaped! Lots of it!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

TheFluff posted:

I voted no, yeah. I prefer to let the rest of Europe and USA pay for planes and tanks for wars that will never happen, while I enjoy low taxes and excellent public services.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Say hello to the Russians for me.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

I voted no, yeah. I prefer to let the rest of Europe and USA pay for planes shells and tanks bayonets for wars that will never happen, while I enjoy low taxes and excellent public services.

Fixed for Cippalippus circa TYOOL 1913.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Say hello to the Russians for me.

I prefer Russia to America, and besides that, your taxes, and military spending and Obama huffing and puffing... And yet, Crimea is Russian, and loving rightly so. But this isn't the thread for it, and this isn't about the quality of the plane either, but Switzerland and most countries of Europe don't need to spend a single franc/euro/dollar on defense since there is nothing to worry about.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cippalippus posted:

I prefer Russia to America, and besides that, your taxes, and military spending and Obama huffing and puffing... And yet, Crimea is Russian, and loving rightly so. But this isn't the thread for it, and this isn't about the quality of the plane either, but Switzerland and most countries of Europe don't need to spend a single franc/euro/dollar on defense since there is nothing to worry about.

This is my favorite post this week

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, it's a pretty good post. Head towards Wikipedia if you want to see how many wars Switzerland has fought in the last few centuries to see what I mean. After that, do the same for the USA, adding to the count the number of deaths, the long term results, the money wasted and come here telling me it was worth it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Sudetenland was German.

I'd post about how nice the Russian military is but I'm busy with my vacation in Grozny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good post. Head towards Wikipedia if you want to see how many wars Switzerland has fought in the last few centuries to see what I mean. After that, do the same for the USA, adding to the count the number of deaths, the long term results, the money wasted and come here telling me it was worth it.

Nobody wants to be Swiss. Meanwhile Malboro, Levis, Apple and Hollywood rule the land. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!

gently caress this poo poo lets go bomb something.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
lol if any of you clancy readers think the russians will ever directly threaten comfortable Western lifestyles of western Europe. We can float on a cloud of yankee military expenditure forever

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cippalippus posted:

I tried but I got a huge erection reading about all American war victories on Wikipedia and then decided you're a big weiner

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Putin is just like Hitler. He did nothing wrong.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Mortabis posted:

The Sudetenland was German.

I'd post about how nice the Russian military is but I'm busy with my vacation in Grozny.

A nazi reference so quick, I'm impressed. Well, if you don't like it, why don't you go and do something about it? Surely having taxes so high and such a terrible health care system to spend money on planes and bombs must be worth something... Or not?

I don't mind a Russian Crimea. And say what you will about the Russians, but after the attacks by the chechens in the Russian territory, they surely made it clear that Russians aren't people to be hosed with. What's happening in Iraq now?

bewbies posted:

I tried but I got a huge erection reading about all American war victories on Wikipedia and then decided you're a big weiner

You are even sillier than the fascists who were proud of the roman empire. The last American military victory of any consequence happened in 1945.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2014

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
In posting as in war, Americans are easily trolled.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cippalippus posted:

A nazi reference so quick, I'm impressed.

Yes, Godwin and all that, but this is a completely appropriate use. The justification behind annexing Crimea is 100% identical to the justification for annexing the Sudetenland and equally valid (not at all).

quote:

I don't mind a Russian Crimea.

Probably because you don't live there.

quote:

And say what you will about the Russians, but after the attacks by the chechens in the Russian territory, they surely made it clear that Russians aren't people to be hosed with. What's happening in Iraq now?

So, what you're saying is, we should be more brutal and indiscriminate in Iraq, and kill more civilians? Noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hepatizon posted:

In posting as in war, Americans are easily trolled.

He's not trolling, though. He really believes in Glorious Mother Russia and all that horseshit.