Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maarek posted:

I think something that people tend to overlook is that Stalin was counting on the invasion of France being a bloody affair that weakened Germany. When they rolled over France without too many casualties that threw a wrench into the USSR's entire political strategy.

Which is interesting because Stalin was part of the people taking over a weakened Russia after a bloody front in France failed to be able to sap German strength less than 30 years prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Adar posted:

"Hmm, Germany rolled over France without too many casualties. This series of urgent warnings about the hundreds of thousands of troops rolling east means nothing" -Glorious Leader, May 1941

The point being that it wasn't that Stalin thought Hitler was a great guy who would never betray him, it's that he really didn't want to fight Germany and went to excessive lengths to make sure not to 'provoke' them. What he didn't (or didn't want to) realize was that Hitler had already made up his mind to invade the USSR.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

computer parts posted:

Go read Ghost of the Executed Engineer if you want an idea of how Stalin did industrialization (tl;dr- throw lots of manpower at it and execute anyone that says it's a dumb project).

Seconded. It's a great book, and no more depressing than anything else dealing with Russian history.

Maarek posted:

The point being that it wasn't that Stalin thought Hitler was a great guy who would never betray him, it's that he really didn't want to fight Germany and went to excessive lengths to make sure not to 'provoke' them. What he didn't (or didn't want to) realize was that Hitler had already made up his mind to invade the USSR.

I'd go as far as to say that he was convinced that war was inevitable, but badly underestimated the German timetable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

From what I recall, Stalin was planning on betraying Hitler, but didn't really expect that Hitler was going to betray him so soon.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Seconded. It's a great book, and no more depressing than anything else dealing with Russian history.

I'd go as far as to say that he was convinced that war was inevitable, but badly underestimated the German timetable.

To be fair, the German timetable was itself rapidly accelerated. Hitler's diplomatic offensive was never meant to produce a war, and in fact war would have been utterly catastrophic at several points. The german high command was planning for war to commence in 1945, when they would be fully rearmed. The audacity of the German advance probably held a lot of the seeds of their success, but also meant that when it turned into a long war, they were hosed. Of course, by 1945 everyone else would be that much more entrenched, so we probably saw the best case scenario for nazi germany IRL.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Berke Negri posted:

From what I recall, Stalin was planning on betraying Hitler, but didn't really expect that Hitler was going to betray him so soon.

More or less.

I mean seriously, Stalin had read Mein Kampf and kept an copy of it handy which he'd annotated in his own hand (what I wouldn't give for access to that). He understood Nazi racial thought and that their expansionist eyes were always pointed east, as well as that Poland was prelude, not main act.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? Even for weekend-posting this is derailing and off-point, as much as I love talking about WWII and all. I'll stop, and we should probably try to get back on course with 2016 primary stuff.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 4, 2014

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Berke Negri posted:

I don't think anyone was ready for how fast the Nazis took over western europe. In hindsight Barbarossa being an awful idea seems obvious, but after 1939 and 1940 there were quite a few people in the west who thought that Germany would win in Russia, too.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Actually, you know what? Even for weekend-posting this is derailing and off-point, as much as I love talking about WWII and all. I'll stop, and we should probably try to get back on course with 2016 primary stuff.

I totally forgot what thread I was in. Oops!

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Berke Negri posted:

In 1941, the Soviets were in the middle of a massive modernization program in all branches of their military. The SVT-38 and 40 semi-automatic rifles were to be the new standard issue gun to replace the Mosin-Nagant. New ship hulls were being constructed in Leningrad and Sevastopol to replace the obsolete pre-Dreadnaught ships in the Red Navy. New Yaks, MiGs and LaGGs were being built to replace the Red Air Force's I-15s and -16s. The aging tank fleet of BT-5s and -7s, T-28s and other assorted 20s and 30s designs were being replaced with the T-34, which itself was scheduled to be gradually replaced with the T-34M. The KV-1, the Soviet 45 ton monster immune to most of the world's anti tank guns at the time, was to be gradually replaced with the KV-3,a tank with even more armor and a 107mm cannon while the rest of the world was still unsuccessful at mounting 75mm guns on things.

It wasn't that Stalin didn't want to believe that Hitler was invading, it was that Hitler was invading at the worst possible time. In 1941, the Soviets were in the middle of decommissioning their old stuff but hadn't got the new equipment to the troops yet. That's why it was a real shitshow in the early phases of the Eastern Front.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Maarek posted:

I don't think anyone was ready for how fast the Nazis took over western europe. In hindsight Barbarossa being an awful idea seems obvious, but after 1939 and 1940 there were quite a few people in the west who thought that Germany would win in Russia, too.

Arguably they still could've won if Hitler hadn't been a colossal dumbass who diverted troops away from Moscow just before the winter to go grab some oil fields.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Thank you. For all the circlejerking about how much R primary voters would hate him, the quips on the last few pages have been really gross.

Imagine how stupid and lovely all of the non-gay lazy quips that are thrown out at other Republican candidates come off to normal people!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

"I'm not making fun of him because he's gay, I'm making fun of him because he's effeminate" is a really terrible argument to make and if any Republicans make fun of Graham's supposed gayness, it isn't remotely nearly as prevalent as how often liberals do it.

It's more along the lines of reminding everyone how obviously femme/closeted the guy is to highlight his consistency in supporting horrific discrimination. It's a ripe target even when he's not in the news for being lovely about LGBT issues with his party.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Goons not being able to laugh at themselves. News at 11.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DeusExMachinima posted:

Arguably they still could've won if Hitler hadn't been a colossal dumbass who diverted troops away from Moscow just before the winter to go grab some oil fields.

What have you done...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Na man, he's right. It's like in a computer game, when you grab the enemies capital you win. Which is why Russia is a client state of France after Napoleon's famous capture of Moscow and the subsequent glorious parade back home.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Na man, he's right. It's like in a computer game, when you grab the enemies capital you win. Which is why Russia is a client state of France after Napoleon's famous capture of Moscow and the subsequent glorious parade back home.

The capital was St. Petersburg; Soviets moved it to Moscow

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Malleum posted:

It wasn't that Stalin didn't want to believe that Hitler was invading, it was that Hitler was invading at the worst possible time. In 1941, the Soviets were in the middle of decommissioning their old stuff but hadn't got the new equipment to the troops yet. That's why it was a real shitshow in the early phases of the Eastern Front.

Don't forget as well, the Soviets started the war with more planes and tanks than the rest of the world combined and promptly lost them in the first year. Nearly 21,000 tanks were destroyed in 1941 alone.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I don't know how you got on #WWIIChat, but I found this today:

THE NUMBER
ANOTHER SUMMER
GET DOWN
SOUND OF THE FUNKY BASSIST

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You know that book's from like 2008 right?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

comes along bort posted:

You know that book's from like 2008 right?

Still never fails to get me. Was in a used book bin.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Serious question: Assume Rauner/whoever candidacy faces against Hillary/Emanuel. What are your election predictions?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Did Spike Lee get pissed at him over that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

Serious question: Assume Rauner/whoever candidacy faces against Hillary/Emanuel. What are your election predictions?

Getting a little ahead of yourself there buddy, I don't think she's going to pluck you from Chicago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What would adding Emanuel to your ticket provide? The stink of unpopularity?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shageletic posted:

Arguably one of the worst modern choices, right after Lieberman and Palin.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

270 to win, and if Illinois is a toss-up or Lean R, and someone in Chicago offers to make it a 100% D for the veep slot, what do you do?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Emanuel makes IL harder for Hillary, not easier, what the hell are you talking about?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

270 to win, and if Illinois is a toss-up or Lean R, and someone in Chicago offers to make it a 100% D for the veep slot, what do you do?

Take one of a dozen other choices who won't drag your ticket down so far as to negate the boost they give you for IL?

I mean, if he could singlehandedly deliver Texas, that'd be one thing. But really?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Speaking of things that never happen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tap a short-tempered human caricature with a closet full of scandals for VP?

As a bonus he could deny the divinity of Christ, that'll pick up some swing votes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Emmanuel probably costs at least a point, maybe two, nationwide. To come up with a worse candidate you'd need to actively look for one.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Pack it in for four years because if Dems aren't winning Illinois they're not getting more than 100 electoral votes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

To come up with a worse candidate you'd need to actively look for one.

No worries, we've got just the man on that job

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MIGF, no matter how much you want to be the veep, I don't think Hillary is going to pick you. Maybe try in 8 years.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GreyPowerVan posted:

MIGF, no matter how much you want to be the veep, I don't think Hillary is going to pick you. Maybe try in 8 years.
Yeah, sitting VP Castro needs a whip of a VP candidate as he goes for the Presidency.

I don't know or care which Castro brother is Hillary's VP.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, sitting VP Castro needs a whip of a VP candidate as he goes for the Presidency.

I don't know or care which Castro brother is Hillary's VP.

I really don't get what having Castro on your ticket adds. Hispanics aren't a solid ethnic bloc.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

I really don't get what having Castro on your ticket adds. Hispanics aren't a solid ethnic bloc.

You also think Rahm Emanuel is anything other than a negative in the minds of a majority of people in Chicago. I am completely baffled at you A. considering IL anything but solid dem in 2016 and B. thinking Rahm Emanuel is the solution to the non-existant problem.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Forums' own beltway insider thinks Illinois is in play.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

You also think Rahm Emanuel is anything other than a negative in the minds of a majority of people in Chicago. I am completely baffled at you A. considering IL anything but solid dem in 2016 and B. thinking Rahm Emanuel is the solution to the non-existant problem.

Trust me, I am drat well aware. Name an alternative that doesn't result in Council Wars 2: Now With Riots. A transfer of power from promotion, we can deal with. A transfer of power because of the people? Do you want everyone's pension to disappear?

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Forums own sees the adbuy size and groundgame hired. You don't put that much in from someone with a purely capitalist mindset and not anticipate some great RoI.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Obama's upcoming executive order to use Chicago as a dumping ground for infected Ebola patients won't be popular there, but it does allow the Dems to sweep the midterm elections in the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Forums own sees the adbuy size and groundgame hired. You don't put that much in from someone with a purely capitalist mindset and not anticipate some great RoI.

Yes, Republican candidates never spend a ton of money without getting a return.

• Locked thread