Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh yeah, they did remove Ayako and Rin's weird sexual tension didn't they?

It's times like that I appreciate them making something as massive as stay night approachable and cutting a lot of fat out, but you do miss some characterization that just simply isn't important enough to leave in the show, like that.

For Ayako and Rin, they talk like once or twice in the entire VN, and their relationship (and what Rin thinks about her) obviously isn't prominent enough to really keep in, but I got the feeling from the episode that it didn't communicate Ayako is like Rin's only friend in school, someone she actually likes enough to hang out with, even if they don't hang out very often.

Then again, they do sit down for a cup of tea and talk about things that are never brought up again, so I suppose you have to have your priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the original prologue was like 3 or 4 hours of reading whittled down to 45 minutes and yet it didn't feel rushed. It was edited down to HELL.

I'm pretty sure most of that was narration setting the scene (and explaining why stuff going was impossible and therefore cool). Although I guess I did forget some of the scenes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rin's got the snake skin, Gilgamesh vs Rin confirmed as a possible canon timeline.

(you should read GvR if you've played the game)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HellCopter posted:

From reading the visual novel, I didn't get the impression that Rin blushed so much. I thought that she was a bit cooler than that.

She's a hardcore tsundere, of course she does.

The stupidest part is (spoilers for all routes, Heaven's Feel and Fate/Zero in particular) that Rin is like "there can't be any other masters since the Matou family blood has thinned and can't produce mages," despite Rin knowing that Sakura is her blood-related (e.g. magic-powered) sister and was sent to foster with the Matou family due to her magical capabilities.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 5, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Angry Grimace posted:

She's a hardcore tsundere, of course she does.

The stupidest part is (spoilers for all routes, Heaven's Feel and Fate/Zero in particular) that Rin is like "there can't be any other masters since the Matou family blood has thinned and can't produce mages," despite Rin knowing that Sakura is her blood-related (e.g. magic-powered) sister and was sent to foster with the Matou family due to her magical capabilities.

She went and checked Sakura immediately, but didn't find a Command Spell because she had already given it to Shinji.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Also Rin is totally in denial about Sakura's everything. She is kind of a dick like that.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Oh man, the Archer/Rin stuff was just so much fun. :allears: Archer impressing Rin with his cooking and cleaning skills is just too funny.

Would honestly love to skip right to ep 2, but I can't complain too much about watching another 45~ minutes of UFOtable stuff.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh god, oh man, oh hell yes to everything. :allears:

I like the art style because the studio definitely improved upon making it close to Takeuchi's style with slightly better proportions compared to the VN. It looked weirder in Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin, it's better balanced here and actually helps make it stand out a little more.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I've always really liked Shinji's VA. He's really good at sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

This was a good first episode, but I thought Fate/Zero did a better job of kicking things off. Showing most of the masters summoning their servants was cool.

vvvvvvvvvvvv That was pretty silly.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hommando posted:

I've always really liked Shinji's VA. He's really good at sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

This was a good first episode, but I thought Fate/Zero did a better job of kicking things off. Showing most of the masters summoning their servants was cool.

Counterpoint: No walking in circles while expositing

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cake Attack posted:

Sometimes a scene that's in motion gets its words across better than one sitting still. At least, in the sense that it prevents falling asleep. Also foreshadowing. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Vague UBW spoilers Now that I'm experiencing this route again after the VN, I'm really coming to understand Archer's attitude and his initial approach upon being summoned in this prologue. His words make a lot more sense given what we find out he is in UBW.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I love that scene for how dumb it is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rise and Tokiomi walking around Kirei had to be the funniest thing I've seen in Fate and this is a series of unintentionally funny poo poo

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just to check, but was Archer bluffing when he said (UBW spoilers)Gae Bolg would have killed him, right? Later on in UBW he whips out Rho Aius against Gae Bolg and successfully blocks it, so I don't see why he wouldn't have done that if Shirou hadn't interrupted the fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Just to check, but was Archer bluffing when he said (UBW spoilers)Gae Bolg would have killed him, right? Later on in UBW he whips out Rho Aius against Gae Bolg and successfully blocks it, so I don't see why he wouldn't have done that if Shirou hadn't interrupted the fight.

Rho Aius only protects against the long-range version of Gae Bolg, not the short-range version.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The explanation is very complicated and would require a conversation of spoiler bars to fully elaborate on, so maybe this isn't the thread to ask.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The explanation is very complicated and would require a conversation of spoiler bars to fully elaborate on, so maybe this isn't the thread to ask.

I'll explain in one sentence.

Nasu just makes poo poo up when it's convenient.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Would honestly love to skip right to ep 2

We'd miss out on some good Tiger if we did that, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We need more Taiga.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was so happy as she ran down the stairs with her arms stuck out like a kid.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Lots of exposition but rewarded by a slick fight scene between Lancer and Archer. I'm liking it so far.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Sometimes a scene that's in motion gets its words across better than one sitting still. At least, in the sense that it prevents falling asleep. Also foreshadowing. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Vague UBW spoilers Now that I'm experiencing this route again after the VN, I'm really coming to understand Archer's attitude and his initial approach upon being summoned in this prologue. His words make a lot more sense given what we find out he is in UBW.

I definitely agree. (Spoilers from the UBW route of the VN) Especially when I reread a fair amount of UBW recently, it's really interesting to go back and see the characterization in a new light, as well as the foreshadowing. At one point Rin asks Archer if he knew Saber somehow, because he stopped when he first saw her in surprise. That's visible in this episode, you can see him pause and hesitate. The lines about Rin being his ideal master and fitting him perfectly get a lot more interesting as well.

All in all, they really did a great job at condensing a very long opening into a short time period, and I'm shocked it didn't feel rushed at all. I hope they manage to make the next episode just as interesting. Rin and Archer are even more adorable here than in the VN, she gets so flustered from his compliments :3:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

(Spoilers from the UBW route of the VN) Especially when I reread a fair amount of UBW recently, it's really interesting to go back and see the characterization in a new light, as well as the foreshadowing. At one point Rin asks Archer if he knew Saber somehow, because he stopped when he first saw her in surprise. That's visible in this episode, you can see him pause and hesitate. The lines about Rin being his ideal master and fitting him perfectly get a lot more interesting as well.

There's also a moment like that in Fate when Shirou gets to ask Saber about one of the Servants he's already encountered, and your choices are Berserker, Archer, or Lancer. If you ask about Archer, Shirou asks if Archer is anyone Saber knew when she was alive, and she says she doesn't recognize him. Shirou responds by saying that the way he was acting definitely made it seem like Archer knew her, and being that was my second time through the entire VN, I definitely picked up on that.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I couldn't stand the VN's due to all the pandering stuff. F/Z I didn't like much, thought it was average overall with a few good moments.

Somehow, still, I feel Nasuverse is growing on me. I've enjoyed the first episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nasu apparently livetweeted the show last night! Someone translated his tweets with links provided for proof:

http://pastebin.com/8XYjEkHt

For someone who's made a ludicrous franchise, he always sounded so laid back to me.

quote:

And here we have the familiar Tohsaka basement. If this were Dark Souls, there'd be a hidden passage somewhere.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Shinji! An unwavering gentleman through all of Fate's ten years! So perfect~! Embrace me~!"

Haha

quote:

Who called this guy a not-handsome Lancer? This Lancer's plenty handsome! (delight)

Nasu in an okay dude.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 5, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Compendium posted:

For someone who's made a ludicrous franchise, he always sounded so laid back to me.

Of course he's just another geek. Type-Moon started out as he and his friends making something in their spare time.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Nasu posted:

This stylish suspicious person looks so self-important though...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Perfect. She'll never notice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Miniskirt! Kneesocks! The Rin that we know has arrived!

quote:

Everything about this girl is so erotic though.

Nasu you tremendous dork.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
He truly is a nerd.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rin was very cute in that ep though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Doesn't really hide behind it either, given the D&D status screens.

quote:

(On whether K-ON! is an example of having good female characters)

Nasu: No, instead of female superiority, thats's just absence of men. It looks like girls are being prioritized, but if men don't appear to begin with, it's like nothing more than building a farm where there can be no antagonism. In that sense, women become more like mascots... it might mean looking down on them. Not by the creators, but by the audience. Speaking of my own works, people often tell me "Nasu-san, you really appreciate women's rights, because you write stories with strong girls in them", and I agreed too, but lately I started thinking that might not be the case. In Tsukihime and in Fate, the heroines Arcueid and Saber are the ones fighting on the front lines and the protagonists are behind them. In Kara no Kyoukai, the fighting is always left to the heroine Ryougi Shiki, and the protagonist Kokutou Mikiya becomes just the man who feeds the heroine. That composition is actually very male chauvinistic. When you think about physical strength and emotional strength, the latter is more difficult to achieve. Anyone can be strong if they pick up a weapon, but you can't become mentally strong just by obtaining a thing. In the works of Nasu Kinoko, strength in battle is possessed by the heroines, and the male characters symbolize emotional strength. When I noticed this, I felt like even I'm stuck in my ways in some respects. For example Arcueid is said to be the strongest in the world of Type-Moon, but at the same time because she's in love with Shiki she tends to give in to what he says. At those times the man is the one put in a superior position. If it were truly even, Arcueid could use her superfluous power to send Shiki flying. Like "you two-timing bastard!"

I'd want a truly powerful heroine to have the emotional specs to match. Rin and Saber and Arcueid aren't just dumb heroines. But, I can't say that the way the protagonists who only have emotional strength teach something to these perfect heroines doesn't look like a metaphor for how men win out in real society. If we're aiming for an even world, we shouldn't erase men like in K-On! or push the weakness of falling in love solely on the heroines, we should consider an equal relation.
Seems like an OK dude though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

That interview answer is what made me respect him immensely when it comes to his characters. There are lots of flaws despite the strong surface features he gives his heroines, but he at least acknowledges it and shows that he does think a lot about characterization.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's a really interesting interview. Can anyone who's read Mahoyo comment on whether his female characters have improved since then?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BlitzBlast posted:

Not really complicated, and there is no other thread, so.

Major spoilers for next week though!

A shield can't work against the "regular" Gae Bolg because it doesn't strike in the conventional sense. If you imagine your life as a book being written, Gae Bolg is a vandal who flips ahead and writes "And then this rear end in a top hat gets stabbed in the heart" at the bottom of the page. Everything that occurs between you reaching that point is just the author (reality) trying to write a way for this rear end in a top hat to get stabbed in the heart.

If Gae Bolg is activated, and the next moment you teleport to the moon, Gae Bolg will be there to stab you in the heart. It's unbeatable...unless you have enough divine protection/luck/plot armor. In that case, it's possible to keep Gae Bolg from writing that all-important "in the heart" part, and thus you can "dodge" it.

So yeah, Archer would have died hard if there hadn't been an interruption. It's why he later goads Lancer into using the thrown version on him, which doesn't have this trait. The thrown version is just a missile that you can't dodge because it's too fast, and can't block because it's too strong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Not really complicated, and there is no other thread, so.

Major spoilers for next week though!

A shield can't work against the "regular" Gae Bolg because it doesn't strike in the conventional sense. If you imagine your life as a book being written, Gae Bolg is a vandal who flips ahead and writes "And then this rear end in a top hat gets stabbed in the heart" at the bottom of the page. Everything that occurs between you reaching that point is just the author (reality) trying to write a way for this rear end in a top hat to get stabbed in the heart.

That's kind of lame. It would be better if it had the ability to always hit you, but you could prevent death by deflecting it after it's made contact with you or something (sort of like when Killua is fighting that fish guy with the darts in HxH).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

That's kind of lame. It would be better if it had the ability to always hit you, but you could prevent death by deflecting it after it's made contact with you or something (sort of like when Killua is fighting that fish guy with the darts in HxH).

Mythologically, it's one of those "always fatal" weapons, and I think Nasu had some interesting interpretations as to how it worked given the conflicting myths about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I somehow started reading FSN while knowing almost nothing about it and was so loving confused by the status screens. I was honestly expecting some bizarre SRPG mode to suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

It's really awesome in Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

F/HA was kind of an aimless fandisk by the main, but it had some really good fights. It also did a really good job expanding on the backstories of some of the Servants/Masters who didn't get their day in the sun.

• Locked thread