Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I got to try a demo of Hyrule Warriors at Gamestop, and it makes me wonder, where's the eShop demo? They had demos of Smash, Mario Kart, and Dankey Kang, too. Meanwhile, the Wii U has been out for around 2 years and there's 14 demos on the eShop, where only one or two are first party titles. Come on Ninty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

I got to try a demo of Hyrule Warriors at Gamestop, and it makes me wonder, where's the eShop demo? They had demos of Smash, Mario Kart, and Dankey Kang, too. Meanwhile, the Wii U has been out for around 2 years and there's 14 demos on the eShop, where only one or two are first party titles. Come on Ninty...

Probably various contracts with retailers to have the demo be only playable in stores.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A lot of big companies claim demos actually do not have a positive effect on sales.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

A lot of big companies claim demos actually do not have a positive effect on sales.

Yeah, demos only work if a) your game is actually good and b) you can actually have said goodness come across in 10 minutes to 1 hour and c) if the person doesn't feel they've had their fill of said goodness just from the demo. You have to be positive of all three of these things if you want a demo to really increase sales and there's not really a downside to not releasing one.

Still, it's something that's good for the consumer overall. One of the better things MS did with Live Arcade was require a demo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Even with those variables being in play, I think a demo for Hyrule Warriors would prove positive. For example, I would have decided on fi I wanted the game by now if I could score a demo of it and see what it's like. Since it's basically Dynasty Warriors with Zelda fan-service littered throughout, I'd just need to rely on gameplay a lone and the Zelda charm would carry me the rest of the way.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My favorite thing about Hyrule Warriors is that it uses the gamepad screen for co-op so the other player gets the TV and no splitscreen is necessary. That was a great idea and an excellent use of the gamepad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Hyrule Warriors would actually benefit from a demo. Its ideas are easy to get across. W101's demo certainly didn't encourage me to want to get that game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can but it's a major pain in the rear end. Just get the Mayflash and save yourself the headache.

Plus, IIRC, the current drivers and stuff only make the controller be read as a generic joystick that needs configuring, meanwhile the Mayflash dongle can let you do that or make the computer think it's a 360 controller by flicking a switch.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The problem with most demos, is that they have to teach the players how to control the game, so most of them end up being the terrible tutorial levels.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The demo for Wonderful 101 was a mixed bag for me. I still want to buy the game; I had fun and I liked the basic mechanices but I didn't really know what I was doing until the very end of the demo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The W101 demo was necessary to communicate just what kind of game it actually is. People still thought it was a Pikmin clone until it came out, and I think a lot of people still do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Imagine if it actually was a Pikmin game with Olimar using them to defend Hocotate.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

greatn posted:

Imagine if it actually was a Pikmin game with Olimar using them to defend Hocotate.

I would totally be okay with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin desperately needs a Louie rival fight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They should re-purpose that pikachu detective game into a Pikmin game where you play as a tiny hard-boiled detective trying to pin Louie for his crimes against hocotanity.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

allfrogs247 posted:

The demo for Wonderful 101 was a mixed bag for me. I still want to buy the game; I had fun and I liked the basic mechanices but I didn't really know what I was doing until the very end of the demo.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The W101 demo was necessary to communicate just what kind of game it actually is. People still thought it was a Pikmin clone until it came out, and I think a lot of people still do.

This was the case for me. I thought it was p. much just Superhero Pikmin until I tried it. I spent probably 90% of the demo having no goddamn clue what I was doing, just barely succeeded in completing it, then (like I do most games) bought it when it was about $10 and never started playing it.

I need to, though; I've been buying Wii U/3DS games like they're Steam games for the past year. They're too expensive to do that, ugh.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hyrule Warriors is super silly fun and I love it a lot. It's weird seeing anime boobs in a Zelda game though, but this version of Link as a mass-murdering warlord with insatiable bloodlust is pretty endearing.

e: Also the awful butt rock is just fantastic. What a great stupid bad game. (I've only played about half of one other Musou game before.)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 5, 2014

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Meldonox posted:

I need to, though; I've been buying Wii U/3DS games like they're Steam games for the past year. They're too expensive to do that, ugh.

If you have a Wii U and you don't play Wonderful 101, just return the loving console. Game is seriously this platform's Viewtiful Joe; if you don't play it, I have nothing but pity for you. Having said that, it's very love it or hate it. If you hate it, suicide is probably your life's best prospect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I didn't really like Viewtiful Joe that much either. Honestly, I haven't played a Platinum game I enjoyed.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

greatn posted:

I didn't really like Viewtiful Joe that much either. Honestly, I haven't played a Platinum game I enjoyed.

:getout:

Edit: I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RadicalR posted:

:getout:

Edit: I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I was unimpressed by Viewtiful Joe when I first played it, but I think the difficulty was what caught me off guard. I didn't really "get" Platinum/Clover games until Bayonetta, and by then I no longer had a system to play Joe on.

If they did Viewtiful Joe HD for the Wii U I'd buy it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

While that may be true that everyone has differing opinions, drat near everything Platinum manufactures is manna bestowed by generous and loving Japanese gods and it pains me to see such beautiful gifts dragged through the dirt.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

greatn posted:

I never thought these words could exist in a sentence together. I loving love action games, so Platinum is an easy fav.

It was kinda funny, I was on test team for Ryse. My general opinion was "it's okay, for baby's first action game". After playing Platinum games, it's really hard to play other action titles. Only a few come close (God of War being a standout here).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ryse started off as a Kinect-exclusive game, didn't it? I guess there wasn't much that could be done to salvage that game, no matter what.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sulphix posted:

It was kinda funny, I was on test team for Ryse. My general opinion was "it's okay, for baby's first action game". After playing Platinum games, it's really hard to play other action titles. Only a few come close (God of War being a standout here).

Which is odd because a lot of people that like Platinum games think that God of War combat loving blows, myself included. The closest thing to it are the Devil May Cry games (not 2 or the reboot though).

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Do the number of stars by your character actually do anything or is it just an indicator of how many KO's you've done?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everything about Platinum games is just so loving technical and arkane.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^--*arcane

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is odd because a lot of people that like Platinum games think that God of War combat loving blows, myself included. The closest thing to it are the Devil May Cry games (not 2 or the reboot though).

God of War manages to be technical enough to not be boring to a Platinum vet though. On harder difficulties the game is just as merciless when it comes to perfect play--try playing God of War 3 on Titan difficulty, where you die in four hits from pretty much anybody. The game is all about timing your dodges and parries, exactly like a Kamiya game. To say nothing of the visceral visual nature of the games!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you like technical and precise gameplay that requires good timing skills and perhaps practice, play Onechanbara and try to learn how to do full Cool Combos. :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El04gTYZP5E

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 5, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Playing GoW on the higher difficulties is bullshit and the combat system falls apart at the seams and you're reduced to spamming that one move over and over again that keeps you relatively safe while enemies with no hit-stun dogpile you.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
There are legitimate Kinect games out there I enjoy, but they just have to be designed around the natural limitations of a input system that has around an 80% accuracy rate (which is still horrendous poo poo). There was a Suda 51 title, Diabolical Pitch that was surprisingly good for Kinect. Wanna say there was a pretty decent avatar baseball game too.

The big problem with Ryse is that the combat was just way too shallow. Based off the Arkham/Assassin's Creed style of a heavy counter system, but it had none of the depth of good systems (like Arkham). For example, in Arkham city there's a ton of counters (single hit, double hit, triple hit, shields, edged weapons, electrified, guns, etc), but Ryse pretty much had 2: regular counter and perfect counter. Just a complete lack of depth. There was also gear/loot, but the choices/specs offered by it were also lacking. It was also incredibly easy to hit "perfect" timing, which would increase the attack of your character. Combination of incredibly shallow combat with a ridiculously low skill ceiling.

But hey, the graphics looked cool in commercials and tech demos, so there's that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Playing GoW on the higher difficulties is bullshit and the combat system falls apart at the seams and you're reduced to spamming that one move over and over again that keeps you relatively safe while enemies with no hit-stun dogpile you.

Which move is that? I've mostly made it through by exploiting enemy A.I. and chain-grab stunning and dodge-rolling like a lunatic.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

And that's just yet another one by Kamiya :v:

Hell I just finished W101 on easy mode a few days ago and it still provided enough challenge to be fun (...and enough to end up with the consolation prize a few times :smith:). I'll start a new game on normal sometime, doesn't look like it has a new game+ mode from a quick search, but do you have to get everything (i.e. the figures) on a single playthrough or do those stay across different plays?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

And that's just yet another one by Kamiya :v:

Hell I just finished W101 on easy mode a few days ago and it still provided enough challenge to be fun (...and enough to end up with the consolation prize a few times :smith:). I'll start a new game on normal sometime, doesn't look like it has a new game+ mode from a quick search, but do you have to get everything (i.e. the figures) on a single playthrough or do those stay across different plays?

It absolutely has New Game +, it's called "Hard" difficulty. Then Very Hard, then another even harder tier. A lot changes in between, and the difficulty modes have unique Kakoo-Regah missions too, so you'll be playing the game until it finally beats you.

It has beaten me. I think I've really hit the limits of my skill in terms of some of the bonus missions. Hard mode introduces some rather startling changes to the enemy line-up too...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Viewtiful Joe was really fun when I played it, but it's so insanely hard and the checkpoints are so spread out that it kinda just stops being enjoyable. It's like taking a 200 question quiz, but then being told you did it in a Number 3 pencil and you have to take it all over again.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
There isn't a New Game+ mode because you can select any unlocked chapter and play at any unlocked difficulty. No need for a new "playthrough".

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which move is that? I've mostly made it through by exploiting enemy A.I. and chain-grab stunning and dodge-rolling like a lunatic.

Dunno what move is being referenced either. As long as you're actually using all your resources (item cooldowns, magic abilities, rage meter) the combat remains pretty fluid and not reliant on "gaming" the game. Funny watching LPs of GoW titles, because the magic meter/cooldown meter barely moves in a majority of them. These abilities are there for a reason.

Having said that, it really annoyed me in Ascension that all the magic spells are essentially the same with different VFX. Minor differences, but should've been major differences.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Some confirmed release dates:

quote:

Art of Balance - October 9th, 2014 (NA)
Ballpoint Universe: Infinite - October 16th, 2014
Paper Monsters Recut - October 16th, 2014

Also, I tried the Wooden Sen'Sey demo. I don't recommend anyone else repeat my mistake.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those of you who don't read the eShop thread: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is out next week on the NA VC, Harmony of Dissonance will be out the next week, and Aria of Sorrow will probably be out the week after that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

For those of you who don't read the eShop thread: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is out next week on the NA VC, Harmony of Dissonance will be out the next week, and Aria of Sorrow will probably be out the week after that.

Nice, so they are making October Castlevania month by burning off the GBA games on us.

I don't have any complaints about this. Metroidvanias are always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are pretty good, so that's definitely something I can appreciate. Reminds me that I still need to play Symphony of the Night at some point, though.

• Locked thread