Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I didn't see a thread on general repair. My husband cracked the screen to his iPhone 5 and wants to replace it himself rather than take it to an Apple store. Problem is, all the screen replacements I find have mixed reviews, so I wanted to know if anyone here has recommendations for a decent brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

I leave BT on my 6+ so my Fitbit can sync in the background.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

"Motion calibration" is always using location services on my 6, is that normal? Getting sick of seeing that arrow.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Opera Bitch posted:

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I didn't see a thread on general repair. My husband cracked the screen to his iPhone 5 and wants to replace it himself rather than take it to an Apple store. Problem is, all the screen replacements I find have mixed reviews, so I wanted to know if anyone here has recommendations for a decent brand.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Display+Assembly+Replacement/10906

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If I purchase an unlocked iPhone 6 outright (which means a T-Mobile model at the Apple Store), how do I activate it on AT&T? Can I pop in my 5s' SIM and just go from there?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I typically use apps like Swarm and Foursquare, plus tweeting and posting on Facebook from my location are always going on so I'm used to the motion thing being there pretty much all the time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I purchase an unlocked iPhone 6 outright (which means a T-Mobile model at the Apple Store), how do I activate it on AT&T? Can I pop in my 5s' SIM and just go from there?

I heard some murmuring from someone somewhere that the new SIM card has some changes due to NFC. However, if you just walk into AT&T and say you need a new SIM because you got your phone replaced, they'll give you a free one. If you say you need a new one, they'll charge you $18.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Source on that? Sounds like complete shenanigans.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Att corporate has never charged for a sim card that I've seen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A corporate ATT store should never charge you for a new SIM. An independent one may because they can and because it's 99.9% profit. ATT charges them peanuts for a SIM card itself. There are no fees on ATTs end for activating a new sim and killing the old one.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Mailbox app isn't giving me notifications or badge icons even though in the setting for the app they're both turned on. In the Settings app Mailbox doesn't even show up in the notifications section. What?

E: deleted and reinstalled and never even got a prompt to allow it to send me notifications. I haven't used the app in months so I don't know if anything big has changed but it would seem like a mail app should notify you when you have mail.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2014

sum
Nov 15, 2010

are there any resources online wher i can learn about iphone contracts/service in a way that isn't inentionally designed to confuse me. Thanks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

supersteve posted:

Source on that? Sounds like complete shenanigans.

You need a compatible SIM for NFC, but your 5s SIM will work for everything else.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Does this apply to the Verizon model as well? When I got my 6 I swapped the SIM card from 5s into it. Do I need a newer one to be able to use apple pay later this month?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well that's annoying got the 6 with 128GB and I have 99GB free and it won't let me install the Infinity Blade bundle because the app store says I don't have enough space on it. :ohdear: Downloading it from iTunes then will sync it. So be warned some older apps might have problems with the larger storage sizes and refuse to install from the iPhone Appstore app. Hopefully that won't happen too much now from now on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Is anyone else really looking forward to apple Pay? I hope the big chains like Target sign on.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm looking forward to Apple making it easier for retailers to shake money out of my like I'm a human pinata.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm interested in it, but I still don't use passbook even for Delta so I don't know if I'll actually get any use out of it.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

Is anyone else really looking forward to apple Pay? I hope the big chains like Target sign on.

I would like to just pay with stuff without having to go into my wallet pull out a card and swipe it so yes looking forward to Apple Pay.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Agronox posted:

Yes, but even more so when the watch comes out. And even more so then when I'm at disneyland and can purchase a churro with my wrist. That is the dream.

EDIT: quoted the wrong person like a dumb. Twice.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I put together some videos I took with iPhone 6 today at Disney World:

Playing around with action shots and slow motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqBHd4oVE8

Full parade video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Deysxh1Us
These were all edited with the iMovie app too.

It's a shame I can't upload the 60 FPS versions to Youtube because they look amazing.

Also note: trying to film a 15 minute parade outside in direct Florida sunlight will overheat your iPhone.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 5, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

You need a compatible SIM for NFC, but your 5s SIM will work for everything else.

Far as I know this isn't quite true. The basis is on this is that Isis (now Softcard) required a special SIM for use, but Apple so far has insisted they don't need the secure SIM for Apple pay. So unless something changes any SIM is good for a 6 or 6+, and yes they are free at ATTS stores (though you now have to activate them on the spot.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Zero One posted:

I put together some videos I took with iPhone 6 today at Disney World:

Playing around with action shots and slow motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqBHd4oVE8

Is Big Thunder Mountain less shaky now or is the image stabilization that good? I remember it being really shaky.

Unrelated but did you go on Expedition Everest? Is the Yeti still broken?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

the kawaiiest posted:

Is Big Thunder Mountain less shaky now or is the image stabilization that good? I remember it being really shaky.

The IS is that good.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

The IS is that good.

Well drat. I wonder if the OIS on the 6+ is noticeably better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

the kawaiiest posted:

Well drat. I wonder if the OIS on the 6+ is noticeably better.

You are making the same mistake I did. I have a 6+. Both the 6 and 6+ have video digital IS. Optical IS is on the 6+ for still photos only.

[Edit]
While we're talking cameras:

I am watching a lot of videos shot on the 6 in slow motion and they are crisp and kind of amazing.

My 6+ videos in slow motion seem to be a little "dirty" both in normal speeds but most obviously in the actual slow motion. It's like a slightly hazy, blocky artifacts aura around fast movements-made-slow.

The vids are extremely well-lit, too. Unobstructed afternoon sunny Sunday.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 5, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

You are making the same mistake I did. I have a 6+. Both the 6 and 6+ have video digital IS. Optical IS is on the 6+ for still photos only.

Oh really? I couldn't tell the difference in the sample photos that I saw, so I thought it was mostly for video. Thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh really? I couldn't tell the difference in the sample photos that I saw, so I thought it was mostly for video. Thanks.

It's primarily for better low light shots.

Here's one of my kid in the bedroom after nap time. On my 5 to this would've been grain salad.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

It's primarily for better low light shots.

Here's one of my kid in the bedroom after nap time. On my 5 to this would've been grain salad.

Awww :3: and yeah I can imagine that it would be a noisy mess, even on the 5s which quite a bit better than the 5 in low light.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

the kawaiiest posted:

As said, yes it is really good. You also can't tell how much my hands shake in the clips where I am standing and shooting.

And yes, the Yeti is still broken.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll likely get an iPhone 6/6+ soon and I'd like to set it up as a new phone. I've used iOS since the original iPhone and would like to experience the new one with the default, "out of the box" settings. But, I would also like to import my message history, which goes back to 2007. Is there a way to do this by hacking an iTunes backup? Alternatively, would "reset all settings" and "reset home screen" have the same effect?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This is now the 7th or 8th time iTunes has felt the need to sync my whole library back onto my iPhone 6 since I got it. I don't fancy having to go through more repeats of wiping my entire phone, getting everything back on there, having it good for a few days before iTunes re-syncs all my music again leaving me with 30GB of "other" where my music library used to be.

Is there any 3rd party music management stuff for iPhones that works reliably?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is now the 7th or 8th time iTunes has felt the need to sync my whole library back onto my iPhone 6 since I got it. I don't fancy having to go through more repeats of wiping my entire phone, getting everything back on there, having it good for a few days before iTunes re-syncs all my music again leaving me with 30GB of "other" where my music library used to be.

Google play music? It won't be in the music app, but it's free and convenient cloud storage.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duckman2008 posted:

Google play music? It won't be in the music app, but it's free and convenient cloud storage.
Does that need to be streamed? Quite often I'm in areas with little to no mobile data (plus I'm on a 2GB monthly contract) so it really needs to be stored locally. Plus having to pay £9.99 a month for the unrestricted stuff seems a bit much for something the phone should be doing as a base feature!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Does that need to be streamed? Quite often I'm in areas with little to no mobile data (plus I'm on a 2GB monthly contract) so it really needs to be stored locally. Plus having to pay £9.99 a month for the unrestricted stuff seems a bit much for something the phone should be doing as a base feature!

You can tell Google Music to cache things. When I lived in a place with slightly worse signal I made a playlist with about 1000 or so tracks that I kept cached. When a new album came out that I wanted to be able to listen to without streaming I would add it to the playlist and it would be downloaded automatically.

That said, that was on Android; you'll probably have to open the iOS app to prompt the playlist to sync and download new additions.

[Edit: Also if you're just uploading and streaming your own music collection it's free. The $10/month is for All Access, which is a Spotify/Rdio/Beats style streaming service.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 5, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Zero One posted:

As said, yes it is really good. You also can't tell how much my hands shake in the clips where I am standing and shooting.

And yes, the Yeti is still broken.

Disneyland thunder mountain got new tracks this year. I think Disney World did a couple years ago but I don't go there as much so I'm less sure about that.

oblongshrew
Sep 2, 2004

Look at the bones!

CopyTrans has worked for me when iTunes is being temperamental and refusing to copy certain songs/audiobooks over.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

oblongshrew posted:

CopyTrans has worked for me when iTunes is being temperamental and refusing to copy certain songs/audiobooks over.
I'll look into this, thanks! Can it be used as an iTunes replacement altogether?

oblongshrew
Sep 2, 2004

Look at the bones!
Yeah, for me it was a complete replacement up until I bought my iPhone 6 and iTunes started to behave itself :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

oblongshrew posted:

Yeah, for me it was a complete replacement up until I bought my iPhone 6 and iTunes started to behave itself :)
It's been the opposite for me - iTunes was a horribly slow but just about functional piece of software for my iPhone 4 and 5. My 6 is where it decides to poo poo the bed and delete all my phone's music every so often! :(